Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: "I was an idiot..." (155)

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:30 am

Weezy wrote:If 'Antoni is still here next season, for the first time ever I'm not sure I will be able to watch games. I mean if the front office doesn't care, why should I? That's what keeping him on means, that they don't want to spend $4 mil to get rid of a terrible coach and don't care about giving up 130 points a game. F that.

^^ Yep. I get that. And that is exactly what the FO should be concerned about: hardcore, lifer Laker fans losing interest in their mediocre product.

At some point they ought to consider the fans. It is what Jerry Buss did and what he stood for. It was always about the fans. If the fans are angry about Antoni and the status quo then they should seriously consider changing things. If the fans give up they won't have much left. A television deal where the ratings drop out of sight? Not good at all.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am

They should also care about what their longtime celebrity fans think IMO, them being at games has also been a part of making the Lakers feel different and special for decades. Jack walked out of the Clippers blowout way early, and today Flea tweets this and I agree with him

@flea333: this isn't just a bad @laker season, it is a season of serious damage to the franchise

Plus this
@flea333: good luck to @PhilJackson11 so grateful he was a part of the lakers, the dynamic seasons and the 5 rings
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:07 am

I'm with you. It's something I don't know if they know how to address. To make it in LA you have to have some charisma and I don't think Jim does. Jeanie does, but is it enough? And can she become the face of the front office? Maybe.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Dfishman on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:22 pm

I guess we have to fire Pringles at this point for PR purposes and to appease Kobe. Will I miss him? No, nope, not one lick. I suspect we're all in the same boat on that one.

And yet, it won't even do us any good outside of the above mentioned reasons. It's not like we're gonna be contending for anything next season and the damage is already done. Dwight is gone, Philj isn't coming back and we look like a team in major dysfunction right now. Might as well make Pringles earn his 4$ million and watch him go down with the ship.
Dfishman

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:46 pm

I never want to get reactionary or impulsive about such things, but in the case of MDA, I think we all know something needs to be done; Kobe desires a post-up offense and a slower pace style that suits him at this stage in his career; D'Antoni prefers a much more fast-paced, up-tempo game...we have two differing offensive basketball philosophies from our head coach and best player. That's disaster. Kobe isn't buying in and is going to do his 'own' thing regardless of what D'Antoni wants...as evidenced by the meeting in Memphis a season ago where Kobe said they had to play a different style to win games...ultimately, that happened & the result was a 28-12 record post All-Star break. Either way, MDA needs to go. Eat the 4 million bucks and get it over with; then we can start a fresh and anew...
lukewaltonsdad

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:00 am

Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 8h
The Lakers have not held an opponent to under 100 points since beating the Celtics, 101-92, on Feb. 21.
Expand

Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 8h
The Lakers have given up over 100 points in their last 11 games and allowed an average of 120.9 points per game during that time.
Expand

Laker Nation ‏@LakerNation 10h
The #Lakers were out rebounded by 27 (64-37) and they have now lost 31 of their last 37 games....
Expand Reply Retweet Favo

Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan 10h
That's the Lakers' largest loss ever to the Spurs -- 119-85. Outdid a 32-point loss they had here back in 1977. Good times.
Expand

We played the Spurs B team last night. BUT WE STILL BEAT PORTLAND!!!!! :jam2:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:41 am

Vasashi17 wrote:MDA stacking up all type of Laker records....we're one more 20 point loss from setting yet another record:

And with that 34 point loss to the Spurs, MDA now has sole rights to the franchise record of 11 losses this year by 20+ points.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:05 am

We will break the franchise record this season! :jam2:

:man5:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:26 am

So I guess if 'Antoni is back next season we can look forward to giving up guaranteed 100+ points per game. F that. Another 130 points given up, another 30+ point loss, unacceptable.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:51 am

Weezy wrote:So I guess if 'Antoni is back next season we can look forward to giving up guaranteed 100+ points per game. F that. Another 130 points given up, another 30+ point loss, unacceptable.

It's funny, well no it's not, with this F.O. sans Jeanie, but every time I see reference to this clown coming back next year it just seems like an impossibility and ridiculous with regard to any presence of of logic or intelligence.
LTLakerFan

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:08 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
Weezy wrote:So I guess if 'Antoni is back next season we can look forward to giving up guaranteed 100+ points per game. F that. Another 130 points given up, another 30+ point loss, unacceptable.

It's funny, well no it's not, with this F.O. sans Jeanie, but every time I see reference to this clown coming back next year it just seems like an impossibility and ridiculous with regard to any presence of of logic or intelligence.

It's just insane really. If they keep him another year (or even more possibly with the team option for a fourth year) then I will know that this FO is truly incompetent.

If they fire him and get a good coach, get a nice draft pick in the top 7, and make some smart signings this summer then I know they will have gotten on the right track.

Status quo for this team means unwatchable basketball next year.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:15 pm

What annoys me about the FO is that the same night Kobe goes off on his rant, Bresnahan writes an article about how management would rather have MDA's guaranteed portion of the contract play out....how he's done an admirable job with an injury riddled roster...and whatever BS they're feeding to the fanbase.

We know that Bresnahan has inside access to the Lakers (he broke the MDA hire first)....so someone from the Lakers fed him that horse maneuver. That was a direct response to Kobe's rant, so obviously they can't care any less about their 48M dollar man and his opinions. Phil goes to NY, the FO barely flinches and we're possibly stuck with MDA for yet another training camp and season.

That is why it was crucial for Kobe to hold off on that contract extension to maintain some type of leverage, but its human nature to accept an exorbitant amount of money from your employer first...then ask questions. Kobe is definitely at fault and played it wrong, but his employers were crafty and played this to their advantage. Lock up your cash cow to make the cable execs happy and then go from there.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:05 pm

And this is why he won't be back. Not because his system is awful, although it is, but because he's completely lost the players while embarrassing the franchise. Even if we have to have another interim coach, this one is gone.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:10 pm

therealdeal wrote:

And this is why he won't be back. Not because his system is awful, although it is, but because he's completely lost the players while embarrassing the franchise. Even if we have to have another interim coach, this one is gone.

I guess I'll believe it when I see it. With hearing that Nash won't be waived via the stretch position, and preaching patience going forward with the rebuild, I'm not sure 'Antoni sticking around as part of that patience and letting guys finish their contracts is out of the question. Just because Kobe says no way to another awful year doesn't mean the FO won't tell him oh well too bad you signed the contract, go out there and put butts in the seats, if not in those words.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:25 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:We know that Bresnahan has inside access to the Lakers (he broke the MDA hire first)....so someone from the Lakers fed him that horse maneuver.

Do tell what this horse maneuver is :man1:

In all seriousness, I thought it would be a stretch and that it would be nearly impossible back when the Lakers had played about 60 games, that they would be close to leading the league in the Points Against category seeing as how Philly was almost a solid 9-10 points allowed ahead. Now, we're 2.6 PA per game away from taking this horrid title from Philly and being the team that has given up the most PPG in the league.

Doc Brown wrote:BUT WE STILL BEAT PORTLAND!!!!! :jam2:

And the Thunder.
charvin

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:49 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:What annoys me about the FO is that the same night Kobe goes off on his rant, Bresnahan writes an article about how management would rather have MDA's guaranteed portion of the contract play out....how he's done an admirable job with an injury riddled roster...and whatever BS they're feeding to the fanbase.

We know that Bresnahan has inside access to the Lakers (he broke the MDA hire first)....so someone from the Lakers fed him that horse maneuver. That was a direct response to Kobe's rant, so obviously they can't care any less about their 48M dollar man and his opinions. Phil goes to NY, the FO barely flinches and we're possibly stuck with MDA for yet another training camp and season.

That is why it was crucial for Kobe to hold off on that contract extension to maintain some type of leverage, but its human nature to accept an exorbitant amount of money from your employer first...then ask questions. Kobe is definitely at fault and played it wrong, but his employers were crafty and played this to their advantage. Lock up your cash cow to make the cable execs happy and then go from there.

Maybe he doesn't have inside access to the Lakers, but D'antoni.. & D'antoni's people fed him that crap for damage control after the Kobe rant. I know, wishful thinking...
LakersN4

Postby purp n gold on Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:14 am

charvin wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:BUT WE STILL BEAT PORTLAND!!!!! :jam2:

And the Thunder.

And the Clippers on opening night, Rockets on Dwight's return to LA (thank you White Mamba), and the 2 Celtics games....

Excuse me while I go cry in the bathroom :man6: :man6: :man6:
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:20 am

Mark Medina ‏@MarkG_Medina 1h
Regarding Mike D'Antoni, Lakers will evaluate him at the end of the season. Lots of factors in play including what roster they assemble
Expand

There is nothing to evaluate. Get a coach in here that loves him some defense and go in that direction. None of that pseudo defensive minded Mike Brown s*** either.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:22 am

I think that just means if we strike out on absolutely every free agent, then why even bother firing him? Team Tank powers onward and we try to get in the top 5 for the lottery. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:32 am

Kobe will be giving him the death stare before game 10 next year. MDA can pray to his lucky stars Kobe isn't out on the court getting these 130+ point bombs dropped on us every night.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:46 am

I think Kobe would get himself ejected by taking hard fouls before he let the 3rd team drop 130 points on him. The first game might be a fluke. The second is a bad sign. The third is unacceptable. There's no way he'd stand for it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:32 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Mark Medina ‏@MarkG_Medina 1h
Regarding Mike D'Antoni, Lakers will evaluate him at the end of the season. Lots of factors in play including what roster they assemble
Expand

There is nothing to evaluate. Get a coach in here that loves him some defense and go in that direction. None of that pseudo defensive minded Mike Brown s*** either.

+1
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:20 am

therealdeal wrote:I think Kobe would get himself ejected by taking hard fouls before he let the 3rd team drop 130 points on him. The first game might be a fluke. The second is a bad sign. The third is unacceptable. There's no way he'd stand for it.

I agree but I don't even think it would take Kobe 3 games, 2 sounds about right to me given everything he has already seen this year
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Magic Skywalker on Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:57 am

That about Kobe made me curious so I investigated a bit...

With Kobe on the team (since 96-97) we've given up 130+ points three times: A 147-141 OT loss in 2006 against the Wizards (Arenas's 60 point game), a 139-137 3OT win in 2011 against the Suns and a 133-124 3OT loss in 2006 (06-07 season though) against the Bobcats (Kobe's 58 point game).

We've permitted 130+ points 6 times this season... so... uhm... yeah, not good.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby 432J on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:54 am

it's either keep dantoni OR fire him and land some big name stars in the future. NO ONE will want to play for the lakers as long as he's the head coach

knowing the FO, they'll keep dantoni
432J

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard