Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: "I was an idiot..." (155)

Postby revgen on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:39 pm

I can't find a link. That's why I asked. It was over a year ago.

As far why the Lakers should fire him, for me the immediate reason comes down to player development. I personally believe that Rambis is a better development coach than D'Antoni and will do a better job emphasizing fundamentals, especially on defense. The young guys we have on the team could use it. I want to see how well they can function playing team defense. Something D'Antoni won't emphasize in practice. If they respond well to Rambis and the rest of the staff pressuring them to work together on defense, it will give us a better idea of who we'd like to bring back next season.

Hiring the Van Gundy's next season is a nice idea, but I want to find out how we can transition post-D'Antoni. Rambis can help out with that right now. Especially if our goal is to call this season off and get ready for next season with a new defensive-minded head coach.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby karacha on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:13 pm

Well, Rambis can - and should - work with them right now. Nothing stops him for teaching defense because, well... he's paid to do it.
But let me ask you this -- do you honestly believe MDA is going to fired this season?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:22 pm

karacha wrote:Well, Rambis can - and should - work with them right now. Nothing stops him for teaching defense because, well... he's paid to do it.
But let me ask you this -- do you honestly believe MDA is going to fired this season?

I don't know.

I have no idea what the front office wants to do. I don't know their game plan.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby purp n gold on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:43 pm

^ that is the Lakers' current problem. They've made "smart" moves here and there, and even some of their mistakes seem defensible. But collectively, none of the FO's actions in the past year suggest that there is an overlying strategy or plan. That is the most frustrating aspect of this season.

D'Antoni gets snarky and answers questions this way too, a reporter will try to address a problem the team has, and MDA tries to divert the attention to something else
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:45 pm

The FO plan is/was obvious: go all in for Kobe.

The bet didn't pay off, but it's clear that's what they did. Now they're scrambling to respond to their poor bet.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby purp n gold on Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:00 pm

I agree at some point the FO said all in for Kobe, & they certainly proved it with his contract. But over the summer, the team's actions seemed like they were all in for D'Antoni and his system.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby revgen on Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:57 pm

I don't think it was a bet/gamble. More like a panic response to Jerry Buss' condition. They were trying to assemble a roster to compete for a chip before he passed on.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Slurpee22 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:02 pm

For, Mitch to say... MDA is doing a good job... that takes a lot of guts IMO; this is the same guy who needed Kobe to explode just for the Lakers to sneak into the playoffs last year.... It could very well be... the reason why the team is supporting MDA is because they have no choice... they don't want to fire 2 coaches in a year span.... they can't afford to pay 3 coaches who aren't coaching the team...
Slurpee22

Postby LooN3y on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:19 am

This man refused to utilize Dwight Howard and pau gasol, he refuses to use Kaman, the man wanted Jordan hill and pau gasol to camp put in the 3pt line I'm not sure what more we need to oust this piece of [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]
LooN3y

Postby Herm24 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 am

he HATES big men .. his coaching style is pick up basketballl .. I think i saw him at LA Fitness the other day scouting
Herm24

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:47 am

revgen wrote:I don't think it was a bet/gamble. More like a panic response to Jerry Buss' condition. They were trying to assemble a roster to compete for a chip before he passed on.

They acquired Nash and Howard by selling their future assets. That's a gamble.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:51 am

therealdeal wrote:
revgen wrote:I don't think it was a bet/gamble. More like a panic response to Jerry Buss' condition. They were trying to assemble a roster to compete for a chip before he passed on.

Doing one of those is a gamble. Doing both in addition to the Brown firing was full-scale panic.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:01 am

revgen wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Doing one of those is a gamble. Doing both in addition to the Brown firing was full-scale panic.

I don't see why 1) they're mutually exclusive. There's no reason to deny it being a gamble even if the cause behind the gamble is panic and 2) I don't see why doing one is a gamble, but two is something different. They're both gambles. Completely separate gambling instances.

As for firing Brown, that was certainly panic. They wanted something fun and/or successful, Brown wasn't either. They gave him a year and he stunk, then he continued to stink into the new season. He either should have been given more time, or should have been fired in the summer. I have a feeling players complained, which helped make that decision quicker.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:06 am

therealdeal wrote:
revgen wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

I don't see why 1) they're mutually exclusive. There's no reason to deny it being a gamble even if the cause behind the gamble is panic and 2) I don't see why doing one is a gamble, but two is something different. They're both gambles. Completely separate gambling instances.

As for firing Brown, that was certainly panic. They wanted something fun and/or successful, Brown wasn't either. They gave him a year and he stunk, then he continued to stink into the new season. He either should have been given more time, or should have been fired in the summer. I have a feeling players complained, which helped make that decision quicker.

Let me rephrase it then. I don't think these decisions were calculated bets/gambles. These decisions were made in a panic response to Jerry Buss' condition.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:08 am

Then it's a simple disagreement. I think those decisions were made because they had a chance to field a team with overwhelming talent and they took that gamble. It was a good gamble at the time, but it didn't work out.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:44 am

therealdeal wrote:Then it's a simple disagreement. I think those decisions were made because they had a chance to field a team with overwhelming talent and they took that gamble. It was a good gamble at the time, but it didn't work out.

Yup. It was all about squeezing as much out of Kobe's remaining shelf life and trying to win now. We had a heck of a team on paper with Nash, Kobe, Gasol and Howard. IIRC, we were the favs or the 2nd fav to win it all in the pre-season. There was no denying the talent on this team. Some thought we might be the 03-04 Lakers again while others thought there was little comparison. Some even thought we might challenge for the 72-10 Bulls record. It was a calculated gamble. I see no panic in either move. Now if we are talking about the coaching carousel, that's a different story.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:43 pm

Doc Brown wrote:"He wears a red coat at Staples"

How does that diminish his credibility? Go read what Sam Amico puts out for trade rumors if you want to diminish someone's credibility.

No thanks. I refuse to read Sam Amico, see above.

How does that diminish someone's credibility? I don't know. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that his performance is evaluated by the ability to disseminate reliable and accurate information.

Instead he mocked himself and no, it was not blatantly obvious that it was a joke. "Red coat"? WTF does that mean to someone who knows nothing of the Staples Center and Lakers? Could your glasses be any more tinted?
Chillbongo

Postby nolQQkpass on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:14 pm

everything has gone south since jerry west went north.. he would of made a splash already.. dantonio didnt do jack in phoenix.. suns had a decent squad of nash, marion, grant hill and stoutmire..
nolQQkpass

Postby last stand on Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:19 am

keep him the rest of the season. he's got the ball in marshalls hands the whole game which is expediting his development which is vital to this franchise, he's helping to lose games (but far from the only reason) which is vital to this franchise

if you look at it glass half full he's doing the franchise an absolute service right now
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby MC on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:12 am

I don't necessarily see the Howard move as a gamble..... it was more like making the best of a really bad situation and in hind sight it did not fully work out but we did get more out of Howard in 1 year than Bynum has done since that trade.

The real gamble was the combo of trading for a 38 yr old point guard.......it became front and center once they panicked and went the MDA way........... the hole concept of going up tempo to work around a 38 yr old PG is by definition a huge gamble IMO.......... and IMO it was because at one point MDA and the Suns reminded them somehow of Showtime. Outside of the transition pace there is not5hing else that is showtime within MDAs philosophy lol. That opinion by them alone suggests the ownership, even when under the good doctor, are not real basketball guys....... the good doctor was just smart enough to listen to basketball guys and gave them the room to operate....not sure Jim operates in this manner, way more misplaced ego than the Doctor had...... of course I don't know the situation at a deep level, just how he comes off to me with some of the little things he's said over the years as he's become more involved to now.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby LooN3y on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:52 am

MC wrote:I don't necessarily see the Howard move as a gamble..... it was more like making the best of a really bad situation and in hind sight it did not fully work out but we did get more out of Howard in 1 year than Bynum has done since that trade.

The real gamble was the combo of trading for a 38 yr old point guard.......it became front and center once they panicked and went the MDA way........... the hole concept of going up tempo to work around a 38 yr old PG is by definition a huge gamble IMO.......... and IMO it was because at one point MDA and the Suns reminded them somehow of Showtime. Outside of the transition pace there is not5hing else that is showtime within MDAs philosophy lol. That opinion by them alone suggests the ownership, even when under the good doctor, are not real basketball guys....... the good doctor was just smart enough to listen to basketball guys and gave them the room to operate....not sure Jim operates in this manner, way more misplaced ego than the Doctor had...... of course I don't know the situation at a deep level, just how he comes off to me with some of the little things he's said over the years as he's become more involved to now.

showtime with a 38 yr point guard with chronic back problems? with a versatile hall of fame all time shooting guard with premier post game? an old defensive SF? with 2 top bigmen in the league?

i refuse to think Jim, Mitch, and our front office really thought they can play showtime basketball.

that was just a power move by jim.

no way mitch built last years team to run and gun. it was built for the triangle, because in a sense it made sense for nash.

not too much physical wear on nash to play a triangle PG, couple here good plays and there, i love fish to death, but with his talent, besides defense, i think he would of done ok. spot up shoot, break away and P&R, or just run the floor.
LooN3y

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:55 am

A Mike Brown coached offense put up 120 points on us last night.....

A freakin' Mike Brown coached offense put up 120 points on us last night.

Pink slip end of season, end of story. Unacceptable.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:42 am

^^^^ yeah that's really bad .

Cleveland is 26th in offense efficiency scoring 97.2 pts by 100 possessions

Last night Cavs O efficiency was 121.8 pts by 100 possessions :man10:
wcsoldier81

Postby Slurpee22 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:32 am

How does a Mike Brown team put up 120 points on us? I don't even think Brown has a offensive guru coach working with him... how has MDA managed to last this long in the season?
Slurpee22

Postby revgen on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:43 am

Doc Brown wrote:A Mike Brown coached offense put up 120 points on us last night.....

A freakin' Mike Brown coached offense put up 120 points on us last night.

Pink slip end of season, end of story. Unacceptable.

Not only that. Irving only scored 13 points.

So it was the other guys who killed us. 11 points for Dellevedova. 15 points for Thompson. 18 points for Varejao. Simply unacceptable.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard