Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: "I was an idiot..." (155)

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:47 pm

Dan to Marshall maybe not so far fetched? Seems like he may be expecting to get canned. Please Lord :jam2: :jam2:

Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni interested in Marshall job, if fired
By Mark Sandritter  @MarkSandritter on Mar 27 2014, 10:20p 5

If Mike D'Antoni's tenure with the Lakers comes to an end soon, his next stop may be at the college level.

With the Lakers hovering near the bottom of the Western Conference, speculation about Mike D'Antoni's future with the team continues to run rampant. Many expect him to be fired, and if that happens, he could head to the college level and take over Marshall. Thundering Herd officials have reached out to D'Antoni and the interest is mutual, according to Jeff Borzello of CBS Sports.

Making a move from head coach of the Lakers to head coach of Marshall may seem like an odd career choice, but D'Antoni played for Marshall and has remained close to the program. The move would only happen if D'Antoni was fired and, even then, it may be a longshot.

According to a report from ESPN, sources said D'Antoni is "highly unlikely" to drop to the college level, even with his ties to the Marshall program. There are conflicting reports, however, as a source told Borzello that D'Antoni has interest in Marshall and donors are in place to offer a significant deal.

"I would think his days are numbered based on Kobe saying he had no interest in playing for him next year," a source told CBSSports.com. "If he isn't with the Lakers, I believe he will be at Marshall because there is mutual interest."

D'Antoni is in the midst of his second season with the Lakers. Los Angeles finished last season with a 45-37 record, but was swept out of the first round of the playoffs. Things have gotten even worse this season. Crippled by injuries after losing Dwight Howard to free agency, the Lakers have sunk to 24-46 and have their eyes on the top of the draft rather than the playoff standings.

D'Antoni has two years remaining on his four-year deal, but only one of the remaining years is guaranteed, according to ESPN. According to a recent report, Kobe Bryant has "no interest" in playing for D'Antoni next season, helping fuel speculation that the coach's days with the Lakers are numbered.

Although he's made multiple stops in the NBA and coached professionally in Italy, D'Antoni has never coached at the college level, either as an assistant or a head coach.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/3/27/5 ... head-coach
LTLakerFan

Postby Helljumper on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:03 pm

Come on Mike, do us a solid and "step down" to pursue your dream of implementing your system at at your alma matter, saving us severance and any damage done to the perceived security of our head coaching job!
Helljumper

Postby jlkr on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:06 pm

well boys and girls, let's put it this way, the Lakers are definitely not paying lux tax next year, you can take that to the bank. Hence they should be able to absorb MDA's $4m commitment next year while they fire him and hire someone who will actually use their bigs. When MDA loses Kobe, that is pretty bad considering the esteem with which Kobe used to hold him. Kobe knows the value of bigs, he played with great bigs in 7 Finals appearances and 5 titles.

Takes good to great bigs to go far in the NBA even now. So the writing is on the wall: only way any, let alone all, of Gasol, Hill and Kaman return is if MDA is gone. If MDA stays, the big man cupboard will be dang bare because (1), none of those three come back, and (2), no decent big man will want to come to the Lakers in hopes of getting showcased for a better contract down the road because they will have seen how Gasol, Hill and Kaman were treated. Get ready for a year of Sacre and Kelly as the starters. Meh...
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:11 pm

:sing: :sing: :sing: :beer: :beer: :beer: I think he's going to be gone.

Now this quote, that Kobe has no interest in playing for him, that didn't actually get said, right? People are just reading between the lines with some of Kobe's recent frustrated statements after Phil went to NY?
LTLakerFan

Postby jlkr on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:46 pm

I haven't seen any direct quotes so it's possible some rumormonger is just stirring the pot. But Kobe has played with All-Star quality bigs, knows how critical they are to a title contending team and has to be seeing how MDA treats the ones he has.

So if Baseball Cap Boy has reached out to Kobe as he said he would, Kobe may have given him an earful. MDA was Cap Boy's hire so it's gonna be tough for him to swallow this mistake on top of the last one.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:37 pm

How I feel about Mike D right now

"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:48 pm

Los Angeles has not yet made a decision on the future of coach Mike D’Antoni, according to Bresnahan, but the team plans to make a decision shortly after the end of the regular season.

They still owe [D'Antoni] $4 million next season and don’t want to look like a franchise with a coaching turnstile.

But Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol don’t support his small-ball offense and Lakers fans don’t support him, period.
So the team will decide fairly quickly after the April 16 regular-season finale — pay him to not coach the team, just like Mike Brown, or try to make it work next season.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:59 pm

Sounds to me like he's gone. When your two franchise players and more importantly your ticket payers don't want him around, he's gone. End of story.

They'll make a decision quickly on whether to keep him based on whether there's another coach immediately available that they want.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:36 pm

They can look like a franchise with a coaching turnstile, or they can look like a franchise content to sit in their own s*** to save some cash. One starts to help solve our problems, one does nothing and leaves us smelling like s*** and looking stupid and most likely embarrassed. Guess which way I want to go here.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:37 pm

I said so many times that it made no sense to fire him in the middle of the season. However, if his basketball style is not what we want (hint: it's not, because we can't defend anyone, which is his fault, as is Kurt's) - it's time for him to go. Get one of the Van Gundy brothers for true team ball and D - or George Karl, if we really want to play some athletic, modern basketball, but with some defensive and rebounding effort included, and less 3-point shooting in general. I'm sure coach Mike will understand.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:59 pm

i was at the game tonight and the entire crowd booed MDA when he was introduced
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:00 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:i was at the game tonight and the entire crowd booed MDA when he was introduced

^^ That's awesome. I'm sorry but he freaking deserves it.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenChocobo on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:29 pm

Not sure if posted, or if it's a credible source: http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... um=twitter

Report: Lakers leaning toward keeping Mike D’Antoni
Dan Feldman Apr 2, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT
44 Comments
Phoenix Suns v Los Angeles Lakers
Getty Images
Kobe Bryant reportedly wanted Mike D’Antoni fired. Pau Gasol and D’Antoni have had their run-ins. As have Chris Kaman and D’Antoni.

Oh, and the Lakers stink. At 25-49, they’re on pace for their worst record in 54 years.

Momentum appears to be squarely against D’Antoni – though not necessarily in the Lakers’ front office.

Kevin Ding of Bleacher Report:

D’Antoni has one more guaranteed season left on his Lakers contract, and the club is leaning toward retaining him despite some privately disgruntled players and massive public disdain. It’s not clear which way the Lakers will go with him.

The first sentence is very useful information. The second sentence is a pretty major qualifier. It sounds as if the Lakers are somewhere in the vicinity of 55-45 for keeping D’Antoni – hardly odds that justify betting big money on D’Antoni’s return.

There is no doubt D’Antoni, the 2004-05 Coach of the Year, was a great coach. His high-tempo Suns won 62, 54, 61 and 55 games between 2004-05 and 2007-08.

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, D’Antoni should be tickled. Since D’Antoni’s peak Phoenix offenses took the league by storm, other teams are playing faster and shooting more 3-pointers

D’Antoni was ahead of his time, which leads to the question… How good a coach is D’Antoni now?

Maybe his schematic advantage has slipped since other coaches have caught onto the value of playing quickly and shooting 3s. That leaves D’Antoni to set himself apart by continuously innovating and better teach his schemes.

But it seems D’Antoni’s message is already wearing thin in Los Angeles – though thanks to the coach’s agent, Kaman is talking a much softer tone now – and players don’t tend to listen better with more time.

The factor most working in D’Antoni’s favor: The Lakers might settle for one more rebuilding year next season – getting younger and avoiding the luxury tax (and delaying repeater penalties) before a loaded 2015 free agent class that includes Kevin Love. If they do that, they as might as well keep D’Antoni rather than paying two coaches. Plus, they’ll be better positioned to hire a new coach a year later when the team is better.

I doubt that plan would sit well with Kobe, who wants to contend immediately. So, if the Lakers keep D’Antoni due to rebuilding, it could cause a rift between the coach and the team’s biggest star.

In other words, the Lakers are weighing paying an extra few million for coaching and the odds of internal combustion. Not a fun choice, but it would at least be understandable why they’d keep D’Antoni.
GoldenChocobo

Postby Weezy on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:32 pm

They can afford a new practice facility, but they can't eat 4 mil to end this 'Antoni nightmare? Players don't like him, fans hate him, and we'll probably have the worst Lakers record ever while giving up 120 points regularly. What's to decide here? I don't buy that we're keeping him, fans won't stand for it, they've already stopped tuning in to games in large numbers.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:53 pm

I'd be VERY surprised if we kept MDA after this season. He really has nothing going for him at this point that could be used in favor of keeping him. Plus, if management does plan on trying to go after some of the bigger name FAs I don't see any of them coming here to play under MDA.
XXIV

Postby Armani on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:31 pm

What... the...? :bang: :bang:

If you're winning now, you don't want D'Antoni, obviously. And if you're rebuilding you want a coach that can actually develop young talent well. D'Antoni teaches the run-n-chuck with no defense basketball. Seriously? Just what benefit is there of retaining him? Even if they think next season is going nowhere, I just don't see it. At least take steps in the right direction? This was the WORST Laker season fans have had to endure in a long time.
Armani

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:26 am

Interesting report for sure.. I'll get crucified for this but I still think we can win with D'antoni as coach if we provide him with the right personnel. We need a stretch 4 that can run the floor, play defense, hit 3's, & not give the other team an advantage on the boards.. Basically we need prime Shawn Marion. I think that's the biggest thing missing from our personnel. If D'antoni could go small without us getting killed on the boards & we had a star PG this season would have been much different.
LakersN4

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:38 am

Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:40 am

Weezy wrote:They can afford a new practice facility, but they can't eat 4 mil to end this 'Antoni nightmare? Players don't like him, fans hate him, and we'll probably have the worst Lakers record ever while giving up 120 points regularly. What's to decide here? I don't buy that we're keeping him, fans won't stand for it, they've already stopped tuning in to games in large numbers.

Not about money. It's about whether or not he's good for tanking and whether they want to tank again next season.

I'm still convinced they'll fire him. Even if we're in full rebuild mode we need a new coach to try to convince some of the good pieces to stick around like Hill and Young. I know some of the pieces like this system, but frankly those pieces aren't that important.

Odds are we'll be pretty bad next season too, we don't need D'Antoni's help getting there and we don't have our pick next season anyway unless we're in the bottom five. For the love of Benji I don't think I could sit through another season like this one. I hope that's not their plan.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:41 am

Next season will be a joy to watch if he's here. Sacre and Kelly averaging 35 minutes a game because no big man is going to want to come here after 4 bigs in 2 years have said they don't like it here with MDA at the helm.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby LooN3y on Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:57 pm

guys, stop worrying, ROBERT SACRE HAS IT ALL!!!
LooN3y

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:27 pm

:mhihi:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby WilliamHaven on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:34 pm

Love how sacre played more than hill today, and still hill put up 20/10

Dantoni has smarts
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby TIME on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:57 pm

So a couple of days ago I had a dream in which the Lakers fired D'Antoni. That was a happy dream. But then I woke up.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:27 pm

TIME wrote:So a couple of days ago I had a dream in which the Lakers fired D'Antoni. That was a happy dream. But then I woke up.

I want that dream to come true so freaking much . . .
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard