MWPeace Discussion: Big Apple Bound

Re: Ron Artest Appreciation Thread

Postby DMK on Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:04 am

Starting to find his niche in the team. Having the bigs out is tough no doubt, but good thing we have Rhino.

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby ZenMaster4President on Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:25 am

The Rock wrote:lmao im gonna make fun of him for blowing that easy dunk and gettin blocked by the rim :man10:

man this guy is a great fit to this team wow. I knew he was a good passer but I didn't know he was THIS UNSELFISH. Really opened my eyes.

Think about it - passing to Drew, Kobe, Lamar, Pau or passing to Battier, Scola or passing to Miller ( was he still there? ), Marting, Garcia etc.

Which of the above would you choose to do more?
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby The Rock on Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:34 am

but still though, he had better teammates in his Indiana days and he still had that reputation for massaging the hell out of the ball and he did sometimes. The dramatic change in attitude in approaching the game is amazing. so far he has followed through on everything he has talked about.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby leftymo on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:01 am

His value will come against elite teams when we will have Ron Artest matched up against guys like Brandon Roy, Lebron James, Paul Pierce, and Melo...

i DEFINITELY appreciate Ron Artest...
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.
leftymo

Location: Scottsdale, AZ. 5 years later, married, 2 kids, 2 Laker Titles

Postby Nashty Gal on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:07 am

The Rock wrote:lmao im gonna make fun of him for blowing that easy dunk and gettin blocked by the rim :man10:

ahaha me too! but he definitely made up for that one lol

Ron Ron' getting comfy :man1:
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby Ras Algethi on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:58 am

:man10:

The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerPride247 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:38 am

Here's a play I saw him make during the Memphis game tonight. The score was 89 to 79 and Artest missed a shot that was pretty easy. The ball was moved up the floor quickly and he hustled back to the defensive end. Right as he gets to the 3-point line he slows up and anticipates that the pass is going to go to the wing. He slows up just enough for the Grizzly making the pass not to see him coming from behind and he steps in to get the steal and throws it ahead to Powell for an easy break-away slam. In the overall scheme of things a hustle play against Memphis won't be remembered, but what I took away from that sequence is that Artest has very, very good court awareness. He had to have that to be able to anticipate that pass.
“This contract with Joel Anthony is a testament to the man who is second to none; who has worked hard and deserved this,” said Heat President Pat Riley. “We felt that what he has done over the last couple of years in developing his game, his body and his knowledge warrants this reward. If other NBA non-drafted free agents want a prototype to follow, Joel Anthony is that man."

Heat President/Acid abuser Pat Riley
LakerPride247

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:13 am

I did not know how good of a passer he is .... that's a huge upgrade over Ariza who cannot pass the ball to save his life . It will facilitate Kobe , Pau and Drew life in the post as entries passes will be better
wcsoldier81

Postby hollywood swinger on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:24 am

“We don’t really know the identity of the team right now,” Artest said. “We’re driving without a license—no identity. We’re like ‘The Bourne Ultimatum.”’

you gotta love that qoute. :man10: in other words we don't know how we are doing it but if you put us in a room outnumbered we just kick butt & get the job done no matter what it takes, because you can't stop us.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby Lakers323342 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:48 am

I told you guys it will take Artest until sometime in Nov. to get into things.
Lakers323342

Postby karacha on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:44 am

That's all.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:40 am

The "Rhino" nickname has been heaped on the Clippers' forward Craig Smith since he has injured or nailed several players on his own team. Artest has some finesse that doesn't befit giving him that moniker though he has been described as a "bully ball" player.

Mr. Never A Dull Moment is still integrating himself on the floor with the squad. Hesitant on offense but still his same stalwart self on defense. Off the court has been nothing but entertainment. Further work will be needed when The Spaniard and The Kid come back to the starting lineup. The Socialite is needed to stabilize the second unit.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:39 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:I did not know how good of a passer he is .... that's a huge upgrade over Ariza who cannot pass the ball to save his life . It will facilitate Kobe , Pau and Drew life in the post as entries passes will be better

^^^^ This!!!! This is what I've been so impressed by as well. I knew that it would be a big difference from Ariza just as you said. Last year's offense with the twin towers never looked that good to me, not just because Bynum was recovering from injury but because no one other than Kobe could actually get the ball into the post. And there were two 7 footers who needed the ball!

Artest is passing better than I ever imagined. He's also a much smarter ball player than I've ever imagined. Of course I loved his defense and I coveted the fact that he was an All Star level two way player at SF. But maybe because of his suspect shot selection, I didn't realize how smart a guy he is. Not that Trevor wasn't. Trevor, too, was such a smart, opportunistic player especially on D. But it's great to see Ron a part of this team and very concerned about being a passer in an offense that features passing so prominently.

Ron's a heck of a fit. I knew he would be. I have wanted him here since he was first traded from Indy as so many other fans have. But now that he's here I see his passing is at a higher level than I knew, and he's got great intelligence. I was amazed at what a well spoken and thoughtful guy he is from his signing interviews and since. I always admired his intensity (as in the words of Tenacious D!), hard-nosed D and ability to create offense, but his passing and rebounding and his high intelligence are gifts that really make him fit extremely well with this team and Phil's system.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:46 am

anyone have his postgame interview from last night? link?

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:58 am

Steal and great full court pass:

Ron can do this every night, unlike some of our players who tend to get timid and/or lose focus every other game.
Derek Fisher is the heart and soul of this team- Kobe(Black Mamba)
When we win it, it's going to taste much sweeter knowing I played with the injury- Andrew(Lionheart)
Tomorrow is another opportunity to accomplish great things- Pau(Pauwer)
Ron Artest is the Game 7 MVP- Phil(Zen Master)
Q:Pierce says series isn't coming back to LA? A: [Mean Stare]- Derek(President)
If we don't win the championship, it's my fault- Ron(Tru Warier)
ShaqDieselLaker

Location: Sorry Boston, the championship trophy belongs in LA

Postby LakerFlyer on Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:04 pm

IMHO, the biggest contributions that Artest makes to the Lakers is twofold: one, the freedom that he brings to kobe's game when they are on the floor together (mainly, he Ds up on guys that previously would have been guarded by KB, and he demands that the opposing SF guards Artest and NOT Kobe), and the fact that he can be left on the floor with a lineup of subs, and can effectively be the 1st option on O, and guard the 2, 3 or 4 on D. Amazing.

Go Lakers!
LakerFlyer

Postby MadMax on Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:13 pm

Ras Algethi wrote::man10:

MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:26 pm

LakerFlyer wrote:IMHO, the biggest contributions that Artest makes to the Lakers is twofold: one, the freedom that he brings to kobe's game when they are on the floor together (mainly, he Ds up on guys that previously would have been guarded by KB, and he demands that the opposing SF guards Artest and NOT Kobe), and the fact that he can be left on the floor with a lineup of subs, and can effectively be the 1st option on O, and guard the 2, 3 or 4 on D. Amazing.

Go Lakers!

^^^ Very true. While Ariza was a fantastic off ball/team defender - he really wasn't the best man on defender. That's where Artest shines. He's just so daunting out there on that end of the court. Having him guard guys like Lebronze, Pierce and Carmelo will be so important come playoffs, and in the meantime it means that Kobe won't get worn out this season.

And like you said, he's just as classic a two-way player as you will ever find. It makes him invaluable. He is always a threat to score and he's a former DPOY. That combination makes him the perfect complimentary player to Kobe who is also a hell of a defender.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby sina on Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:27 pm

Ron looks like another Pippen in making. If he can fit in the role as a pointv forward successfully, he can free Kobe from the ball and allow Kobe to break the defense also with off-ball movement. With Kobe's knowledge and experience, it will make Lakers' offense even more unstoppable.
sina

Postby gill on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:30 pm

The man is exactly what the team needs and what Kobe has been missing all these years since Snaq left: a forward that can handle the ball, take over when he's on the bench, and of course the TOUGHNESS that he brings every night. I'm glad this man is finally on Kobe's side after all the failed attempts to get him here.

I also admire how he's kept himself in control so far this season, and how he's letting the offense come to him. The play on the defensive end is just simply amazing!

KEEP IT UP RON! :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
gill

Postby icencream27 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:30 pm

sina wrote:Ron looks like another Pippen in making. If he can fit in the role as a pointv forward successfully, he can free Kobe from the ball and allow Kobe to break the defense also with off-ball movement. With Kobe's knowledge and experience, it will make Lakers' offense even more unstoppable.

exactly what i was thinking yesterday while watching the game. Ron is like Pippen in sense. He'll guard the teams best player. He can be depended on to provide 15-17 a game and he has above average handles. He's a tough customer.

The only thing i dislike right now about Artest right now is when he's posting up, he needs to finish those shots close to the rim. When he makes his move he cant finish when its clearly a easy layup

ONLY KINGS HAVE RINGS
icencream27

Postby Dazed on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:32 pm

Keep bringing it Ron, you got this! :jam2:
“I will find humor in my everyday life by looking for people I can laugh at”
Dazed

Postby Ras Algethi on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:54 pm

The Rock wrote:anyone have his postgame interview from last night? link?

The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Nashty Gal on Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:15 pm

^ thanks
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:12 pm

i loled when they showed him eating an apple on the bench before the game
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion