Mitch Sees LA Standing Pat As Kobe and Co. Mount Another Run

Mitch Sees LA Standing Pat As Kobe and Co. Mount Another Run

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:57 pm

No matter how many times Mitch Kupchak sees it, he still gets mesmerized by the dazzling play of Kobe Bryant.

"That shot at the end of the fourth quarter, when he went into the lane and made contact, somebody went to the ground, he had two guys on him," the Lakers general manager told SI.com after his team downed Phoenix on Friday night. "He couldn't get a right-handed shot off, so he shot it left-handed."

And made it, of course.

With the 18-12 Lakers placed fifth in the Western Conference through Saturday and having won seven of their last 10 games, there is an internal belief that Bryant's theatrics coupled with the current cast of characters might be enough to make a deep playoff run even if no roster moves are made. It's a good thing, too, as Kupchak certainly didn't sound as if a deal for Orlando's Dwight Howard or anyone else was in the works. Kupchak attended a workout for free agent guard Gilbert Arenas last Sunday, but the Lakers aren't expected to sign him anytime soon -- if at all.

"Of course we'll talk to a lot of teams [about trades], like everybody else does, leading up until the trade deadline to see if there is a way to improve the team," Kupchak said. "But the likelihood is that this is the team that's going to finish into the playoffs. That's just the way it normally works, but we'll see."

The adjustments continue for first-year Lakers coach Mike Brown, who recently had one of his own players -- small forward Metta World Peace --added to his list of critics. Yet Brown has been following through on the defensive promises he made when he was hired to replace Phil Jackson, as his team is currently third in the NBA in opponents field-goal percentage (41.8) and fourth in points per game allowed (90.7).

"It looks like they're getting familiar with the system," Kupchak said. "New coaching style, new coaches, new system, new offense, a different kind of defense. It takes some time, some roster changes.

"Taking into consideration all those factors, I think we're making progress. I think we're getting better every time we play. I would like to see us be a little bit more successful on the road (where they're 5-10). I think we'll get into the playoffs and would like to have some homecourt advantage. But if you don't, you've got to win a game on the road and we haven't demonstrated we can win on the road yet."

It's the offense that has been so problematic. If shots attempted are any indication of a team's dependence on one particular player (and they are), the Lakers have never relied on Bryant's scoring like they are now. The 33-year-old is averaging a career-high 23.9 shots per game while seeing a spike in minutes per game (33.9 last season to 38.2 in 2011-12) and leading the league in scoring at 28.9 points per game. "I'm not too worried about Kobe," Kupchak said. "When he's out of the game, he's yelling at the coach to get back in the game. It's a shortened season. We didn't play 82 games. We didn't play eight preseason games. So there's a lot less games. They are closer together, which is a concern. But I'm not worried about Kobe."

Bryant reiterated recently that he's a Laker for life no matter what Kupchak does with the team's personnel. And despite the Lamar Odom-to-Dallas trade in December that drew Bryant's ire, Kupchak said his star player's faith in him remains.

"The good thing is he trusts the organization, and we'll do everything we can do to get better," Kupchak said. "We'll look to do something big, and we'll look to do something small, or maybe we'll do nothing at all. Sometimes a small deal is all a team needs to get over a hump, so I wouldn't categorize something that we're looking to do as big, small or medium."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... index.html
Kobe8Fan

Re: Mitch Sees LA Standing Pat As Kobe and Co. Mount Another Run

Postby kenzo on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:00 pm

If serious... delusional :man5:
kenzo

Postby 100%effort on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:02 pm

I think he has to say this in order to not look desperate in future trade discussions.
Last edited by 100%effort on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
100%effort

Postby Showtime'sDynasty on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:03 pm

I don't know who Mitch thinks he's fooling. Every GM in the league knows we're trying to make a trade. I guess him making these statements lets them know that he's not as "desperate" as people are assuming. Meh, w/e
Showtime'sDynasty

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:07 pm

Standing pat = :bang: , cause its another wasted year of that Kobe guy who he marvels over.

This better be a smoke screen to not show his tell at the poker table that is the NBA as the trade deadline approaches.

He said LA was working on big things after the CP3 deal got nixed and nothing yet...so hopefully this is Mitch's way of learning from raising expectations unnecessarily and just dropping the expectation bar, so that if anything does happen, the fans will accept it, cause its better than nothing.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Alcindor on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:08 pm

Same company line he gives every year for the past several years. "No changes are imminent" I read nothing from it which is his intention. What's he going to say "Someone's on their way out, no doubt about it, we're telling all players not to unpack their things"?
Alcindor

Postby venturalakersfan on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Mitch is speaking the truth, it is doubtful that there will be a trade made. Orlando won't trade Howard, so cross him off the list. And despite the death march here, the team is improving. I don't know if they have enough to win a title, but I would expect them to finish the second half of the season better than they began the first half.
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
venturalakersfan

Postby venturalakersfan on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Standing pat = :bang: , cause its another wasted year of that Kobe guy who he marvels over.

This better be a smoke screen to not show his tell at the poker table that is the NBA as the trade deadline approaches.

He said LA was working on big things after the CP3 deal got nixed and nothing yet...so hopefully this is Mitch's way of learning from raising expectations unnecessarily and just dropping the expectation bar, so that if anything does happen, the fans will accept it, cause its better than nothing.

Lakers future > Kobe's legacy
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
venturalakersfan

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:18 pm

^^^ I agree with you 100% ventura. But if you have a once in a generation player like Kobe, then you have to play for the now.

I like where LA was heading cause they gunned for CP3 and supposedly were going to try and follow it up with Dwight. If not, then they have a young All-star center in Drew, so Kobe has his time now and LA still had a future tandem once Kob fades.

They have to stick to that plan and gun hard to get pieces (like a stud PG) that can prolong Kobe's career. If they divert from that plan, as I said earlier, you're only wasting a once in a generation type talent. Its not a good look and just really bad business to aim for a 2nd round oust with talent like that on the roster.

If they make a move to create more cap room this summer to sign a marquee name, then this season is collateral damage in order to set yourself up for next season. However, if they just stand pat, then its a wasted season for nothing. Either set yourself up for next season or try to make a move to get a ring this season. Standing pat accomplishes none of that.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby 24fanyes on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:20 pm

lets hope but not likely :man2:
24fanyes

Postby 24fanyes on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:21 pm

venturalakersfan wrote:
Vasashi17 wrote:Standing pat = :bang: , cause its another wasted year of that Kobe guy who he marvels over.

If they make a move to create more cap room this summer to sign a marquee name, then this season is collateral damage in order to set yourself up for next season. However, if they just stand pat, then its a wasted season for nothing. Either set yourself up for next season or try to make a move to get a ring this season. Standing pat accomplishes none of that.

Kobe's legacy > Lakers legacy
24fanyes

Postby John3:16 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:22 pm

2 months ago: Making big deals.

Today: Standing pat.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:25 pm

24fanyes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The Lakers owe it to Kobe, who has won 5 rings with this franchise, to win NOW rather than prepare for the future which is much too early to do at this point. So I disagree, right now it is Kobes legacy > Lakers future...the Lakers owe it to him.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby abeer3 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:25 pm

eh, he's just tempering expectations. he basically admitted that they don't look good right now, and that they've been looking at trades. in all likelihood, they'll do something small. won't be enough, but i don't believe for a second that anyone in the front office thinks they'll roll with this group in may.
abeer3

Postby Helljumper on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Honestly, I can see us actually just standing pat. If we win tonight, we're one game back from being third place in the West. While that's not as great as we've come to expect, it's not bad enough to warrant any huge moves.

Fans will be furious if nothing happens, but I'm pretty sure that's what's gonna end up happening.
Helljumper

Postby venturalakersfan on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:31 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:^^^ I agree with you 100% ventura. But if you have a once in a generation player like Kobe, then you have to play for the now.

I like where LA was heading cause they gunned for CP3 and supposedly were going to try and follow it up with Dwight. If not, then they have a young All-star center in Drew, so Kobe has his time now and LA still had a future tandem once Kob fades.

They have to stick to that plan and gun hard to get pieces (like a stud PG) that can prolong Kobe's career. If they divert from that plan, as I said earlier, you're only wasting a once in a generation type talent. Its not a good look and just really bad business to aim for a 2nd round oust with talent like that on the roster.

I agree, and I get your point about Kobe being the type of player that only comes around so often. But I think they are playing for now. I would guess Mitch would love to make a big move to make the team better, and that he is trying. I just don't see anything on the horizon. What we need is a Jeremy Lin to appear on some team with a good vet PG, making that PG expendable. I think they maintain the status quo unless they get a great deal, ala Chris Paul. I am on the "trade part of the TPE and a 1st round pick for Calderon" bandwagon, but if you asked me if that deal would result in a better chance to get to the Finals, I would say slightly. In my opinion slightly is better than average, but maybe not in the way the FO thinks. I am beginning to understand the current CBA a little better, and can see where it really inhibits the ability of the team to put the players around Kobe that we need. I really don't think that ending contracts will even hold the value they did under the former CBA.
Last edited by venturalakersfan on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- David Letterman
venturalakersfan

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:31 pm

24fanyes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

:man10:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby venturalakersfan on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:32 pm

24fanyes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Not for Laker fans.
- David Letterman
venturalakersfan

Postby John3:16 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:33 pm

I love Kobe as much as the next Laker fan, but the name on the front matters MUCH more then the name on the back.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:38 pm

no comment
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Helljumper on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:38 pm

As great as Kobe is, and as much as we all love him, claiming that any individual Laker is more important than the franchise as a whole should be a ban-worthy offense.
Helljumper

Postby PiNOYLaKERSFaN on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:40 pm

venturalakersfan wrote:
Vasashi17 wrote:^^^ I agree with you 100% ventura. But if you have a once in a generation player like Kobe, then you have to play for the now.

I agree, and I get your point about Kobe being the type of player that only comes around so often. But I think they are playing for now. I would guess Mitch would love to make a big move to make the team better, and that he is trying. I just don't see anything on the horizon. What we need is a Jeremy Lin to appear on some team with a good vet PG, making that PG expendable. I think they maintain the status quo unless they get a great deal, ala Chris Paul. I am on the "trade part of the TPE and a 1st round pick for Calderon" bandwagon, but if you asked me if that deal would result in a better chance to get to the Finals, I would say slightly. In my opinion slightly is better than average, but maybe not in the way the FO thinks. I am beginning to understand the current CBA a little better, and can see where it really inhibits the ability of the team to put the players around Kobe that we need. I really don't think that ending contracts will even hold the value they did under the former CBA.

Could you trade part of the TPE? I thought it was use it all or don't use it?

I also think we should use the TPE but I want it for Sessions.
PiNOYLaKERSFaN

Postby brickshooter on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:47 pm

I'm hoping that Mitch has plan B if the DHoward deal dies.

Because this current roster without role player help isn't going to get further than the 1st round.

And it's not going to do much for Lakers legacy either.

Just hoping that Mitch is playing it cool.
brickshooter

Postby kray28 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:17 pm

kenzo wrote:If serious... delusional :man5:

No. This was the expected outcome actually. The Lakers rarely add anyone mid-season. If the Lakers can find any excuse to stand pat, they will.
kray28

Postby kray28 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Good news for Pau though...for now. Hopefully he settles down because I don't think he's getting traded.
kray28

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion