Mike must go and PJ must be brought in: TMZ video - pg3

Re: Mike must go and PJ must be brought in: TMZ video - pg3

Postby lakersStan24 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:56 am

smh fk jim buss
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby lakersStan24 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:01 am

Got a youtube link for people

Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby John3:16 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:41 am

I love Phil, but I don't trust the words of any man wearing a fedora.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:54 am

Jazzygirl205 wrote:Phil made Karl Malone and Gary Payton work along side Kobe and Shaq, so imo I think he could have made this team work and with Phil's ability he would have had our new guys learn the offense. I mean they all had to learn another one anyway.

They didn't run the Triangle that year, I don't think. What was memorable was that I vaguely remember reading that Kobe, Fisher, and Shaq talked with Phil to run the Triangle after they were losing games against Detroit in the finals.
charvin

Postby JLaker17 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:59 am

The thing is, even if the absolute long shot of firing D'Antoni or his resignation happens, Phil won't come back after the way we did him.
JLaker17

Postby lakersfever on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:02 am

Jim Buss needs to go. As long as he's running the show, there will be no showtime Lakers. The Lakers have been going steadily downhill ever since his dad gave him control of the team. The damages have been done and the longer he's in charge, the worse off the Lakers will be. Losing Dwight after the season would set the Lakers back for years. The Lakers need to right the ship and time is running out.
lakersfever

Postby VincentTH on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:24 pm

lakersfever wrote:Jim Buss needs to go. As long as he's running the show, there will be no showtime Lakers. The Lakers have been going steadily downhill ever since his dad gave him control of the team. The damages have been done and the longer he's in charge, the worse off the Lakers will be. Losing Dwight after the season would set the Lakers back for years. The Lakers need to right the ship and time is running out.

Here hoping that Dr. Jerry Buss would make one last try to right the ship: Take the helm off Jimmy and hand it over to the other siblings, and it does not have to be Jeannie. I know with Jimmy at the helm, MDA won't be fired mid-season, but the team is on a crashing course with Dwight leaving them at the end of the season.

Dear Santa, we Lakers fans have been good all year......

[EDIT] on the TMZ video, I don't trust what PJ said is sincere. The man just wanted to have dinner with his girlfriend without being harassed by reporters. I believe if the Lakers fire MDA, Jeannie will have a way to talk "her man" into taking the job.
VincentTH

Re: Mike must go and PJ must be brought in

Postby Snakell Beast on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:50 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Image

Funny...not really true IMHO. Mike Brown's preferred style of play COULD HAVE worked out, if he knew how to utilize his bench and not overplay the starters and over-complicate the Xs and Os and micromanage seasoned veterans. I supported him because I liked the job he did last year for the most part...again his sub patterns and overly lengthy practices, as well as not utilizing the full roster and micro-managing, were nagging issues last year too.

I believed that with a better roster, Potato head would figure out that getting out of the players way, and playing through the post, was our best bet. Instead, he chose to implement an offensive system that doesn't fit our new PG, and then got Pau and Dwight out to the free throw line extended setting screens and over-thinking... :bang:

Firing Mike Brown was DEFINITELY the right thing to do. Afterward, I (like everyone in LA and anyone who knows anything about the roster and basketball) wanted Phil and was devastated when he was passed over and furious about how he was treated. I was a good soldier, and an optimist, so I supported 'Antoni because I believed that he would adjust his system to the roster, and play a more post oriented style, since we are clearly built for that.

BOY was I wrong. Not only has he tried to force his system and pace (as well as jacking up too many 3s...we shot 37 against the Knicks last night) on a roster that is as incompatible with that system as any team in the league, but he has taken Pau AND Dwight out of the post. To make matters worse, he is also NO BETTER at player rotations than Mike Brown AND he is ALSO micro-managing the offense to death, but unlike MB...He is ignoring the defense.

At least with Mike Brown, if he hadn't chosen the Princeton, we could have developed a rhythm in the post. With 'Antoni, not only are we now a WAY WORSE defensive team, but our depth is being sabotaged by poor rotations and our most efficient offensive weapons in the paint are not being utilized properly. THIS HAS TO STOP NOW. Phil Jackson didn't teach defense because that is not necessary. Anyone who has played or even watched basketball knows how to try to prevent someone from putting a ball in a metal hoop.

Though Phil Jackson did not emphasize defense in practice, he stressed the importance of playing defense on winning, as well as instilling it philosophically, and he had no problem holding ALL of his players accountable when they cut corners or lacked effort. He prepared players MENTALLY for how to win. That is the most glaring weakness of this year's team. We have been in almost every game we have lost this season. We have been within 5 points late in the game in every loss (save maybe 2 or 3) down the stretch. The main difference is that now we are a mentally weak team, and under Phil we were more mentally tough than any other team in the league.

Phil Jackson is (and should have been) the only real option for this team for "basketball reasons." His slower, more deliberate pace would limit turnovers and play to our stengths in match-ups against our primary rivals (San Antonio, OKC, Miami, NY). The triangle's post oriented nature, as well as Phil's preference for maximizing opportunities as close to the basket as possible, would not only capitalize on our biggest strength (for god's sake we have MANY excellent post players in Gasol, Howard, Bryant, Metta, Hill and Sacre) but would also provide better opportunities for players like Meeks, Jamison, Duhon, Ebanks, etc.

Say what you will about Steve Nash not fitting the triangle, but if he really couldn't adjust we could always trade him for a couple quality triangle guards...his trade value is very high. If he did fit in, then all the better. Phil Jackson has NEVER had a dominant PG, and he has won more rings that ANY coach in this league. I love Steve Nash, but hiring a head coach JUST for his sake was the biggest mistake that we could have made, let alone the fact that we made the mistake TWICE if you count the Eddie Jordan hire and the resulting Princeton fiasco.

Steve Nash should have been expected to adjust to a post oriented, slow paced style, or be traded for a guard (or guards) who can. More than anything else, Phil Jackson is the man with the respect and stature to ABSOLUTELY COMMAND respect and accountability from every player on the roster. It is a shame and embarassment that the organization passed him over, especially in the manner they did it, for a coach with a system like MD. If it was working, I might feel differently, but it is PREDICTABLY not working, so this is a conversation that has to be had right now.

We should have hired Phil. We still could hire Phil. I truly hope he did not mean what he said in the video. If so, this team may be doomed. That is, unless Mike 'Antoni can make the drastic changes to his system that are necessary...E.G. abandoning it all together and playing through the post. The changes that are necessary to make for this team to be successful are clear, now we just have to wait and see if Mike A can do something he has never been willing to do thus far in his entire career. I hope he has the integrity and discipline to make the necessary changes. Mr. Pringles changing his style to fit the team might be necessary, but it is a scenario that is about as likely as Antawn Jamison averaging 40 points per game for the rest of the season. :disagree: :man5: :man6:
Last edited by Snakell Beast on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Phil's not going to be riding in on the white horse any time soon . . . or ever again. The owners just treated him like dirt and he doesn't need this job. They had a perfect opportunity to fix the mistake they made with Brown but they trashed it.

The job should have been Phil's to say yea or nay to. If Phil's demands were too outrageous then they should have broadened their search and interviewed other qualified candidates such as Jerry Sloan and Nate McMillan. Dunleavy NEVER should've been consulted. NEVER. That shows you how poorly they ran this thing.

But forget all of it. It is absolutely as clear as day that the Lakers already had their head coach picked out when they fired Brown. How else do you explain that they called D' Antoni on Sunday night after firing Brown just two days earlier, had worked out all details, faxed him the contract and had him sign without EVER having a publicly acknowledged meeting with him. He was in the back pocket.

The meeting with Phil was just for show. They had no intention of hiring him or they wouldn't have been in such a rush to finish the contract with D' Antoni before Phil's agent was flying in on Monday. If they wanted Phil they just had to sit down with his agent and negotiate. Instead they called him at Midnight to tell him the job was already filled. It was cowardly and embarrassing.

Meanwhile, they not only gave the finger to Phil but to the fans as well. They even sent Mitch out to say that the Lakers FO weren't interested in public opinion or appeasing the fans. Sure they aren't. Then why go through the motions of even meeting Phil?

Jerry Buss has ALWAYS done everything for the fans. And he's always stated that it was his goal. Regardless of whether or not Jerry wanted D' Antoni, the way this was run is not the way Jerry Buss does things. This had all the earmarks of the knucklehead.

At any rate, we're stuck with Antoni no D, and that's it. There's not really any way to undo what's been done. Get used to your new, FUN Lakers team. That's what Mason and Ireland kept selling to me and all the radio listeners. It's so much FUN!! :jam2:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby 7secondmess on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:57 pm

Maybe Brian Shaw is the answer if the D'Antoni leaves. If its Pau or D'Antoni, despite Pau declining some I think I choose Pau and make a run at Shaw.
7secondmess

Postby kenshi1023 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:18 pm

i guess it is time to bring back we want phil rally at the next home game! we want phil! we want phil! we want phil! we want phil!
lakers turned mr.potatohead into pringles!
kenshi1023

Postby charvin on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:33 pm

I honestly think this quashes all arguments about Phil Jackson not being the greatest coach of all time. The detractors have said over and over that Phil only won titles because of inheriting good teams.

Well, Mike Brown ended his run with a good team; D'Antoni inherited a good team. We still haven't seen a turnaround, yet.

Phil Jackson, GCOAT.
charvin

Postby 7secondmess on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:13 pm

kenshi1023 wrote:i guess it is time to bring back we want phil rally at the next home game! we want phil! we want phil! we want phil! we want phil!

Knick fans were chanting fire D'Antoni in the fourth quarter of the last game. The guy is a disaster and was a disaster there.
7secondmess

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion