More on the Bucks plans, could effect LA getting GP

More on the Bucks plans, could effect LA getting GP

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:23 am

Interesting.

...One school of thought has the Bucks' ownership intentions tied to the draft. If they move the No. 8 pick and begin dumping salaries, it could be a sign that the sale is on because it could help ease the new owner's plans to rebuild the roster in his image. Although no such directives have apparently come down, that doesn't mean they won't before Thursday...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/jun03/149778.asp
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:57 pm

I have this feeling that if the Bucks are not going to resign Payton, then Gary is definitely going to the Lakers. He wants to be in a contending team and live once again in the West coast. LA is a perfect fit.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby SWOL on Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:03 pm

agree ... he is already guest hosting on the BDSSP in LA looks like a sign to me
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:05 pm

I guess he's getting used to the Hollywood lifestyle.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby SWOL on Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:09 pm

TRUE
SWOL

Postby dmaul on Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:28 pm

Don't get too excited guys.

In an LA Times article printed today, 6/21/03, Gary Payton was quoted as saying he did not see any problems whatsoever playing alongside Kobe and Shaq and doing whatever Phil wanted him to do within the confines of The Triangle. He was quoted as saying that he could see the Lakers being a good fit for him. That's the good news.

Here's the bad news...

GP also said that he would not except 3 or 4 mil. from anybody, that he still considered himself to be in his prime, even at the age of 34, and that he was way too good to settle for such low pay. He said that the financial aspects of any move would have to be right for him and thus, Milwaukee was still his first choice. A lot of this also depends on what Milwaukee does with the draft. So GP's going to chill and wait it out (his words).

Given this latest piece of news, it now seems highly unlikely that the Lakers will acquire Payton, barring a remarkable sign and trade which I really can't see happening. Why would the Bucks help us? Or rather, who do we have that they could possibly want that would add up to the salary that would keep Payton happy? I can see Derek Fisher possibly being on this wish list and maybe Devean George. But that would be the best case scenario which I don't see happening.

This really sucks because GP was my favorite free agent out there and I think he could have really helped the Lakers.
dmaul

Postby Snakell Beast on Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:27 am

If he comes, then great, if not, we can look elsewhere...Power Forward is our real concern...
Snakell Beast

Postby ZenMaster on Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:05 am

Well, this is unfortunate. I am still trying to remain optimistic on this whole GP thing, but am getting the nagging feeling he may be trying to pull a Kendall Gill on us (saying he's interested, but using us as leverage to bargain with another team). I hope this is not the case. A lot will have to do with what Michael Jordan does once his group takes over the Bucks, how he plans to clean house or whatever. I think Atlanta may be another realistic option, i.e. a trade, if GP doesn't commit to us 100%. Mitch needs to find out a.s.a.p. where exactly GP stands. If he is not committed to us we need to call Atlanta and get Terry/Ratliff. Problem is, GMs cannot negotiate with f.a.'s until July 1; should we wait for GP to make up his mind, or should we just go ahead and pull the trigger on a deal now?...
Last edited by ZenMaster on Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZenMaster

Postby ZenMaster on Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:15 am

Second, PF is still a concern for me too, agreed Snakell, but not as much as it was in the past...like you said Slava has gradually shown progress, plus we may be able to get a decent PF or two in the draft. Re-signing Horry is still up in the air, and if we decide not to wait on GP and do pull a deal with the Hawks, they may want Horry as part of that deal....but we can still use the LLE on a f.a. PF/C anyways, if nec. I do believe, however, that we need to address the PG situation soon, that is our first line of 'D'...I believe Fisher would be much better off coming off the bench. The wear and tear over the years has finally taken its toll, guys just blow by him now...the PG spot needs to be addressed first. A deal with the Hawks, tho, could knock out 2 birds with 1 stone (PG and PF).

Would you wait for GP?
ZenMaster

Postby SWOL on Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:16 pm

either way draft Troy Bell, good shooter, great athlete (Steve Francis type) perfect triangle fit and long term answer at PG
SWOL

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:54 pm

If he developes into a good player, which isn't a guarantee....But if we can get him, we might consider him, unless a better player is available when we select...
Snakell Beast

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:13 am

Troy Bell is a great pick at 32. I just have this feeling that Mitch is dumb enough to pass on him if he gets the chance to pick him at 32.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:13 am

ok.. lets say we get BELL.....what do you do with PARGO?.... and what about FISHER? You really want BELL that bad that your willing to release or trade either PARGO or FISHER? What has BELL done except do well in the Chicago games?... You already have a budding starter in Pargo and Fisher would be a legit back-up? What if we get PAYTON and or TERRY .... what then?.... BELL is a waste of a pick. We need a solid back-up for KOBE because Rush is not going to cut it (Hansen/Outlaw). With the 32nd pick we should draft big period. No more pee wee guards...Stick with Pargo and move on. We still have a chance with PAYTON and TERRY. If MITCH is SMART he would NOT SELECT BELL....
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:16 am

I think we should try to have Pargo be our #3 PG and not waste a draft pick on a shorter PG. If we can get a steal, like one of those 6'9 foreign Point Guards that block shots and are super athletic..ok, but no more smaller guards...
Snakell Beast

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:58 am

I agree SNAKELL, we need a tweener... pointguard/shooting guard kind of player. One that can handle the ball and create plays for other players but also can punish the defender and finish strong. Someone who can defend either spots PG/SG. Yup, we need some height, a Gilbert Arenas type player.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:56 pm

Well, Gilbert is the IDEAL, but within the prototype that he represents there are plenty of players we can get and we need to try to do just that, so we can focus on getting a Power Forward as well, and then Rush can take his time to develop.
Snakell Beast

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:18 am

#1 KObefan,

Have you seen Troy Bell play in BC???

Because if you have, you will never compare him to Pargo.

Bell is an offensive machine. Just look at Bobby Jackson and you see what Bell might turn out in a couple of years.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby SWOL on Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:39 am

#1 Kobe Fan ..... did you can Janero Pargo a BUDDING STAR.... are you nuts..... Janero is at best a career back up......look man I love the Lakers just as much as anyone one if not more, but I also know the game and I can tell you right now now our point guard sit. sucks and we really need to upgrade that, PGs have killed us just as much as PF have the past 2 years, wake up dogg we need help, we should have been addressing some of this stuff for the better part of 3 years
SWOL

Postby SWOL on Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:43 am

sorry some typos in the first line I got too exited
SWOL

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:46 am

LOL... typos happens to me too.
Anyways.. I meant a budding star for the LAKERS much like how Fisher was in his prime. I really see no sense in DRAFTING BELL.

You can compare him to BOBBY JACKSON but before BOBBY was in SACTOWN you never heard of his name. Before BOBBY there was TONY DELK. He was tearing us up too... but since he left have you heard from him since?... NO. Whats so good about JACKSON? He didn't take SAC to the finals. If BELL turns out to be another BOBBY JACKSON.. then I would consider him a flop.
My point is this. PARGO is starting to get a hold of the offense. It took all year but he is starting to grasp it. Do you really want to throw away the YEAR that we spent on him just so we can replace him with another ROOKIE. A rookie who will take a YEAR to learn the Offense and thats if he CATCHES on... just go ask RUSH. FURTHERMORE, Lets say we draft BELL that would leave us with 3 point guards!!! FISHER/PARGO/BELL. Now what if we get PAYTON also... now what... 4 POINTGUARDS?... way too many PG's.. Who do we get rid of?... FISHER or PARGO? or did we just waste another DRAFT PICK?... think about it
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:55 am

If anything a combo player should be drafted... a tweener between a POINT/SHOOTING... like a REECE GAINES type of player with ballhandling skills who can run the point and or play shooting guard with size.
This is why ARENAS would be perfect in L.A.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby The Old Schooler on Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:07 pm

My question is this. Do we really need to draft a Guard? I must admit I don't watch the college game to close. I've heard Troy Bell's name in circles, but I'm not to sure he is the fix for our break. I believe the main focus should be on getting someone in that PF spot. The Lakers have been playing undermanned for awhile at that position, now is the time to spend some cash from the piggy bank to handle that problem. This Point guard thing will happen in due time. Like I have said countless times, I don't think GP is our answer, but if he comes.....so be it!

I believe that this draft should be used to get a Forward, may it be a Power or Small. We hurting at that position, and we need to faces the fact that L.A is weak when it comes to that spot.
CONNECTED IN THE GAME SINCE 1980
The Old Schooler

Postby SWOL on Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:34 pm

i see what you are saying but we didnt waste a year.... we played janero out of need, there was no one else to play i dont think he is that great.... the reason you never herd of Boby Jackson before Sac town is he improved he worked his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] off to get better... and delk playin with Walker and Pierce there is not a whole hell of a lot of shots left for anyone....If he is the Bobby J thatsa hell of a pick and one less thing to adress in F/A
SWOL

Return to Lakers Discussion