MWPeace Discussion: Big Apple Bound

Re: Metta World Peace Discussion

Postby The Rock on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:06 am

Really encouraged to see Ron put in work in the offseason and look in tip top shape but Im sorry he needs to be mentally engaged and he needs to fit with what we're doing here. 2010 start of the season coming off the championship he was in top shape like he is right now and had a pretty bad year. Need him ready physically and mentally and with an edge/intensity like he had in 2009/2010. He cant be distracted

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:23 am

LTLakerFan wrote:
Seriously we may see Metta have a year like he hasn't matched defensively and overall impact wise including contributing on offense when needed......since his couple of best years in Indiana. In spite of a lot of strong years in between. I just think of how pumped on adrenaline he was with own his performance getting back to Ron of old finally late last year, unfortunately just as Harden ran into his elbow by accident.... :man12:

But man I'm lovin' Jamison! :jam2: :bow: This guy is as well spoken as D. Fish and will probably have a lot of that same leadership quality in the locker room plus be a great contributor on the court. The Wand!!!

I think Ron is actually a pretty reliable shooter in the clutch, but throughout the rest of the game it seems like sometimes he's just flinging the ball at the rim. I think if he can be in shape and stay focused like he was towards the end of last season, we're going to be unstoppable. We'll have 3 guys that change the game offensively every night and 2 guys that change the tone defensively every night.

As for Jamison, I'm also loving his attitude. I hope it translates to on court production. We really need his offense off the bench to keep teams working when we rest some of our starters. I think he's going to be a great leader for our bench and I agree that he shows a lot of great leadership qualities. I don't know if he's Derek Fisher because Derek has the experience that Antawn doesn't. One of the reasons Fish was a great leader was because he'd been there and he knew what it was like so guys trusted him. Hopefully Jamison can bring some of that calm too even if he hasn't won a Championship yet.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Azndude2190 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:34 am

It's good that Metta is training hard, we need him at his optimum level in order to guard KD and LBJ.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby JSM on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:51 am

He toured the new Time Warner studio:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 569&type=1

JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:45 am

Click through some of the pics. There's one where it looks like he's got Popeye arms. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby juninho on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:14 am

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Several NBA people who've been watching Metta World Peace work in L.A. insist he's in the best physical shape they've seen him in years.

i'm excited
juninho

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:36 am

Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:41 am

man every interview or quote from other players on metta really show how amazed they are by how hes looking and playing right now. he really must be a completely different player bc jaminson seems truly amazed and in awe at hows mettas been doing so far compared to past years.
Ariza3

Postby last stand on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:42 am

i'm glad our guys are all locked in. our whole starting 5 seems to be on a mission
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:54 am

Definitely great to see Ron Ron in shape. I thought he would be. I'm looking forward to more of what we saw toward the end of the regular season last year. A healthy Artest who isn't fighting that nerve issue is awesome. He's such a monster defender and he can contribute on the offensive end as well. As everyone said, if he stays focused it's trouble for everyone else. Just don't fall for any more of Harden's shenanigans - :man10:

Count me in, too, as being incredibly impressed with Antawn Jamison. I've always liked his game and I'm thrilled he's on our team. The guy can just flat out impact the game when he wants to. He's the perfect kind of veteran to anchor our second unit. He's unselfish, but he knows when to get his own. When he's determined he's very difficult to stop.

I didn't realize he had played with Blake as well. I see that as a big plus. Blake knows he can set him up and where he likes the ball. Cool to hear him talk about Jodie Meeks as well. I really like our bench additions this year. Here's hoping that Jordan Hill's production last year wasn't just a contract thing - if he brings it like he did we are in very good shape. The one question mark is Ebanks, but I'm hoping that he makes the most of his opportunity at backup 3.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:19 pm

Jamison also looks fantastic. Keep in mind he's not exactly young, but he's definitely in shape and his jumper is money.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:22 pm

It's five days until Training Camp, not 15.

Confused me there for a sec....
kray28

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:32 pm

You know this is a highly anticipated season, when you are super stoked to see how Ron is going to come out and play this year, considering all of the positive statements/photos that have come out about him this offseason......

But it still ranks behind seeing D12/Nash, our new bench, Kobe and seeing this new offense. :man10:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:35 pm

kray28 wrote:It's five days until Training Camp, not 15.

Confused me there for a sec....

His "1" is in black and white, while "5" is in color.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:44 pm

Hey that's effing great he got a tour of their new facility. Good to see it looks top notch and I expect s.o.t.a. cameras and gear from them. But seriously someone tweet Metta and tell him he and Kobe and Nash and Howard have to do some lobbying and helping all their loyal fans with the looming TV blackout issue that is a little more than a week away......for the first time ever since they started covering pre-season. Not to mention all the DOPE TW programming that no one bleeping has excxept in certain areas. To TW and all Major Provider executives....rapping on their collective heads, "Hello.... McFly!!!"

I'm serious we need to start hitting the players up and banging on them for help. Metta is the kind of dude that would rally behind that cause, I think. I don't tweet. :dunce:
Last edited by LTLakerFan on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:45 pm

I'm ecstatic to hear all of the things I'm hearing around camp and around this team. Our bench seems excited to be there and excited to play with these guys. Guys all seem to be excited to fill their roles and to contribute to the team in the best way. I love what I'm hearing about Jamison and from Jamison himself. He commented on Meeks, Hill, and Blake positively which is important because those guys are going to be leaned on a lot this season.

But obviously everything we're hearing about Metta has been fantastic. If he can come out focused and in shape the rest of the league really is on notice. We've already got an advantage almost every night at 4 positions on the floor. If Metta can make it 5 just on SOME nights... we're going to be winning a lot of games. One of the top 5 things I'm looking forward to this season is how Metta and Dwight change the game defensively EVERY NIGHT.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:05 pm

Mark Medina of the LA Times wrote:Over and over again, Lakers forward Metta World Peace kept bullying his way into the post.

He moved quickly. He positioned himself using his solid frame. He caught the entry passes and threw a medicine ball in the basket with purpose. Throughout the whole routine, Lakers assistant coach Darvin Ham instructed World Peace on how to better angle himself in the post.

World Peace's workout last week at the Lakers' practice facility in El Segundo appeared nothing more than what you'd normally see just before training camp starts. But that still marks an accomplishment for World Peace.

Last year, he reported to camp weighing 268 pounds and with a nerve problem in his back. Because the Lakers' training staff couldn't work with the players during the NBA lockout, World Peace feared any outside medical help or additional practice could aggravate his injury. Hence, he spent training camp and the beginning of the NBA season working his way back into shape after the staff treated his injury.

That won't be an issue for the 2012-13 campaign.

World Peace has said he's held his weight to around 255 pounds during the off-season. When I watched him work out in July at UCLA and last week at the Lakers' facility, he appeared more mobile.

Of course, that doesn't guarantee World Peace will have a miraculous season.

After averaging a career-low 7.7 points on 39.4% shooting last season, World Peace will have to prove he can hit outside shots with consistency. And with the Lakers featuring a star-studded lineup of Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and Pau Gasol, he will somehow have to carve out an offensive niche by scoring off hustle points.

He'll also have to prevent what may be a diminished offensive role from detracting his focus, and ensure he's in control of his emotions -- something he failed to do when he gave Oklahoma City guard James Harden a concussion after delivering a vicious elbow.

On the other hand, World Peace's improved physical condition should help in a lot of areas.

He appears to be in a better position to make elite scorers such as LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony work harder for their points. They may still win the one-on-one matchups, but it shouldn't be as lopsided as in the past.

World Peace will likely have more spring in his legs when he, for better or worse, launches shots from three-point range. If he has opportunities to work in the post, he should have an easier time using his quickness and strength to set himself up for easy baskets.

And don't be surprised if World Peace still manages to throw down a few dunks again too.

How this will play out remains to be seen. World Peace, after all, excels at being unpredictable.

But if this latest snapshot is any indication, World Peace's strong conditioning this off-season should have the Lakers feeling optimistic that their eccentric forward will give them plenty to celebrate when he steps on the court.

Click the link to see MWP's 4 minute practice session with Ham
JSM

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:16 am

looks good. some of those moves will be great for him when dwight isnt in so hes got space otherwise hell just get fouled
Ariza3

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:22 am

^^Good Video! Plus I think that might be a medicine ball he was doing all of those drills with because the way it was bouncing didn't seem normal
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Metta Looks In Good Shape During Recent Workout

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:36 am

Metta Looks In Good Shape During Recent Workout

By Mark Medina
September 26, 2012, 1:05 p.m.

Over and over again, Lakers forward Metta World Peace kept bullying his way into the post.

He moved quickly. He positioned himself using his solid frame. He caught the entry passes and threw a medicine ball in the basket with purpose. Throughout the whole routine, Lakers assistant coach Darvin Ham instructed World Peace on how to better angle himself in the post.

World Peace's workout last week at the Lakers' practice facility in El Segundo appeared nothing more than what you'd normally see just before training camp starts. But that still marks an accomplishment for World Peace.

Last year, he reported to camp weighing 268 pounds and with a nerve problem in his back. Because the Lakers' training staff couldn't work with the players during the NBA lockout, World Peace feared any outside medical help or additional practice could aggravate his injury. Hence, he spent training camp and the beginning of the NBA season working his way back into shape after the staff treated his injury.

That won't be an issue for the 2012-13 campaign.

World Peace has said he's held his weight to around 255 pounds during the off-season. When I watched him work out in July at UCLA and last week at the Lakers' facility, he appeared more mobile.

Of course, that doesn't guarantee World Peace will have a miraculous season.

After averaging a career-low 7.7 points on 39.4% shooting last season, World Peace will have to prove he can hit outside shots with consistency. And with the Lakers featuring a star-studded lineup of Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and Pau Gasol, he will somehow have to carve out an offensive niche by scoring off hustle points.

He'll also have to prevent what may be a diminished offensive role from detracting his focus, and ensure he's in control of his emotions -- something he failed to do when he gave Oklahoma City guard James Harden a concussion after delivering a vicious elbow.

On the other hand, World Peace's improved physical condition should help in a lot of areas.

He appears to be in a better position to make elite scorers such as LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony work harder for their points. They may still win the one-on-one matchups, but it shouldn't be as lopsided as in the past.

World Peace will likely have more spring in his legs when he, for better or worse, launches shots from three-point range. If he has opportunities to work in the post, he should have an easier time using his quickness and strength to set himself up for easy baskets.

And don't be surprised if World Peace still manages to throw down a few dunks again too.

How this will play out remains to be seen. World Peace, after all, excels at being unpredictable.

But if this latest snapshot is any indication, World Peace's strong conditioning this off-season should have the Lakers feeling optimistic that their eccentric forward will give them plenty to celebrate when he steps on the court.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... ?track=rss
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:40 am

For whatever reason I can't open the link, can anyone help me by posting the video by iself or is that not possible?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:43 am

JSM

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:47 am

World Peace is gonna have to make a huge impact this season. He's gonna need to hit open shots and do a good job defensively.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:06 am

JSM... you are a legendary hero comparable to Thor or Moses.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nthydro on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:30 am

Metta looks like he jumped in a time machine :man10:
nthydro

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion