Mitch confirms Mike D'Antoni will return as coach (Pg. 4)

Re: MDA returning next year as Lakers coach?

Postby karacha on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:54 pm

Well, the difference is few million dollars. I am actually looking forward to next season. I think we'll be better then we are now. I am curious to see if Mitch can get someone good for Pau. If we can get at least some youth and athleticism, re-sign Clark, have healthy Hill at Dwight in beast mode... yeah, that sounds pretty good. Defensively, we'll be better, we'll get younger, and then Summer 2014... I honestly can't wait to see what's going to happen. Something tells me it's going to be big.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:02 pm

karacha wrote:Well, the difference is few million dollars. I am actually looking forward to next season. I think we'll be better then we are now. I am curious to see if Mitch can get someone good for Pau. If we can get at least some youth and athleticism, re-sign Clark, have healthy Hill at Dwight in beast mode... yeah, that sounds pretty good. Defensively, we'll be better, we'll get younger, and then Summer 2014... I honestly can't wait to see what's going to happen. Something tells me it's going to be big.

I'm leaning this way too.

I think this summer is going to be fun and interesting. Next summer is going to be even more interesting.

I'd like to think Gasol will be moved this summer for a nice, younger, perimeter player. And that we'll reload a little bit with outside shooters and youth. We'll build around Dwight and hopefully Kobe comes back at some point and we see some exciting basketball.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:03 pm

Weezy wrote:Lastly, since 1987, these are the coaches that have won titles,

Pat Riley, Chuck Daly, Phil Jackson, Rudy T, Gregg Popovich, Larry Brown, Doc Rivers, Rick Carlisle, and Erik Spoelstra, that is it, in over 2 decades.

That's incredible.

Assuming a heat W in 2013,

9 coaches responsible for 27 championships. :man4:

Yet since 1987 we've had 20 all time great players.
Chillbongo

Postby karacha on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:04 pm

And don't get me wrong. I love Pau. He helped us get those championships. He's a wonderful guy and a very skilled basketball player. But that contract has to go, and it can bring us... the future.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:14 pm

karacha wrote:And don't get me wrong. I love Pau. He helped us get those championships. He's a wonderful guy and a very skilled basketball player. But that contract has to go, and it can bring us... the future.

Exactly.

I love Pau, I love how he's playing right now, but I think both he and the Lakers organization can see the writing on the wall.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:14 pm

karacha wrote:And don't get me wrong. I love Pau. He helped us get those championships. He's a wonderful guy and a very skilled basketball player. But that contract has to go, and it can bring us... the future.

I agree with this assessment. He looks more healthy then he has been all season, and he's looked pretty good since he came back from his latest injury. There will be teams on the market that want Pau and my hope is we can get younger and start building toward the future while still remaining competitive. Unfortunately, we have no draft picks to attach to any player we trade. For instance, we got Sessions with an expiring K and a first rounder. We don't have that same luxury heading into the summer.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:18 pm

karacha wrote:Well, the difference is few million dollars. I am actually looking forward to next season. I think we'll be better then we are now. I am curious to see if Mitch can get someone good for Pau. If we can get at least some youth and athleticism, re-sign Clark, have healthy Hill at Dwight in beast mode... yeah, that sounds pretty good. Defensively, we'll be better, we'll get younger, and then Summer 2014... I honestly can't wait to see what's going to happen. Something tells me it's going to be big.

is Durant available in 2014?
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Heard it all before.

Coach Mike Part II. Now showing everywhere for your viewing (dis)pleasure.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Weezy on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:25 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:

Nope, I believe he's with OKC til '15/'16 and he's a loyal guy, can't see him leaving.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:26 pm

I would doubt that MDA gets fired unless Dwight requests it. Next year will probably be a rebuilding year, so I would think MDA stays just to avoid paying another coach.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:28 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:

List of Solid 2014 free agents

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8589693/nba-free-agents-2013-2014
Paul George (Restricted though)
Danny Granger
Zach Randolph (he'll be 33)
Melo
Evan Turner (Restricted though)
Marcin Gortat
Rudy Gay
Bosh
Lebron
Wade
Kyle Lowry

Melo seems intriguing. He'll be turning that 30 that year.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:37 pm

F*** no to Anthony.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:39 pm

Lets say Kobe doesn't return..whats wrong with Melo and Howard pairing?

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:48 pm

If you think Kobe's shooting was a problem, what the heck do you think Carmelo's will be?

Carmelo who has no resume to speak of. No rings to back him up. Chucks shots with impunity. Doesn't defend consistently. Doesn't rebound enough.

You think THAT is a good fit with Dwight?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:51 pm

therealdeal wrote:F*** no to Anthony.

Seconded. Thirded. Fourthed.

Rooting for NY but never want to see Melo in the p&g
Last edited by Chillbongo on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chillbongo

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:52 pm

So what if he doesn't have rings? Is he a superstar? Is he a piece towards a championship puzzle? If thats the case and if hes available and you can get him we have to get him.

He's the NBA 's leading scorer, averages 7 rebs a game (is it really that bad for a SF/PF?). Hes no Kobe when it comes to playmaking but hes a great scorer, a clutch player, he's improved his defense (hes not elite but hes getting better).

Every superstar has some hole in his game but that doesnt mean I wouldn't want him

Vs Durant last week in OKC: 15/29 36 points, 12 rebs, 0 assists, 0 turnovers. Durant was 7/17 27 points, 3 rebs, 7 assists. Melo did well against a fellow superstar whos here to stay in the West
Last edited by The Rock on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:53 pm

^ Wait, the same dude who thinks MDA is a great coach wants to see him reunited with CARMELO?

It's amazing the thought put into some things around here...
Chillbongo

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:55 pm

The Rock wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:

Danny Granger
Melo
Marcin Gortat
Rudy Gay
Bosh
Lebron
Wade
Kyle Lowry

watch Lebron and Wade leave Bosh in Miami to play with Dwight LOL
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:56 pm

Chillbongo wrote:^ Wait, the same dude who thinks MDA is a great coach wants to see him reunited with CARMELO?

They worked together during Team USA over the summer so why wouldn't it work out here?

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:57 pm

I don't know. Kevin Durant? LeBron James? Tyson Chandler? Russell Westbrook?

But I'm sure that's the same logic used to reason MDA being a fantastic hire in LA. "it worked in phoenix..."
Chillbongo

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:00 pm

Oh and there was this dude namd Mike Krzyzewski. Google him.
Chillbongo

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:01 pm

Listen I dont even know if MDA is gonna be here in 2014 (probably not) but its a player league, if you can get Melo you get Melo. Thats all I have to say on this

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:04 pm

:man4:
The Rock wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:^ Wait, the same dude who thinks MDA is a great coach wants to see him reunited with CARMELO?

They worked together during Team USA over the summer so why wouldn't it work out here?

Ok, I thought you were gonna say MDA will be gone after next season anyway to make sense of it, but you think it would actually work? No. Huge failure in NY, and TEAM USA is not the Lakers and 'Antonin was not the head coach anyway, you can't say a guy will work with another guy because they did well as parts of a team of Stars.

As for Melo here, I'm kinda with realdeal, I like his game, I think he's a great player and an MVP candidate, but I'm not sure I'd want him here. He doesn't seem to work with another star to well, like he and Amare can't seem to figure out how to play together, not sure the same issue wouldn't come up with Dwight. Again, I like Melo's game, but I'm not sure he's that guy to lead a team to a title. Maybe his play this playoffs will change my views on him. In the end I doubt he wants to leave NY anyway, it was his dream to go there. If we got Melo though, I certainly wouldn't be upset, he is a top player in the league.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:07 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:

Danny Granger
Melo
Marcin Gortat
Rudy Gay
Bosh
Lebron
Wade
Kyle Lowry

watch Lebron and Wade leave Bosh in Miami to play with Dwight LOL

I'd rather have Bosh and LeBron leave Wade over there. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:11 pm

The only way MDA is gone is if D12 tells the FO that it's either him or me.
borri

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion