Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Re: Steve Nash Discussion: Epidural Nation

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:46 pm

Yes, but it's also not as bad as we all feel. Right now we just witnessed the worst season in Laker history (maybe NBA history) and we're all feeling understandably down.

I think once things start moving we'll feel a lot better.

Heck I just read Ebanks' exit interview and I feel better already.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:21 pm

Gloomy as in our PG, and I do think it is with Nash specifically. If he was our backup PG or was making less money then thats another thing, but he just cant stay healthy. Unlike alot of people Im fine with what he brings to the table when he is healthy, but at his salary its just not often enough. Age isn't usually as big a deal for me, but it definitely is when injuries and ailments are a regular issue.

Overall, a few savvy moves from Mitch and we'll be a much improved team once Kobe returns (I dont think it's possible to duplicate the amount of injuries we had again).
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:51 pm

I see.

I guess yeah we're in a pickle with the Nash situation. What would you say is the best move then? I happen to think Blake probably has some nice value on the market right now. I'd like to use that to bring in someone young. I don't know who, but I think that's something that would help quite a bit.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:02 pm

I liked Steve Nash's exit interview. I thought he was right with certain points. Steve's health at this point is a question mark at best, though. He's had back injuries every year & you couple that with the nerve issues he's been having this season, it doesn't bode well by any stretch of the imagination. Going forward, I think you have to lessen his MPG & give him as much rest as you possibly could, IMO. You just hope that keeps him healthy for most of the season and maximizes his ability on the court to play at a high level.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:06 pm

I'm glad in his exit interview that he said that he isn't going to take time off this off-season. Get right back and continue the rehab and he said he will be back 100% for next training camp.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:02 pm

We dont have a move really like you said, other than the huge unknown of trading. Sounds bad to say but we're kinda stuck with Nash, while Id actually prefer to keep Blake instead.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:56 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:We dont have a move really like you said, other than the huge unknown of trading. Sounds bad to say but we're kinda stuck with Nash, while Id actually prefer to keep Blake instead.

Agreed. I'm getting a little thin of people with their Nash trade scenarios. It ain't happening for a lot of reasons. Nash is who we have to pick between the two.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby SpencerHarrison on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:46 am

therealdeal wrote:
Tobias Funke wrote:We dont have a move really like you said, other than the huge unknown of trading. Sounds bad to say but we're kinda stuck with Nash, while Id actually prefer to keep Blake instead.

Agreed. I'm getting a little thin of people with their Nash trade scenarios. It ain't happening for a lot of reasons. Nash is who we have to pick between the two.

+1
SpencerHarrison

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:12 am

khmrP wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Give us a legit backup PG who can step in and take control of games for 30-35 minutes. Blake is kind of that, but he's older too. I think we should trade Blake while his value is pretty high (decent player on a friendly contract) and try to get younger there.

That's all we can do. We can't trade a guy away from his kids, I just don't think we'll do that. That's a pretty nasty move from a franchise who is trying to attract free agents in a couple of years. We need to maintain a good report with the players.

He'll be here next season. Hopefully in a Kidd role.

I think Blake helps us more than Nash at this point all things considered. Nash is the 1 we really need to trade. He's not going to play in enough games going foward to help this team. Don't trade him away from his kids, send him back to Phx to be closer to them. They're so down on Shannon & Beasley that their fans are ready to take on Bargs. I still think Beas can lead our bench & Shannon would be good insurance if Kobe isn't ready for game 1. Of course we'd have to have another move lined up for a starting PG, but I think we can get that for Pau. Then shore up SF via free agency (Wright/Webster/Korver)

Shannon is a FA

Nope.. He's on the books for next year 3.5M..
lakersin4

Postby JSM on Thu May 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Mark Medina of the LA Daily News wrote:This is the third in a series grading the Lakers’ efforts on their 2012-13 season.

Player: Steve Nash, Lakers guard

How he performed: 12.7 points on 49.7 percent shooting and 6.7 assists through 50 games

The Good: When he was actually healthy, Nash showed plenty of remnants that makes him one of the best NBA point guards of his generation. His season averages (12.7 points on 49.7 percent shooting and 43.8 percent from three-point range, a 92.2 percent clip from the free throw line and 6.7 assists) are fairly similar to his last year in Phoenix where he averaged 12.5 points and 10.7 assists while shooting 53.2, 39 and 89.4 percent, respectively. Nash also decreases his turnovers with the Lakers (2.5) compared to his last season with the Suns (3.7). Add all those numbers up, and Nash managed to become the fifth player in NBA history to collect at least 10,000 assists.

The Lakers may have gone 5-11 in his 16 games sine his return from a fractured leg that kept him out of 24 games. But that had more to do with the team’s issues on defense than Nash, who posted 9.2 assists per game in that stretch. More importantly, Nash showed willingly adapted to any role, something that Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol showed more reluctance to do in Mike D’Antoni’s system. When the Lakers had an air-it-out meeting Jan. 23 prior to the their loss to the Memphis Grizzlies, Nash immediately embraced becoming an off-ball shooter in favor of Kobe Bryant playing the a facilitating role. That resulted in Nash posting double-digits in scoring in 27 of the next 31 contests.

The Bad: To think, the only challenges many believed Nash would encounter would involve shaky defense and perhaps some minor back issues. In what Nash described as his “most frustrating” season in his 16-year career, persistent injuries hardly allowed him to have the presence the Lakers envisioned after acquiring him last offseason. His 24-game absence after colliding Oct. 31 with Portland guard Damian Lillard hurt the Lakers’ fortunes in learning Mike Brown’s Princeton-based offense as well as adapting to Mike D’Antoni’s more up-tempo system.

Nash’s right hip injury caused even more problems after sidelining him for the last eight regular season games. Persistent discomfort in his nerves prompted Nash to receive a couple of epidural shots in his back and a cortisone shot in his right hip. But it hardly helped Nash overcome his injuries. Nash averaged 12.5 points on 43.5 percent shooting and 4.5 assists in the Lakers’ first two playoff losses against the Spurs, showing discomfort in both his rhythm and finding his shooting stroke. Increased discomfort in his hamstring then kept him out of the Lakers’ losses in Games 3 and 4 against San Antonio.

“I’m disappointed for him,” Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said in his exit interview. “I’ve never seen a player struggle and be as involved in the rehabbing of an injury and to be as frustrated as he was.”

Yet, some of Nash’s issues went beyond injuries.

All accounts have described Nash as the consummate team player. But that left him in a dicey position where he tried accommodating to everyone’s concerns, ranging from following D’Antoni’s offense and finding enough shots for Bryant, Howard and Gasol. Nash’s team mindset helped reduce the self-interest that already plagued the Lakers. But his tentativeness also didn’t provide enough clarity on offense. During his eight-game absence to close out the season, the Lakers actually looked more comfortable on offense. Bryant put a more concerted effort in finding Gasol inside. Steve Blake showed also showed a better balance in mixing up pick-and-roll and post-up coverages.

Grade: C.

Injuries severely impacted Nash’s effectiveness. It also didn’t help that D’Antoni mistakenly believed Nash’s return would solve all of the Lakers chemistry issues, an unfair proposition considering the team had deeply rooted problems in playing at a fast paced and staying organized on defense. It seems uncertain whether Nash can fully overcome these injury issues. But no one can fault his attitude and intentions. On a team filled with competing agendas, Nash consistently showed interest in simply helping the team in any way he could.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby The Rock on Mon May 13, 2013 11:14 pm

If you're watching Ginobili, thats the kind of player we're stuck with when it comes to Nash

Someone who just cant get through a season healthy and has one nagging injury after another. Ginobli played 34 out of possible 66 last year, 60 out of a possible 82 this year. We simply have to reduce Nash's workload during season in hopes that he can stay healthy in playoffs...even then he can have an occasional elite performance here and there but cant do night and night out obviously at his age but is very valuable during clutch circumstances

And Ginobil plays around 23 to 25 mins a game and has alternatives who can step in for him who can produce just as much as him, we dont have anyone like that for Nash

Ginobili is a FA this summer will be very interesting how Spurs handle his situation

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Doc Brown on Mon May 20, 2013 10:20 am

Mark Willard ‏@Mark_T_Willard 35m
Steve Nash on the locker room: "I think there were times when our locker room wasn't in harmony."
Retweeted by ESPNLA 710 Radio
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

:freak2:

ESPNLA 710 Radio ‏@ESPNLA710 32m
Nash on playing w/ KB: "I felt like I could've had a bigger impact & help take pressure off the team--it takes time to find that chemistry"

:freak2: :freak2:

Herd w/Colin Cowherd ‏@TheHerd 32m
Steve Nash #intheHERD with @ESPN_Colin : I don't know that we ever truly played D'Antoni's system.
Retweeted by ESPNLA 710 Radio
Expand

:freak2: :freak2: :freak2:

ESPNLA 710 Radio ‏@ESPNLA710 37m
Nash on persuading Dwight: "We all want him to come back--I think he knows that I want him back and wanna make up for what's a difficult yr"

:jam2:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Re: Nash Discussion: No harmony, no chemistry, no system (159)

Postby The Rock on Mon May 20, 2013 10:38 am

Cowherd baited Nash into saying something bad about Kobe or the team but Nash wouldn't bite lol he said there were some frustrating times in the locker room but thats expected since guys are playing different roles now with a new set of teammates. He and Kobe have convos about sharing the rock all the time but he said Kobe should have the ball more and Nash is the one who joined Kobe's team. Said they barely ran D'Antoni's system mainly because of guys being injured and going in and out of the lineups and having no training camp

He thought he was never himself after the foot injury to start the season, it affected him the rest of the year

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon May 20, 2013 10:39 am

nothing shockingly said from Nash
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby gcclaker on Mon May 20, 2013 11:41 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:nothing shockingly said from Nash

Hated/respected him as an opponent but Nash is all class.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Mon May 20, 2013 11:44 am

Nash is WAY too smart to be baited by anybody, let alone Cowherd.
borri

Postby karacha on Mon May 20, 2013 11:55 am

Nash is very classy. All right answers. No lies, but nothing that would cause problems. He's a great teammate. I like that he talked to Dwight and wants to "redeem" himself, so to speak.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon May 20, 2013 12:11 pm

gcclaker wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:nothing shockingly said from Nash

Hated/respected him as an opponent but Nash is all class.

Pretty much how I have always viewed him too. Nash is a great player, great teammate and all class like you said. I love the guy being in P&G personally.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Chillbongo on Fri May 24, 2013 10:48 am

Steve Nash's Ex-Wife: Banned from LA so He Can Avoid Paying Child Support?

Allegedly, Nash has asked her not to make the move because he believes he might be traded from the Lakers or have to retire from the game. Amarilla says this isn’t the case, and that the ballplayer is trying to avoid paying out for the huge child support settlement that could be imposed on him under California state law.

Nash’s ex-wife alleges that, under their current arrangement, Arizona state law doesn’t require him to pay a dime—something which Nash has taken advantage of, Amarilla says.

It’s a strange situation, considering Nash cited his need to be near his kids as his biggest factor for joining the Lakers in the first place. He made that plain and clear, stating they were the “No. 1 reason” he chose to move to Los Angeles instead of joining the Knicks in 2012.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1650566-steve-nashs-ex-wife-banned-from-la-so-he-can-avoid-paying-child-support

Nash deploying a smoke screen? Or does he really think he won't be in LA? Either way, if it's not about $$$ why bring it to court? Why does she decide to move now? Take this with a grain of salt.
Chillbongo

Postby lakersin4 on Fri May 24, 2013 11:08 am

Hopefully Nash wants to go back to Phx where he doesn't have to worry about child support. Send Pau with him & get Dragic, Dudley, Beasley, Frye.
lakersin4

Postby bltkmt on Fri May 24, 2013 11:34 am

Uh...no way PHX wants Nash back.
bltkmt

Postby Weezy on Fri May 24, 2013 12:19 pm

Is it wrong that I really want the report of him being traded or retiring to be true, like really, really want it to be true? I like Nash, but he's old as hell, I don't want to be stuck with an old, slow, breaking down PG for 2 more seasons at 9 mil per. If he lets is trade him I'd be pretty thrilled.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Fri May 24, 2013 12:50 pm

Is there anything worse then a ex-wife who is a money grubbing parasite? The amount of child support money the courts allow the mother in these cases makes me sick. If you are going to make the guy pay that much, that money should go to a trust fund so the kid can get it after they are 18, after a reasonable amount is given during the time of adolescences. I don't understand why common sense and the court system is so effed up in this country. This is suppose to be a system that is fair right? That's why they say you have to prove someone is guilty? 50K a month in child support? Really? 10K a month, a house and vehicle paid for should be enough. Tell that (bleep) to get a job and pay her own nut.
OX1947

Postby Cleansed on Sat May 25, 2013 12:35 am

OX1947 wrote:Is there anything worse then a ex-wife who is a money grubbing parasite? The amount of child support money the courts allow the mother in these cases makes me sick. If you are going to make the guy pay that much, that money should go to a trust fund so the kid can get it after they are 18, after a reasonable amount is given during the time of adolescences. I don't understand why common sense and the court system is so effed up in this country. This is suppose to be a system that is fair right? That's why they say you have to prove someone is guilty? 50K a month in child support? Really? 10K a month, a house and vehicle paid for should be enough. Tell that (bleep) to get a job and pay her own nut.

Yes sir.

I dont blame Nash for trying to avoid being gouged . That ish' is ridiculous.
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby JGC on Sat May 25, 2013 7:22 am

OX1947 wrote:Is there anything worse then a ex-wife who is a money grubbing parasite? The amount of child support money the courts allow the mother in these cases makes me sick. If you are going to make the guy pay that much, that money should go to a trust fund so the kid can get it after they are 18, after a reasonable amount is given during the time of adolescences. I don't understand why common sense and the court system is so effed up in this country. This is suppose to be a system that is fair right? That's why they say you have to prove someone is guilty? 50K a month in child support? Really? 10K a month, a house and vehicle paid for should be enough. Tell that (bleep) to get a job and pay her own nut.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, and this probably isn't the thread to discuss it, but I think these are difficult situations. What you think is fair, and what Nash's ex-wife thinks is fair, and what I think is fair, and what Sally the neighborhood dog walker thinks is fair, obviously, is very different. So while I get that the courts might seem effed up and in many ways they are, they're always going to be effed up to somebody.

And I think there are many things worse than an ex-wife who is a money grubbing parasite. I think a deadbeat Dad who has the means but provides nothing for his kids in terms of child support is worse. (Not saying Nash is, but just saying to me that is worse than a gold digger).
JGC

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion