Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: "I was an idiot..." (155)

Postby Slurpee22 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:45 pm

Helljumper wrote:Brilliant idea, man. Do you mind proposing a trade for Sacre? If you were a GM of one of the 29 other NBA teams, what would you offer in a trade to the Lakers for the 13th man off your bench?

I believe we can get a 2nd round pick for Sacre.
Slurpee22

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:49 pm

So we can.... draft another Sacre? And start all over trying to develop that player? Great plan.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:08 pm

Slurpee22 wrote:
Helljumper wrote:Brilliant idea, man. Do you mind proposing a trade for Sacre? If you were a GM of one of the 29 other NBA teams, what would you offer in a trade to the Lakers for the 13th man off your bench?

I believe we can get a 2nd round pick for Sacre.

Sure. But why? Here's a guy who is a typical second round pick so we can draft another typical second round guy, most likely a center again? Sacre is doing just fine. Has the size, strength and is healthy enough to play limited minutes off then bench, which is pretty much in his job description. If anything you keep Sacre. He's cheap, he's 7 feet tall and he works hard.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:49 pm

Jae Crowder - 19 mpg, 6ppg, 3rpg
Draymond Green - 20 mpg, 5ppg, 4rpg
Robert Sacre - 15mpg, 5ppg, 4rpg

He's arguably the best 2nd round pick in that draft. There is no reason to trade him for a 2nd round pick. Hell he's doing better than some of the 1st round picks in that draft.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby last stand on Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:50 pm

sacre is a keeper. he's better than joel anthony

he can put the ball in the basket without looking ridiculous, he plays defense, bangs his body around, rebounds. who could we find better at his price.

i wouldn't trade sacre. it's pointless. he could easily be the #2 center on a contending team. all he needs to do is come in the game and hustle. with his size and ability to be basketball capable he'll not wasted any minutes.
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby trodgers on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:29 pm

Complaining about Sacre? He was the 60th pick in the draft. He might be the best selection in that entire draft based on where he was taken. A backup big who hustles, can shoot a bit, can defend a bit, and makes NO MONEY is never, ever, ever a bad pick.

twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby karacha on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:41 pm

trodgers wrote:He might be the best selection in that entire draft based on where he was taken.

And probably is.

Love Blackadder BTW.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby thisbjgz on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:41 pm

Keep losing MDA, hope to see you gone by this season ! :jam2:
thisbjgz

Postby revgen on Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:36 pm

"I just think we're a better team when we can spread the floor," D'Antoni said Saturday. "It's better for Wes [Johnson]; he has better games when we can spread the floor. It's better for Pau [Gasol] when we can spread the floor. It's better for Kendall [Marshall]."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20140119,0,5423482.story

Offense isn't the problem.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Weezy on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:07 pm

Offense is the only real issue with 'Antoni, always. He might speak of defense, but I don't think deep down he truly cares and thinks the offense will take care of it.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:28 pm

Offense can sometimes take care of it when you have the right players. Which we currently don't. So, the system is being exposed right now, and it just so happens that it's good for our rebuilding process. If we do manage to rebuild properly and get a nice pick -- MDA was actually the right hire, since he helped us rebuild, and in the process of overplaying some -- or rather all -- PGs, he discovered Marshall. :man10:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:42 pm

revgen wrote:
"I just think we're a better team when we can spread the floor," D'Antoni said Saturday. "It's better for Wes [Johnson]; he has better games when we can spread the floor. It's better for Pau [Gasol] when we can spread the floor. It's better for Kendall [Marshall]."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20140119,0,5423482.story

Offense isn't the problem.

Still wants to keep his stretch 4.
charvin

Postby MC on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:10 am

^
I disagree quite a bit with those who think the offense is not part of the problem........ of course it is if you over compensate the way MDA does....... from the personnel combinations to the over aggressive floor spacing offensively...he creates awkward scenarios for the other side of the floor both in half court and transition. You combine that with an inability to crash the boards and get additional looks when shots aren't falling and it can spell disaster defensively with a team that as constructed realistically only has average defense at best as a ceiling. Instead he takes a team that could possibly at least hold it's own on that side of the floor to a team that is a turn style on the defensive end.

So yes the offensive philosophy and MDAs stubbornness to relies on it even without the proper pieces is part of the problem as far winning consistently and in tight situations will go. If you are of the tanking mind at this point considering the lakers current situation than MDA is a really good fit. He was a horrible pick last year to replace Brown when chip or bust was the thought process........ tanking is more like making best of that bad decision at this point.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:00 am

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 20m
D'Antoni on starting Ryan Kelly at PF: "At the end of the day we think we're better off with a stretch four."
Expand

You have to admire how he is trying to find ways to get his teams to score 130 points a game. If we could only figure out how to beat teams that drop 120 on us. :man11:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:12 pm

:man10:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Juronimo on Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:43 pm

MC wrote:^
I disagree quite a bit with those who think the offense is not part of the problem........ of course it is if you over compensate the way MDA does....... from the personnel combinations to the over aggressive floor spacing offensively...he creates awkward scenarios for the other side of the floor both in half court and transition. You combine that with an inability to crash the boards and get additional looks when shots aren't falling and it can spell disaster defensively with a team that as constructed realistically only has average defense at best as a ceiling. Instead he takes a team that could possibly at least hold it's own on that side of the floor to a team that is a turn style on the defensive end.

So yes the offensive philosophy and MDAs stubbornness to relies on it even without the proper pieces is part of the problem as far winning consistently and in tight situations will go. If you are of the tanking mind at this point considering the lakers current situation than MDA is a really good fit. He was a horrible pick last year to replace Brown when chip or bust was the thought process........ tanking is more like making best of that bad decision at this point.

I agree with you, I'm not a fan of the Damfony offense.

what made the triangle so effective is that it actually provided for proper defensive balance so we got higher percentage looks and fewer runouts. With the Damfony system we brick a 3 then the other team has a layup drill. Plus Damfony is addicted to the whole "stretch 4" thing which I don't understand at all.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Weezy on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:30 am

@KevinDing: D'Antoni on Lakers: "We'll find a way to score. Our problem is defense."

:man4: :mhihi: 'Antoni is funny when he tries to sound like a real coach and spouts obvious cliches I doubt he believes. Funnier than when he's self deprecating or being "clever" anyway.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:29 am

Lock down D !

wcsoldier81

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:44 am

Ironic, our two worst defenders on the team in one picture. One getting blown by, the other, well, I don't know what Pau is trying to do.
Doc Brown

Postby trodgers on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:45 am

Don't our bigs complain that our smalls don't box out? That's a legit concern.
But WTF is going on in that picture? Caught between a boxout and a hand in the face - effective at neither.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:04 am

Jojo Embiid will cure all :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:15 am

wcsoldier81

Postby karacha on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:45 am

Wow, that's a horrible position to be in. Maybe Pau is saluting him, waving at him or something.... I'm not sure.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Slurpee22 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:18 am

Anyone, think the Lakers might give MDA the boot if the Lakers somehow fail to win against the Magic? I honestly wouldn't mind if Rambis or Johnny Davis become the interim coach... they will do a very solid job developing the young guys.
Slurpee22

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:22 am

Yes they are going to fire him if they lose today…. you're on to a story here.
LTLakerFan

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard