More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:26 pm

http://blog.lakers.com/lakers/2013/07/31/more-efficient-threes-to-come/


Image
During the 2011-12 season, the Lakers didn’t have a single wing player or guard shoot at least 40 percent from three-point range, with a team bombing rate of just 32.6 percent.

The numbers improved for the better under Mike D’Antoni last season, with a mark of 35.5 percent, buoyed by Steve Nash’s 43.8 and Steve Blake’s 42.1 percent success rate.

Jodie Meeks and his quick release converted at 35.7 percent, while Kobe Bryant was shooting far better than the 32.4 he finished with before an extended slump from deep late in the season.

To this mix, the Lakers add Jordan Farmar, Nick Young, Wesley Johnson and Ryan Kelly.

Image

Farmar hit 44 percent of his triples in 39 games with the Nets in 2011-12 before heading overseas; Young matched the 35.7 percent from Meeks at Philly (and is at 37.4 percent on his career) and the Lakers think Johnson’s smooth stroke could render better than the 32.3 percent he converted last season in Phoenix.

Second round pick Ryan Kelly shot 42.2 percent from three at Duke in his senior season, and should provide some floor spacing as a stretch four if he’s able to earn some minutes.

With a full training camp in D’Antoni’s system coming, the acquired shooters joining what L.A. had in place plus to-be-featured big man Pau Gasol’s interior passing, we could see some strong numbers in 2013-14.

Lakers Three-Point Shooters (2012-13 Percentage)
Jordan Farmar: 44.0 (in 2011-12)
Steve Nash: 43.8 (5th in the NBA)
Ryan Kelly: 42.2 (at Duke)
Steve Blake: 42.1 (13th in the NBA)
Nick Young: 35.7
Jodie Meeks: 35.7
Kobe Bryant: 32.4


Just some food for thought
Image
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
User avatar
Battle Tested20

 
Posts: 11555
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (SDSU)

Re: More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:31 pm

If our new SGs and SFs can hit at a respectable clip, the million or so WIDE OPEN 3's Meeks and MWP clanged last year, I'll be thrilled!
Image
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
User avatar
Punk-101

 
Posts: 13248
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Orange, CA

Re: More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby abeer3 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:32 pm

i think the key is finding the right starter at the 4 to complement pau at c. if they go full-on dantoni, that guy needs to be able to hit the three at a respectable clip AND run the floor. nobody on the roster like that right now. seems like earl clark would have been a good fit with the rest of the pieces assembled...
abeer3

 
Posts: 10357
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:15 pm

Re: More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby lotus on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:37 pm

Feels a bit weird going into a new Lakers season and banking its success on whether half the team can shoot 40% from the 3 line. This is a new (hopefully very short) era indeed.
lotus

 
Posts: 1806
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 8:15 am

Re: More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:37 pm

I just hope MDA doesn't ignore the post and just make Pau an "Inside Out" guy. That will just make things worse.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9755
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:45 pm

Punk-101 wrote:If our new SGs and SFs can hit at a respectable clip, the million or so WIDE OPEN 3's Meeks and MWP clanged last year, I'll be thrilled!

And there's no reason they shouldn't. Metta at times was the blackest of holes out there offensively and watching him hoist threes probably took years off my life. Young and Farmar should be (I mean really have to be) better than that.

And Meeks too.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 39978
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:49 pm

Metta World Peace - 412 three pointers last season
Jodie Meeks - 342 three pointers last season

As long as we don't have 754 three's shot by trash this season. Our numbers should improve just on that alone.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19432
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:50 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:If our new SGs and SFs can hit at a respectable clip, the million or so WIDE OPEN 3's Meeks and MWP clanged last year, I'll be thrilled!

And there's no reason they shouldn't. Metta at times was the blackest of holes out there offensively and watching him hoist threes probably took years off my life. Young and Farmar should be (I mean really have to be) better than that.

And Meeks too.


Kelly's gonna shock the world. You heard it here first! :man1:
Image
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
User avatar
Punk-101

 
Posts: 13248
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Orange, CA

Re: More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:03 pm

Punk-101 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:If our new SGs and SFs can hit at a respectable clip, the million or so WIDE OPEN 3's Meeks and MWP clanged last year, I'll be thrilled!

And there's no reason they shouldn't. Metta at times was the blackest of holes out there offensively and watching him hoist threes probably took years off my life. Young and Farmar should be (I mean really have to be) better than that.

And Meeks too.


Kelly's gonna shock the world. You heard it here first! :man1:

We better hope so. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 39978
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:12 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Metta World Peace - 412 three pointers last season
Jodie Meeks - 342 three pointers last season

As long as we don't have 754 three's shot by trash this season. Our numbers should improve just on that alone.
Image
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
User avatar
Battle Tested20

 
Posts: 11555
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (SDSU)

Re: More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby noobiew on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:57 pm

Please don't be surprised to see if Mike D'Antoni to start Ryan Kelly at the PF spot over Jordan Hill based on the 3pts percentage of Kelly (42.2%). Defense and rebound doesn't matter, Ryan Kelly is a perfect stretch 4 that our coach Mike D'Antoni dream of to have, Mike gonna want a stretch 4 in his system badly.

:man1:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
User avatar
noobiew

 
Posts: 5560
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:55 am

Re: More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby dj vitus on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:39 am

noobiew wrote:Please don't be surprised to see if Mike D'Antoni to start Ryan Kelly at the PF spot over Jordan Hill based on the 3pts percentage of Kelly (42.2%). Defense and rebound doesn't matter, Ryan Kelly is a perfect stretch 4 that our coach Mike D'Antoni dream of to have, Mike gonna want a stretch 4 in his system badly.

:man1:

Jordan Hill will be more valuable now than ever before. So many offensive rebounding opportunities! :man10:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
User avatar
dj vitus

 
Posts: 9356
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:59 pm
Location: Walnut, CA by way of Laaaas Vegas!

Re: More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:50 am

Jordan Hill will be a 3 point specialist. Book it!
User avatar
Kobe8Fan

 
Posts: 10215
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:49 am
Location: Covina, CA

Re: More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby dj vitus on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:58 am

Rudy 3 Era. 2.0.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
User avatar
dj vitus

 
Posts: 9356
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:59 pm
Location: Walnut, CA by way of Laaaas Vegas!

Re: More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby Rooscooter on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:02 pm

3's are part of the game that is needed these days.... but basing an offense on a shot that falls at best 35% of the time as a team is pretty dangerous IMHO. Guys that shoot over 50% in the paint are still pretty valuable but I'm afraid MDA doesn't see it that way. The extra point 35% of the time seems to be his philosophy. That has worked to a certain degree in the regular season but when the playoffs come around teams that rely on the 3 usually don't fair so well.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22566
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby Nikez on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:13 pm

Rooscooter wrote:3's are part of the game that is needed these days.... but basing an offense on a shot that falls at best 35% of the time as a team is pretty dangerous IMHO. Guys that shoot over 50% in the paint are still pretty valuable but I'm afraid MDA doesn't see it that way. The extra point 35% of the time seems to be his philosophy. That has worked to a certain degree in the regular season but when the playoffs come around teams that rely on the 3 usually don't fair so well.

I would consider the heat one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the league. They just proved that you have to be deeper than that with some firepower down low and defense and you can go far with that formula.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.


It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
User avatar
Nikez

 
Posts: 1577
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:29 pm

Re: More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby Rooscooter on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:23 pm

Nikez wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:3's are part of the game that is needed these days.... but basing an offense on a shot that falls at best 35% of the time as a team is pretty dangerous IMHO. Guys that shoot over 50% in the paint are still pretty valuable but I'm afraid MDA doesn't see it that way. The extra point 35% of the time seems to be his philosophy. That has worked to a certain degree in the regular season but when the playoffs come around teams that rely on the 3 usually don't fair so well.

I would consider the heat one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the league. They just proved that you have to be deeper than that with some firepower down low and defense and you can go far with that formula.


How do they open up the 3 point shot? Wade and Bron going to the hoop. I see it as an entirely different approach. Playing FOR the 3 and getting the 3 off the action of going to the hoop or post action are different. It's a "pick your poison" approach vs a chuck it and get more possessions approach.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22566
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:26 pm

Hate...hate....hate this type of offense. It ain't going to help our D either.

I'm really happy with the Rambis signing, cause it buffers the bad taste of this offseason. But I just can't wait till we hit the reset button next summer.

No real shot at a title....got another mistake at coach in a waiting pattern for his replacement....waiting on Kobe to get right. Everything is setup for dialing down expectations, which I'm okay with. But what really rubs me the wrong way is that you have a generational player like Kobe on your roster and you can't capitalize with him...instead you murky up his twilight and even further accelerate it by loading up his minutes leading to his inevitable collapse.

Understatement of the year: I'm not looking forward to next season.
Image
User avatar
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 12998
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:38 am
Location: Anywhere Purple & Gold

Re: More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby trodgers on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:35 pm

Yes, what SEEMS to be the Offensive scheme doesn't really mesh with Rambis as a defensive coach.

What can you defend while sprinting backwards after missing a 3?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46274
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: More (Efficient) Threes to Come?

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:17 pm

The only saving grace is that we got younger....and if they're inspired the right way, we might be capable of being decent on defense.

Rambis will certainly look to inspire the youth, but with MDA's respiratorily unforgiving offense, they'll be too busy expiring on the defensive end.
Image
User avatar
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 12998
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:38 am
Location: Anywhere Purple & Gold


Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], lakerfan2, nluna75 and 16 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.