Mitch confirms Mike D'Antoni will return as coach (Pg. 4)

Re: MDA returning next year as Lakers coach?

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:21 pm

I sure hope with all my heart and soul that he isn't.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:27 pm

borri wrote:The only way MDA is gone is if D12 tells the FO that it's either him or me.

We can only hope, but Ive felt the same for quite some time. Lakers aren't gonna want to pay three coaches and admit that they completely blew it yet again with a coaching hire, but its an easy choice if Dwight demands it.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby BDG on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:27 pm

We already used this excuse with Mike Brown and it didn't work well.

Not feeling to good about the Jim Buss era so far.

I kinda hope Howard returns & runs him outta town.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JSM on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:00 pm

I hope we lose our first five games next season and he gets booted.

Wish this news wasn't announced on the same day we make the playoffs and make the 7th seed. Way to rain on a parade. Even if we all knew this was the likely outcome deep down, I didn't want to accept it as reality just yet.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:07 pm

Chillbongo wrote:^ Wait, the same dude who thinks MDA is a great coach wants to see him reunited with CARMELO?

It's amazing the thought put into some things around here...

Ka Pow! :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby The Rock on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:12 am

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9185291/mike-dantoni-return-los-angeles-lakers-coach-next-season-gm-mitch-kupchak-says

"I think under the circumstances, Mike did a great job. We don't anticipate any kind of a change," Kupchak told ESPNLosAngeles.com.

"No training camp, all the injuries, through the end of the season he's done a great job."

D'Antoni took the job under rather remarkable circumstances this November. The Lakers fired Mike Brown just five games into the season, then interviewed three coaches in a 48-hour period before choosing D'Antoni, who was still recovering from knee replacement surgery.

One of those other coaches, was of course, former Lakers coach Phil Jackson. And the specter of the 11-time NBA champion coach, and the road not taken, has hung over the Laker franchise all season.

The Lakers lost that game to fall to 17-25 on the season, but rallied to go 28-12 the rest of the way, including a 5-0 mark to close out the season and vault past Houston into the No. 7 seed.

"He doesn't get enough credit, and understandably so," Kupchak said. "We struggled through two-thirds of the season and expectations were so high. The Lakers didn't help things by making the coaching change and putting Mike in that situation, which he was glad to take. But I think it was a little bit tougher than he thought it would be."

As the season went on, D'Antoni gradually changed his offense to fit the Lakers personnel, and adjusted to numerous injuries.

Every starter for the Lakers missed significant time. Dwight Howard missed time with a shoulder injury, Pau Gasol missed six weeks after tearing the plantar fascia in his right foot, Nash has been out on several occasions (two months with a broken leg, then the last two weeks with hamstring, hip and back issues) and Kobe Bryant was lost for the season with a torn Achilles' three games ago.

Kupchak credited D'Antoni and his staff for weathering those storms, and adjusting his system to better fit the personnel.

"You can watch personnel from 3,000 miles away and think you know a team. But when you get here and you watch the practice and play with that team, it might not be exactly what you thought it was," Kupchak said. "I thought he made adjustments and remained flexible with the players. We're not playing the same way we played when he first got here. We had a chance to look at the team and get to know the players, get to know the bench players and it's probably different than what he thought."

D'Antoni signed a three-year contract worth $12 million. The Lakers hold a team option on the fourth year of that deal. The Los Angeles Times first reported that D'Antoni will return next year.

The Lakers will face the No. 2 seeded San Antonio Spurs in a first-round playoff series beginning Sunday afternoon.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: Mitch confirms Mike D'Antoni will be return as coach (Pg. 4)

Postby Nashty Gal on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:18 am

meh, knew that was coming
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby The Rock on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:19 am

From LA times

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20130418,0,5620091.story

"Yeah, he's back. I think he's done a great job," Kupchak told The Times. "There's been no discussions otherwise.

"He's made adjustments. He's been flexible. He's evaluated how he coaches as the season's progressed. He's listened to the players. He's very easy to work with and we think in particular since the meeting the day of the Memphis game, yeah."

D'Antoni is 40-32 since taking over as the Lakers' coach, though the Lakers are 28-12 since the day after a team meeting called by D'Antoni in Memphis in January.

D'Antoni, 61, has two more guaranteed years for a total of $8 million. The Lakers also owe former coach Mike Brown about $6 million over the next two years. Brown was fired five games into this season.

The Lakers have remained patient with D'Antoni.

"Much has been made of the injuries, and the coaching change [in November] and no training camp, which is certainly a part of it," Kupchak said of their up-and-down season.

"It takes a while. You're in New York coaching and you see the Lakers once or twice a year, you don't know the personnel. And the injury situation when he got here, Steve Nash had the broken leg. There's just too much going on to really look at it any other way."
Last edited by The Rock on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:20 am

:hurl:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:21 am

This should come as no surprise. LA is NOT gonna pay 3 coaches...no matter which way you spin it.

Is he the BEST coach for us? Probably not...but did he make adjustments and are we the same team that he took over back in November? Absolutely not.

Do I still want him as the Lakers coach? Nope.
FabFourLakers

Postby Scnottaken on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:26 am

so he was the best fit coach. . . except he had to change everything about himself?
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby The Rock on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:29 am

Scnottaken wrote:so he was the best fit coach. . . except he had to change everything about himself?

Or hes smart enough to run plays in the halfcourt that fits the team too. Twin tower isnt his preference but that doesnt mean he has now knowledge of how to work it

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: Mitch confirms Mike D'Antoni will return as coach (Pg. 4)

Postby Weezy on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:32 am

Denial, not just a river in Egypt. Training camp won't mean anything, he won't teach them anything he doesn't in practice now. And injuries will happen, they always do, not this bad maybe, but it's another excuse to me. He'll stay because they gave him a 3 or 4 year deal, won't admit it was a mistake, and won't pay 2 coaches to not coach at the same time plus the new one they'd hire

And Rock I really don't get why you like and defend this guy so much, he's a mediocre coach. We'll see in the playoffs how good or bad he really is based on adjustments he makes, because that's what the playoffs are all about, playing the same team over and over and making the necessary adjustments as the series goes along.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:35 am

Because there are results being shown, I wouldn't support anyone if they're not part of a 28-12 run

We've all changed our tune on Pau haven't we? We gotta give him a chance

MDA's philosophies are more in line with the new NBA, he understands spacing and he knows enough about offense to create open opportunities for our guys on the floor which Mike Brown has ZERO knowledge of. If theres a better alternative like I've said all along I'm for canning MDA, until then we gotta support this guy

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby noobiew on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:37 am

Hey guys ! BREAKING NEWS ! Phil Jackson interested in coming back to the NBA !

If Phil wants to come back from coaching, that the only team he is destined to, the Lakers next season, I can't wait ! :jam2:

Phil Jackson ready for NBA return

Updated: April 17, 2013, 3:09 PM ET

By Ramona Shelburne and Marc Stein | ESPN.com

After nearly two seasons in retirement, Phil Jackson has become increasingly interested in working in the NBA next season, according to sources familiar with his thinking.

That doesn't necessarily mean a return to coaching, as Jackson is known to be intrigued by the concept of moving into management for the first time in his career.

But sources told ESPN.com this week that Jackson is "itching" to go back to work after a long spell to recharge since leaving the Los Angeles Lakers' bench following the 2010-11 season.

Sources stressed that there is no specific opportunity in play yet for Jackson, who resisted coaching overtures from the Brooklyn Nets earlier this season and told longtime confidant Charley Rosen in January in a SheridanHoops.com story that he "has no intention of ever coaching again."

But NBA coaching sources say that stance will not dissuade teams with openings from approaching Jackson this offseason to gauge his interest, with the Nets and Cleveland Cavaliers -- who interviewed Jackson in 2005 and are known to be contemplating a coaching change -- potentially at the top of the list.

What has Jackson really intrigued, sources say, is the opportunity to oversee an organization in the patriarchal style of Pat Riley with the Miami Heat or in a role similar to that previously held by Larry Bird with the Indiana Pacers.

But it remains to be seen if a team will give him that sort of chance, given that the 67-year-old Jackson is the most successful coach in league history with 11 championship rings and has never held a prominent NBA personnel job.

There's always the chance, sources said, that Jackson will simply stay retired if none of the opportunities that arise prove to be the right fit.

But the presumption in league coaching circles is that teams with openings this offseason will naturally reach out to the most decorated coach available to see if there's any hope of persuading him to coach again, especially since it appears that the Lakers don't have a suitable role to offer Jackson at this time.

Although Jackson did speak with Lakers management about replacing Mike Brown in November before the club hired Mike D'Antoni instead, sources maintain that a return to Los Angeles is highly unlikely.

The Lakers' intent, sources insist, is bringing D'Antoni back next season to give him the chance to coach the team with a full training camp and a healthy roster. Pau Gasol and Steve Nash both missed more than 30 games this season, and Kobe Bryant suffered a season-ending Achilles tear this past weekend.

There would also appear to be little room for Jackson in the Lakers' front office, with vice president Jim Buss and longtime general manager Mitch Kupchak running the team.

Finances are another factor, since the Lakers would be paying top dollar for three coaches at once if they decided to replace D'Antoni after one season and turned to Jackson.

Jackson's engagement to Lakers executive vice president Jeanie Buss, sources say, is not believed to be a factor in determining Jackson's next stop.

While there is no known opportunity for Jackson to consider at present, that situation could change quickly with the end of the season looming for non-playoff teams, which will re-launch the league's annual coaching carousel.

Sources say that Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert, who already made that previous run at Jackson early in his Cavs tenure, is giving strong consideration to firing coach Byron Scott.

As for the Nets, ESPN.com reported in December that Jackson was the undisputed top target for owner Mikhail Prokhorov after the dismissal of Avery Johnson. The prospect of interim coach P.J. Carlesimo retaining the job has not been ruled out depending on how Brooklyn fares in the playoffs, according to sources. But coaching insiders continue to say that Prokhorov's well-known desire to make a splashy hire will keep Jackson and ESPN analyst Jeff Van Gundy at the forefront of his thinking.

Jackson also has been mentioned as a potential candidate to be involved with the new ownership group in Seattle in a front-office capacity that would include mentoring Brian Shaw to be the team's new head coach, provided that Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer successfully complete the purchase of the Sacramento Kings.

The job security of Los Angeles Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro has likewise been questioned all season, with Del Negro in the final year of his contract.

But ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reported in February that Clippers owner Donald Sterling has no interest in pursuing Jackson -- no matter how much that would theoretically bother the rival Lakers and their fans -- because Sterling has never gotten over verbal jabs Jackson threw at him while with the Lakers.

After a lengthy period out of the spotlight, Jackson has been increasingly visible in recent weeks, appearing at both Shaquille O'Neal's jersey retirement and a ceremony to honor the New York Knicks' 1972-73 championship team earlier this month.

Jackson also recently joined Twitter (@philjackson11) and will soon be releasing a new book, "11 Rings," with author Hugh Delahanty next month.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:42 am

^^ Noobiew, did you not check out all the stuff above with Mitch singing Mike D' Antoni's praises? Phil may be itching to coach, but the Lakers aren't revisiting that one, very sad to say. We're stuck with the guy who doesn't win it all. :disagree:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:48 am

Lakerjones wrote:^^ Noobiew, did you not check out all the stuff above with Mitch singing Mike D' Antoni's praises? Phil may be itching to coach, but the Lakers aren't revisiting that one, very sad to say. We're stuck with the guy who doesn't win it all. :disagree:

Ill just take comfort in the fact that they were complimentary of Brown right up until they canned him. Hopefully Dwight "hints" he doesn't want him as a coach and we can get someone else.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Weezy on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:50 am

Rock, Pau helped win us 2 titles so he has my eternal gratitude, and he's playing great, and I STILL want him traded to fill needs. 'Antoni never won us anything or won any other team anything, so I see no reason to change my tune. We didn't start winning until 'Antoni gave up control and let Kobe and the players start running things, like Kobe at PG, and using Pau in the post. I've said it a million times today, and I'll say it again, I give him credit for getting out of his own way, and I'll just be glad when he's gone and we hire a real coach.

You ever hear our players talk about 'Antoni in interviews? Like "coach said this, coach did this, coach has done a great job ___"? I don't. I don't see respect from his players at all, he doesn't seem like a leader he seems like a buddy buddy type of guy, and I don't think he has what it takes to motivate a team to a title, or that he knows what it takes. What sucks to me most of all though is I now have to keep arguing this stuff for another full season, ugh.

As for Phil, Jim isn't bringing the man back, he's not admitting he was wrong and crawling back to Phil. Ego and personal issues come before the best interest of the team in this case sadly.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby noobiew on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:51 am

Lakerjones wrote:^^ Noobiew, did you not check out all the stuff above with Mitch singing Mike D' Antoni's praises? Phil may be itching to coach, but the Lakers aren't revisiting that one, very sad to say. We're stuck with the guy who doesn't win it all. :disagree:

Oh NO please ! you just don't pass out a better candidate like Phil for MDA :man6:

Hopefully Dwight could help us by sending a text message to Jim : "Dear Jim, fire Mike D'Antoni before I sign the new contract."
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby borri on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:26 am

Effin' great............. :bang: :mad1:
borri

Postby TaniBoyz on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:55 am

even if we win the 'ship or go undefeated in the playoffs, I still want this ***** gone :mad1:
:bang:
TaniBoyz

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:23 am

Never mind the fact that he was brought in because his style was supposedly the best fit but ironically he's most effective when he just gets out of the way and does nothing and lets the players work it out. Makes perfect sense that he only cares about whats happening on one end of the court. Totally fine that he seems more than willing to run stars into the ground because he cant think big picture.

He didnt get a full training camp. And he didn't have a complete championship worthy roster so its unfair to judge him. He kept the ship afloat and did about as well as could be expected given the circumstances right?

This all sounds oddly familiar. So weird. :man11:

Tobias Funke

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:47 am

Disappointing, but not surprising, considering the Jim Buss mentality at work.

We're never going to win a title with a coach who is clueless about defense.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby abeer3 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:08 am

^ nailed it. disappointing and not surprising. hopefully howard is ok with it.
abeer3

Postby karacha on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:57 am

Totally expected it.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion