Mitch confirms Mike D'Antoni will return as coach (Pg. 4)

Mitch confirms Mike D'Antoni will return as coach (Pg. 4)

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:36 am

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... ources-say

After nearly two seasons in retirement, Phil Jackson has become increasingly interested in working in the NBA next season, according to sources familiar with his thinking.

That doesn't necessarily mean a return to coaching, as Jackson is known to be intrigued by the concept of moving into management for the first time in his career.

But sources told ESPN.com this week that Jackson is "itching" to go back to work after a long spell to recharge since leaving the Los Angeles Lakers' bench following the 2010-11 season.

Sources stressed that there is no specific opportunity in play yet for Jackson, who resisted coaching overtures from the Brooklyn Nets earlier this season and told longtime confidant Charley Rosen in January in a SheridanHoops.com story that he "has no intention of ever coaching again

But NBA coaching sources say that stance will not dissuade teams with openings from approaching

Jackson this offseason to gauge his interest, with the Nets and Cleveland Cavaliers -- who interviewed Jackson in 2005 and are known to be contemplating a coaching change -- potentially at the top of the list.

What has Jackson really intrigued, sources say, is the opportunity to oversee an organization in the patriarchal style of Pat Riley with the Miami Heat or in a role similar to that previously held by Larry Bird with the Indiana Pacers.

But it remains to be seen if a team will give him that sort of chance, given that the 67-year-old Jackson is the most successful coach in league history with 11 championship rings and has never held a prominent NBA personnel job.

There's always the chance, sources said, that Jackson will simply stay retired if none of the opportunities that arise proves to be the right fit.

But the presumption in league coaching circles is that teams with openings this offseason will naturally reach out to the most decorated coach available to see if there's any hope of persuading him to coach again, especially since it appears that the Lakers don't have a suitable role to offer Jackson at this time.

Although Jackson did speak with Lakers management about replacing Mike Brown in November before the club hired Mike D'Antoni instead, sources maintain that a return to Los Angeles is highly unlikely.

The Lakers' intent, sources insist, is bringing D'Antoni back next season to give him the chance to coach the team with a full training camp and a healthy roster. Pau Gasol and Steve Nash both missed more than 30 games this season, and Kobe Bryant suffered a season-ending Achilles' tear this past weekend.

There would also appear to be little room for Jackson in the Lakers' front office, with vice president Jim Buss and longtime general manager Mitch Kupchak running the team.

Finances are another factor, since the Lakers would be paying top dollar for three coaches at once if they decided to replace D'Antoni after one season and turned to Jackson.

Jackson's engagement to Lakers executive vice president Jeanie Buss, sources say, is not believed to be a factor in determining Jackson's next stop.
Last edited by The Rock on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: MDA returning next year as Lakers coach?

Postby Weezy on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:39 am

Oh god the "full training camp and healthy roster" excuse, give me a break. Training camp was the excuse for Mike Brown and look how that worked out. Also, no team avoids injuries, so that's just dumb to expect. I don't even care if Phil doesn't come back there are still better coaches available.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:40 am

Not a surprise, it's what they've been saying all along.

As for Jackson... I wonder if there'll ever be talks of conflict of interest if/when he gets a leadership position. Being married to one of the operating managers of an opposing team... Hm...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:41 am

Weezy wrote:Oh god the "full training camp and healthy roster" excuse, give me a break. Training camp was the excuse for Mike Brown and look how that worked out. Also, no team avoids injuries, so that's just dumb to expect. I don't even care if Phil doesn't come back there are still better coaches available.

well I don't think it's dumb to expect LESS injuries at least... I mean c'mon I don't know if there's many teams that have had MORE. Any time I think of how many injuries we've suffered I hurt a little more inside.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:47 am

Jim Buss: fool me once...
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Forward Three on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:47 am

boooo
Forward Three

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:52 am

i wish we could trade for coaches...like trade draft MDA and a draft pick for George Karl or something
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby The Laker Link on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:00 am

In local news, Dwight has come out piblicly now and said "Either me or MDA. I have been trying to talk to Kupchak about this privately for a while now, but with this information coming out, I must do so as well."

Kupchak pleaded no comment but sources close to the situation say "Mitch isn't that stupid and will get Phil Jackson in as coach by tomorrow, since that means Dwight will then stay with the Lakers long term since they should almost immediately win a championship next year, and then after that....they will see what happens."
The Laker Link

Postby XXIV on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:01 am

I could see why they'd want to give him a full off season to prepare, but I don't see it making much of a difference.
XXIV

Postby Weezy on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:04 am

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:Oh god the "full training camp and healthy roster" excuse, give me a break. Training camp was the excuse for Mike Brown and look how that worked out. Also, no team avoids injuries, so that's just dumb to expect. I don't even care if Phil doesn't come back there are still better coaches available.

well I don't think it's dumb to expect LESS injuries at least... I mean c'mon I don't know if there's many teams that have had MORE. Any time I think of how many injuries we've suffered I hurt a little more inside.

No, but the quote was "a healthy roster". We're not going to have a healthy roster, right off the bat Kobe is out, you know Nash is gonna miss games again if he's here, we are not going to have a healthy roster, mostly because we're old, but mostly because almost no teams ever keep a healthy roster.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:09 am

The Laker Link wrote:In local news, Dwight has come out piblicly now and said "Either me or MDA. I have been trying to talk to Kupchak about this privately for a while now, but with this information coming out, I must do so as well."

Kupchak pleaded no comment but sources close to the situation say "Mitch isn't that stupid and will get Phil Jackson in as coach by tomorrow, since that means Dwight will then stay with the Lakers long term since they should almost immediately win a championship next year, and then after that....they will see what happens."

oh how i wish Dwight would pull a power play like that
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:09 am

Weezy wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

No, but the quote was "a healthy roster". We're not going to have a healthy roster, right off the bat Kobe is out, you know Nash is gonna miss games again if he's here, we are not going to have a healthy roster, mostly because we're old, but mostly because almost no teams ever keep a healthy roster.

Well I mean, what else do you say? :man10: You have to expect at the start of summer you'll have a healthier roster than you have now... And no matter what coach you have will have to deal with the Kobe thing...

At least we'll have (fingers crossed) a healthier Dwight, a healthy Hill, a somewhat reasonably healthy Nash and Gasol if they're around, and a healthier Artest.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Laker Link on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:13 am

How many old guys did we have come and go during the 3-peat? Mitch Richmond, Ron Harper, Horry wasn't young, or Fox. A.C. Green and Glen Rice. Brian Shaw. Horace Grant. Greg Foster. Isaiah Rider. Lindsey Hunter. And Phil Jackson was the coach. Shaq was old but dominate and still in prime form around then too......gotta say that PHIL has the best track record with talent and old players and getting the best out of them and everything.

If MDA proves he can do things right during the playoffs, then I will change my mind and consider giving him a chance, but I just feel like Dwight won't want that because of Kobe's age and a bunch of other things, so it seems like the best thing to do is give what we all know works, the chance he deserves, so then EVERYTHING WE WANT TO HAPPEN WILL HAPPEN (i.e. Dwight's first ring, Nash's first ring, Kobe's 6th and tying ring) and then everyone goes off into the sunset and then you look to "rebuild" with Dwight owning the team and bringing in whoever you want in the 2014 summer and we go from there. Del Negro might be out of a job by then, he can help. Maybe Byron Scott can have his chance or someone can smooth things over with Shaw and he can come back or something and life is great.

This is all basic logic here people.
The Laker Link

Postby DarthRekal on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:17 am

i know its wrong and im kidding but man i wish MDA blew his achilles not Kobe :man5:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby Weezy on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:17 am

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Well I mean, what else do you say? :man10: You have to expect at the start of summer you'll have a healthier roster than you have now... And no matter what coach you have will have to deal with the Kobe thing...

At least we'll have (fingers crossed) a healthier Dwight, a healthy Hill, a somewhat reasonably healthy Nash and Gasol if they're around, and a healthier Artest.

I'm just tired of excuses for bad coaches when we all already know the end result, bounced from the playoffs this season if we make it, bounced next season unless we make significant changes, coach fired. They keep him they're just putting off the inevitable for a season. Theses are the same excuses Mike Brown got and we will see the same results, a bad coach is a bad coach.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby DarthRekal on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:18 am

Weezy wrote:a bad coach is a bad coach.

Ne'er a truer word be said ....

:bow:

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby therealdeal on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:19 am

I don't know man. I'm as sick of the crap too, but the team showed me it can be successful under this guy. Even if it means he's just a figurehead basically our team was incredibly successful to end the season and push for the playoffs.

If we could capture what we had to finish this season and put it to work all of next season, we can be successful with him just basically calling timeouts and drawing up the occasional play.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby DarthRekal on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:20 am

therealdeal wrote:I don't know man. I'm as sick of the crap too, but the team showed me it can be successful IN SPITE OF this guy. E

fixed .. love ya real :man1:

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby TIME on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:30 am

therealdeal wrote:I don't know man. I'm as sick of the crap too, but the team showed me it can be successful under this guy. Even if it means he's just a figurehead basically our team was incredibly successful to end the season and push for the playoffs.

If we could capture what we had to finish this season and put it to work all of next season, we can be successful with him just basically calling timeouts and drawing up the occasional play.

All MDA has shown so far here in his best moments is what he showed in Phoenix. He is capable of regular season success.

I'm not thrilled that the FO is bringing him back, but not shocked either.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:39 am

therealdeal wrote:I don't know man. I'm as sick of the crap too, but the team showed me it can be successful under this guy. Even if it means he's just a figurehead basically our team was incredibly successful to end the season and push for the playoffs.

Successful with the Lakers means championship, the bar hasn't been lowered because of a bad season with injuries and a new owner taking over. I know that was never going to happen because of holes in the roster and injuries, but I would not call this season successful for one reason still, we didn't beat anyone worthwhile. Almost every time we had a big game against a great team we got beat or destroyed. The only top teams we managed to beat we're OKC once, Knicks, Spurs once, Memphis once, Indiana once... uh did we beat Denver once? Aside from that Denver destroyed us, Clippers owned us, Heat got us both times. We managed to do ok against the bottom or 2nd tier playoff teams, Nets, Celtics, Hawks, Bulls, Warriors, Rockets, but that's not impressive to me.

So yes we have finished strong, but we've pretty much only beaten bad teams we should have, or teams on our own level except for a coupe games. If we faced the Clippers, Thunder, Nuggets, Heat and teams like that to end our schedule more it would have looked a lot different, plus we had a ton of home games luckily. So I cannot consider the end to our season a true success, it's just a lot of regular season games we should have won all along against bad to ok teams, a few good. I know wins are wins when you're trying to make the playoffs, but you measure how good you really are against the top teams, and we failed that test almost every time.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:47 am

We beat Denver once, 2nd time we went up there Dwight got ejected in the 3rd Q with brutal officiating (not to mention it was a 2nd of a back to back, 3rd game they got us in Staples no complaints. 4th game, it was a 2nd game of a back to back. Do you realize how hard it is to win up there?

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:53 am

I don't make ref excuses for this team. You get destroyed by Denver twice, they own you. I was wrong about the Rockets too, we did "ok" in that we hung in in those games, but we're still 1-2 against them.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:58 am

Weezy wrote:I don't make ref excuses for this team. You get destroyed by Denver twice, they own you. I was wrong about the Rockets too, we did "ok" in that we hung in in those games, but we're still 1-2 against them.

what are you talking about? Its pretty clear you just dont like MDA. Hell even OKC and LAC have trouble winning games in DEN, its brutal, especially on 2nd game of a back to backs while being shorthanded

1st game we beat the Rockets
2nd game no Pau or Nash we had the lead with 3 minutes to go, Dwight blew it with the intentional fouling/free throws
3rd game we went there with no Pau or Dwight

Come on. SMDH

Did we expect injuries here and there? But no way in hell Mitch or anybody thought Pau would only play 49 games, Nash would play only 44 and miss their backups (Hill and Blake) for half the seasons too

Check this

https://twitter.com/Dave_Shore/status/324594495469518849

Another Elias stat- last team to not make playoffs with at least 44 wins was 08-09 Suns. Only 5 teams since 83-84 have not made it with 44.

To go from 17-25 to 44-37 and a chance at finishing with the 7th seed in the West is an INCREDIBLE turnaround. Our record would be good enough for 5th in the East, just think about it

MDA isn't perfect but at the same time he wasn't given a fair hand either. Is he Phil Jackson? Nope. But is the best option moving forward. I'd have to say so.
Last edited by The Rock on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby gcclaker on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:59 am

...fast forward to period from October to first week of November 2013. Squad is 0-8 during exhibitions then 1-4 to start the regular season. Unrest, hostility and panic sets in. D'Antoni is canned. Bickestaff takes over again as interim coach. Team responds to a 6-4 record. Jackson receives overtures but shockingly turns it down at midnight to accept a front office job as Director of Basketball Operations working with Kupchak and a muzzled Jim Buss. Brian Shaw fresh ater one year stint with Indiana buys out his contract and takes over.

...then I woke up in a puddle of sweat.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby bnr034 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:59 am

Kobe has been doing more coaching than MDA since he went down....
bnr034

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion