MWPeace Discussion: Big Apple Bound

Re: Metta World Peace Discussion ("Mike is a fat a**")

Postby Juronimo on Wed May 23, 2012 1:03 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
sina wrote:I love Ron. He is a man.

He certainly is a man.

Hey Ron you have....Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips in the offseason. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for giving it your all this season.

*Edited to fit this situation. :man10:

:man10: I remember that post. That had to be the funniest post in the past year on clublakers.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Re: MettaWorld Peace Discussion ("Mike is a fat a**")

Postby Doc Brown on Wed May 23, 2012 1:07 pm

Rooscooter wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Eh. The only way I'm with you guys is if we use Pau to get one of the young stud SFs out there (Deng, Iguodala, Granger). Otherwise I want to keep him in the starting lineup for his sake mentally.

That's what I meant in my post.... It's hard to know what the hell is coming this offseason.... for all we know Ron could be traded.... his play down the stretch and in the playoffs showed he isn't quite done yet..... If we could trade him for a pick and a young player I'd do it..... as long as we get a SF like the ones you mentioned with Pau.....

I would do a Pau / MWP for Iggy / Young.........for Granger / West......and Deng / Gibson
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Rock on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:27 am

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby McLaren on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:47 pm

McLaren

Postby GoldHammish on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:57 pm

:man10: I don't think he realizes that it's in Celsius, 14 isn't very cold.

I feel kinda "noob" asking this, but anyone know if he'll be making any public appearances or something like that in the Lower Mainland? I'd love to go out and meet him.
GoldHammish

Postby 24K GOLD on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:48 pm

I'll be genuinely sad if Ron gets traded away.
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Re: Metta World Peace Discussion

Postby kray28 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:54 pm

I don't want him to be traded either. For all his weirdness, I've learned to get used to it and am happy to have him. Plus, he's funny as hell.

My son loves him too....keeps mimicking the Harden elbow (beats his chest, swings elbow left)

If he goes, I will miss him a lot.
kray28

Postby Enforcer on Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:46 pm

He's not the player he once was but he's still always been one of my favorite basketball players. I hope he sticks around and gets at least one more ring with us. Seeing him so ecstatic after Game 7 was such a great memory.
Enforcer

Postby blakeruns on Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:58 pm

i truly despised Ron World Artest before he became a Laker.

i respected his game, but the story about his abandoned, neglected dogs in Sac had me rushing to judgement to condemn the man the media had painted him as. I wanted him nowhere near our team.

Since joining the Lakers, he's been a fan favorite, instrumental in a title and a game 7 win over the smeltics, and has even conversed directly with me on several occasions, including inviting me to a party (where i unsuccessfully tried to drink Hennessy with him)

he's entertaining, and when focused, one hell of a basketball player. i'd like to see him return
keepin it fresh eight days a week
blakeruns
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:06 am

His D/overall energy is needed but he's an embarrassement at the offensive end ... with Nash in the lineup , he will be open all game long and will keep bricking open 3s ...

I can't think of a worst fit playing next to Nash ... can't run or put the ball off the floor ... we badly need a more athletic and 2 way SF
wcsoldier81

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:10 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:His D/overall energy is needed but he's an embarrassement at the offensive end ... with Nash in the lineup , he will be open all game long and will keep bricking open 3s ...

I can't think of a worst fit playing next to Nash ... can't run or put the ball off the floor ... we badly need a more athletic and 2 way SF

How is he an embarassment on the offensive end? Did you not watch the 2nd half of the season? He was terrific on both ends. He was just out of shape due to the lockout.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby 432J on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:18 am

he's not the player he used to be and yes his offense for most of the season was atrocious, but his defense is something the lakers NEED and can't replace. that's why it would really suck for them to trade him, he's alot more valuable than people think
432J

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:21 am

KeepBynum wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:His D/overall energy is needed but he's an embarrassement at the offensive end ... with Nash in the lineup , he will be open all game long and will keep bricking open 3s ...

How is he an embarassment on the offensive end? Did you not watch the 2nd half of the season? He was terrific on both ends. He was just out of shape due to the lockout.

He was terrific when Kobe was out because he was more featured in the offense , had the possibility to create for himself ... the way he played for most of his carreer ( though he's never been an efficient offensive player) ... but as an "off the ball" player which will be once again his role next season , he's horrible

Had a couple of good games in the playoffs but still he's not hitting shots at a sufficient rate considering he's wide open
wcsoldier81

Postby Barnstable on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:40 am

:man3:

I get what you're saying with the rest of your post, but Ron runs pretty well. He's not super fast or anything, but for a guy his size, he gets moving. He just looks super awkward dribbling and you wince thinking he's going to turn it over cause it looks so bad, but he seemed to hardly ever turn it over in those situations. Think of how often he would strip the ball at the top of the key or 3pt line and initiate the fast break. He usually scored when he did.

As for his offense, I never hear anyone talk about this,... Ron said he was thinking about retiring season before last because his back hurt him so much. I don't remember all the details, but his spine was the problem, and he couldn't get any lift in his jumper (or slam for that matter) because of the area of the spine that was damaged. Last season he was Dunking a lot more, and making shots because the treatments he had were successful, and he had lift back to his jumps. It wasn't a fluke, he's just healed from the treatments.

That's not to say he isn't declining of course, but it's not as bad as it's made out to be.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby lotus on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:50 am

You are not thinking hard enough.
lotus

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:19 am

I'm a huge fan of Ron Artest - always have been. I lobbied hard for us to get him for years and I knew when he got here he'd help us enormously. It was sad to see him so hobbled by the physical problems where he couldn't jump, had trouble running, etc. His return to true basketball form in the second half of the season was remarkable. It's great for us that he's feeling better and looks like himself again.

Artest is still such a unique player, one of the only guys who can really change a game just by playing hard-nosed defense and getting into the opponents head. Guys come unravelled trying to deal with him.

We need what he brings even if he's getting older. We have no one else who can lock down the other team's best player, and Nash certainly doesn't help that issue. More than ever we need some defensive intensity.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 am

ya I have to agree with wcsoldier

Artest is a horrible fit for Nash...actually to be honest, this entire team is built to play half-court. We have slow front court players, slow back court players and slow wings. We can't shoot or run the court. All we can is post up with Bynum, Gasol, Kobe or Artest.

It will be very challenging to see how Nash makes all this work while not falling asleep on fastbreaks because our lame ducks aren't running the floor hard.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby bumrusherer on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:36 pm

KB24 wrote:ya I have to agree with wcsoldier

Artest is a horrible fit for Nash...actually to be honest, this entire team is built to play half-court. We have slow front court players, slow back court players and slow wings. We can't shoot or run the court. All we can is post up with Bynum, Gasol, Kobe or Artest.

It will be very challenging to see how Nash makes all this work while not falling asleep on fastbreaks because our lame ducks aren't running the floor hard.

This.

I keep reading and hearing people talk about how well Gasol will fit with Nash but if Gasol is in the frontcourt with a true Center ( Bynum of D-12 ), how do we create any kind of spacing for Nash to be Nash?
Kobe isnt the best/most consistent outside shooter and Ron is Ron.

It feels like I'm being really ungrateful because getting Nash is such a boost for our club. But it actually creates so many more questions for the make up of our team because we kinda have to fill every role immediately because it is a likely 2 year window.
bumrusherer

Postby bumrusherer on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:40 pm

Lakerjones wrote:We need what he brings even if he's getting older. We have no one else who can lock down the other team's best player, and Nash certainly doesn't help that issue. More than ever we need some defensive intensity.

Can Ron even do that now though?

Folks bring up how he will be needed to lock down Durant or LBJ but Durant pretty much did whatever he wanted against us this year and nobody can slow down LBJ.

No other contender has a best player who is someone that Ron will have to guard. I guess Paul Pierce maybe could fit that bill but he wasnt all that good in the playoffs and Boston still had a pretty decent run. So he probably isnt someone we need to worry about going forward.

I'm not saying that we need to completely go the other way but I would hope that we look into finding a more athletic player who can shoot the outside shot. With Ron being his back up....if that could be done.
bumrusherer

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:44 pm

I'd move Ron depending on who was coming back to play small forward for us.

If that person could shoot consistently, play defense and is younger and more athletic, then yea Ron is expendable to me.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Doc Brown wrote:I'd move Ron depending on who was coming back to play small forward for us.

If that person could shoot consistently, play defense and is younger and more athletic, then yea Ron is expendable to me.

Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:47 pm

^^^^ You're persistent aren't you. :man10: :man10:
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:49 pm

:jam2: I'm gonna spam the hell out of this idea until more people love it. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:52 pm

We're not getting Iggy. The Lakers aren't trading Pau and we have no other way of getting him.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby JLaker17 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:58 pm

Before Nash I could see us trading Pau for Iggy, now I think the only trade we make is Bynum for Howard or none at all.
JLaker17

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion