Mitch: Jerry Buss' Failing Health Made The Lakers Impatient

Re: Mitch: Jerry Buss' Failing Health Made The Lakers Impatient

Postby Murdock on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:18 am

The Rock wrote:MWP + Big 4 have played 173 mins together all year.. MWP + Nash + Kobe your 3 perimeter guys are older and slower than ever before, especially on D. Kobe isnt much better than he was in 2011, hes still better than 95% of the league just like he was then. As Dwight acknowledged we lost a whole bunch of games because he had to leave because of injury or free throw issues from lack of conditioning so if he were 100% we'd be looking at the middle of the playoff pack

Phil couldn't have prevented the injuries which is the number 1 reason why we are where we are right now...MDA has made adequate adjustments with the roster provided to him, not to mention jumpstarted Steve Blake's Laker career, Clark and Hill have had career years under him as well

Try again

I agree .. Mike made sence and Phil wouldn't have been much better IMO ... the way Dwight behaves Phil would destroy him mentally ... he doesn't sugarcoat it ... dwight would be even more a of wreck than he is now

Vasashi17 wrote:Again everybody is entitled to an opinion...I just have a hard time finding any type of credibility to an argument that favors D'Antoni over Phil under any coaching capacity.

That being said, since you want to stick to this 173 number so badly, ask yourself, just how much that number is also influenced by D'Antoni's unwillingness to play a big frontline. He loves small ball and doesn't believe that a frontcourt of Dwight and Pau would work.....meanwhile, you know who would find a way to play that lineup effectively?

Anyways, moving on...

As of right now small ball is the future of NBA ... look at us in 2011 we were slow as hell .... in today's game you need athletic bigs ... not Gasol and Dwight
Murdock

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:02 am

Murdock wrote:As of right now small ball is the future of NBA ... look at us in 2011 we were slow as hell .... in today's game you need athletic bigs ... not Gasol and Dwight

:man3:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:25 am

therealdeal wrote:
Murdock wrote:As of right now small ball is the future of NBA ... look at us in 2011 we were slow as hell .... in today's game you need athletic bigs ... not Gasol and Dwight

No, seriously, we need to get rid of unathletic Dwight and get someone like the bigs on the teams with the best NBA records this year like the Heat, Spurs, and Thunder.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:30 am

TIME wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

No, seriously, we need to get rid of unathletic Dwight and get someone like the bigs on the teams with the best NBA records this year like the Heat, Spurs, and Thunder.

:man10:

Yeah I think he's confusing good teams with exciting teams. Exciting teams have athletic bigs like the Knicks, the Clippers, the Nuggets...

Good teams have atheletic wings like Kawhi Leonard, LeBron James, and Kevin Durant.

Also... Dwight Howard is athletic as ****.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:33 am

John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
I have to say I do not understand any posters ripping on coaches for being old. That's one of the most inane criticisms of a coach I've ever heard. It has nothing to do with coaching ability. In fact, coaching is the one area in basketball where the wisdom of a maturing person actually comes in handy. It's not like Phil or any other head coach would be asked to go out and play on the court. What's required is basketball knowledge, wisdom accrued through experience and understanding.

So you'd say John Wooden was too old? He won several NCAA championships in his sixties. And I wouldn't say his abilities or understanding diminished a whole lot over his next couple/few decades either, even if he finally hung it up.

Hubie Brown won coach of the year when he was 70 years old.

Larry Brown is older than Phil by about 4 or 5 years. He's still a good coach and someone I wouldn't mind having here if he weren't such a wanderer.

Jerry Sloan - great coach. I'd love to have him. It's not like MDA is some spring chicken. He's been gimpy since he arrived and he's in his 60's too.

I just don't get the ageism thing. Not when it comes to coaches. That's the one area where age is helpful because of your basketball knowledge. You want a young coach? Mike Brown was young - I believe he was only 40. Let's go back to him.

Its one thing to be an NBA coach its another thing to be the Coach of the Los Angeles Lakers, its consuming, its taxing. The moment he hesitated I was sure we dont need him. Phil is human, father time has gotten to him.

And let's not forget that Bernie Bickerstaff inherited the same injured roster that MDA had. And he did a much better job with that group. And Bernie's pretty damn old too!!

That was a fluke. It was a honeymoon period for our team where we had a home heavy schedule and we were just set free from Mike Brown's stupidiity

At the end of the day we know Phil wants to run the triangle, can you teach that to a group like this that has so many new players and the main core players who know it are declining and aging fast (MWP and Pau). I dont believe so. It would've been Mike Brown-ish all over again trying to teach guys a structured offense and telling them to where to be at and what not with no training camp.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:24 pm

^ Wow. :freak2:

I don't even like MDA and would've had Phil in a heartbeat, but you are seriously underestimating what it takes to coach an NBA team.
Chillbongo

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion