MWPeace Discussion: Big Apple Bound

Re: Metta World Peace Discussion

Postby KB24 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:25 pm

Does that mean Artest can finally jump higher than his usual 10 inch vertical? :freak2:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:30 pm

nthydro wrote:When was the last time two teammates were DPOY candidates? Would be great to see. Even though Metta would be a long shot it'd still be nice to see him in the convo.

I think he deserves a little more recognition than he gets defensively. I mean last season he guarded positions 1-4 when we needed him to. He guarded CP3 a couple games late in the 4th. That's hard to do. He could also guard some of the smaller 4s if we called for it.

He definitely deserves more recognition for his defensive efforts. Hopefully having Dwight will really show people that Artest's on ball defense is fantastic.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:51 pm

for our entire team, especially kobe & metta, knowing they have dwight behind them will make their on ball defense better and more intense. any player would knowing that if they get beat when the gamble sometimes dwight will most likely block the S*** out of them.

Metta's hands have always been some of the quickest in the league so he'll probably gamble on a few steals a game and prob get them...but if not he knows the opponent is gunna have to go against dwight and that is not easy by any means. vs bynum who opponents knew hed be reluctant to help defensively most of the time.

i think metta's new found self being in GREAT shape, lost weight, feeling like indiana ron, back nerve and achilles finally healed and healthy; he'll be playing pretty good defense and denying the ball from the teams best player as well disrupting them more as he can gamble more with dwight behind him.

dwight makes everyone else a little better on d as they can pressure more. return of ron artest this season. its either this season or never...and its looking pretty good so far for indiana ron's return.

having another guy like dwight next to him who takes just as much pride on d as him will only push him to be even better on d. 2 former DPOY in the starting lineup is awesome. especially if ron is feeling like indiana ron as he says....the guy doesnt lie; if hes fat he'll tell you, if hes feeling like idiana ron then you believe him
Ariza3

Postby Barnstable on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:30 pm

KB24 wrote:Does that mean Artest can finally jump higher than his usual 10 inch vertical? :freak2:

He's in such good shape, he can dunk, and then throw two elbows now!!
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:45 pm

He has a 20-inch vertical now. Impressive!
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:00 pm

therealdeal wrote:
nthydro wrote:When was the last time two teammates were DPOY candidates? Would be great to see. Even though Metta would be a long shot it'd still be nice to see him in the convo.

I think he deserves a little more recognition than he gets defensively. I mean last season he guarded positions 1-4 when we needed him to. He guarded CP3 a couple games late in the 4th. That's hard to do. He could also guard some of the smaller 4s if we called for it.

He definitely deserves more recognition for his defensive efforts. Hopefully having Dwight will really show people that Artest's on ball defense is fantastic.

Everyone's always saying that LeBron's the only player that can guard 1 through 5 in the L.. I think they are forgetting about MWP.
In the same 4th quarter against the Clippers he stopped Blake Griffin on the post (who has a similar body -and is waaay more athletic- as many centers in the league) and then he checked CP3 -and STRIPPED him in a key possession- in the last few minutes of the game.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:50 pm

Finwë wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Everyone's always saying that LeBron's the only player that can guard 1 through 5 in the L.. I think they are forgetting about MWP.
In the same 4th quarter against the Clippers he stopped Blake Griffin on the post (who has a similar body -and is waaay more athletic- as many centers in the league) and then he checked CP3 -and STRIPPED him in a key possession- in the last few minutes of the game.

I honestly thought at that point that Artest was making a case for Defensive Player of the Year. I mean seriously, how many other defenders are there out there who can do that? If not DPOY, then certainly some All-NBA honors, but he's been shunned for the last couple seasons.

Watch for him to make the All-NBA Defensive 2nd team while Dwight wins Defensive Player of the Year.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:23 pm

^^ Hopefully that's the case :jam2:
And I completely agree about MWP's D being underestimated this past couple of years with us. Dude's still got the best/quickest hands in the L on that end of the court.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby revgen on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:42 pm

Good news.

Last season Metta was awful in team defense situations. Especially on P&R. All the opposing team had to do was set a simple screen and Metta took forever to recover. He improved as he worked himself into shape later in the season.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:09 pm

revgen wrote:Good news.

Last season Metta was awful in team defense situations. Especially on P&R. All the opposing team had to do was set a simple screen and Metta took forever to recover. He improved as he worked himself into shape later in the season.

Well even a slimmer, sleaker Ron Artest is an easy pick target because of his size. it's really the only way to effectively limit him defensively. And of course our size was generally slow, whether it be Bynum, Gasol, McRoberts, or whomever, so the pick and roll against Ron was the most successful method.

That being said, he still found a way to limit guys to 40% from the field off of picks, so he's still a good defender.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:01 pm

If he's feeling like the Indy Ron then the rest of the league is in trouble...as if they weren't in trouble enough with our big 4. I think he's being overlooked by a lot of people and flying under the radar right now, when he's in this kind of shape he is the best perimeter defender in the league, no question about it.

I really am expecting a monster year out of him, it might not show up on the box score, but in terms of impacting the game. The additions of both Nash and Dwight will really rejuvenate him on both sides of the ball. I expect Nash will find some ways to get him involved and he just won't be standing around in the corner all season, especially if he's healthy, lighter, and quicker -- we should see some quick cuts to the rim. And on D I think having Dwight behind him will give him more confidence and defensive swag, he'll attack his opponent, body him, use his insanely quick/strong hands. I'm expecting even more poses and bicep kisses from him this season.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:10 pm

I think bc of the reputation he has he gets shunned in a lot of the areas where normal players would get praised. I think getting All-NBA Defensive 2nd team is well within his reach...towards the end of last season for sure and def this coming season if he improves a bit. I think the only thing keeping him from any awards or honors is his reputation amongst the league and not his skill which is undeniable.

Its crazy to think he can still play elite defense at this point in his career..especially when he was called upon he did it last season with injury and being out of shape. imagine when those 2 issues are completely gone and hes actually improved. i cant wait...its hard not to love the guy regardless of his play; but you cant help it if hes playing like he did towards the end of last season if not even better. Nash is a very smart player and he'll know that an invloved metta world peace is pretty deadly so im sure he'll get him involved.

His impact on the game will be one of the biggest things he can bring to the table. when the guy makes a defensive play its normally a huge one and then an offensive one and the entire swing of the game could change. we have a big 4 that look great on paper but adding a guy like metta to the mix and its just crazy to think about our starting 5. he wont be the weak link and he'll make sure of it. if he really is feeling like indiana ron than im really excited bc having him defending the perimeter and dwight the paint...its gunna be awesome

i think the guys are gunna be having more fun out on the floor and enjoying the game. with all these all stars the game should be a struggle for every single point. i think these guys are really going to enjoy this season compared to last. gunna be a fun this to watch as a fan
Ariza3

Postby Azndude2190 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:17 pm

I really think it's the "Big 5" with MWP because if he goes back to his pre-Laker days, especially on offense, we will be unstoppable. As of now, he's still one of the best defenders in the league.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby TrillyandTruly on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:19 pm

Great news for Ron Ron and the Lakers. I cannot wait until this season starts, especially since we've added 2 new players into our squad so it's exciting just to see what kind of production this team will put out. Ron seems to be hungry for another championship just as much as Kobe is, which is what I expect from him and nothing less. Lets go Lakers! :jam2:
My entourage is in camouflage; remove your mask, let down your visage...
TrillyandTruly

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:26 pm

TrillyandTruly wrote:Great news for Ron Ron and the Lakers. I cannot wait until this season starts, especially since we've added 2 new players into our squad so it's exciting just to see what kind of production this team will put out. Ron seems to be hungry for another championship just as much as Kobe is, which is what I expect from him and nothing less. Lets go Lakers! :jam2:

We added at least 4 players: Nash, Meeks, Jamison, and Howard. Not to mention Duhon and Clark. Not to mention the people that might be signed in the future from our draft picks, free agency, or from our training camp roster.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:45 pm

I love Ron but he needs to back it up man. 2010/2011 he came in tip top shape but his head was somewhere else. We need him mentally and physically focused like he did in the 2009/2010. He was on a mission that year. HE did his fair share of partying he played hard, he focused, he did what the team needed and he was our defensive captain. We need that Ron back

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby TrillyandTruly on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:57 am

therealdeal wrote:
TrillyandTruly wrote:Great news for Ron Ron and the Lakers. I cannot wait until this season starts, especially since we've added 2 new players into our squad so it's exciting just to see what kind of production this team will put out. Ron seems to be hungry for another championship just as much as Kobe is, which is what I expect from him and nothing less. Lets go Lakers! :jam2:

We added at least 4 players: Nash, Meeks, Jamison, and Howard. Not to mention Duhon and Clark. Not to mention the people that might be signed in the future from our draft picks, free agency, or from our training camp roster.

Oh yeah, sorry. I should have been more clear. I meant that we changed and added 2 players to our starting 5. Although, I'm still happy about our much needed upgraded bench.
My entourage is in camouflage; remove your mask, let down your visage...
TrillyandTruly

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:03 am

The Rock wrote:I love Ron but he needs to back it up man. 2010/2011 he came in tip top shape but his head was somewhere else. We need him mentally and physically focused like he did in the 2009/2010. He was on a mission that year. HE did his fair share of partying he played hard, he focused, he did what the team needed and he was our defensive captain. We need that Ron back

Well this season he said that if we don't win it all, look at him as the person to blame. Last time he did that was 2010.

Just sayin. :man12:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:05 am

TrillyandTruly wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Oh yeah, sorry. I should have been more clear. I meant that we changed and added 2 players to our starting 5. Although, I'm still happy about our much needed upgraded bench.

Me too. This team is stacked at 3 out 5 positions (SG, PF, and C). We have depth at those 3 spots to the point where if we suffer an injury, we've got someone who can step in and be effective as a starter. Blake can backup PG alright, but I'd rather he not start and Ebanks has some experience as a starter, but he's still young and developing.

I love our team right now and I love our depth. Metta has the opportunity to really change our look defensively and I'm looking forward to that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:02 pm

I think Ebanks will be really important to Metta. When were playing against OKC, Metta will have to go against Durant and he did a decent job last season so if hes indiana ron like he says he is than he'll do an even better job against him.

then when he goes to the bench you send in Ebanks and the defense should be still good on Durant. We've seen him bother him alot with his length and athleticism so having 2 guys who can just keep coming in waves to guard Durant and dont have an offensive obligation will be huge. Offense for them 2 is just a bonus...theyre in there for defense. I think Metta will help Ebanks out and teach him some things to help him become a better defense bc we've seen flashes of him being a good defender.

Other than defense Metta NEEDS to become a better 3 point shooter. i think the back and achilles injury were reasons why his shot sucked and was flat vs the end of last season where he was pretty good. When he can hit that open 3 he'll be getting it will be huge for us. Shane Battier for the heat does nothing but play great defense and hit the open 3 and he was prob one of big the reasons the heat won other than lebron of course. he was hitting EVERYTHING and i think Ron can play that role for this team as his offense isnt needed as much as his defense.
Ariza3

Postby JSM on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:56 am

ESPN wrote:Los Angeles Lakers forward Metta World Peace joined the Max and Marcellus Show on 710 ESPN radio on Friday to discuss the team's upcoming season and share his thoughts on the reconstructed roster.

"With the way the Lakers are looking this year, I don't see anybody getting past us this year at all," World Peace said.

(CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE ENTIRE INTERVIEW)

Despite the Lakers' exit in the second round of the NBA playoffs last spring, World Peace says he believes the team developed good chemistry under coach Mike Brown.

"Not only does he have confidence in his team, he also has confidence in himself," World Peace said. "I gotta trust in myself, trust in my teammates most importantly."

World Peace also talked about what the addition of small forward Antawn Jamison will mean.

"I saw Jamison today," World Peace said. "People forget how much a great rebounder he is. He's one of the greatest rebounders of the game, he has the best touch out of everybody in the NBA, best touch out of all the big men in the game."

Audio link to the interview:
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=8379316
JSM

Postby JSM on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:23 am

Metta WorldPeace ‏@MettaWorldPeace

No threes I'm going to the rack this year All post work Save the threes for softies

First ever the lakers had two DPOY on the team at the same time and the second time in history of basketball..
JSM

Postby SmoothOperator on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:27 am

JSM wrote:

No threes I'm going to the rack this year All post work Save the threes for softies

First ever the lakers had two DPOY on the team at the same time and the second time in history of basketball..

So... it's settled then. Spacing will be a problem when Metta is on the floor.
You can't spell LeBlow Image without ELBOW....
SmoothOperator

Postby karacha on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:32 am

You actually believe Metta? Hehehehe.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby bystander on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:43 am

I'm actually tired of him speaking since the second day he became a Laker.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion