MWPeace Discussion: Big Apple Bound

Re: Metta World Peace Discussion

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:43 am

Oh I'm not saying anything about once the season starts, I think him and Dwight are going to be bananas defensively.

Just with the whole camp situation I feel like Metta is the outcast of the starters. Lakers.com has interviews after EVERY practice from the Big 4 and Coach Brown. Metta is the only one not doing a daily interview after practice for the site. It makes me a sad panda.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:46 am

Doc Brown wrote:What do you think the chances are, of getting 3 Lakers on the all defensive team this year?

D12 will make it for sure if he's healthy the entire season....

Kobe will make it based on nationally televised games where he shuts somebody down and gets it by rep.....

I think if Ron plays consistently throughout the entire season, at the level he was at, at the end of the season (pre-Elbow), I think he makes it .....

I just have a feeling we won't get as many awards as we deserve. I have a feeling that even if this team dominates, we're not going to see the regular season hardware.

Because seriously we should, if this team does what they're capable of and stays healthy and whatnot, win the MVP, the DPOY, the 6th Man Award, at least 3 All-Stars, 3 All-NBA Defensive Selections (1st or 2nd doesn't matter), and at least 2 All-NBA selections (1st or 2nd doesn't matter).

No way they give us at least 50% of those.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:16 am

When you sub in Hill for Gasol with Peace, Howard and Bryant on the floor the defense will be much better. It should be more than enough to cover for Nash who while not the best physically is smart enough how to compensate for it. It's not the Dobermans but big, nasty Rottweilers.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:49 am

Actually if rumors swirled that Kobe wasn't a good defender anymore, that'd almost guarantee him the All-NBA Defensive selection because he'd be pissed off. We all know Kobe wants to prove himself in everything to every detractor.

If people who mattered, not Bayless and S.A. Smith, said Kobe was a poor defender at this stage of his career, Kobe would make his mission to prove them wrong. At least for a few games.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:25 am

Did you miss the last sentence? I said for a few games. When people said last season he was old and couldn't score anymore, he scored 40 points in 4 straight games. When Griffin was the talk of LA Kobe won the All-star MVP.

He's done that his whole career. And if someone said he was a bad defender, he'd do the same thing.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:32 am

With Peace focused on his defense and starting in shape, Howard manning the middle...Bryant won't have to "cheat" as much. Nash is smart enough to funnel his man to where the help is. All in all, Bryant can or should concentrate on who he is on.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:27 pm

lakerswiz wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Did you miss the last sentence? I said for a few games. When people said last season he was old and couldn't score anymore, he scored 40 points in 4 straight games. When Griffin was the talk of LA Kobe won the All-star MVP.

He's done that his whole career. And if someone said he was a bad defender, he'd do the same thing.

BUT THEY HAVE SAID IT! I don't know who counts though. Stephen A and Bayless don't. Yet they're probably the ones that started talk with Griffin in LA and they're probably the ones that started the conversation of him being old and not being able to score.

Why are you text-yelling? :man3:

And what point are you trying to make? You're attacking a point that I'm not making. I said for a few games Kobe would go into a defensive mode and show the world he can still be a good defender, if not a great defender. Then he'd revert back to his usual lazy self defensively.

But that one display would solidify in people's minds what they suspected from the beginning. "They" have been saying what? "They" voted him into the All-NBA Defensive team whether people liked it or not.

Bayless and Smith don't count in my mind because I was associating them with First-Take. If Smith wrote an article perhaps about how/why Kobe isn't a good defender anymore, then that'd be taken more seriously.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:57 pm

therealdeal wrote:Oh I'm not saying anything about once the season starts, I think him and Dwight are going to be bananas defensively.

Just with the whole camp situation I feel like Metta is the outcast of the starters. Lakers.com has interviews after EVERY practice from the Big 4 and Coach Brown. Metta is the only one not doing a daily interview after practice for the site. It makes me a sad panda.

hes done interviews post practice. just not with lakers.com; hes not one to really care about that stuff...hes got plenty of attention with the talk shows hes been on etc this off season.

http://www.latimes.com/videogallery/72701466/Sports/Lakers-forward-Metta-World-Peace-on-flopping-rule
Ariza3

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:23 pm

lakerswiz wrote:Eh. I've written up responses a few times and have just ended up deleting them.

We won't get anywhere.

I've made my case. People have said Kobe isn't as good a defender anymore. All I'm met with is a list of prerequisites for who counts as being relevant.

Kobe's great. He will prove a few people wrong. But it's not a for sure, guaranteed thing. We can't simply say that if they say this he'll do that because for as often as he has done it, there are just as many instances where the media is pushing a certain idea and he doesn't try to prove them wrong.

What people? When? Where? I mean I think it's widely stated that he's not a great defender anymore, but he's still highly touted as a one-possession defensive stopper and an okay defender. I haven't read a single article this summer saying he's a bad defender. I don't remember one from the entirety of last season. Please show me the error of my ways.

I completely stand by my point which I don't think you've done any kind of job of refuting. Is it guaranteed? No, that was obviously a tongue in cheek comment. But certainly if rumors swirled among the mainstream that Kobe's defense had fallen off the cliff, he'd do exactly what I said he would. His track record for doing so is impeccable.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby ben_ready on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:48 pm

I thought this was suppose to be about metta why all the Kobe talk? Keep it metta yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby The Original 81 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:34 pm

Seriously what does that mean? And do you really think it adds some unique substance to your posts?
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby purp n gold on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:35 pm

I'm expecting the Houston Rockets/Sacramento version of Ron in a few weeks. We're not overlooking him but I know the entire country is. If that we indeed get that version of Ron, this is as close to an "All-Star" Starting 5 as I've ever seen. It might be the best starting 5 of all time?
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:37 pm

purp n gold wrote:I'm expecting the Houston Rockets/Sacramento version of Ron in a few weeks. We're not overlooking him but I know the entire country is. If that we indeed get that version of Ron, this is as close to an "All-Star" Starting 5 as I've ever seen. It might be the best starting 5 of all time?

Without question. If World Peace plays like Ron Artest that means we'll have three superstars, an All Star, and a borderline All Star.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:56 pm

lakerswiz wrote:therealdeal and I are going to argue about Kobe on here until you tell us w-t-f "yell™" means.

no we're not!... get it?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ken_rosseneri on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:02 pm

Metta World Peace looks great today. Knocking down 3s. He's in great shape.
Ken_rosseneri

Postby Finwë on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Hard work pays off
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:03 pm

2-3 from deep with 3 steals (all in the first quarter).

The dude looks good.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:03 pm

metta clearly was putting in work
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby XXIV on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:19 pm

He definitely looks a lot better than he was in the beginning of last season. His shot also looks more fluid which will definitely help with all the open looks he'll be getting.
XXIV

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:30 pm

he looked good. and the man was wide open soo many times. for the amount of mins our starters played I think they did pretty well. MWP looked awesome
Ariza3

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Ron has been impressive so far. All the offseason work and extra training he's done is really showing. Our starting 5 is going to be deadly.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Original 81 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:53 pm

Big Don Ron looking quick and agile out there. I think he's motivated as hell, especially considering he's the forgotten one of the starting five.

And he's totally underrated in NBA 2K13.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby dj vitus on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:58 pm

Looking great. Hope he doesn't wear out by season's end.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby The Rock on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:59 pm

Please make 3s!

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:27 pm

The guy is going to be great this season if he stays healthy. That's really all there is to it. He still looks good defensively and he looks great offensively compared to last season.

The biggest thing: he looks fast. He can get out on a fast break! That's crazy... And his touch around the rim is solid too.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion