Minor trade having major implications for Lakers

Minor trade having major implications for Lakers

Postby Weezy on Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:57 pm

I came across this article today and thought it brought up many interesting points, so rather than have it get lost in another thread, I felt it deserved its own.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/38975/minor-trade-having-major-implications

Minor trade having major implications
February, 23, 2014 10:58 PM PT
By Dave McMenamin
ESPNLosAngeles.com

LOS ANGELES -- As far a blockbuster trades go, the Los Angeles Lakers deciding to swap Steve Blake to the Golden State Warriors this week for two little-known bench players and save the team $4 million in salary and luxury tax fees barely made a blip on the radar.

But those little-known players, Kent Bazemore and MarShon Brooks, are suddenly being played a lot and that seemingly minor deadline deal has the rest of the Lakers feeling out of whack.

Nick Young made his comeback to the lineup in Sunday's 108-102 loss to the Brooklyn Nets after missing the past six games because of a non-displaced fracture of the patella and a bone bruise in his left knee, and admitted that he may have rushed his return.

"They was actually telling me to wait until it's pain-free, but I just love the game of basketball and I want to get out there as fast as I can," Young said after putting up 10 points on 3-for-4 shooting in 20 minutes.

Young undoubtedly loves to play more than most in his sport, but his decision wasn't entirely altruistic. Young's contract expires at the end of the season and there will be money to be had on the free-agent market if he proves he can still play over this final stretch to the season.

To prove it, he'll need playing time, something he feared could be dwindling with Bazemore averaging 31 minutes in his first two games with L.A., Brooks averaging 21 minutes and Xavier Henry set to return in a week from the bone bruise in his right knee.

"When you see players out there -- like when we had four point guards -- you don't want to be lost in the shuffle," Young said. "I wanted to get back."

Young wanted to be back so bad that when he was re-examined this week by Lakers physician Steve Lombardo, he did not opt for an MRI exam on his knee as a final clearance.

"I'd rather not know it," Young said. "I told Doc I was ready."

While it has been a fairytale turn of events for Bazemore and Brooks to go from nightly DNPs to averaging 16 and 10.5 points, respectively, through their first two games with the purple and gold, it has been unsettling to the glut of wing players the Lakers already had on the roster.

After an up-and-down season, Wesley Johnson had finally found his rhythm, averaging 16.6 points in seven games in February leading up to the trade deadline. In the two games since L.A. made the Blake deal? Johnson has scored four points while taking five shots and will now find minutes only at the stretch-4 position, rather than his natural wing spot.

"I've got to clear some room for Nick Young to be able to play and we're going to have Xavier Henry back and we're going to have a log-jam back there," Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni said. "We want to see MarShon Brooks, he was playing well. We want to see Bazemore. We want Xavier Henry. So these are all the guys, so Wesley Johnson's going to have to be able to play the 4 a little bit. We still want to see him and we'll see how that goes."

Pau Gasol, who was trying to keep positive as recently as a couple of days ago when he realized he would be finishing out the season in L.A. when no deadline deal included him, sees what's going on and says he doesn't think it's a breeding ground for success.

"We'll see how it goes for the next [26] games that we have left," Gasol said. "The coach decides to rotate these guys and I doubt there is going to be any consistency on their minutes. So, they're just going to have to be ready to play, bring the energy and do their best."

It's a fair to point out that at 19-37, the Lakers really shouldn't owe any playing time to any of the players who contributed to that terrible record, but at the same time, there seems to be a lack of loyalty.

"I think it changed a lot," Johnson said of the Blake trade. "I think for us having the players that we did have and then really getting the same type of players that came in, it just added more bodies and people are coming back from their injuries and everything, so we're really just trying to find some type of chemistry. Find some type of flow now. At this point, it's kind of hard."

Other players are recognizing what's going on. When Robert Sacre received his first DNP in more than a month Friday, Jordan Hill yelled out to him across the locker room, "Great work tonight, Rob." Not to chide him, but more so bring attention to the snub. When Kendall Marshall didn't get off the bench in the final quarter Sunday, Young interrupted his talk with the media to shout out, "All right, Kendall. Maybe next fourth quarter."

With two months left in the season, the Lakers seem to be throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks, trotting out their 29th different starting lineup of the season Sunday.

"We are still trying to figure it out," Marshall said. "We are playing with a different lineup and the minutes have been ranging, so we are still trying to get a feel for each other."

The problem is, at this point, with no mutual goal of making the postseason keeping the group together, it is more about "me" than "we" moving forward.

"I just want to play," Young said. "We ain't got too many games left and I don't know what's going to happen after the season, so I just want to have that Laker uniform on."

First, on Nick Young, I knew he came back fast, I was shocked to hear he was back already for a reason. If he still has pain and really did not want to take an MRI to avoid reality yet he's still allowed to play, wow. And yeah, you can tell this trade has thrown off some other guys, Marshall and Johnson aren't the same, Farmar keeps passing the ball off once past half court and not playing pg, and less of a big deal to me, but noticeable, Sacre isn't playing. We really do look like we're throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks, it's an interesting way to go, and I thought this was an interesting read.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Re: Minor trade having major implications for Lakers

Postby scissors on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:15 pm

This team is so disorganized.
scissors

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:17 pm

I'd rather see Brooks/Bazemore/Young/Henry play over Johnson/Meeks

We know what Meeks can do, he scores 15 points and gives up 30.
We know what Johnson can do, he makes a block and a shot a game and knows next to nothing on how to position himself on defense.

Let the new guys play. I'd play them over Young and Henry as well.

Young needs to be smart about his injury. Everyone in the league knows what he can do, there is no point in further risking injury coming back to soon from a previous one (See Kobe).

Henry has had knee problems in the past, he needs to take this time and get 100% healthy. We should definitely bring him back because he would be a good addition into the cheap wings we can roster next season.

What we don't know is if the two new guys can seize their opportunity. We are the Lakers where cast off players happen, so I agree with giving them run to see what they got.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby TIME on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:18 pm

100% on D'Antoni. Even if Mitch ordered him to give minutes to the B's for tryout sake, it's not less important for the coach to define roles and establish clear rotation patterns, it's more important. The throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks approach seems to define his coaching style. It's lame. I'd complain more but I've run out of ways to express my feelings on Pringles.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:29 pm

I agree with a lot of your take, Doc. I think we've seen enough of Johnson. I don't think he's consistent enough, gets his head in the game enough, or is good enough on defense aside from highlight blocks to keep around next season unless we're desperate for minimum salary roster filler at some point. Meeks I'm unsure on, he hustles and is cheap, but I think I'd rather try and keep Henry and Young as Kobe backups, maybe even Brooks over Meeks too because of his height and ability to get to the hoop, depending on how he continues to play.

I have no issue with Johnson's game suffering right now though, we're not trying to win, but I don't want him moved to the 4 to get time. I just hope Marshall can pick his game back up again, he's the one I'm more focused on. And yeah what is Young doing rushing back if he's not right, he's got his next contract to think about, a few more games missed wasn't gonna hurt that. And lastly, I agree, give the new guys time, take as close a look at Bazemore as you need to, I'm very interested to see if he can keep up his defense above anything else.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:54 pm

After reading that I am more disappointed in Mike D. The guys have no idea what they are doing or what they would be asked to do. The fact that guys are chiding each other over not knowing what they are going to do. Mike has to go he has lost control of a team that is lost already.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:37 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:After reading that I am more disappointed in Mike D. The guys have no idea what they are doing or what they would be asked to do. The fact that guys are chiding each other over not knowing what they are going to do. Mike has to go he has lost control of a team that is lost already.

Just playing devils advocate here.. That call to try different rotations so we can evaluate all of these young guys & see who we want to bring back next season could be coming from above D'antoni's head, & probably is. I think the tank has officially been on ever since Mitch called MDA into his office for a meeting after the Philly loss.
LakersN4

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:26 pm

LakersN4 wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:After reading that I am more disappointed in Mike D. The guys have no idea what they are doing or what they would be asked to do. The fact that guys are chiding each other over not knowing what they are going to do. Mike has to go he has lost control of a team that is lost already.

Just playing devils advocate here.. That call to try different rotations so we can evaluate all of these young guys & see who we want to bring back next season could be coming from above D'antoni's head, & probably is. I think the tank has officially been on ever since Mitch called MDA into his office for a meeting after the Philly loss.

I don't know if any of you watch House of Cards, but Mitch is the real-world Frank Underwood.

Mitch: "Mike, doesn't it sound like a good idea to see how Bazemore & Brooks look?"

Pringles: "Well yeah, Mitch...but they're both SG and with Young back in rotation with Meeks I just don't know if there's room...."

Mitch: "I don't think you answered my question. I said doesn't it sound like a good idea to see how Bazemore and Brooks look. In fact, start Johnson. I don't want Hill getting hurt again this season. The minutes might be getting to him. You like stretch-4's, don't you Mike?"

Pringles: "I see. I just wonder how we'll do defensively with no height and no rebounding."

Mitch: "Do you like your brother Dan, Mike?"

Pringles: "Are you suggesting..."

Mitch: "And when you address it in the post-game you were looking to what, Mike?"

Pringles: "Stretch the floor".
Chillbongo

Postby abeer3 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:30 pm

loyalty? to one-year deals, most of whom will bolt to the highest bidder after padding stats on a bottom feeder? color me disinterested. at least nick young is saying it's because he wants to play for the lakers.

sacre should be glad he's got a guaranteed deal next year, and Johnson had plenty of opportunity all season long to be anything but what he's been thus far in his career.

as for marshall, if anything, the blake trade should help him stay on the floor more than he might have had nash, blake, and farmar all come back. would people be on the side of loyalty then.

the article is just pointing out that the coaches and players all know that a) the season's over and b) they're now just auditioning for jobs next year. I'm guessing dantoni is going to try all sorts of things with the hope that they can decide which players are worth keeping. I'm fine with it.

the only guy I'd like to "do right by" is young, as he's the only one who's really shown a strong interest in being part of the team long term. I get the sense he might take a bit less to stay. others...doubt it.
abeer3

Postby karacha on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:23 pm

Swaggy should absolutely sit and rest that knee. And I am one of his biggest supporters. Let these younger guys audition, sit back and relax. We all know what he can do. We want him on the team and will offer him a decent contract for sure. There's no reason to rush and make the knee worse then it already is. I mean, I appreciate that he loves the game and all, but now is the time to experiment and not worry about winning games. It is what it is.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:28 pm

To be quite honest, I hope nothing "sticks" about this season...NOTHING!
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:31 pm

Doc Brown wrote:I'd rather see Brooks/Bazemore/Young/Henry play over Johnson/Meeks

We know what Johnson can do, he makes a block and a shot a game and knows next to nothing on how to position himself on defense.

Young needs to be smart about his injury. Everyone in the league knows what he can do, there is no point in further risking injury coming back to soon from a previous one (See Kobe).

Henry has had knee problems in the past, he needs to take this time and get 100% healthy. We should definitely bring him back because he would be a good addition into the cheap wings we can roster next season.

What we don't know is if the two new guys can seize their opportunity. We are the Lakers where cast off players happen, so I agree with giving them run to see what they got.

Completely agree with Doc.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:02 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
LakersN4 wrote:

I don't know if any of you watch House of Cards, but Mitch is the real-world Frank Underwood.

Mitch: "Mike, doesn't it sound like a good idea to see how Bazemore & Brooks look?"

Pringles: "Well yeah, Mitch...but they're both SG and with Young back in rotation with Meeks I just don't know if there's room...."

Mitch: "I don't think you answered my question. I said doesn't it sound like a good idea to see how Bazemore and Brooks look. In fact, start Johnson. I don't want Hill getting hurt again this season. The minutes might be getting to him. You like stretch-4's, don't you Mike?"

Pringles: "I see. I just wonder how we'll do defensively with no height and no rebounding."

Mitch: "And when you address it in the post-game you were looking to what, Mike?"

:man10:

I can't believe they're pushing season 3 back to June 2015 at the earliest. Could watch that show every day.

Mitch finishes talk with:

LakersN4

Postby D.B. Cooper on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:49 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:I'd rather see Brooks/Bazemore/Young/Henry play over Johnson/Meeks

Completely agree with Doc.
D.B. Cooper

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:02 pm

LakersN4 wrote:

That isn't a deivils advocate there very well could be a call from the top. That being said it is the coaches job to keep the guys in some sort of understanding of what is going on. When you have guys who are professional quality locker room guys not acting like it that is a direct reflection of the coach. No matter what the convo was nothing can excuse our guys not playing hard. Letting Jodi Meeks, who I like, gaurd Paul Pierce and Joe Johnson is about as wise as taking a swim in shark alley.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby M2K on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:44 am

Doc Brown wrote:I'd rather see Brooks/Bazemore/Young/Henry play over Johnson/Meeks.

I disagree 100%.

I think MDA should sit Brooks and Bazemore or play then minimal minutes behind players like Johnson and Meeks.

The reasons are simple:

1) Brooks and Bazemore are better players than Johnson and Meeks.. and might help us win a few extra games this year.

2) If MDA plays Brooks and Basemore... and they both do well... the price to keep them will only go up after the season.

3) We need to showcase players we are not planning to keep... so we can do a few "sign & trades" in the offseason with those players and get something in return.

4) I want Brooks and Basemore to be pissed at MDA when the season finally ends for not playing them... thus adding on another two players that want to see MDA replaced.

5) And finally... I want MDA gone and winning a few more games going into the end of the season may give Jim Buss an excuse to keep him around next season. :hurl:

So again... lets keep Brooks and Bazemore on the bench as much as possible from here on out.
M2K

Postby OX1947 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:19 am

I'd rather fast forward to April so this season can officially be put in the fireplace and burnt to hell.
OX1947

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:48 am

Good points last 2 posts ^^^.
LTLakerFan

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:30 am

LakersN4 wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:
LakersN4 wrote:

:man10:

I can't believe they're pushing season 3 back to June 2015 at the earliest. Could watch that show every day.

Mitch finishes talk with:

Then taps the desk twice with his right hand.

As I read that exchange from Chillabongo, Mitch was talking in Frank's southern drawl. :man10:
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:20 am

Other players are recognizing what's going on. When Robert Sacre received his first DNP in more than a month Friday, Jordan Hill yelled out to him across the locker room, "Great work tonight, Rob." Not to chide him, but more so bring attention to the snub. When Kendall Marshall didn't get off the bench in the final quarter Sunday, Young interrupted his talk with the media to shout out, "All right, Kendall. Maybe next fourth quarter."

I don't like that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:12 am

Savory Griddles wrote:Then taps the desk twice with his right hand.

As I read that exchange from Chillabongo, Mitch was talking in Frank's southern drawl. :man10:

Exactly as I intended :man10:

LakersN4 I cannot believe it. 2014 will be a year of withdrawals....
Chillbongo

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:20 am

M2K wrote:1) Brooks and Bazemore are better players than Johnson and Meeks.. and might help us win a few extra games this year.

Really? Because they were helping GSW win so many more games this year? Adding two role players that haven't fulfilled those expectations in their careers, aren't going to add any more wins than Meeks and Johnson.

2) If MDA plays Brooks and Basemore... and they both do well... the price to keep them will only go up after the season.

And if MDA doesn't play them and we sign them next year and they stink, we are stuck with garbage on guaranteed deals.

3) We need to showcase players we are not planning to keep... so we can do a few "sign & trades" in the offseason with those players and get something in return.

What have we been doing all season? You think the league doesn't know what our players have to offer by now?

4) I want Brooks and Basemore to be pissed at MDA when the season finally ends for not playing them... thus adding on another two players that want to see MDA replaced.

What? So you want two players to be pissed about not playing. They aren't going to get the coach fired, they will just go to another team. That made no sense. MDA isn't going to get fired because Bazemore and Brooks don't like him.

5) And finally... I want MDA gone and winning a few more games going into the end of the season may give Jim Buss an excuse to keep him around next season. :hurl:

Brooks and Bazemore are going to add that many wins huh? Brooks and Bazemore are going to be the reason MDA gets fired and the FO realizes MDA should leave. Really?

So again... lets keep Brooks and Bazemore on the bench as much as possible from here on out.

That's not going to happen.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:32 am

abeer3 wrote:
the only guy I'd like to "do right by" is young, as he's the only one who's really shown a strong interest in being part of the team long term. I get the sense he might take a bit less to stay. others...doubt it.

What about Jordan? He gave up a ton of money to come here.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:33 am

therealdeal wrote:

I don't like that.

You might like it when Jim and Jeanie take notice and fire D'Antoni next season. :man1:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby M2K on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:39 am

1) Yes... really... playing better players increase the chance of their team winning.

2) Yes... but in either case... stink or not stink... we want to pay them as little money as possible. So, unless you have a crystal ball guaranteeing the FO these two players will definitely stink, we have to go on the premise that "the ability we've seen so far" will contribute to winning games next year.

3) Yes... we need to continue showcasing players that suck in an effort to raise their value by them "having a few" good games so some hopeful GM will bite in the offseason.

4) Yes... want two players to be pissed at MDA for not given floor time... so the reputation of MDA having problem with players continues to grow and give those in the Lakers organization, not named Jim Buss, more ammunition to use in their internal discussions about making a coaching change or not.

5) Yes... Maybe... and Maybe... which is better than guaranteeing that MDA is our coach next year.

Glad I could help you better understand why we should give Brooks and Bazemore less playing time.
M2K

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion