Mitch confirms Mike D'Antoni will return as coach (Pg. 4)

Re: Mitch confirms Mike D'Antoni will return as coach (Pg. 4)

Postby gcclaker on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:10 am

It's unfortunate about Adelman's situation because that was my first choice A.P. [After Phil]. I liked him in Portland, Sacramento and Portland. Scott? After his flame-outs...not sure. 24 would respect him though. Stan Van Gundy? Meh...

There is still a huge need to infuse this group with youth and athleticism at the 3, 4, bench in some shape or form. Until that is addressed...no coach even with a great mind can fix things moving forward. All he will do is buy time but will have to rely on perfect circumstances to contend with the Miamis and OKCs...
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:20 am

gcclaker wrote:It's unfortunate about Adelman's situation because that was my first choice A.P. [After Phil]. I liked him in Portland, Sacramento and Portland. Scott? After his flame-outs...not sure. 24 would respect him though. Stan Van Gundy? Meh...

There is still a huge need to infuse this group with youth and athleticism at the 3, 4, bench in some shape or form. Until that is addressed...no coach even with a great mind can fix things moving forward. All he will do is buy time but will have to rely on perfect circumstances to contend with the Miamis and OKCs...

agreed...Adelman was my choice as well...

what's your take on maybe Jeff Van Gundy taking over?
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby gcclaker on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:24 am

Pound... I would LOVE Jeff Van Gundy. He's got the moxie to deal with the pressure and will get players to be accountable. The one thing I see he'd be criticized for is his offense. It would be like Brown all over again but a legit one this time.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:43 am

Very true but JVG never had as versatile offensive players as he would have in LA next year, especially if we make some upgrades. He's never had a player like Kobe Bryant. He would know how to use Dwight.

This team can figure out the offense. Especially with Kobe back. Especially if we make an upgrade at PG/SF. Defense is where this team needs help. Badly. We also need to reduce our TO's. Which would come with an improved offense.

My only concern with JVG is his track record. He's a career .580 coach which isn't poor by any means, and much better than our current coach. He did take some injury ridden Houston teams to the 3rd seed twice, but they never made it past the first round.

I don't remember if it was because of injuries now, but it could have very well been. He's still an improvement over MDA, Mike Brown, Dunleavy and is at least more proven than someone like Shaw.
Chillbongo

Postby gcclaker on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:49 am

^In New York, he had Ewing, Larry Johnson, Sprewell and Houston too but he still slowed down the tempo but dictated defense. What Van Gundy has in spades is doling out accountability. If he can call out Bryant for being negligent on defense on national TV we can bet he'd do that in practice or in games.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:55 am

SVG would probably be a better fit; he's proven he can build defense around D12 out of lesser defensive perimeter players. But JVG would be an intriguing hire.
Some try to tell me
Thoughts they cannot defend...
--Hayward
jlkr

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:09 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:^^^Lakers bought out Brown, so he got his while he'll also get paid by the Cavs if they hire him. Money is committed and gone, unfortunately.

Not true. Looks like we'll save anywhere from 3-4M with Brown heading to Cleveland on a 5 year deal...so basically we won't be paying for Mike Brown any longer....and that does sort of open the door for Dantoni to see the door..and with the number of coaching jobs open...I bet that Dantoni gets picked up by another team and we won't have to pay for his contract either.

A lot will depend on Dwight...and my guess is he's going to privately tell folks he's NOT in favor of Dantoni
FabFourLakers

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:41 am

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Sorry was scrolling down the topics and every time I see this one it's like the doctor hitting you in that little sweet spot on the knee, but involves the head and a wall.
LTLakerFan

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:04 am

LTLakerFan wrote::bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Sorry was scrolling down the topics and every time I see this one it's like the doctor hitting you in that little sweet spot on the knee, but involves the head and a wall.

Sad, but true.

And, the timing of the FO's voiced approval of D' Antoni and assurance that he would return were convenient enough, right? They came right after the Lakers had managed to get into the post season by the skin of their teeth, but before we saw what D' Antoni could do with them in the playoffs. And came right on the heels of the news of Phil wanting to return to the NBA in some capacity. D' Antoni should not have job security just because he ran Kobe into the ground, and got wins after the team dropped his offense completely.
Lakerjones

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:26 am

I really dont think his job is secure as we think. Is it likely they'd rather avoid the expense of a new coach? Sure. But at the same time Brown got a vote of confidence not too long before he got canned, and Id say the approval rating for Pringles is atleast just as low as it was for Brown.

There's an additional level of vitriol from fans that gets thrown just from knowing that we could've had Phil. That fiasco of interviewing Phil with no real intention of hiring him really blew up in their faces.

But anyway, Id think that changing your mind and firing a coach when you have all summer to get a new one and find players to suit his system is more likely than changing your mind and firing a coach 4 games or whatever it was into the regular season with basically a new roster and that happened so........
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:29 am

^^ Not disagreeing with any of your points at all Tobias. However, I'm just not as confident as other people that they are going to fire this guy - even though he ran Kobe into the freaking ground, and hasn't done a great job in the playoffs.

We'll see. I hope as much as I can that he will get canned. But I'm not counting on it.
Lakerjones

Postby Center Court on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:44 am

It comes down to Dwight..

Mitch: "Dwight, we want you to stay here in LA, become a dominant force, and lead this team to multiple championships."

Dwight: "I feel like we've got the talent, but we just don't playing the right way. We don''t emphasize D, and that's my bread and butter"

MDA is fired.

The problem is who replaces him that is accepted by the fan-base and has the clout and pedigree to turn this team back into contenders?

Almost anyone outside Phil is going to be met with criticism and every coach knows that. Pat Riley/Pop/Thibs/Coach K are the only guys who'd be celebrated. NONE of which would leave their situation at all.

Maybe Byron Scott gets a pass being a former Laker. Adleman could probably find a safe haven here for a bit too. Same with JVG. Then again, Byron has fizzled out the past couple spots, Adleman is under contract, and JVG has a good thing going with ABC. Brian Shaw is another name that comes up but seems the Lakers don't want to go that direction either.

Jerry Sloan is the one name that I left out.. clearly we showed no interest in him when we hired MDA and he is a heavy pick n roll coach.. which as of now, we don't have the right personal for. As I've said before, Malone was a great combo of Dwight and Pau. However, neither would be as effective under Sloan.

All that said, I'm very curious to see how this plays out. Do the Lakers make a plea to Dwight to let MDA bringin his own staff and a full training camp? Do they give in and fire him?

Either way, we need shooters, athletes, and a starting small SF.
Center Court

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:44 am

If D'Antoni stays, I can live with it. I just hope they get some great assistants to help the defensive side of the ball, but at this point.....I really want Phil back.

I want him back just to get the monkey off everyone's back-Kobe's 6th, Nash's 1st, Dwight's 1st, Pau's 3rd, etc.

Sign him for a year for all I care. I just want those things to happen and then the team and tank or overhaul or whatever and I'll still be a fan.
The Laker Link

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:09 am

Definitely agree LJ. It would be somewhat of a surprise if he did get fired, but not as much as it was when Brown was. They had every excuse NOT to fire Brown when they did (other than being a horrible coach and all that :man10: ).

These public statements of confidence from the FO in coaches always seem to come at a point where fans are probably voicing their displeasure at such an alarming rate that they feel they have to address it to try and make the noise go away.

The statement on Brown came when fans were basically screaming "Why get an all star roster and have a below average coach", and then the outcry after the Pringles hire pushed Jimmy to send Mitch out to spew BS about Pringles being the better fit. Now this latest vote of confidence sprung from another surge in fan outrage following Kobe's injury.

Or maybe Mitch's habit of saying "No major roster changes" and then doing just that has me overthinking things. :man10:
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby The Rock on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:20 am

If we get swept out of the playoffs without the games being competitive, I think Dwight will want him out. At that point he's gone. Now it really comes down to Dwight's preference because re-signing him is our Number 1 priorirty

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby VincentTH on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:59 am

A blind fan can see that MDA's RunNGun scheme would not work with the aging Lakers roster, and only Jimmy boy did not see that. When Phil was the coach, Kobe's minutes was always his #1 issue. Just go back to his before or after game interviews. Win or lose, PJ's #1 concerns are always minutes that Kobe/Pau/Bynum are playing.

I refuse to watch any Lakers game after MDA hire, but when I read the Sports section that Kobe played 40 mins a game, I just shook my head: This coach is too myopic and his only interest is to save his job!!!!!
VincentTH

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:06 am

Tobias Funke wrote:Definitely agree LJ. It would be somewhat of a surprise if he did get fired, but not as much as it was when Brown was. They had every excuse NOT to fire Brown when they did (other than being a horrible coach and all that :man10: ).

These public statements of confidence from the FO in coaches always seem to come at a point where fans are probably voicing their displeasure at such an alarming rate that they feel they have to address it to try and make the noise go away.

The statement on Brown came when fans were basically screaming "Why get an all star roster and have a below average coach", and then the outcry after the Pringles hire pushed Jimmy to send Mitch out to spew BS about Pringles being the better fit. Now this latest vote of confidence sprung from another surge in fan outrage following Kobe's injury.

Or maybe Mitch's habit of saying "No major roster changes" and then doing just that has me overthinking things. :man10:

No, the most obvious reason was physical. Potato was unable to continue without a sufficient time to heal all the 3rd degree burns after Kobe lit him up with the laser death ray. :man1: :man9:
LTLakerFan

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion