MWPeace Discussion: Big Apple Bound

Re: Metta World Peace Discussion

Postby Tobias Funke on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:16 pm

As far as his shooting, hopefully this is the result of working on his shot this summer and he doesn't regress.

I was more excited for his increased mobility this season, but if his shooting is better I'll damn sure take it. The one thing that's been consistent with Ron since he's been here (other than the crazy interviews) is him getting wide open shots. Him being lighter allows him to have a positive impact offensively even when his shot is off, but its great to see he's shooting well.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby GoldenKnight on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:31 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:i dont cringe when he shoots 3s anymore

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby funkychunky on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:41 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:
funkychunky

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:48 pm

Trevor Wong of Lakers.com wrote:A year ago, Metta World Peace conceded he was out of shape. His shot was off, he seemed to be a step slow defensively and his entire game was affected.

“The lockout hurt me a lot, because last season going into the playoffs I had a nerve issue in my back,” he explained during his exit interview in May. “Once the lockout happened I wasn’t able to address it so all I could do was rest. It took me 2-3 months to get in shape.”

During the first half of last season, World Peace shot only 33.5 percent from the field and 23.9 percent from the 3-point line, while averaging just 4.9 points.

After he was able to lose weight and get himself back into game shape, though, those numbers jumped. In the second half of the season, World Peace shot 43 percent from the field, 33.1 percent from the 3-point line and averaged 10.7 points. On the defensive end, he looked quicker, more nimble and displayed that prowess he’s been known for his entire career.

Going into this season, the small forward knew what he needed to do to continue playing at that level.

“I gotta come back just how I left off,” he said last May. “I was playing at a high level and need to be able to stay there.”

Fast forward to now and the former St. John’s product appears to be performing at that same level fans saw during the latter half of last season. He’s noticeably slimmer and he’s quicker on both offense and defense.

“He’s been in the best shape that I’ve seen him since I’ve been here,” Kobe noted. “I haven’t seen him in this kind of shape since I faced him when he was in Indiana. He’s really in tip-top condition.”

The results are showing, too.

Through the team’s first three preseason games, he’s shooting 50 percent from the field and the 3-point line, while chipping in almost 12 points. And he’s doing all of it in less than 24 minutes per contest. World Peace noted how much of a difference it feels to have lost 17 pounds in the offseason.

“I feel good that I can get to the basket,” said World Peace, who notched 13 points, grabbed four rebounds and shot 3-of-4 from the 3-point line in the team’s third preseason game. “I can push it without getting tired. I can go right a little bit more this year and (the opponent) doesn’t really know what’s going on defense. And I can help my team more.”

With World Peace in peak condition and playing at a high level, fans can expect to see some of the old Ron Artest — a more dynamic player on both ends of the court.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby DirtySoap on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:09 pm

Love that guy. People might start talking about a "Big 5" on the Lakers if he can bring back some of his Indiana/Chitown/Sactown game. Either way, he's gonna be huge for us on D, and if he can consistently hit the 3, teams are gonna have headaches figuring out how to guard our starters. It might even be nice to see him play extended minutes with the bench when he's not focused on shutting down the opposing teams superstar. The Lakers have experimented with having him lead the bench before, but never when he was in this kind of physical condition.
DirtySoap

Postby solenstyle on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Yes, yes....

solenstyle

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:46 am

:man10: :man10: :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Sean on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:12 am

Another chance for World Peace
Back in shape, Los Angeles Lakers forward anticipating increased opportunities

Updated: October 16, 2012, 10:58 AM ET; By J.A. Adande | ESPN.com

A slimmed-down Metta World Peace is looking to get his swagger back on the offensive end.
At the moment, MWP stands for Math Word Problem, as Metta World Peace is working through the type of exercise you used to see on elementary school tests.

"If [Kobe's] not going to average 100, then there's going to be points out there, right?" World Peace says. "If he scores 30 a night, that's 70 points left."

World Peace has done the calculations. More important, he's put in the perspiration, logging the requisite work to shed what he says is 20 pounds. The math part is much easier: Subtract Kobe Bryant's points from the 100 or so the Lakers will average, then divide the rest among the remaining rotation players.

"There's points out there," World Peace says, and he intends to get his share of them.

With Bryant missing the Lakers' second preseason game and Dwight Howard sitting out both, one of the only things to take away from these exhibitions is that World Peace appears to be a legitimate threat. Defending the Lakers won't be as simple as abandoning World Peace to focus on everyone else.

"This is not just about the rock stars," World Peace says. "We have other players that are really good. I am coming to the game with a guitar during the regular season. Every game, I'll have a guitar."

Once a scorer, always a scorer's mentality, and World Peace is a guy who averaged 20 points as recently as five years ago. But the same amount of touches won't always be there, especially while playing with Bryant, the league leader in usage rate for two of World Peace's three seasons in Los Angeles. Even with one of the best distributors in the league, Steve Nash, on board, there's Howard to command the ball down low, in addition to Pau Gasol. So it's easy to overlook World Peace when thinking about the Lakers' offensive options.

"How are they going to forget about me?" World Peace counters. "That's impossible. They try to. People purposely try to forget about me. But that's impossible. It's just impossible."

Only because he makes it impossible. If he didn't feel the need to stand out, Ron Artest wouldn't have changed his name to Metta World Peace. His yearning for attention wouldn't manifest itself in every way from auctioning his 2010 championship ring for charity, or cracking an elbow to the dome of James Harden. On the court, that translates into him wanting the ball and shooting the ball.

The problem was his shots were often one of the worst outcomes for the Lakers' offense, as his overall shooting percentage dropped to a career-low 39.4 percent in 2011-12. It reached the point that even layups became dicey propositions.

World Peace blamed his conditioning, which included an admittedly excessive amount of margaritas during last year's lockout.

"That first step, that extra step, the push-off and then finishing … I couldn't do it," he says. "I couldn't do it. And then a couple of years ago, my back was hurting, so I wasn't able to work hard in the summer, which is like my bread and butter, the summertime. This summer I was able to work hard."

And sometimes bad makes for better. I thought of that principle the other day while listening to the latest album from World Peace's Queensbridge homeboy, Nas. A nasty divorce and hefty child support payments left Nas wounded, raw and hungry, and that edge created the artistic triumph "Life is Good."

The NBA version of heartbreak is losing early in the playoffs. Bryant said that in the locker room immediately after the Lakers' second-round exit in Oklahoma City it was World Peace who spoke up about the need to turn that pain into hard work. Then World Peace followed through in the summer, even while leaving a Twitter trail of adventures in Las Vegas and Vancouver.

HOLLINGER'S PLAYER PROFILES

Check out Hollinger's player scouting reports and '12-13 stat projections for the Lakers' roster. Player Profiles

He also ate right. At an only-in-L.A.-moment Thursday night, World Peace (in a room that included Wayne Gretzky, Matt Kemp, Janet Jackson and Michael Jackson's children) was explaining his diet philosophy to David Arquette.

"You have to feed your liver," World Peace said to a captivated Arquette.

Feeding your liver means lots of grapefruit, and chopping up and eating whole cloves of garlic. Doesn't sound very tasty, but the results are great: World Peace says he weighs about 250 pounds, and he is visibly leaner than last year.

You can see the impact on the court. In the Lakers' preseason game against the Portland Trail Blazers on Wednesday, he made 12 of 24 shots. He's getting past his man and scoring at the rim with both hands.

He might get more chances than you think. The first day the media got a chance to watch assistant coach Eddie Jordan implement the offense with the five starters, there was a noticeable amount of action involving Gasol and World Peace -- with Bryant standing far away from the ball on the other side. "This is an equal-opportunity offense, so Metta's going to get some looks and some touches," Lakers coach Mike Brown says. "We have some things where we'll be able to post up a guy like Metta, post up a guy like Kobe."

Or as World Peace put it, "It's going to be looks. When you're in shape … looks."

That's the way the equation works out in Metta Math.

http://espn.go.com/nba/preview2012/story/_/id/8496730/nba-whole-new-look-los-angeles-lakers-metta-world-peace
"Either you are still a Laker fan, or you never were." -Guru
Sean

Postby Tragic on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:18 am

funkychunky wrote:
GoldenKnight wrote:
Tragic

Postby Weezy on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:23 am

He looks great right now, and while I wouldn't expect him to keep it up at this level, as the 'forgotten' guy in our starting lineup he might be able to have some serious impact this season. The physical shape he is in is fantastic, it's made him better on offense than he's looked in years, and his defense will most likely be as fierce as always.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:33 am

Haven't been paying much attention to Pre-season, but has MWP looked that good? If so that's great. :jam2:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Weezy on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Haven't been paying much attention to Pre-season, but has MWP looked that good? If so that's great. :jam2:

Yes, he has, he's probably been our most consistent player so far, but it's only 3 games in I hope he can keep it up.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:26 pm

Yeah I don't expect him to have a FG% of 50 from the field let alone from deep, but his shot does look a LOT smoother. The release is much nicer, the flow is there.

I expect him to do great things this season. I'd love to see him back on an All-Defensive team and not worry about scoring his points.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:33 pm

Weezy wrote:
Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Haven't been paying much attention to Pre-season, but has MWP looked that good? If so that's great. :jam2:

Yes, he has, he's probably been our most consistent player so far, but it's only 3 games in I hope he can keep it up.

Great to hear. Hopefully he keeps it up. If he does it's really hard to imagine anyone beating us in a seven game series.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby karacha on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:05 pm

Let's just say he kind of looked like the best player on the team.

His "fast break" layups still suck though. :man10:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:27 pm

karacha wrote:

That's because he dunks them now. :man1:
XXIV

Postby kray28 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:37 pm

Ron is really one of the big bright spots on this team for me right now, I am really happy that he's coming in like this.

Just great to see.
kray28

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:53 pm

karacha wrote:

At least this time he misses because he's pushing 1 on 3. Before he'd be 1 on 1, 2 on 1, or 1 on 0 and he'd struggle on the break.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:46 pm

Ron Ron getting a late night work out in

JSM

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:27 pm

Keep it up Ron, thanks for the picture share JSM
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:40 pm

In full disclosure I didnt get to watch the last game, but glancing at the box score, these are the offensive play that I hope Ron comes to avoid this season. When you're built like he is (and apparently close to as mobile as ever), no need to bail out your defender by shooting long jumpers unless your feeling it.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:09 am

^ The last game was easily the worst he's played so far this pre-season. He made poor decisions, took poor shots, and made zero adjustments. He was of course good defensively, but offensively he looked way more like "start-of-the-2012-season" Ron.

I think he felt like he had to pick up some slack with Pau out and it hurt the team. But he'll be fine. Nash played pretty awful too, so there's not too much of a story there.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:30 pm

Brian Kamenetzky of ESPN wrote:
2. World Peace is poised for perhaps his best season in L.A.

Ever watch old-timey baseball footage? Where the players appear to move in double-time? That's Metta right now. At this point last season, he was playing in wet concrete. Now healthy and lighter, MWP is moving at speeds we haven't seen in a while, and he doesn't always seem to know how to deal with the extra gear. It makes for some entertaining moments on the court, good and less good (the best of those a sequence in which Metta eschewed the pass on a 3-on-1 break only to be blocked by the bottom of the rim, a play for which he was roundly mocked on the bench).

While the shooting percentage wasn't great (4-of-12), Metta was a stat stuffer Friday, with 10 points, eight rebounds, three steals, three assists and a block. Given how much attention the other four starters will get this year, MWP will have space to do very good things, and looks like he is in the physical condition to make it happen.
JSM

Postby The Rock on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:32 pm

I think his 3 point shooting and outside shooting is gonna be extremely shaky...Im ok with that as long as he plays D and hustles, deflects balls and plays with intensity like he did in 2009/2010 season

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby karacha on Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:04 pm

He does a lot of things now. He plays defense, his rebounding is better then before, not just because he jumps higher (he does but his vertical still sucks; he was never a big leaper), but because he's more mobile. He forces steals, and while his outside shot is very average, most people would not exactly dare him to shoot, because he actually can hit some threes, especially from the corner. His passing is underrated too.

I really think he's going to have an excellent season.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion