Minutes Question: The Elephant in the Room?

Minutes Question: The Elephant in the Room?

Postby SpencerHarrison on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:53 pm

This seemed to be a cross thread kind of question.

When Pau and Kobe return, who's minutes will suffer?

Obviously matchups will be a huge factor in determining court time, but if it were up to me:

*Pau directly backs up Howard.

*Meeks loses time for Jamison. Play the hot hand.

*Clark loses time to Pau to close games unless it's a defensive matchup situation.

D'Antoni likes his short rotations, but the Lakers do have a nearly complete bench. Blake, Pau, Jamison, Meeks and either Nash or Kobe.

Anyone else see this working out differently? Or prefer another approach?
SpencerHarrison

Re: Minutes Question: The Elephant in the Room?

Postby Center Court on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:18 pm

I'd personally coach look this (using MDA's system and rotational guys), These would be the rotations I'd use through the half. Obviously matchups and foul trouble could change things but I think that's the best flow of chemistry and balance.

Dwight
Clark
MWP
Kobe
Nash

Pau
Jamison
Kobe
Meeks
Blake

Pau
Clark
Jamison
Meeks
Blake

Dwight
Pau
MWP
Blake
Nash

Dwight
Pau
MWP
Kobe
Nash

Depending on who we play, the half could end with Jamison, Blake, Meeks, or Clark in place of MWP.
Center Court

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:29 pm

Clark and Meeks will be the two who will see the most significant decrease in play. Since both seem to have hit the wall at full speed (I believe Clark has a couple of injuries too), that's perfectly alright with me.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby trodgers on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:00 am

I think Gasol gets worked back in slowly. Given how D'Antoni feels about him (although I think he's warming to him a bit), he might not play more than 12-18 minutes a game in the first few. Clark can probably yield 5-10 minutes for Gasol, Howard can probably give up 2-5, and Meeks (somehow) could give up another 3-8 reasonably. That would free up 10-23 minutes for Pau without a huge disruption to the rotation.

Going forward from there, I'm not sure. Pau won't be happy without starting, and he won't be happy with 20ish MPG. Maybe D'Antoni could pull Howard at that 3-4 minute mark in the first Q, send in Gasol to work as the big, and let Howard rest to start with the second unit in the second Q.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:34 am

Seems to me if we could get everyone healthy and able to bust their butts out there that they all would welcome being able to play less minutes and be fresher and less gassed as we head into the playoffs. This is what deep teams do. The talent level we have through 9 players once we got a decent offense to run (still a work in progress) and set, "sensible" rotations.....I consider us now a fairly "deep" team.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:54 am

JSM wrote:Clark and Meeks will be the two who will see the most significant decrease in play. Since both seem to have hit the wall at full speed (I believe Clark has a couple of injuries too), that's perfectly alright with me.

This.

What I'm hoping for (with some reality mixed in) is eventually if we all heal up right for the playoffs:

Nash (30)/Blake(18)
Bryant (25)/ Meeks (15)/ Blake (8)
Peace (30)/ Bryant (10)/Clark (8)
Clark (15)/ Jamison (25)/ Gasol (8)
Howard (35)/ Gasol (13)

Or something along those lines. I'm totally fine with that rotation. And if Hill ever comes back, have him play Gasol's minutes at PF and have Clark take a couple more minutes at SF instead of PF.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby noobiew on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:10 am

^ Yes, don't cut Jamison minutes, Jamison needs the mins to produce, he got accustomed to his role and is the perfect backup 4 for us at the moment. Pau Gasol is a center and will be start from the bench to backup Dwight.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:40 am

Just read in the paper Times as Dwight being quoted, "no comment" last night when asked if he was tired after his effort and 40 minutes on the floor. They should all have their minutes cut considerably, unless the game is on the line, then they do what they have to do.
LTLakerFan

Postby trodgers on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:08 am

I agree that minutes should be cut, but with the injuries we're dealing with, it's tough.

No Kobe, no Gasol, no Hill. That's a big blow to our wing and big depth.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:10 pm

I agree. Just saying having to cut minutes if we are competing and winning the games we have to is no elephant to worry about as guys come back. We should run everyone less and act like a team with some quality depth. Like other teams who use that kind of depth well. I know.... another one of Dan's little quirks, he likes a short rotation. Well he needs to be smart about this. And he's been doing a good job with rotations unlike Potato.
LTLakerFan

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:19 pm

I think it's a little bit of the cart before the horse right now. Pau and Kobe are still out so it's very hard to say when each one will return and how it will work out to stagger minutes. I agree with T Rodgers that Pau will be eased back in - not huge minutes right away. They will want to make sure he gets back into the flow cautiously at first. Anything else would be silly. You don't want him to have set backs.

I do think the guy whose minutes comes down the most is Clark. He's fallen back to earth and he's not so glaringly playing great that you would want to keep in the starting lineup. Howard's minutes should drop a bit, too. Jamison's probably will slightly but he's playing great so D' Antoni will probably ride the hot hand there as he should. Clark will take the biggest dip in minutes. His play lately kind of dictates that I believe.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Juronimo on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:46 pm

trodgers wrote:I agree that minutes should be cut, but with the injuries we're dealing with, it's tough.

We're kind of in a rock and a hard place with minutes. If guys like Darius Morris get significant playing time, a lead could disappear in a hurry. I'm afraid we're stuck until Kobe and Gasol come back.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:08 pm

I'm pretty happy with the rotations as they are right now. Obviously if we had Hill and Gasol and Kobe things would be better, but the rotations are fine.

The only thing I'd like to see is getting guys out at the end of the 1st and 3rd quarters so they can have a nice 15-20 minute rest on the bench. Go ahead and put Duhon or Sacre in there when we're up by 7 with 1 minute left. Even if we end up being up by only 4 by the end of that minute, our guys will have an extra 5-10 minutes of rest because of it which means less chance of injury and more energy when they need it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Juronimo wrote:
trodgers wrote:I agree that minutes should be cut, but with the injuries we're dealing with, it's tough.

We're kind of in a rock and a hard place with minutes. If guys like Darius Morris get significant playing time, a lead could disappear in a hurry. I'm afraid we're stuck until Kobe and Gasol come back.

I agree; but I don't think we have to give any one guy significant time. We have a bunch of guys who could go in just for a few minutes to spell someone. Howard is playing heavy minutes; Clark is running low; it's really just those two guys whose minutes concern me.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Juronimo on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:19 pm

trodgers wrote:
Juronimo wrote:

I agree; but I don't think we have to give any one guy significant time. We have a bunch of guys who could go in just for a few minutes to spell someone. Howard is playing heavy minutes; Clark is running low; it's really just those two guys whose minutes concern me.

I think you're right. I don't see what choice we have at this time. The team looks burnt out. The last thing we need is another injury or something.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:26 pm

MWP! WILL LOSE MINS TO JAMISON/CLARK BECAUSE METTA COULD PLAY PF N MOVE PAU TO C WE HAVE ALOT OF DIFF GREAT LINE UPS FULL STRENGHT
PurpleNGold1

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:27 pm

LESS MINS FOR MWP SEEMS ABOUT RIGHT TO ME! :jam2: LESS MINS MORE PRODUCTIVE UNLESS WE NEED EM OUT THERE FOR THE 48
PurpleNGold1

Return to Lakers Discussion