MWPeace Discussion: Big Apple Bound

Re: Ron Artest Appreciation Thread

Postby GNC on Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:22 am

JSM wrote:
RHCP wrote:Does any body know where I can get those "boxer" shorts that Artest was wearing on Kimmel?

I'm guessing the top drawer of his dresser.

:man10: :man10: :man10:
GNC

Postby gcclaker on Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:41 am

RHCP wrote:Does any body know where I can get those "boxer" shorts that Artest was wearing on Kimmel?

Twitter him... He is quite affable it seems. Who knows, he just might give you that particular one. :man12:
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Shannon's Girl on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:31 pm

RON RON impressed the hell outta me tonight <3
His steals were sweetttttt :jam2:
Image Image
Shannon's Girl

Postby DMK on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:39 pm

His defense tonight was what took the suns out of their runs and led to better offense for us on the other end.

Very nice indeed. :jam2:

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby karacha on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:40 pm

Great defense, in addition to being a #2 scorer today. I just love the defensive intensity, the whole team is automatically better. Also, him and Pau definitely have terrific chemistry on the court.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:47 pm

I must say, Ron is probably worse at attacking the basket than Derek Fisher.

He always expects the call and never gets it. And because of his size and general lack of leaping ability, he really struggles to get the ball in the hoop...

However, his three point shooting was fantastic today. And his defense was jaw dropping. :man4: If he can play with that sort of defensive intensity all season, the league is in trouble.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerdynastyforever on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:55 pm

The Ron Artest experiment so far has been amazing. He's actually too unselifsh at times. How many could've predicted that before the season started? Artest's true value won't be realized until we are in the playoffs and he's guarding the likes of Melo, Pierce, LeBron, etc.
Most teams consider going to the playoffs a success. Other teams hang up banners of division and conference titles on their stadium walls. In Laker Land, it's championship or bust. If we were to hang up every division/conference title we won, there wouldn't be enough room on the walls of Staples Center.
lakerdynastyforever

Postby Shannon's Girl on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:55 pm

therealdeal wrote:However, his three point shooting was fantastic today. And his defense was jaw dropping. :man4: If he can play with that sort of defensive intensity all season, the league is in trouble.

:bow:
Image Image
Shannon's Girl

Postby gcclaker on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:08 am

therealdeal wrote:I must say, Ron is probably worse at attacking the basket than Derek Fisher.

Well I wouldn't go THAT far but I do see your point...[grin].

therealdeal wrote:He always expects the call and never gets it. And because of his size and general lack of leaping ability, he really struggles to get the ball in the hoop...

Artest initiates contact and more often than not he does get the call. He does play his style of "bully ball" very well. Artest can power a through one on one coverage in the paint. With his low center of gravity and that big caboose he is difficult to move off his sweet spot. Artest is quite crafty in getting the shot off in traffic and can shoot with either hand.

therealdeal wrote:However, his three point shooting was fantastic today. And his defense was jaw dropping. :man4: If he can play with that sort of defensive intensity all season, the league is in trouble.

Agree... His free throw shooting was good too. What is impressive is his five steals. Artest has such quick strong hands with excellent anticipation. He throroughly smothered Hill and Richardson when he covered him for Bryant... I don't think Artest is the type to take nights off from what I have seen. He knows what this squad needs which he provides on a consistent basis thus far.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:26 am

^ I agree with everything you posted. The first point was a joke, although over the last two games he's had a of trouble around the basket. He's shot 4-17 and 4-11 over the last two games. Not good.

And I certainly agree with your last point. He had so much energy last night, it sort of picked up the team. It seemed everyone was willing to just skate through the end of the game, but he made sure to keep he energy up. Great job.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:51 pm

Tim Donaghey named Artest as one of the players targeted by refs for their personality (Rasheed Wallace and Billups were others listed) in his interview. Just thought I'd point that out, might not matter now, but we've seen this happen in the past, like in last year's playoffs Ron was reffed more strictly against us.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:57 pm

Weezy wrote:Tim Donaghey named Artest as one of the players targeted by refs for their personality (Rasheed Wallace and Billups were others listed) in his interview. Just thought I'd point that out, might not matter now, but we've seen this happen in the past, like in last year's playoffs Ron was reffed more strictly against us.

There is a certainly a grain of truth there based on rep alone. What would be alarming is that if it is administered in the postseason without objectivity on the crew's part. Will they allow him to be physical enough wherein there is nothing over the line really happening? The Wallace mention is not surprising but I am confounded as to Billups being included. I figured emotional boneheads like Kenyon Martin and J.R. [My Name Was Earl] Smith would be up there.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:00 pm

gcclaker wrote:
Weezy wrote:Tim Donaghey named Artest as one of the players targeted by refs for their personality (Rasheed Wallace and Billups were others listed) in his interview. Just thought I'd point that out, might not matter now, but we've seen this happen in the past, like in last year's playoffs Ron was reffed more strictly against us.

There is a certainly a grain of truth there based on rep alone. What would be alarming is that if it is administered in the postseason without objectivity on the crew's part. Will they allow him to be physical enough wherein there is nothing over the line really happening? The Wallace mention is not surprising but I am confounded as to Billups being included. I figured emotional boneheads like Kenyon Martin and J.R. [My Name Was Earl] Smith would be up there.

The interviewer was surprised about Billups too, but Donaghey said he was one of those considered a 'pain in the a**', and he does complain a lot so maybe it's true. But anyway, didn't mean to take this off topic, just hope that Artest's reputation doesn't hurt us in the future in physical games.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:59 pm

Weezy wrote: But anyway, didn't mean to take this off topic, just hope that Artest's reputation doesn't hurt us in the future in physical games.

That was the first thing I was worried about when I read the interview excerpts from that semi-sensational Ron SI interview. Worse than the alcohol talk was the fact that he blasted Joey Crawford. I hated that. Not smart to do that. The NBA/and or Joey might hold onto that and hit us hard when it counts. I can see a physical series with the Thuggets and Ron gets nailed with a bunch of fouls at pivotal points that just totally sink us. Or potentially in the finals when Ron is pitted against Golden Boy Lebronze, or against Paul Pierce. I'll put it this way, I don't think he endeared himself any further to the refs or the NBA powers that be with that latest interview. That kind of bummed me out.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:14 pm

^Good points... I really like Artest as a personality but there are some subjects you CAN'T be too candid about without considering the possible repercussions. Refs are like elephants where they have long memories.

One positive aspect in all of this? Jackson. If there is one coach that can tweak or influence a ref crew prior or after a game, it would be him. I reckon he did quite a bit of it when he had Rodman who was a bigger wacko than The Ronald.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:17 am

I'm amazed with Artest this year so far, for his defense and willingness to take way less shots, but also something that stands out is he does NOT complain to the refs. Whenever he's called for a foul the worst you might see is the natural quick emotional reaction of 'nooo' and then that's it, it's over. He has been a model citizen, I really hope he keeps it up, it's really something to see a player like that never complain the the refs at all.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:21 am

I think it should be quite clear now that any "issues" with Artest, while good food for a media guy to opine about, ain't happening.

Artest IS the defensively glue to our team. Mad props to Ron.
borri

Postby gcclaker on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:24 am

I was laughing along with Lantz watching Brewer trying to keep Artest off the boards tonight. I mean it just wasn't fair. Artest moved him every which way here and there to for some key offensive rebounds. There was one play in the third where the overmatched Brewer tried so hard to keep him from getting the ball yet looked helpless. Only Okur coming off the blind side for a block kept Brewer from embarrasment. Defensively, he also took time to cool off C.J. Miles who got off to a hot shooting start in the first half.

Artest will be needed during tough times in the upcoming 19 road games looming in the horizon. Either he will keep the squad from falling apart by providing the key stops during crucial times or lose his cool when the officiating shackles him with fouls. I am confident it would be the former... Jackson, Bryant and Fisher will keep him focused just in case not that he is not doing a fine job of it so far.
Last edited by gcclaker on Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:01 am

he had trouble getting up :man10: I think he's just a little tired thats alll. get some rest buddy :jam2:

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby KB24 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:30 am

Weezy wrote:I'm amazed with Artest this year so far, for his defense and willingness to take way less shots, but also something that stands out is he does NOT complain to the refs. Whenever he's called for a foul the worst you might see is the natural quick emotional reaction of 'nooo' and then that's it, it's over. He has been a model citizen, I really hope he keeps it up, it's really something to see a player like that never complain the the refs at all.

agree, very refreshing attitude...

especially when you have cry babies like Kobe, Sasha, Bynum and Lamar...they complain and argue and cry about EVERY call that goes the other way. Artest has been showing great attitude. :bow:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby therealdeal on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:10 am

gcclaker wrote:I was laughing along with Lantz watching Brewer trying to keep Artest off the boards tonight. I mean it just wasn't fair. Artest moved him every which way here and there to for some key offensive rebounds. There was one play in the third where the overmatched Brewer tried so hard to keep him from getting the ball yet looked helpless. Only Okur coming off the blind side for a block kept Brewer from embarrasment. Defensively, he also took time to cool off C.J. Miles who got off to a hot shooting start in the first half.

Artest will be needed during tough times in the upcoming 19 road games coming up in the horizon. Either he will keep the squad from falling apart by providing the key stops during crucial times or lose his cool when the officiating shackles him with fouls. I am confident it would be the former... Jackson, Bryant and Fisher will keep him focused just in case not that he is not doing a fine job of it so far.

I think my favorite was watching him box out Brewer on the glass. Sometimes he didn't even have to jump, he just let the ball fall into his lap while Brewer tried to get around him somehow. :man10:

I love what he brings to this team : constant energy and drive. While the other guys may get complacent from time to time, Artest doesn't. This attitude sparks Kobe, which in turn sparks the team. I just love this team's chemisry right now. On basically every level.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:51 am

Ron's energy and hustle has been fantastic all season. He doesn't take a single play off. There might be 10 guys in this league like that...at the most (that's probably a generous number) and when talking about all-star caliber players, that number probably cuts in half.

Anyone else laugh at the replay of Ron's dunk last night? He doesn't stay in the air any longer than he has to. I call it time efficiency. :man10:
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby borri on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:06 pm

One point that was a BIG point of contention in years past on the board was the debate on whether a player's offensive game affects his defensive effort. People were saying that Kobe needs to share the rock to get people involved offensively so that their defensive effort is up to par. I have always said, BULL, there's two sides of playing HOOPS, one part should not affect the other...meaning, even if you aren't involved offensively or aren't doing it in that department, it should NOT prevent you from playing D.

Artest is a prime living example of this. Dude has subverted his offensive game to a large degree, YET his defense has not suffered one bit.

Artest has been the PERFECT teammate and compliment to Kobe and Pau. Huge HUGE props to Ron. :bow: :bow:
borri

Postby JSM on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:43 pm

Check out this number:

Ron's +/- tonight was a whopping +28.

16 points
5 assists
3 rebounds
3 steals
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:43 am

JSM wrote:Check out this number:

Ron's +/- tonight was a whopping +28.

16 points
5 assists
3 rebounds
3 steals

Much appreciation to Ron. Keep on hoodalizin'.
Derek Fisher is the heart and soul of this team- Kobe(Black Mamba)
When we win it, it's going to taste much sweeter knowing I played with the injury- Andrew(Lionheart)
Tomorrow is another opportunity to accomplish great things- Pau(Pauwer)
Ron Artest is the Game 7 MVP- Phil(Zen Master)
Q:Pierce says series isn't coming back to LA? A: [Mean Stare]- Derek(President)
If we don't win the championship, it's my fault- Ron(Tru Warier)
ShaqDieselLaker

Location: Sorry Boston, the championship trophy belongs in LA

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion