Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Re: Steve Nash Discussion (Always 1 more week away)

Postby Armani on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:45 pm

Nash and Kobe will be the worst backcourt on D... I am sort of cringing a bit to see him back in action. Yikes.
Armani

Postby gill on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Armani wrote:Nash and Kobe will be the worst backcourt on D... I am sort of cringing a bit to see him back in action. Yikes.

Turnstile + Roamer... I can't wait til Dwight blows his lid off.
gill

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:53 pm

honestly i think its Nash's ability to be a leader and unit a team that will be more important than his PG ability.

This team isnt having problems on O consistently its on D. Its problems with turnovers and energy. Nash isnt an amazing defender or even a good defender but hes smart and trusts his teammates and knows what a team needs at any given time on the court.

I think just turnovers would be limited if Nash is handling the ball and communicating with the team. Thus limiting fast break points and exposing our terrible transition D.

He cant help our front court D though. Dwight is a shot blocker and an active defender but he cant do everything. He needs help if he helps and the rotation has to be quick and seamless. Right now its NOT with Jamison but i'd say its okay with Hill and Pau is okay too.

Guys just need to come out with the right mindset and energy and effort. Other than turnovers it really was just energy and effort. That's up to the players and the captains to hold others accountable. Nash will help to unite this team and build the chemistry on D, now that we're starting to see it on O with Duhon (whose doing a great Nash impersonation) running the point.
Ariza3

Postby yossarian33 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:38 pm

I'm curious how big of an impact Nash's return will have. Say in the 10 games after his return what do you predict the record will be? I'm going to say 7-3. I realize it's hard to say given different variables, one of them Pau and the schedule for that 10 game stretch. Maybe I'm being optimistic.

I'll admit i haven't watched all of the games lately, tried a few times and it was difficult to watch to be honest. D'Antoni probably feeling the heat, bet you he wants Nash back as bad as anybody.
yossarian33

Postby trodgers on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:46 am

gill wrote:
Armani wrote:Nash and Kobe will be the worst backcourt on D... I am sort of cringing a bit to see him back in action. Yikes.

Turnstile + Roamer... I can't wait til Dwight blows his lid off.

Whatever their style of play limitations are, or even if there are physical limitations, both Kobe and Nash have been effective defenders.

Last season, Kobe allowed a 12.8 counterpart PER (15.0 is average, below 15.0 is good for Kobe). Nash allowed a 13.6 counterpart PER.

In other words, you don't have to be a great individual defender or the most fundamentally sound defender in order to be effective.

That doesn't mean they'll both vie for DPOY and we'll be unstoppable defensively; it does suggest reason for optimism.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby LooN3y on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:55 am

you know what will be funny? if we go on a winning streak when he comes back
LooN3y

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:13 pm

so...1 more week? :man12:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:19 pm

I'm thinking he'll be back for the game against the cats. It won't be a difficult team and will give him a chance to get some rhythm back in his game.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby khmrP on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:33 pm

might as well call it indefinetely.........
khmrP

Postby Finwë on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:47 pm

If Nash comes back and we click and really start winning, he should win MVP.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Finwë wrote:If Nash comes back and we click and really start winning, he should win MVP.

Nah he can just keep the one he didn't deserve :man12:
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:22 pm

I think his leadership on the court and ability to unite a team and get a team to play together is more important than anything. Defense may be lacking with his age but the things he can bring are very valuable. his presence and communication skills on the court will help a ton as he commands respect from everyone, even Kobe.

I don't care how many points he scores or assists he gets. if he can do what he's been doing his whole career and get this team to play as one and win games with that then ill be happy. points and assists will come and should be below his average but still good enough. if duhon can do what he's doing now imagine what Nash can do. Duhon has so many open 3's it's unreal.
Ariza3

Postby 432J on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:29 pm

this reminds me alot of drew's injury in 2008

at first it was a couple weeks, and then it was 6 weeks, and eventually he ended up missing the whole postseason. i honestly wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play until mid to late january
432J

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:37 pm

I remember Drew's first injury pretty well, I was watching ESPN the next day and they said he would be out 8 weeks. However I think that was a lie and he was actually going to be out longer, the FO just didn't want to set off a panic with the fans. We got Pau a few weeks later and everyone kind of forgot about it.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby scissors on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Is it imminent or no? Which is it?
scissors

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:51 pm

Sources: Nerve irritation root of Steve Nash's slow return to Lakers
22 minutes ago
Email

Steve Nash's delayed return to the Los Angeles Lakers has more to do with nerve irritation in his lower left leg than the fracture he suffered, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Nash appeared set to return from a non-displaced fractured left fibula about three to four weeks ago. His fibula has healed well, but what caused the setback was a nerve irritation that surfaced in the leg during his rehabilitation, sources said. The nerve caused Nash pain any time he put pressure on it.
Steve Nash (EFE)

The irritation is steadily improving for Nash and he is expected to play before the end of the month, sources said.
Nash suffered the broken fibula on Nov. 1 against the Portland Trail Blazers. The Lakers originally thought the injury was just a bone bruise, but an MRI showed worse.

Nash can run and has been doing dribbling and conditioning drills in hopes of maintaining his conditioning. The 38-year-old, however, hasn't been cleared to fully participate in practice.
Nash has missed 19 of the Lakers' 21 games. The Lakers are also without backup point guard Steve Blake due to an abdominal injury.

What effing nerve that nerve has. :man2: :man2:

We could have had this guy back weeks ago.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby last stand on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:57 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:I remember Drew's first injury pretty well, I was watching ESPN the next day and they said he would be out 8 weeks. However I think that was a lie and he was actually going to be out longer, the FO just didn't want to set off a panic with the fans. We got Pau a few weeks later and everyone kind of forgot about it.

lol that injury was horrible

i remember "imagine when bynum comes back with pau we are going to be unstoppable"

diagnosis got worse and worse until bynum needed surgery. bynum was never the same since. take away those injuries and he's a different player completely. though to be fair same could be said for oden
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Balance&Options24 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:58 pm

Come on Steve just cut the leg off and play like that.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:10 pm

end of december they say. 2015.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby XXIV on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:29 pm

I'm no longer going to say he'll be back any sooner than Christmas day. Great if he does, but I have my doubts.
XXIV

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:43 pm

end of the month? it's believable. I'm not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing that it's no longer the fracture and is a nerve thing. seems like that would heal faster than a fracture but is prob more painful.

hope he's back for Xmas game tht would be awesome but no at the expense of getting reinjured. when he comes back I want him to take it slow at first...hopefully by then the team is jelling
Ariza3

Postby OX1947 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:44 pm

I heard Steve Nash will be back in a week. YES!!!
OX1947

Postby GoldHammish on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:44 pm

last stand wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:I remember Drew's first injury pretty well, I was watching ESPN the next day and they said he would be out 8 weeks. However I think that was a lie and he was actually going to be out longer, the FO just didn't want to set off a panic with the fans. We got Pau a few weeks later and everyone kind of forgot about it.

lol that injury was horrible

i remember "imagine when bynum comes back with pau we are going to be unstoppable"

diagnosis got worse and worse until bynum needed surgery. bynum was never the same since. take away those injuries and he's a different player completely. though to be fair same could be said for oden

Well, we were unstopable. We won the next two championships.
GoldHammish

Postby kidhell on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:56 pm

RealGM is reporting that Steve Nash has now suffered a nerve injury during his rehab and his near return is now pushed back!!! Dammit, dammmit, dammit! They say he should return to play by the end of the month. Why does this feel like 2004 all over again... huge, pre-season hype predicting a coast to the NBA Finals and then the injuries set in!
kidhell

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:58 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Sources: Nerve irritation root of Steve Nash's slow return to Lakers
22 minutes ago
Email

Steve Nash's delayed return to the Los Angeles Lakers has more to do with nerve irritation in his lower left leg than the fracture he suffered, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Nash appeared set to return from a non-displaced fractured left fibula about three to four weeks ago. His fibula has healed well, but what caused the setback was a nerve irritation that surfaced in the leg during his rehabilitation, sources said. The nerve caused Nash pain any time he put pressure on it.
Steve Nash (EFE)

The irritation is steadily improving for Nash and he is expected to play before the end of the month, sources said.
Nash suffered the broken fibula on Nov. 1 against the Portland Trail Blazers. The Lakers originally thought the injury was just a bone bruise, but an MRI showed worse.

Nash can run and has been doing dribbling and conditioning drills in hopes of maintaining his conditioning. The 38-year-old, however, hasn't been cleared to fully participate in practice.
Nash has missed 19 of the Lakers' 21 games. The Lakers are also without backup point guard Steve Blake due to an abdominal injury.

What effing nerve that nerve has. :man2: :man2:

We could have had this guy back weeks ago.

The second bolded part is what TICKS me off the MOST....once again the Lakers downplay the severity of a player's injury and then an MRI shows something worse. It's really frustrating that this medical/training staff cannot seem to predict injuries correctly pretty consistently.

If Nash comes back, and the Lakers start winning a lot of games...he seriously needs to be considered for MVP...because right now I just don't see how everything is going to get "better" when Nash gets back. But if it does...we'll know for sure that it was NASH...i mean the guy DID win 2 mvp awards in this system....
FabFourLakers

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion