MWPeace Discussion: Big Apple Bound

Re: MWPeace Discussion: likely out for game 4 (pg. 201)

Postby Pig Miller on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:26 pm

i like metta but we can't keep him. it's one of those business decisions that you just feel terrible about, but you know the best thing is the amnesty him.
Pig Miller

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:27 pm

There's just potential at his position. He doesn't bring anything right now that pushes LA to being a contender. He's serviceable and one of my favorite Lakers. But he's also at the ceiling of his abilities. I'm sure there is value in his locker room presence and competitive fire, but is it at a DFish level? If not... Time to get younger.
SpencerHarrison

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:49 am

Metta clowning on loser Barkley will remain the highlight of his season
wcsoldier81

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:17 am

I still think he can help the team if we put athletes around him. If we had a true starting SF & Ron could commit to backup SF/PF minutes, he could expend more energy on defense & that's a role he can thrive in. The question is, will he do what he talked about & opt out so he can sign for less? If he's willing to do that it's hard to say trade or amnesty him. I think he's right there behind Kobe on the list of guys who will give it their all & play with urgency.
lakersin4

Postby KB24 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:31 am

amnesty

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:19 am

therealdeal wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:
therealdeal wrote:He's got to come back for so cheap... will he do it? I don't know. I mean seriously he'd have to come back for 3-4 million tops. That's literally taking a 50% pay cut...

But as soon as he picks up that option you KNOW the Lakers are going to amnesty him.

$3-4M? I love Metta but man, we pay Jordan Hill that much, and MWP won't be half as athletic, young, or useful next year. Don't you think that's a little much for a 7-8th guy in the rotation?

Would YOU take a 50% cut in pay just to stay at the job you're at? I don't know either. I mean obviously I would consider a cut if I knew they would just fire me from my dream job instead... And if I could get the same contract amount over time, I'd consider that...

But to ask him to go from almost 8 million guaranteed to... almost 2 million a year for a couple of years...

I doubt he likes LA THAT much.

He got that $8M deal in summer 2009. It's 4 years later. Just like when we gave Pau his deal we hadn't foreseen a) the drop in production and b)the harsh new CBA.

Like I said, he's not a great defender anymore, is offensively challenged, and can't really start for us. It's not about what he WOULD do...it's about whether other teams think he's worth $3-4M which I find hard to believe, ESPECIALLY after the knee injury.

I don't know what Metta is thinking but I know that he is the #1 option for amnesty. So either he gets amnestied and can't stay in LA and takes another deal somewhere else, or yeah, he loves LA THAT much. If there's any hope....players usually don't come out and publicly say they're willing to take less. Guess we'll see.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:21 am

I know what you're saying, but I just don't know if he'd do that. That's pretty insulting from Metta's end contractually. We'll see.

From OUR perspective you're absolutely right. From Metta's, I think he'll feel like he's being given the short end.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:26 am

Yeah, it really comes down to whether the money means a lot to him. From his end if he gets amnestied he can still earn his paycheck AND go play somewhere else. So you're right, he REALLY has to love LA for that to happen.
Chillbongo

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:31 am

He's gotten progressively worse as the years have gone on since he's been with the Lakers. Cut ties a year early, instead of holding onto him with another guaranteed deal.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Helljumper on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:42 pm

His comments in the exit interview were telling. He talked about how Dwight was given more responsibility than he deserved and that the team should've been more Kobe/Pau-centric. He pretty much said that the new ringless guys need to shut up and let himself, Kobe, and Pau lead the way.

We need to either bring Phil back or we need to make a clean split from the holdovers from his championship teams (other than Kobe of course). Whether you like D'antoni or not, if he's going to be our coach, we need to give him a roster that can play his system. We NEED an identity. The typical D'antoni identity didn't work out this year with Metta and Pau getting heavy minutes, and only two great shooters (Nash/Blake) on the team. We had to resort to Kobe/Pau ball at the end of the season, and while it was successful, it was more of an on-the-fly adjustment to how defenses would play Kobe in his new playmaking role. Forcing the offense to run through their hands again won't be able to work for a full season. Pau's too inconsistent and Kobe's health is a question mark. The Kobe/Pau-centric offense is a remnant of Phil's coaching strategies. Run the offense through the post and then let the elite perimeter player do his thing. But if we're not going to get a coach that is a mastermind behind that type of offense, we need a roster that completely suits the philosophy of whatever coach we have. Metta and Pau are still useful players with championship experience and a good locker-room presence (when things are going Pau's way). But their reputation pretty much will guarantee them extensive minutes in whatever team's rotation they're in. And we can't continue going through significant stretches of the game where we're unable to run the offense that the coach wants just because we're forced to pencil Metta/Pau into the rotation.

I don't want Metta back. Not even for $2 million/year.
Helljumper

Postby JSM on Thu May 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Mark Medina of the LA Daily News wrote:This is the fifth in a series grading the Lakers’ efforts on their 2012-13 season.

Player: Metta World Peace, Lakers forward

How he performed: 12.4 points on 40.3 percent shooting, 5 rebounds and 1.6 steals in 33.7 minutes per game in the regular season; 6 points on 25 percent shooting, 3.7 rebounds and .7 steals in 28 minutes per game in the playoffs.

The Good: World Peace posted his strongest numbers in his four seasons with the Lakers and also became one of their most consistent players mostly because of his offseason conditioning. That effort mostly entailed improving his diet (lots of protein, nuts, vegatables and little sugar) and frequent offseason workouts. As a result, World Peace looked a lot more comfortable attacking the basket. The stronger conditioning gave him better shooting balance, allowing him to shoot at least 50 percent from three-point range in 25 games. And if even if none of the efforts ever looked pretty, but World Peace also managed to throw down some dunks.

Such a work ethic also earned plenty of respect within the Lakers, as he was no longer seen as just the unpredictable goofball. So much that Kobe Bryant encouraged World Peace to take on a larger leadership role. World Peace appeared in a strong position to carry such a responsibility since he consistently provided energy and always supported his teammates. The results hardly translated, but the Lakers also respected World Peace’s ability to return to the lineup after only missing seven games following surgery to repair torn cartilage in his left knee.

The Bad:World Peace’s strong play immediately evaporated, however, once he suffered a torn lateral meniscus tear in his left knee in the Lakers’ loss March 25 to the Golden State Warriors. He self-admittedly returned too early into the lineup, showing noticeable struggles with his shooting accuracy, mobility and energy level. Basically everything.

But some of World Peace’s weaknesses went beyond an injury limiting him. Even when he was healthy, World Peace showed that his improved conditioning came at the expense of lacking enough strength to guard the NBA’s elite players. World Peace did very little in making things stopping elite players, such as Miami’s LeBron James (35.5 points per game on 67.4 percent shooting) and Oklahoma City’s Kevin Durant (34.75 points on 48.9 percent shooting). Although he held New York’s Carmelo Anthony on Christmas Day to a 2 of 11 clip, World Peace couldn’t guard Anthony in New York when he busted open with 30 points two weeks earlier.

As has been the case in his four seasons with the Lakers, World Peace also demonstrated shaky shot selection. Far too often, World Peace opted for a three-pointer early in the shot clock instead of finding the open man. In related news, World Peace shot at least 20 percent or worse from three-point range in 26 games.

Grade: C+ World Peace’s effort ensured mostly consistent performances despite ongoing weaknesses in shot selection. But that mindset couldn’t overcome a serious injury that he admittedly wasn’t ready physically to handle.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby GoldenKnight on Thu May 09, 2013 9:03 pm

I really hope he gives us a break by leaving, I appreciate his championship run performance but he has been in rapid decline ever since.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Thu May 09, 2013 9:04 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:I really hope he gives us a break by leaving, I appreciate his championship run performance but he has been in rapid decline ever since.

He would have done us a favor by opting out of his contract, but his brother forced him not to do it.... so the amnesty clause is our only chance to get rid of the dead-weight known as MWP.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby lakersin4 on Thu May 09, 2013 10:29 pm

I think he could be traded if he's packaged with another player of value.. If we trade Hill or S&T Earl I think we could package MWP.. If Indiana loses West, maybe they take on S&T Earl + Ron for Granger? I could see that working out for both teams. Granger would really bring balance to our roster & Indy fills the 2 holes created with good defenders that play the positions they need depth at. Hill/George/MWP/Clark/Hibbert.. I'm sure Vogel makes that remain one of the top defenses in the league.

Nash/24/Granger/Pau/D12

Yeah we lose our young guy Earl & take on another injury prone player but you look at that starting lineup & say wow, if they play a full season together that's the best team in the league.
lakersin4

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue May 14, 2013 1:01 pm

I heard Mark Medina was on the radio with Max & Rick Fox yesterday, and stated the Lakers have informed MWP that he's going to be amnestied. Anybody hear anything similar or have a link?
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Weezy on Tue May 14, 2013 1:15 pm

I didn't hear that, but I hope it's true, it's time to part ways.

*edit* I found the poster quoting this on LG,

No sense that the Lakers are going to use the amnesty on Pau Gasol. They will only move him if it's a blockbuster trade, but they won't move him just for a salary dump.

Metta World Peace's last days are coming via amnesty. He's been told recently to opt-in because Lakers will still pay him the $7.7 million left of his contract if he gets amnestied.

Shame about the Pau bit if true, there is no blockbuster trade for Pau that I can see, Lakers are either just putting that out there or are delusional.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue May 14, 2013 2:08 pm

^^^ The only way keeping Pau would be acceptable would be if....

1.) We got a new starting SF and backup SF (MWP and Ebanks are both trash at this point)
2.) A new backup SG (Meeks is garbage and expecting him to play better next season is a joke)
3.) We get a new starting or backup PG (Nash/Blake are NOT playing 48 minutes for 82 games, expecting them to be healthy and play a full 82 is almost as a big of a joke as Meeks being a solid backup next season)

Otherwise we are just going into next season riding a bunch of excuses the FO is trying to feed us at this point.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue May 14, 2013 2:18 pm

Weezy wrote:I didn't hear that, but I hope it's true, it's time to part ways.

*edit* I found the poster quoting this on LG,

No sense that the Lakers are going to use the amnesty on Pau Gasol. They will only move him if it's a blockbuster trade, but they won't move him just for a salary dump.

Metta World Peace's last days are coming via amnesty. He's been told recently to opt-in because Lakers will still pay him the $7.7 million left of his contract if he gets amnestied.

Shame about the Pau bit if true, there is no blockbuster trade for Pau that I can see, Lakers are either just putting that out there or are delusional.

Thanks. That's good news. I do hope Metta lands on his feet, though.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 14, 2013 2:41 pm

Doc Brown wrote:^^^ The only way keeping Pau would be acceptable would be if....

1.) We got a new starting SF and backup SF (MWP and Ebanks are both trash at this point)
2.) A new backup SG (Meeks is garbage and expecting him to play better next season is a joke)
3.) We get a new starting or backup PG (Nash/Blake are NOT playing 48 minutes for 82 games, expecting them to be healthy and play a full 82 is almost as a big of a joke as Meeks being a solid backup next season)

Otherwise we are just going into next season riding a bunch of excuses the FO is trying to feed us at this point.

Hm...

1. Carlos Delfino and Anthony Morrow?
2. Douglas-Roberts?
3. DJ Augustin?

Would that be enough to keep Gasol around?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Tue May 14, 2013 2:54 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:^^^ The only way keeping Pau would be acceptable would be if....

Hm...

2. Douglas-Roberts?
3. DJ Augustin?

I have a VERY strong feeling that we're not going to go after any PGs. We're gonna roll with Nash, Blake, and Morris for when (imminent) the first two get injured.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Chillbongo on Tue May 14, 2013 2:58 pm

therealdeal wrote:

Hm...

2. Douglas-Roberts?
3. DJ Augustin?

I don't know how we do #1 without moving someone. Unless we count on that guy to be Earl Clark.

IMO we can only get one out of CDR and Augustin. I like both but take Augustin because he has Playoff experience.

Barbosa can be our backup SG. Not young but he's quick. Doesn't play D but can score. I'd take CDR over Barbosa but CDR won't take the minimum, Barbosa will. Keep Gl0ck in some capacity as well....even if it means letting Meeks go. We need to see what happens with Kobe first.

So keeping Pau depends on Earl taking his game to the next level. Or trading Nash, which I've come to accept is probably not happening even though it should.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Punk- I agree actually.

Chill- Both of those guys sign for the minimum and we amnesty Artest and let go of Ebanks. CDR didn't even get a guaranteed contract last season, he can be had for the minimum. Augustin would have to be gotten likely for the mini-MLE. Barbosa is a different story.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue May 14, 2013 3:05 pm

Barbosa - minmum
CDR - minimum
Augustin - mini MLE

Chill is down
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 14, 2013 3:11 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Barbosa - minmum
CDR - minimum
Augustin - mini MLE

Chill is down

So your team next season would be:

Nash/Augustin/Blake
Bryant/(Blake) Douglas-Roberts
Delfino/Morrow
Gasol/Clark
Howard/Hill

Or would you make more moves?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue May 14, 2013 3:24 pm

Delfiono/Morrow makes me nervous. I suppose Delfino could fill a hole at the 3, but IMO why not just have Clark start at that point? I expect him to work his a** off and improve and be somewhat of what he was during that 2 month stretch.

Nash/Augustin/Gl0ck
Bryant/Blake/CDR
Clark/vet min (Matt Barnes, Chase Budinger)
Gasol/vet min (Blatche, Almudson, Turiaf, Birdman-- yeah right)
Howard/Hill

What if we go small?

Nash/Augustin/Gl0ck
Blake/Meeks/CDR
Bryant/Clark/vet min (Matt Barnes, Chase Budinger)
Gasol/Clark/vet min (Blatche, Almudson, Turiaf, Birdman-- yeah right)
Howard/Hill

If CDR/Augustin/Gl0ck perform, we can move Blake for a backup SF.
Chillbongo

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion