MWPeace Discussion: Big Apple Bound

Re: MWPeace Discussion: 12k pts, 4k rbs, 1.5k stls, 1k threes!!!

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:15 pm

Ariza3 wrote:Its like watching a lion scaring off a hyena.

:man10: yep
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby khmrP on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:26 pm

just a poor excuse of a defender....I knew he couldn't handle Melo but he couldn't handle Smith either outside of that one steal, that one possession where we got it down to 9 and subsequently Smith hits a 3, Peace of crap takes some weird angle and wasn't even close to bothering Smith. Yea he had good offense production but again just slow and dumb.
khmrP

Postby charvin on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:50 am

I cringe every time he tries to post up or drive to the hoop.
charvin

Postby John3:16 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:51 am

charvin wrote:I cringe every time he tries to post up or drive to the hoop.

he should never touch the ball on offense. NEVER.
John3:16

Postby therealdeal on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:00 am

John3:16 wrote:

Nah John, he's taking 5.8 threes a game and he's still making 38.8% of them. I'd still like him to keep doing that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:12 am

I've voiced my displeasure over Ron many times; but last night, he played a decent game. Matter of fact, I liked us going into the post to him last night in an attempt to exploit the matchup advantage he had with JR Smith in the paint.

He's not the player he used to be defensively, but I don't hold that against him. There's a lot of elite SF's such as Carmelo, Kevin, that the rest of the NBA can't guard either...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby charvin on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:20 am

therealdeal wrote:
John3:16 wrote:

Nah John, he's taking 5.8 threes a game and he's still making 38.8% of them. I'd still like him to keep doing that.

That, I have no problem with. Straight up, catch-and-shoot. But for a guy who's being paid ~$7 mil/year, he can't have bad nights on both defense and shooting.
charvin

Postby therealdeal on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:22 am

Anyone getting paid to play basketball shouldn't have bad nights, but it happens. He's older and his athleticism is pretty faded (even with his excellent conditioning right now). It'll happen in a league dependent on athleticism like today's is.

last night he played pretty well anyway. He got lit up by Carmelo early, but Carmelo was pulling up threes from all over the floor. It's really no wonder. He did a decent job of adjusting as the game went on.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:37 am

therealdeal wrote:Anyone getting paid to play basketball shouldn't have bad nights, but it happens. He's older and his athleticism is pretty faded (even with his excellent conditioning right now). It'll happen in a league dependent on athleticism like today's is.

last night he played pretty well anyway. He got lit up by Carmelo early, but Carmelo was pulling up threes from all over the floor. It's really no wonder. He did a decent job of adjusting as the game went on.

I dont even think you need to be athletic to defend at least on a decent lvl, MWP just takes bad angles and cheats/gambles as much as Kobe. I mean look at Jkidd, dude is slow as snails and he gets blown by Kobe with ease but you still tell he bothers Kobe some. He also does the weird thing of trying to play tight on player who can blow by him from the perimeter. He's just a poor defender IMO overall now. Probably not his fault since it might be by design but I dont understand when he gets switched onto opposing team guards, the quick one at that like the George Hill last sec. shot where he was matched up against him at the end and just lets up and puts Pau in a bad spot to challenge.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:43 am

I disagree with everything in your post. Most of all that last play: Dwight should have blocked that shot, not to mention the degree of difficult was pretty much as high as you can get.

Artest is still a good defender, he's just not playing well right now.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:45 am

therealdeal wrote:I disagree with everything in your post. Most of all that last play: Dwight should have blocked that shot, not to mention the degree of difficult was pretty much as high as you can get.

Artest is still a good defender, he's just not playing well right now.

Dwight/Pau were late cause Peace switch off for no reason....just like last nites game, on the 3 by smith late in the game, I dont what exactly he was doing but his challenge was nothing more of "fake hustle" because he wasn't even in Smith view.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:11 pm

Switching is what they're doing right now all over the defensive end. That's a huge problem because it's just lazy and uncreative.

Artest on that play stays on the roll because that's what he's supposed to do. I don't see the problem at all on that play. If he doesn't stay on the roller who does? Pau? So Hill gets a wide open jump shot OR a wide open shot at the rim?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:11 pm

Switching is what they're doing right now all over the defensive end. That's a huge problem because it's just lazy and uncreative.

Artest on that play stays on the roll because that's what he's supposed to do. I don't see the problem at all on that play. If he doesn't stay on the roller who does? Pau? So Hill gets a wide open jump shot OR a wide open shot at the rim?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:16 pm

MWP did not even get picked on that play, yes West was coming but MWP already gave up on the play and Hill had his lane already to the basket, Pau snail arse was also slow to react to that play too but MWP gave up way to quick on it to even be of any challenge to hill at all on that play.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:22 pm

It was a part of the defensive scheme. It was designed to switch on the screen.

It was designed to force the shot over the top of a tall person. It was designed for Pau to step out and force Hill to drive instead of shooting a mid-range shot.

It was designed to put the onus on Dwight to block the shot attempt. Dwight didn't rotate fast enough and missed the block.

It's really that simple.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:26 pm

MWP getting beat on the perimeter on a consistent basis is not by design, maybe on that play but I still stand by my own opinion that he gave up way to early on that play and even West would've had open jump shot if Hill decided to pull it back because MWP was already sluggishly strolling into the paint. I watched the play again there was NO screen, West didn't even sent one he was just coming up to set it but MWP did not get picked, he was already beat by the time West came into the picture. Regardless of that play, I just see a guy consistently get beat on the perimeter and if he's guarding a guy that plays well off the ball he usually gets lost too if his man is running all over the place, in fact I'm not gona lay all the blame on him for our weak perimeter D, all 3 guys out there suck, from 1-3, they all get beat and creates massive problems for the bigs when facing any type of penetration.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:38 pm

The problem isn't getting beat on the perimeter because there's maybe 2-3 players in the league that can NOT get beat regularly (what with the way rules are set up for the offensive player these days).

The real problem is lack of rotations AFTER you get beat. Sure, fine, get beat that's going to happen, but when that happens you HAVE to know where to go. And no one does that for our team, not Metta, not Kobe, and certainly not Pau.

Well actually Meeks does do that. Meeks does a good job of rotating. Ebanks has done it on occasion, but it's never consistent... I know because the few times our defense has looked nice it's been with those guys in. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:26 pm

Closest to that is Tony Allen.

lakerswiz wrote:You're going to get beat one on one almost every time. Almost every player in the league can get by every other player in the league. Advantage is always to the offense, unless the defender is just crazy nasty. I'm not sure if there is a defender in the league that would be able to continually stop people at the top of the key with a wide open lane and no one behind them. That just doesn't happen.

That's why Kobe practices playing against help defense. He doesn't care about the defender in front of him, he'll get the shot he wants. He has to read the guys playing help defense and how they react. He's been very specific about this in the past.

And much like Real said, after that fact, there's either

A. Lack of Communication

Or

B. Still trying to figure out different words / habits of the other guys on the team

Last night we had the play where Kobe was in front of Melo along the sideline and then facing him up on the baseline in transition, Kobe was telling Jamison he was going to let him through and that the help needs to be there to accept the trade off. (Assumption, but on the replays you could see that's what Kobe was wanting & sort of saying.) Plays like that are just going to happen.

It's no surprise to me that the guys with the biggest help defense issues are the ones new to our team. Then again most of our team out there is brand new, but Jamison and Dwight are both new to the team and are still learning how to play with everyone.

The optimistic side to this is that they have recognized it. They know. They talk about. They take a second to talk it over mid game.

Adjustments and learning to play with one another. Still, IMO, the biggest reason for our record.
charvin

Postby borri on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:56 pm

Anyone catch post game interview with MWP? Got the gist he wasn't happy at all. Kept talking about playing the right way and sharing the ball. Also he kept look to his left. I wonder who was sitting over there?
borri

Postby Finwë on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:28 pm

I loved how MWP played tonight. He was very active on D and got some nice steals that actually led to easy points for us on transition. His 3 ball was off, but he did have like 4 or 5 real nice drives to the hoop. He recognized the "mismatch" and was really good at getting to the rim. Made a couple of very difficult layups around the D.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby LooN3y on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:32 pm

borri wrote:Anyone catch post game interview with MWP? Got the gist he wasn't happy at all. Kept talking about playing the right way and sharing the ball. Also he kept look to his left. I wonder who was sitting over there?

was it kobe?

edit: is there a video online?
LooN3y

Postby borri on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:32 am

LooN3y wrote:
borri wrote:Anyone catch post game interview with MWP? Got the gist he wasn't happy at all. Kept talking about playing the right way and sharing the ball. Also he kept look to his left. I wonder who was sitting over there?

was it kobe?

edit: is there a video online?

Looked for it but couldn't find it. MWP was acting, strange. He was NOT happy. When asked about Meeks going off MWP said something to the effect of:

"we have talented guys on this team. Anyone on any given night can do that." Then he went back to the, play the game right and get everyone involved. On a night when the team shoots so well, and Kobe chucks 29 shots and only makes 9 of them, it's just way too coincidental.

I would not be suprised that the new guys (D12 and Jamison who both have said the same thing in the past) are not very happy. D12's body language was just that last night. D12 had 3 shots midway through the 3rd.

D12 was wary about playing with Kobe prior to coming here. Like it or not, D12 IS our future. I am very concerned that D12 isn't a happy camper. He bolts....we are up the proverbial creek.
borri

Postby Armani on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Beast tonight... maybe this is a sign of good things to come. Play both D and O like this, and we'll be awesome.
Armani

Postby karacha on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:12 pm

I am really pleased with his effort this season. Great job!
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby escobar8 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:13 pm

amazing game...he dominated on both ends of the floor... :bow:
escobar8

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion