MWPeace Discussion: Big Apple Bound

Re: MWPeace Discussion: suspended 1 game without pay

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:38 pm

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing
Metta World Peace hasn't shot better than 50% in any of his past 17 games. #Lakers
dwighthowardsdad

Postby John3:16 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:41 pm

22 of 82.

WHY HAS HE SHOT IT 82 TIMES IN SEVEN GAMES?

:bang: :bang: :bang:
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm sure other people noticed; there was one possession where we had the starting unit in the 3rd quarter. We throw it into Metta on the left block being guarded by Lebron James. Metta fumbles and stumbles his way to an ugly shot and of course clanks it.

Why do you throw it into him to begin with? That was absolutely moronic...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby XXIV on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:45 pm

Mitch really needs to find another SF. Clearly Ebanks isn't the guy we want and apparently MWP is becoming that way as well. We need a player who can hit the open shot, put effective effort into defense, and (this is very important) know his role within the team.
XXIV

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:53 pm

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten
World Peace: "Going 4-3 on a 7-gm road trip is successful for losers ... It’s successful for losing minds, not successful for winning minds"

Metta World Peace has specific reasons why he's not going to praise LeBron James lighting it up against him.

"I compliment after my career is over," World Peace said. "I’m so competitive and in the game right now. We’re trying to win a championship this year. When my career is over, I’ll give praise to guys who I dominated and stopped and guys who had good games against me. But right now, it’s not appropriate for me to judge anybody positive or negative."

https://twitter.com/MedinaLakersNBA
Last edited by dwighthowardsdad on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:07 pm

that's great metta. so what, brownie points for not liking that you went 4-3?
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:15 pm

he shouldnt be happy about that record on the road trip. maybe if he actually did somethin positive in those games the record might be different.
Ariza3

Postby ElginTheGreat on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:25 pm

Metta doesn't even consider passing the ball most times. It is beyond aggravating.
ElginTheGreat

Postby Ice-Fire on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:29 pm

Something needs to happen with this guy either a fire lighten under his belt or amnesty provision/trade options are the only thing right now.

He is beyond horrible right now, and his ball-stop / jumpshots are killing our rhythm in games.
Ice-Fire

Postby borri on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:41 pm

ElginTheGreat wrote:Metta doesn't even consider passing the ball most times. It is beyond aggravating.

Metta's excuse this year has been...."You gotta make the other team play defense. Which then makes it harder on them to play offense because it takes energy to play D."
borri

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:48 pm

ElginTheGreat wrote:Metta doesn't even consider passing the ball most times. It is beyond aggravating.

I'm a big fan of Ron Ron, but he's driving me insane right now. The chucking must stop. Move the damn ball. Focus more on D, too. Come on now Artest/MWP.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:13 am

Scroll down to Lakers. MWP has some undisclosed injury

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/injuries

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Kit on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:18 am

The Rock wrote:Scroll down to Lakers. MWP has some undisclosed injury

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/injuries

Brian damaged.
Kit

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:21 am

a case of brainfart
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:23 am

So, he's hurt now? Not surprising. He can't play this bad without some injury, right? At least one would hope...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby LooN3y on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:40 am

ron was never a good off the ball offensive player.

cmon we know this. off the ball id take him take mid rangers, but its dantoni and he has the green light

hes been giving good effort, i wouldnt dog him like this over a slump even though it has succceeded the amount of games warrented for a slump.

atleast hes not complaing about touches when he cant score, like some other guy :man10:
LooN3y

Postby The Rock on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:45 am

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2013/02/11/metta-world-peaces-recent-struggles-highlight-a-bigger-problem/
One player, however, who is not playing well is Metta World Peace. The guy I still call Ron is going through his worst stretch of the season and while the Lakers are still finding ways to win through his struggles, his poor play is highlighting the lack of reliable wing depth this team has.

Before we go any further, it’s important to quantify exactly what Ron is going through on both sides of the ball.

Over the last 5 games, Ron is averaging less than 8 points a game while shooting 26.3% from the field, 19% from the three point line, and 55.6% from the foul line. Extend the threshold to 10 games and his numbers aren’t much better with an average of a shade over 10 points per game on 30.6% shooting from the field including 29.7% from behind the arc. Furthermore, Ron has become more of a ball stopper on offense in the last five games, looking to score in isolations more and settling for the type of shots that should only be taken with the shot clock running down.

More of an issue than his offensive struggles is the decline in his defensive effectiveness. First, it should be made clear, Ron still has some of the best defensive hands in the league. The ball is never safe when Ron is guarding his man closely and one second of over exposure can lead to the ball being poked or swiped away. However, his foot speed has declined to the point that he’s having trouble executing multiple defensive slides on the perimeter without giving up a driving lane. This leads to defensive breakdowns that puts even more pressure on the Lakers’ interior defenders.

While PER isn’t a perfect statistical tool and can’t be the sole way we evaluate players, it does a do a very good job of compiling box score stats with usage rates and giving an indicator of how efficiently a player is performing on offense. PER against, then, is a handy way of measuring how well your opponent is playing when being defended by you. Last season, Ron posted a PER against of 11.8 when defending small forwards and a PER against of 8.3 when defending power forwards. These numbers, though not telling the entire story of how a defender is playing, show a very effective defender who could swing between both forward spots. This season, however, Ron’s opponents are posting a PER against of 14.8 when playing SF and 18.1 when playing PF. Again, these numbers don’t tell the entire story, but they do tell a story. And it’s one of a player in decline on that side of the ball.

http://nba247365.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/ron.jpg

It’s gotten to the point that Earl Clark is taking the task of defending most of the better wing offensive players (though, to be fair, Ron did “guard” LeBron on Sunday). So, instead of Ron chasing around Kevin Durant, it’s Clark. And instead of Ron taking the next best offensive wing, Kobe is often being asked to defend that player instead. Ron, then, is usually asked to defend the opposing PF or even the C where he has the strength and hand quickness to battle and be disruptive, but not the height or length to be the lockdown force he once was.

While I’ve spent a lot of time knocking Ron down a level (or two) for his recent play and some of his season long shortcomings, this is really more about the Lakers’ lack of a viable alternative on their roster and the best way to use Ron as he ages. What hasn’t yet been said is that while Ron is giving up a hefty PER to opposing PF’s, he’s also playing better on offense as a “stretch four” than he is as a traditional SF. Ron’s PER as a PF is a robust 21.7. In that role he’s usually not at a quickness deficit against his man and has the ability to play the role of a shooter and driver against players who aren’t used to defending on the wing. He gets better shots as a PF and has more advantages in that role.

But, the Lakers don’t have the depth to play him there full time.
The only other natural SF on the roster besides Ron is Devin Ebanks and he’s never been more buried. This leaves the option of moving Kobe up to SF (which he can do), but also opens exposes some of the Lakers’ issues at SG behind their future hall of famer. Jodie Meeks is a fine player who can play 15-20 minutes (or more depending on how his shot is falling), but he lacks solid size and can be exposed in more physical match ups. And if Meeks isn’t getting those minutes, the Lakers are stuck playing a PG (Blake, Duhon) at SG and those same issues (size, quickness, defensive ability) are only exacerbated.

This brings us back to an issue we’ve been discussing for most of the season: the Lakers need another viable wing to help them get through the end of the season. The roster, as it currently stands, has the depth it needs at PG (Nash, Blake), SG (Kobe, Meeks), PF (Clark, Jamison, Ron), and even C (Dwight Sacre). Even with Pau Gasol injured, the team can make enough adjustments with their current group of players to manage their size issues and find a solid rotation at PF/C to get through (as long as Dwight is capable of suiting up). What they don’t have, however, is enough depth at SF to manage — unless they plan at playing guys out of position and going stretches of games with undersized players being asked to do more than they’re capable.

Don’t get me wrong. Ron can still play SF for some stretches. And Earl Clark’s defensive versatility means that Ron doesn’t have to chase players who are much quicker than him around the perimeter for all his minutes. However, as it stands today, Ron is playing 34 minutes a night and his production doesn’t warrant that — especially not lately. But the Lakers simply don’t have a player on their roster to take any of those minutes away. Not with Kobe still playing roughly 38 minutes a night and Clark playing well over 30 a night since he became a part of the regular rotation.

Plus, the fact is, that even if this is just a bad stretch for Ron (which is possible) and he returns to the production levels he showed earlier in the season (also possible, but not likely), the Lakers are still shallow on the wing. On nights where Meeks or Ron play poorly, there aren’t enough players who are capable to fill in the gaps. Unless you count Jamison as a wing player (and I don’t) or expect Clark to play over 40 minutes a night (which is not reasonable). Something, then, needs to be done.

How the Lakers deal with this the rest of the season will matter. It may not be their biggest problem and it’s certainly not the one that will generate the most headlines. But it’s still something that needs addressing.

34 mins a night to Ron & we have no viable alternatives...Im starting to think the Lakers FO are just gonna put the onus on this $100 mil roster to get it done & they're not gonna add anyone...because we're in dire need of perimeter 3 point shooting help...one piece that fits D'Antoni system & they haven't addressed it & neither have they brought in a big man with Pau going down. They'll probably trade MWP & Pau or amnesty one of them next year when it benefits the team the most while providing the most flexibility. I dont think our FO sees our team as a championship roster, otherwise they'd be filling in the holes right now. They probably think it wont make a difference so why spend an extra $1.8 mil or two
Last edited by The Rock on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: MWPeace Discussion: Kobe passing, Peace chucking

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:49 am

therealdeal wrote:He's been playing the same way he's played since the OKC game. He's just not hitting his shots. He wasn't doing a great job then either of moving the ball, but he was attacking more often. Whenever we've seen him matched up against smaller guys, we'd see him take him inside and abuse him. He hasn't done that in a while.

These days he's far more likely to shoot a jumper over someone than try to drive to the rim. He's hurt somewhere, I can see it. I just don't know what it is yet. I'll wait the two months before he comes out and says "I've been playing with plantar fascitis again" or something.

Tooting my own horn and I don't even care about it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:53 am

therealdeal wrote:
therealdeal wrote:He's been playing the same way he's played since the OKC game. He's just not hitting his shots. He wasn't doing a great job then either of moving the ball, but he was attacking more often. Whenever we've seen him matched up against smaller guys, we'd see him take him inside and abuse him. He hasn't done that in a while.

These days he's far more likely to shoot a jumper over someone than try to drive to the rim. He's hurt somewhere, I can see it. I just don't know what it is yet. I'll wait the two months before he comes out and says "I've been playing with plantar fascitis again" or something.

how does that help the team with him playing through an injury all the meanwhile continue to chuck away and put the team in bad spots defensively?
khmrP

Postby The Rock on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:56 am

Ron is playing more minutes now than he did during the 09/10 season, his 1st season with us. We're relying on him the most while he couldn't be any worse. This is why it was a huge red flag last month to see such an unreliable aging player being our 2nd highest scorer, it wasn't gonna last.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:56 am

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

how does that help the team with him playing through an injury all the meanwhile continue to chuck away and put the team in bad spots defensively?

I never said it helped.

All I said is he's injured. You can see it in the way he moves right now, something is up. He's not feeling 100%. I never said it's good for the team, I said it's what's going on.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:02 am

^^^then why mention he's playing through injuries? If he's not gona acknolwedge it and continue to hurt the team I we dont need him out there and I feel like you mentioning injuries w/o him acknowledging it himself is a form of giving him a pass.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:38 am

:man10:

What are you talking about?

All that I'm saying is that I called he had some sort of injury bothering him a while back. That post is from some post 4-5 pages ago or something. All that I'm saying is that I knew he was hurt and I called it and I'm giving myself credit for calling it.

Again: This is a post where I'm shamelessly tooting my own horn.

I am in no way excusing his play. I never said it was okay, I never implied it. Take whatever you want from that.

:man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:41 am

well if he's not going to acknolwedge it I'm just gona assume he sucking cause he SUCKS :man10:
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:46 am

That's what we always do though, right? :man10:

The dude gets hurt, doesn't say anything, and we're wondering why he's playing so poorly. Then he says "I had a nerve problem" or "I had plantar fasciitis" or "undisclosed injury" and we eventually go OOOOOH that's why...

Well I just felt this one coming. I knew he was hurt... I hope he just figures it out though. We literally have no one else at that position. Except Ebanks... but he's checked out worse than Dwight. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion