MWPeace Discussion: Big Apple Bound

Re: Ron Artest Appreciation Thread

Postby Ras Algethi on Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:04 pm

BDG wrote:
Ras Algethi wrote:LOL, Ron just did his post game locker room interview pantless (he had boxers on). You couldn't tell until after the interview when he walked away. :man10:
LOL I was just about to post this. :man10:

The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby MadMax on Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:25 pm

What does he say at 2:05?
MadMax

Postby karacha on Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:28 am

MadMax wrote:What does he say at 2:05?

"Yes, this one is guznahmmmm"
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:54 am

If Artest had a little bit more athleticism, speed and jumping ability, he would be a top 10 player in the NBA easily.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby MadMax on Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:19 am

karacha wrote:
MadMax wrote:What does he say at 2:05?

"Yes, this one is guznahmmmm"

What is that a reference to?
MadMax

Postby JSM on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:40 am

LakerPride247 wrote:Here's a play I saw him make during the Memphis game tonight. The score was 89 to 79 and Artest missed a shot that was pretty easy. The ball was moved up the floor quickly and he hustled back to the defensive end. Right as he gets to the 3-point line he slows up and anticipates that the pass is going to go to the wing. He slows up just enough for the Grizzly making the pass not to see him coming from behind and he steps in to get the steal and throws it ahead to Powell for an easy break-away slam. In the overall scheme of things a hustle play against Memphis won't be remembered, but what I took away from that sequence is that Artest has very, very good court awareness. He had to have that to be able to anticipate that pass.

That might have been my favorite Ron highlight of the game Friday night. He hustled his butt off after missing that gimmie and played the passing lane perfectly. And then he showed off his QB skills with that full court heave to Powell. He never quits on a play. Besides Kobe, I've haven't seen a Laker so willing to sacrifice his body in pursuit of the ball in a long time. If it's a loose ball and rolling on the floor, Ron's going to make a play for it.

Watching him get more and more comfortable in the offense and watching him sink jumper after jumper just brings a huge smile to my face. Cause 1) he's only going to get better, 2) he's going to see even more open looks and is going to be open longer when Drew and Pau return (once they all readjust to the floor spacing).
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:19 pm

No one appreciating Ron's performance?

5/7/8 in just under 30 minutes? He battled with Lamar for a triple double (Lamar : 7/9/6)
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:28 pm

I think so many did well tonight that Ron got lost in it all. He quietly is going about his business and making it look easy.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:33 pm

Assists, defense rebounding! He didn't get a lot of looks for offensive, but that's the gravy. The others are the meat and potatoes.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:23 am

The more I see Ron, the more I forget Trevor. As good as Ariza was for us with those big shots and defnsive plays, he isn't Ron Artest.

Ron's a beast. There is absolutely nothing that he cant do on the floor. We already knew he could D up and score with the best of them, but his passing and playmaking for others has been a very welcome surprise.

This team is going to be scary, really scary, when everyone is back. Imagine when Phil runs Bynum/Pau/Artest/Odom/Kobe....

o-v-e-r
Center Court

Postby TT24 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:10 am

Ron has been great for us. I want him to stop passing the ball when he has an open shot. TAKE THEM! The other players set him up a coupe times but he passed it up. Be aggressive Ron! But then again this was only the 7th game and he's still getting comfy.
TT24

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:13 am

^ I think his lack of aggression comes mostly from his determination not to be labeled selfish. He's made it his mission so far this season to make absolutely sure that everyone knows he's not going to be a vortex on this team.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:26 am

therealdeal wrote:^ I think his lack of aggression comes mostly from his determination not to be labeled selfish. He's made it his mission so far this season to make absolutely sure that everyone knows he's not going to be a vortex on this team.

Yeah I definitely agree this with statement.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Dazed on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:49 am

Keep it going Ron! :jam2:
“I will find humor in my everyday life by looking for people I can laugh at”
Dazed

Postby TT24 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:55 am

therealdeal wrote:^ I think his lack of aggression comes mostly from his determination not to be labeled selfish. He's made it his mission so far this season to make absolutely sure that everyone knows he's not going to be a vortex on this team.

That's what I was thinking while making that post. Mant are saying he's going to be a blackhole and take bad shots so he's not shooting as much. I'm glad he's not forcing anything, BUT if you're wide open take the shot. I remember one play last night where he passed up a shot and passed Kobe the ball, and Kobe turned it over. I'm not blaming Ron for Kobe's turnover but could've been avoided. As the season goes along, he'll take those shots. But other than that, he's been looking really good.
TT24

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:09 am

^ I think that has to do with him being so unused to being that wide open. I remember specifically the possession you're talking about and yes, he was open. I remember thinking,"there you go Ron, wide open." but he gave the ball up instead. As time goes on, he'll learn to just [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] and load right there.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:55 am

Is it me or does it seem like Ron has had a lot of in and outs on his 3 ball? They'll begin to drop at a rate he's use to soon enough I'd say.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:05 am

^^ not just you, I've noticed that, too. Those are just coming in and coming out. They are right on line and I think they'll be going down more often than they have.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:10 am

The Ronald knows that on offense the squad is multifaceted with options galore...even without The Spaniard at this point. He is more interested in playing defense which is his forte to begin with. Artest supplies that grit and edge that has been perceived as lacking in the Lakers. He is like Odom in a sense where he fills the statsheet in other facets. Scoring to Artest will come as the season progresses. At this juncture, he is concentrating on the basics...and doing a fine job I might add.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tragic on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:48 am

gcclaker wrote:The Ronald knows that on offense the squad is multifaceted with options galore...even without The Spaniard at this point. He is more interested in playing defense which is his forte to begin with. Artest supplies that grit and edge that has been perceived as lacking in the Lakers. He is like Odom in a sense where he fills the statsheet in other facets. Scoring to Artest will come as the season progresses. At this juncture, he is concentrating on the basics...and doing a fine job I might add.

Agreed. I think he's shown flashes of his offense capabilities in a couple games this season. I honestly beleive Ron Artest is capable of being our secondary offensive producer next to Kobe. No offense to Pau or anything
Tragic

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:55 am

Agreed. I think he's shown flashes of his offense capabilities in a couple games this season. I honestly beleive Ron Artest is capable of being our secondary offensive producer next to Kobe. No offense to Pau or anything[/quote]

Capable - definitely. Will it happen, no. Pau is an amazing offensive player with every weapon in the book for a big guy. Ron knows his role. He said in an interview after signing that getting the ball into Pau was "protocol." Like GCC said, the offense with Ron will be gravy. Defense and rebounding will be tantamount and he's also giving GREAT passes to players in the post and elsewhere. He's going to get a lot of assists this year. I think this is the best possible thing for Ron - not having any pressure to be a number 2 scorer but to focus on his team play, D and rebounding with the offense as an added bonus. What a player this guy is!
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:26 pm

Orlando Tragic wrote:
gcclaker wrote:The Ronald knows that on offense the squad is multifaceted with options galore...even without The Spaniard at this point. He is more interested in playing defense which is his forte to begin with. Artest supplies that grit and edge that has been perceived as lacking in the Lakers. He is like Odom in a sense where he fills the statsheet in other facets. Scoring to Artest will come as the season progresses. At this juncture, he is concentrating on the basics...and doing a fine job I might add.

Agreed. I think he's shown flashes of his offense capabilities in a couple games this season. I honestly beleive Ron Artest is capable of being our secondary offensive producer next to Kobe. No offense to Pau or anything

I don't think our team really has a predetermined second option and I don't think Gasol will get as many touches as he had last year. The lion's share goes to Kobe, then the secondary option will be split evenly between Artest, Gasol and Bynum. It's going to alternate depending upon the particular game.

When it comes to scoring and blocks, Bynum will most likely be leading. Gasol will have a lot of assists and get his points. Artest will bring the total package and it's not unlikely that he'll have some triple doubles before the year is over.
Derek Fisher is the heart and soul of this team- Kobe(Black Mamba)
When we win it, it's going to taste much sweeter knowing I played with the injury- Andrew(Lionheart)
Tomorrow is another opportunity to accomplish great things- Pau(Pauwer)
Ron Artest is the Game 7 MVP- Phil(Zen Master)
Q:Pierce says series isn't coming back to LA? A: [Mean Stare]- Derek(President)
If we don't win the championship, it's my fault- Ron(Tru Warier)
ShaqDieselLaker

Location: Sorry Boston, the championship trophy belongs in LA

Postby gcclaker on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:56 pm

Orlando Tragic wrote:

Artest CAN be a capable second scoring option BUT I don't think it will come that. Gasol needs his touches to be effective in the low block scoring and to make passes out of doubles. Bynum needs to be involved to get his head in the game. Jackson always predicates that the Laker inside game has to be established as a priority. At most in looking at the hierarchy, Artest will be a fourth option. I know Odom doesn't care about scoring as it his nature to be unselfish. Will there be games where The Ronald will be an impact scorer? Definitely. Right now, his biggest value is his lockdown defense against hot scorers...Joe Johnson and Durant come to mind as of late.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby KobeFoThree on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:27 pm

noway is artest going to be our second option once Gasol is back.
8 + 24 > 23 + 6
KobeFoThree

Postby karacha on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:28 pm

He'll be the 3rd/4th option for the most part, having a brilliant scoring game once in a while. But there's no real reason to make him a scorer, when we have some of the best big guys in the league. Might as well use them for higher% shots, right? Artest should score 12-15 most of the time, rebound, pass the ball, and obviously -- play the best defense on the team. That's plenty.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion