Mike Brown explains why he isn't giving Goudelock minutes...

Mike Brown explains why he isn't giving Goudelock minutes...

Postby Jordan-esque on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:15 am

Sorry Andrew Goudelock fans, but it looks like Mike Brown is not going to play him anytime soon...

Link: ESPN 3/31 Interview with Mike Brown

Mike Brown on why Andrew Goudelock is not getting minutes:

"For a young guy he was doing a terrific job for where he was or what we asked of him. But having said that, he did not create a ton of shots for himself nor for his teammates. It wasn't like he was getting 14 or 15 points or double figure points off the bench, and so I don't think it's as big a deal or as big a difference when you're looking at production, point-wise, that he was giving us on a night in night out basis."

Lesson of the Story: If only Goudelock could play more like Steve Blake and just average about 4 points but try to create a "TON of shots for himself or his teammates".

Sigh...
Last edited by Jordan-esque on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Re: Mike Brown explains why he's not given Goudelock any minutes

Postby bystander on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:25 am

lol, how many rookies are avergaint 15 points per game ? 1, Irving.

Next one is averaging 12 ppg in 32 mins.

Also i liked the "he was doing what we asked of him" part.

In other word, he wants to play Blake, point.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Re: Mike Brown explains why he isn't giving Goudelock any mins

Postby The Rock on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:27 am

Sounds like hes just giving some garbage reason. There must be something else thats personal.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:29 am

#FireMikeBrown twitter
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby khmrP on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:31 am

someone should've followed up that Q with "how exactly is Blake doing any of that to get PT?" And Glock was giving us double digits here and there, which is more than what I can say for Steve "I Fear the Paint" Blake. Anyways its moronic line up to have Artest/Barnes together, no floor Spacing and for supposed defensive purposes, this team has given up 100+pts in what 5 out of the last 6 gms now? Yeah great D there Potato head.
khmrP

Postby The Rock on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:35 am

Blake has played better the last 2-3 games I'll give him that but YOU CANNOT play Barnes and MWP at the same time. They're effing redundant. Put Glock in there

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby mj3200 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:36 am

Could mike brown sound any dumber????
mj3200

Re: Mike Brown explains why he isn't giving Goudelock minutes...

Postby karacha on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:40 am

He can create a lot of shots for himself if you give him minutes and let him shoot. Which he should, because that second unit needs some scoring and speed.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:45 am

Mike Brown on why Andrew Goudelock is not getting minutes:

"For a young guy he was doing a terrific job for where he was or what we asked of him. But having said that, he did not create a ton of shots for himself nor for his teammates. It wasn't like he was getting 14 or 15 points or double figure points off the bench, and so I don't think it's as big a deal or as big a difference when you're looking at production, point-wise, that he was giving us on a night in night out basis."

Translation...

For a young player he was doing more than expected and a terrific job and definitely more than we asked him to do. But having said that, he created plenty of open looks for himself by utilizing a floater in the lane, he is not a PG, he's a SG so expecting him to make plays for others is very ignorant of me. (spits in cup). He wasn't getting 14-15 points off the game, which 1 or 2 rookies are doing right now, but he did outplay Blake on a nightly basis. So when you look back at all the games that our bench has coughed up the lead, having Andrew out there to score 7-10 points a night, while Blake was throwing up goose eggs would only have helped our team and could give Kobe some needed rest. On a night in and night out basis, we need scoring off the bench, it extends leads and takes the burden off the starters. Having said that Andrew perfectly fits this role, but I am too dumb to see that.(spits in cup) I will be giving Blake all the minutes and using a second unit that cannot create any easy buckets for themselves (spits in cup). For all the fans out there that question this, I understand, I am a dumba** and I will continue to disappoint you because I have convinced myself Blake has the "experience", whatever that means, but it sounds smart, and Blake no matter how bad he plays will still get the minutes. I will be burning out my starters, (spits in cup), and we will be getting nothing off the bench in terms of scoring, which we surely need. (Spits in cup). Andrew is a terrific scorer and adds punch off the bench (spits in cup), but we don't need that on this team. No if you excuse me I have to go play Connect 4 and work on my elementary offense and defensive rotations. Thank you. (Spills spit cup).
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:48 am

Steve Blake number of double figures pt games this season : 6
Glock number of double figures pt games this season : 5

When playing 20 min + : Glock had 10 pts or more , 4 out of 5 times (the other game he scored nine pts)

When playing 20 min + : Blake had 10 pts or more : 6 out of 28 times , failed to reach 5 pts 12 times and went scoreless 5 times
Last edited by wcsoldier81 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
wcsoldier81

Postby trodgers on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:49 am

GOUDELOCK ON COURT
Offense pp100: 103.2
Defense pp100: 104.5
Net: -1.3

GOUDELOCK OFF COURT
Offense pp100: 106.4
Defense pp100: 102.4
Net: +3.9

GOUDELOCK NET: -5.2

BLAKE ON COURT
Offense pp100: 104.0
Defense pp100: 103.8
Net: +0.2

BLAKE OFF COURT
Offense pp100: 107.0
Defense pp100: 102.1
Net: +4.9

BLAKE NET: -4.7

I don't know, Mike...looks pretty damn close.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby BadCoaching on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:49 am

What an idiot.....
BadCoaching

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:54 am

Goudelock actually created really well for himself when presented the situation I thought.

Floaters, open shots, aggressive. Blake on the other hand...
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby khmrP on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:55 am

I'm not claiming to be some bball genius, but I really dont understand the Barnes/MWP lineup and add to that is the fact Blake creates nothing for no one, not even himself :bang: and on top of that he has McSocks with them, its no wonder the bench gets absolutely owned everytime.
khmrP

Postby The Rock on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:02 am

Looks like we have a Luke/Sasha thing again...Steve probably busts Goudelock's azz in practice and Mike thinks he should be the better player and gives him minutes but for whatever reason it doesn't translate to the games (Stage fright?)

I feel a little bad for the kid. Heres what he said earlier in the year

[url]http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20120216,0,4768118.story
It's not quite the Jeremy Lin story, but there was some luck for 'Lock.[/url]

Goudelock had a sinking feeling in training camp, the type that usually ends with a general manager calling a player into his office and saying, "You've done everything we've asked, but…."

Indeed, Goudelock thought he would be cut by the Lakers in December.

"It was to the point where I was calling my agent and said, 'Man, look, these guys aren't really liking me. My opportunities might have to come somewhere else because I don't get any reps in practice. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be here long,' " Goudelock said.

It's not unusual these days if the rookie leads the Lakers' point guards in scoring. He had 10 points in 14 minutes Tuesday against Atlanta.

"The reality of it is I was close to cutting him at one point earlier in the year," Brown said recently. "Who would have thunk that he would have been my backup point guard and played well for us when he got thrown into the fire?"

A second-round draft pick last year from the College of Charleston, Goudelock has made an impression with his strong three-point accuracy (43.2%) and driving teardrop shots that fall almost perfectly over taller defenders' hands.

He's just happy to have a job.

"Almost being cut, I was at the lowest point I've ever been," Goudelock said. "I was calling my parents because I didn't know what else to do. I said, 'I'm sorry. I came out here and did everything I can, but it's just not going to work.' God works in mysterious ways. I don't know how it happened."

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby 24fanyes on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:17 am

Blake sucks so bad :bang:
24fanyes

Postby borri on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:21 am

khmrP wrote:I'm not claiming to be some bball genius, but I really dont understand the Barnes/MWP lineup and add to that is the fact Blake creates nothing for no one, not even himself :bang: and on top of that he has McSocks with them, its no wonder the bench gets absolutely owned everytime.

My take on why Potatohead does this:

Our second unit is hopeless offensively so lets play our best defenders together. If we can't score, then it's best if we prevent the other team from scoring.

Mike Brown's version of NBA's prevent defense.
borri

Postby Jordan-esque on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:36 am

mj3200 wrote:Could mike brown sound any dumber????
Jordan-esque

Postby Jordan-esque on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:37 am

mj3200 wrote:Could mike brown sound any dumber????

Well... I don't know if this helps but apparently...

The Rock wrote:LA Times

"The reality of it is I was close to cutting [Goudelock] at one point earlier in the year," Mike Brown said recently. "Who would have thunk that he would have been my backup point guard and played well for us when he got thrown into the fire?"

A second-round draft pick last year from the College of Charleston, Goudelock has made an impression with his strong three-point accuracy (43.2%) and driving teardrop shots that fall almost perfectly over taller defenders' hands.

He's just happy to have a job.

"Almost being cut, I was at the lowest point I've ever been," Goudelock said.

"I was calling my parents because I didn't know what else to do. I said, 'I'm sorry. I came out here and did everything I can, but it's just not going to work.' God works in mysterious ways. I don't know how it happened."

Funny part about that quote was that the LA Times really quoted Mike Brown as saying "I thunk".

:man9:
Jordan-esque

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:40 am

Well, this confirms exactly what I was suspecting. Brown is one of the most conservative coaches I've ever seen. Certainly much more conservative than we are used to seeing here in LA. And he's stubborn as a mule.

Brown isn't going to play the younger players over older ones, pretty much that's his bottom line. He's already mentioned several times now that he wants to give Blake as many minutes as possible as he's a veteran and he knows he can play, vs. a rookie whose decision making he doesn't trust.

It's pretty sad because if Brown would just play Goudelock he could kill two birds with one stone.

Kobe is playing way too many minutes. Everyone here knows it and most people have pointed to it as one of the reasons for his poor shooting performances. He even admitted to Mike Bresnahan after the Hornets game that he was fatigued. His own words - "fatigued" and that accounted for his bad shooting recently. When was the last time Kobe admitted to being tired?

Goudelock is an ACTUAL backup shooting guard! And he was really playing well for us by Brown's own admission. The only thing he is guilty of is being a rookie. But the kid is a four year college player and again, he is aggressive, assertive and a very nice offensive player. On D he's better than average, and even though he's a little undersized he gets at the opponent and doesn't give up. He's a fighter.

Playing Goudelock for 10 minutes a game would give Kobe more rest and give us a scoring spark off the bench. That's what he was providing before he got summarily dismissed for being a rookie by Mike Brown.

It would also wipe out these nonsensical lineups for the bench that Brown is coming up with. Blake isn't a shooting guard. Barnes isn't a shooting guard. MWP in with Barnes and Blake is an atrocious lineup that has little chance of success. Sessions and Blake is an experiment that thankfully looks like it's done, but was also horrendous.

Let the backup SG be the backup SG, Mike. It's not rocket science. The kid is the only backup SG you've got. The FO drafted him for a reason. Use what you have!

On top of it, the kid is GOOD!!

Brown needs to get this together. It's uncanny that he has so much bias against a kid he praised earlier this year who has done nothing wrong. It's only because he is a rookie.
Lakerjones

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:47 am

Translation: I'm an idiot who refuses to play a clearly superior player.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby shaq222 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:54 am

IDIOT....FIRE HIM NOW!!!
shaq222

Postby tttppp on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:55 am

If Brown wanted a guard who can create his own shot and shots for others, he should not have drafted Goudelock. He's not that type of player.
tttppp

Postby Weezy on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:55 am

Worst explanation he could possibly have given. Glock was one probably the only guy off the bench that COULD get his own shot, and he did create for others, his defense was solid too at times.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:57 am

Weezy wrote:Worst explanation he could possibly have given. Glock was one probably the only guy off the bench that COULD get his own shot, and he did create for others, his defense was solid too at times.

^^ True. He should just admit what he's basically already stated instead of stating things that are untrue and nonsensical. He won't play him because he's a rookie and he wants to go with all veterans. It's that simple really, because GLOCK was playing well before getting benched.
Lakerjones

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion