MWPeace Discussion: Big Apple Bound

Re: Metta World Peace Discussion

Postby JSM on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:55 am

MWP might be exaggerating some, but I do expect him to be at the rim MUCH more than he was last season. With Nash and our bigger threats who will command doubles in situations (Kobe, Dwight), I don't worry about spacing at all. With the Princeton offense Pau will spend a lot of time at the high post. With Dwight on one side of the paint, the other side will often be wide open. Perfect opportunity for MWP to slip/cut/dive to the rim and for Nash or Pau to hit him with a precision pass. His physique this year should allow him to make much quicker moves and he'll actually be able to get off the ground again and as far as the opposition stopping him when he gets to the rim :man10: ...he's still built like a tank.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:06 am

World Peace is one of those guys that would be just cool to hang out with. Love that guy. I would love to meet him one day. Hell I'd love to meet any Los Angeles Laker.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby therealdeal on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:22 am

There is never a reason to believe Metta when he talks. :man10:

You better believe he's going to hit threes when the time comes.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:32 am

He already had his cover blown when it was reported multiple times that he was working on his 3 point shot in the offseason.

He's going to hit 3's, play defense and throw one handed dunks down in people's grills.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:54 am

I can't wait to watch him play this season. I'm expecting great things. I expect to hear these sentences a lot:
- "The Lakers don't have a Big 3 or a Big 4 they have a Big 5!"
- "Nash kicks the ball out to World Peace for the 3... it's good!"
- "World Peace with the steal, he gets out in front... and he throws it DOWN! Metta World Peace with the slam!"
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:29 pm

He better start practicing those "softy" corner threes.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:26 pm

he'll work on his 3's. he'll become a legit threat from there and then when the defender comes flying by he can take it to the rim. now he has the option to do both vs last year where he could only shoot threes. im not worried about him, hell show us both
Ariza3

Postby revgen on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:41 pm

Less 3's is a good thing. He hasn't been able to shoot a 3 at a decent clip since 2009. I want him to postup more now that Pau is going to be out on the perimeter more in the Princeton offense.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Los Angeles Lakers forward Metta World Peace is making big boasts about the upcoming season, especially since the Lakers acquired talents such as Dwight Howard, two-time MVP Steve Nash.

Put those pieces with Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol and World Peace says he has a certain record in mind: The Chicago Bulls record for most wins in a season. Last season, the Lakers went 41-25 in a lockout shortened season before being eliminated in five games by the Oklahoma City Thunder in the Western Conference Semifinals.

“We definitely want to beat the Bulls record and go 73-9, that’s definitely something that I want to do,” World Peace said via Sports Radio Interviews. “Whoever is out there at the beginning of the season then we gotta get it. It’s as simple as that. We just have to go get it. I think people still have to go through the Lake Show. I think everything goes through the Lake Show.”

World Peace said that the Bulls record of 72-10, set in the 1995-96 season, has been on his mind.

“No question. You try to snatch records before you leave this earth. You gotta try to do a lot of great things so it’s definitely a goal,” he said. “With Dwight Howard, (Steve) Nash, Kobe (Bryant), myself, Pau (Gasol) and then (Antawn) Jamison and a lot of great additions it’s something that’s possible.”

http://tracking.si.com/2012/09/17/laker ... -9-record/
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:50 pm

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2012/09/17/metta-world-peace-nobody-getting-past-the-los-angeles-lakers-nba/
Metta World Peace: “The way the Lakers look initially I can’t see nobody getting past us”
September 17, 2012 – 9:15 am by Chris Fedor
Once the Lakers were booted out of the playoffs early by the Oklahoma City Thunder, it looked like the torch was being past to the young Thunder. It looked as if the Lakers window of opportunity with Kobe Bryant was closing quickly. Then Los Angeles made a few blockbuster moves to re-open that window once again. The Lakers not only traded for Dwight Howard but LA also added Steve Nash, Antawn Jamison and a few other pieces. Although Metta World Peace disagrees, the road to the NBA Finals still goes through Oklahoma City, but after their moves this offseason the Lakers look like a force in the Western Conference once again after a bit of a down year a season ago.

Metta World Peace joined ESPN Los Angeles with Max and Marcellus to talk about whether he is in better shape right now than he was last year, what he makes of LeBron James and Kevin Durant working out together, what he thinks about the Lakers possibly not having Dwight Howard for the start of training camp, on what the Lakers have to do to get past the Oklahoma City Thunder, what he thinks LA is missing and if he is offended that he is often overlooked when people talk about the Lakers.

Whether he is in better shape right now than he was last year:

“I’m good, really good. Last year I came into with 13.3 percent body fat and this year I’m already at eight percent. The pounds that I weigh is really irrelevant, the body fat really tests where you’re at. It’s really hard to lose body fat and I got down seven percent body fat by the end of the playoffs so I will probably be at around four percent.”

What he makes of LeBron James and Kevin Durant working out together:

“I think that was brilliant. I wish I could’ve participated in that but they’re Nike guys and Nike guys like to stick together. I wish I could’ve participated in that. They’re going to come back so much better I can imagine. I can imagine they’re going to come back so much better than they were last year.”

If he thinks players can learn things from each other by working out against each other:

“Somebody definitely could learn some information but the way the Lakers look initially I can’t see nobody getting past us at all so I don’t think they’re going to have a chance to see each other in the Championship.”

What he thinks about the team possibly not having Dwight Howard at the start of Training Camp:

“We definitely want to beat the Bulls record and go 73-9, that’s definitely something that I want to do. Whoever is out there at the beginning of the season then we gotta get it. It’s as simple as that. We just have to go get it. (Host: So that Bulls record is something you’re thinking about?) No question. You try to snatch records before you leave this earth. You gotta try to do a lot of great things so it’s definitely a goal. With Dwight Howard, (Steve) Nash, Kobe (Bryant), myself, Pau (Gasol) and then (Antawn) Jamison and a lot of great additions it’s something that’s possible.”

What it will take for the Lakers to overtake the Thunder:

“I think people still have to go through the Lake Show. I think everything goes through the Lake Show. We had a bad season last year. If we don’t turn the ball over in a couple of games then we’re up 3-1 in that Oklahoma series, actually up 3-2, going back LA so with that said confidence remains.”

What he thinks the Lakers are missing:

“Nothing. We feel great. I saw Jamison today and people forget that he is one of the best offensive rebounders in the game, he has the best touch out of everybody in the NBA, he has the best touch out of all the big men in the game so you figure a guy like that and then we have some great players off the bench so we’re confident, I trust in myself and I trust in my teammates most importantly.”

If he feels that he gets overlooked when people talk about the Lakers:

To me, I know I’m definitely one of the best players in the league, there’s no question. I proved that when I got into shape so I don’t need to be, I’m definitely one of the best defensive players to ever play the game so people can deny it if they want but it’s okay. I do my own thing, I market myself in my own way so I really don’t need to be marketed or talked about throughout the outlets because I do that on my own. On this team nobody plays defense like Metta World and nobody in the league plays defense like Metta World so I don’t really need to prove that.”
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:06 pm

World Peace was averaging 14.1 PPG on 47.3 FG pct in April (both season-highs) after averaging just 6.1 PPG from December to March.

i dont expect that obviously bc he has the other starters now but i think 10 is reasonable at a high percentage close to that and elite defense. he does that and hes done his job
Ariza3

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:11 pm

4% body fat. Dude is going to look like a beast.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby last stand on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:46 pm

4% is actually close to getting unhealthy. 5% is usually considered the healthy lowest you can go.

from what i've read before at least. and 1% is a lot when it comes to body fat. 1% is like an inch around the waist i believe.

we may see his heart pumping through his jersey
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby davriver290 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:20 pm

anyone see how he D's up? He always rides their weak side. and utlizes that poke when the person dribbles. He's pretty smart. And when they shoot he constantly keeps his hands up near their shooting hand. I try to replicate this on the court, but when your not in shape like him and face faster guys, its not that easy lol
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby XXIV on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:29 pm

last stand wrote:4% is actually close to getting unhealthy. 5% is usually considered the healthy lowest you can go.

from what i've read before at least. and 1% is a lot when it comes to body fat. 1% is like an inch around the waist i believe.

You can be at 4% and still be healthy, but it's highly recommended to have someone helping you through the process (which Metta has). Personally, I don't see him getting down to 4%, he'll probably be around the 5-6 percent mark come playoff time.
XXIV

Postby last stand on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:30 pm

davriver290 wrote:anyone see how he D's up? He always rides their weak side. and utlizes that poke when the person dribbles. He's pretty smart. And when they shoot he constantly keeps his hands up near their shooting hand. I try to replicate this on the court, but when your not in shape like him and face faster guys, its not that easy lol

people do overlook that aspect of his defense. it's why he was one of the few perimeter players to win DPOY.

not only does he have size, strength, speed

he also is incredibly smart defensively, he knows all the angles, all the tricks.

him and dwight are going to be a crazy defensive combo. ron is going to know exactly how to feed dwight some blocks

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby last stand on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:31 pm

XXIV wrote:
last stand wrote:4% is actually close to getting unhealthy. 5% is usually considered the healthy lowest you can go.

You can be at 4% and still be healthy, but it's highly recommended to have someone helping you through the process (which Metta has). Personally, I don't see him getting down to 4%, he'll probably be around the 5-6 percent mark come playoff time.

i'll give him that. he does have nutritionists more likely

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:34 pm

When you eat stuff like this, I would say he's got a plan, so it wouldn't be unhealthy for him. Hopefully. :man10: It is Ron....

Doc Brown

Postby last stand on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:58 pm

kills it with the coke. should be water or skim milk dammit :mad1:

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby karacha on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:55 pm

No man, that's just tomato juice. :man12:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:41 pm

XXIV wrote:

This. Your body fat percentage isn't always indicative of your health, like everything else in life it depends on your context. If you're a supermodel and you have a body fat percentage of 3, chances are you're unhealthy. If you're a professional athlete that's trained to be a physical machine, you can be in the low single digits of body fat and be fine.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:46 pm

davriver290 wrote:anyone see how he D's up? He always rides their weak side. and utlizes that poke when the person dribbles. He's pretty smart. And when they shoot he constantly keeps his hands up near their shooting hand. I try to replicate this on the court, but when your not in shape like him and face faster guys, its not that easy lol

I love defense. I'm a linebacker by nature, but I love defense in any sport I play. I've emulated all of the greats in basketball and football when I play. From Ray Lewis to Singletary, from Coop to Ron Artest.

Ron has been by far the most fun to watch play defense, which is saying a lot. He almost always shades and while the offensive player thinks that gives him a lane to go to, he's quicker than they think. He likes to use his foot speed to then get into the offensive player's path, forcing them to mishandle the ball at which point he takes it from them with his incredibly fast and strong hands.

In another life Ron could have been a boxer with the kind of hands he has. I love watching him play defense when he's going strong. That video of him giving Carmelo a hard time... one of my favorites. For a few weeks there was a similar one of him vs. Durant but I haven't been able to find that one. I seriously think Youtube (or someone else) is taking videos of people D-ing up Durant off the internet. I haven't been able to find a clip of that great block Ebanks had on him in the playoffs either...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Original 81 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:14 pm

therealdeal wrote:

I love defense. I'm a linebacker by nature, but I love defense in any sport I play. I've emulated all of the greats in basketball and football when I play. From Ray Lewis to Singletary, from Coop to Ron Artest.

Ron has been by far the most fun to watch play defense, which is saying a lot. He almost always shades and while the offensive player thinks that gives him a lane to go to, he's quicker than they think. He likes to use his foot speed to then get into the offensive player's path, forcing them to mishandle the ball at which point he takes it from them with his incredibly fast and strong hands.

In another life Ron could have been a boxer with the kind of hands he has. I love watching him play defense when he's going strong. That video of him giving Carmelo a hard time... one of my favorites. For a few weeks there was a similar one of him vs. Durant but I haven't been able to find that one. I seriously think Youtube (or someone else) is taking videos of people D-ing up Durant off the internet. I haven't been able to find a clip of that great block Ebanks had on him in the playoffs either...

That game vs Carmelo was one of the greatest defensive performances I've ever seen. He was completely and utterly shut down, some of those steals Ron got were incredible. And we're talking about Carmelo Anthony, arguably the best scorer in the game.

I love watching him play D too, especially when there aren't many guys left who D-up like that anymore.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:05 pm

You know for most guys defense is all about hustle and heart. In my experience good defense is dictated by about 90% hard work and 10% talent. If someone is willing to work hard and dedicate to that side of the ball, they can be a good defender.

Ron excels in that extra 10%. The man simply has a way with defense. He's not just a hard worker but he has real, pure talent on that end.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:10 am

therealdeal wrote:

i made the melo one and two durant videos and they all died with my former youtube accounts. although someone who stole the melo one and uploaded it still has it up. the durant ones even got him to block me on twitter. :man10:

im gonna reupload all three
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion