Mitch Kupchak Discussion: Mike Trudell interview (Page 27)

Re: Mitch Kupchak Discussion: Best GM of All-Time?

Postby thkthebest on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:55 am

KB24 wrote:Mitch Kupchak sucks because of

turning this

into this

:man10:
My signature
thkthebest

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:44 am

Phil XI wrote:So the past 9 months for Mitch parsed out to:

Turned these 5 in December: Odom, Luke, Fisher, Bynum, McRoberts

Into these 5 by August:

Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, Jordan Hill, Chris Duhon, Earl Clark

And added Antawn Jamison and Jodie Meeks via free agency FOR THE MINIMUM!

Possibly the GOAT GM 9 month run ever? If the rings come then yes!

I agree with your point.. But I'd love to have Fish & McRoberts over Duhon & Clark.. Watching Blake in the playoffs blowing so many shots he never should have been taking really made me miss Fish.. We made the right move trading him but I wish both sides were open to a return for the minimum. Dump Blake & Duhon & save a ton of money while not losing anything.

/OT rant

Mitch deserves a statue & an exception or something named after him.. When we were hearing rumors of him possibly leaving was the 1st time since we got Pau that I was concerned about the future of the franchise.
lakersin4

Postby Phil XI on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:53 am

So you're saying you'd decline the Dwight for Bynum trade because you'd rather have McRoberts than Duhon/Clark? It's filler for a reason. I understand the point but ifyou're robbing Orlando and they ask you to flop those guys, you have to say ok.
I even said in an earlier post, too bad they didn't just do Glock's n-g plus Morris for Duhon alone and leav Clark/McB out, since Duhon was an obvious dump add-in.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:05 am

Where does this talk about Blake missing a ton of shots in the playoffs come from? Because he missed one big shot? He shot 41.9% from deep in the playoffs. Give the man credit.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:12 am

therealdeal wrote:Where does this talk about Blake missing a ton of shots in the playoffs come from? Because he missed one big shot? He shot 41.9% from deep in the playoffs. Give the man credit.

Denver series on the road... Game 4. Blake just does not cast off shots just for the sake of it. That Game 2 in the OKC series miss stands out but he had a good look.

If Kupchak wasn't such a good GM then he would not have been linked to other vacant positions such as the one in Portland and if I am correct Orlando as well. He's done the best he could while hamstrung with cap restrictions and other organizations lowballing him. Kupchak has maintained a quiet, dignified attitude through all of it. Sure he could have done better with the late picks available but hindsight is always 20/20.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:50 am

DJ-RaZ-Q#24 wrote:Mark Stein, ESPN:
Marc Stein, ESPN.com: A+. My question for you: How many pluses can I add? My other question for you: How soon do they erect a statue at Staples Center for Mitch Kupchak? Following Jerry West had to be one of the toughest gigs in the history of GMing. One of his first assignments was, at his owner's behest, to trade Shaquille O'Neal. All Kupchak has done since is draft Andrew Bynum with a rare Lakers lottery pick all the way down at No. 10 (with a strong nudge from Jim Buss, to be fair), trade for Pau Gasol ... and then acquire Dwight Howard and Steve Nash in the same summer without surrendering Pau. No wonder so many fan bases around the NBA detest the Lakers. Even for them and their rich history of pilfering stars from other teams, this is a ridiculous haul.

Stein right on point there :jam2:

He's not really. He's leaving out a lot of inconvenient details about Mitch's early tenure.

1. West left after 2000, so Mitch was here as GM for three years prior to having to trade Shaq.
2. In that 3 year period, his moves, particularly in the draft were questionable at best. Before Shaq left he drafted: Kareem Rush, Luke, Cook and Sasha, while passing up names like Prince and Barbosa. His biggest coup was getting Payton and Malone on board....a quick fix to a big talent deprecation problem with the older role players the Lakers had.
3. Drew wasn't really Mitch's call, it was Ronnie Lester and Jim Buss.
kray28

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:00 pm

gcclaker wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Where does this talk about Blake missing a ton of shots in the playoffs come from? Because he missed one big shot? He shot 41.9% from deep in the playoffs. Give the man credit.

Denver series on the road... Game 4. Blake just does not cast off shots just for the sake of it. That Game 2 in the OKC series miss stands out but he had a good look.

Yeah I don't know how anyone could say that he had no business taking that shot. That was a great look and a good shot, it just didn't drop. They don't always happen. Fish and Kobe have missed a ton of those shots and they're clutch as can be.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:03 pm

Phil XI wrote:So you're saying you'd decline the Dwight for Bynum trade because you'd rather have McRoberts than Duhon/Clark? It's filler for a reason. I understand the point but ifyou're robbing Orlando and they ask you to flop those guys, you have to say ok.
I even said in an earlier post, too bad they didn't just do Glock's n-g plus Morris for Duhon alone and leav Clark/McB out, since Duhon was an obvious dump add-in.

No not at all.. Downgrading a couple role players is a small price to pay for D12.

@therealdeal.. That shot against Denver really stood out but there were several shots he either hesitated on, passed wide open looks, or just outright bricked.. A lot of the same shots we were accustomed to seeing Fish knock down.. I know he was an inefficient chucker but he's came up big so many times for us when it mattered.. Maybe it's just the nostalgia talking.
lakersin4

Postby 24K GOLD on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:13 pm

I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby worldjunction on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:07 pm

kray

He's not really. He's leaving out a lot of inconvenient details about Mitch's early tenure.

1. West left after 2000, so Mitch was here as GM for three years prior to having to trade Shaq.
2. In that 3 year period, his moves, particularly in the draft were questionable at best. Before Shaq left he drafted: Kareem Rush, Luke, Cook and Sasha, while passing up names like Prince and Barbosa. His biggest coup was getting Payton and Malone on board....a quick fix to a big talent deprecation problem with the older role players the Lakers had.

Really Kray?

I didn't read the rest of you posts in this thread... so at the risk of misunderstanding where you are at in regards to Mitch being a bada***.

a) your best argument is that be passed on Prince and Barbosa??? If you track Mitch's track record of picks in the late 1st and 2nd rounds, he has a GREAT trarck record. His picks on average stay in the leage MUCH longer than average picks at those late draft positions. Taking that into a account, he has a fantastic draft track record. Also, many GMs passed on the Prince's, the Barbosa's, etc.
b) were you in the draft room when they were evaluating Bynum? They have said it time after time that they collaberate. For all you know, Mitch could have been supportive of the Bynum pick all along. Moreover, Ronnie Lester is a scout.... he was just doing his job which is informing his GM that he thinks so and so is a good pick.

If anyone doesnt think MItch is an AMAZING GM by now, then they are missing some brain cells.
worldjunction

Postby KB24 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:57 am

He needs to take his vacation now

It also fulfills the Lakers' win-first, ask-questions-later mind-set. It also explains why Kupchak hardly felt like gloating after the deal, and even delayed going on vacation with his family for the right time.

"There's really no time for that right now" Kupchak said.

Instead, Kupchak and the front office are devoting their time to ensuring more winning, and the dealing with the costs and risks that go with that goal.

"One thing the organization is not afraid to do is take a risk or take a gamble and its our responsibility to put a great product on the floor year in and year out" Kupchak said. "Certainly being in Los Angeles, we're afforded the ability to take more gambles than a lot of other cities. We have a great city to sell, great reputation and great heritage. We're fortunate to have ownership that's not afraid to roll the dice."

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:08 am

Not yet... I think he can wait a week or two to make sure the free agent pool is dried up completely.

Then he can smoke Hennigan's cigars while he hangs out at Dinseyworld in Orlando.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:27 am

kray28 wrote:
DJ-RaZ-Q#24 wrote:Mark Stein, ESPN:
Marc Stein, ESPN.com: A+. My question for you: How many pluses can I add? My other question for you: How soon do they erect a statue at Staples Center for Mitch Kupchak? Following Jerry West had to be one of the toughest gigs in the history of GMing. One of his first assignments was, at his owner's behest, to trade Shaquille O'Neal. All Kupchak has done since is draft Andrew Bynum with a rare Lakers lottery pick all the way down at No. 10 (with a strong nudge from Jim Buss, to be fair), trade for Pau Gasol ... and then acquire Dwight Howard and Steve Nash in the same summer without surrendering Pau. No wonder so many fan bases around the NBA detest the Lakers. Even for them and their rich history of pilfering stars from other teams, this is a ridiculous haul.

Stein right on point there :jam2:

I seem to recall your boy shot a few airballs as a rookie...

My point? Some get better over time. Like Kobe and Mitch. Some don't.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby davriver290 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:29 pm

Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby Bilbao-LakerMagic on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:55 pm

Great job!! Even after the Chris Paul's issue...

I assume that on last year "Plan A" was: Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard (and Beasley?).

And fot his Season we have: Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard (maybe even stronger in the short-term) plus Jamison, Meeks, waiting for MWP's attitude, etc. It will be an exciting Season...

It's Showtime again!! It's winning time again!!

I still remember suggestions in this Forum like Hinrich + Deng for Kobe and Jermaine O'Neal for Bynum... so... imagine!!!!!!

Great job!! Even waiting for the right moment and without making too much noise.

Go Lakers !!
Bilbao-LakerMagic

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:04 am

Might as well troll Mitch :man10: remember the ill fated 2007 plan? read it here again

http://www.hoopsworld.com/lakers-long-live-the-2007-plan/
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby GoldenKnight on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:44 pm

JUST MADE THIS FOR THE FUN OF IT :man1:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:03 pm

Bilbao-LakerMagic wrote:Great job!! Even after the Chris Paul's issue...

I assume that on last year "Plan A" was: Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard (and Beasley?).

And fot his Season we have: Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard (maybe even stronger in the short-term) plus Jamison, Meeks, waiting for MWP's attitude, etc. It will be an exciting Season...

It's Showtime again!! It's winning time again!!

I still remember suggestions in this Forum like Hinrich + Deng for Kobe and Jermaine O'Neal for Bynum... so... imagine!!!!!!

Great job!! Even waiting for the right moment and without making too much noise.

Go Lakers !!

I think Beasley gets back near his 22/6 ways this season.. Mitch is on fire.. He wouldn't have been chasing Beas if he wasn't a special player.
lakersin4

Postby DHL on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:45 pm

Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:51 pm

Great sacrifice Mitch lol ....Too bad the Lakers can't stop Ralph Sampson's hail mary :disagree:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Psychobroker on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:57 pm

Chick: "Kupchack is good.... but he's not an Olajuwon" :man10:
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:36 am

:man10: outta boy Mitch
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Finwë on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Lakerholicz ‏@Lakerholicz
New movie idea...based on film with Will Smith where he helps you get girls, "Hitch" - this movie is the same concept, just called, "Mitch".

Lakerholicz ‏@Lakerholicz
Mitch: "So, just walk up to the girl, get her number and I'll do the rest. I can work the phones and talk anybody into anything."
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby kenshi1023 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:15 pm

Mitch knew too well about KNEE INJURY! Maybe that is why he never put much hope in Bynum since the first knee incident. :)
lakers turned mr.potatohead into pringles!
kenshi1023

Postby OX1947 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:46 pm

kenshi1023 wrote:Mitch knew too well about KNEE INJURY! Maybe that is why he never put much hope in Bynum since the first knee incident. :)

Kobe's pops took him out. Funny circle, hahah
OX1947

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion