Steve Nash Discussion: Retiring; Lakers Disabled Exception

Re: Nash Discussion: ESPN LA 710 radio interview (160)

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:18 pm

The Los Angeles Lakers have three future Hall of Famers on their roster in Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash and Pau Gasol, but none of them will be in the lineup in the team's exhibition opener Saturday against the Golden State Warriors. Bryant being a scratch, of course, is no surprise. He is in Germany for a knee procedure until early next week and also continues to rehab the Achilles in his left leg. ESPN.com
Ariza3

Postby GoldenKnight on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:55 pm

Well he's definitely aging...

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby bnr034 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:17 am

GoldenKnight wrote:Well he's definitely aging...

I reckon hes just rusty... him and Pau havent really played much ball over the summer.
bnr034

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:51 am

nthydro wrote:Anyone else see the irony in our PG situation?

When we had Farmar we all complained about him.

We were happy when we got rid of Farmar and replaced him with Blake.

We got tired of Blake and was happy to get Nash.

After last season, a lot of people complained about Nash and wanted him gone.

And now...all three of them are playing together :man10:

Farmar and Phil always had a somewhat awkward relationship. Phil wanted Farmar to follow the triangle, while Farmar's instincts were more of a traditional PG.

So Farmar was a misfit on offense and his so-so defense didn't help either so he'd be up and down from night to night. But his "up" nights were way better than anything Blake gave us.

In D'Antoni's system, Farmar can fit in on offense more easily despite his so-so defense, so he'll hopefully have more good nights than bad.

Blake is a somewhat different case due to all the injuries he's had. Blake also had to go through 3 different coaching/system changes during his 3 year tenure here, something Farmar didn't have to deal with. Blake seemed to find a groove last season despite going through another coaching/system change and missing half the season. Whether that had to do with D'Antoni's system or Blake just becoming more comfortable in LA, I'm really not sure. Whatever it is, he looks less awkward on the court than he was his first 2 seasons here.

Nash is old and he needs help in the backcourt to keep his minutes down. That's the main complaint against him. Hopefully, with Blake and Farmar playing decently under D'Antoni, we can cut his minutes during the regular season so he can be fresh for the postseason.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:51 am

Nash looked good in the limited time out there. We should see some more Steve Nashyness this season than last.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:54 am

I hope he was just holding back a little due to preseason because the nuggets played him for the pass every trip down, daring him to score, and he didn't. you can't have that from the pg position in the nba now.
abeer3

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:19 am

abeer3 wrote:I hope he was just holding back a little due to preseason because the nuggets played him for the pass every trip down, daring him to score, and he didn't. you can't have that from the pg position in the nba now.

you really think that Nash can't score at will? Nash is one of the most pure shooting PGs to play the game. If a team took his passing away he could score easily. Preseason he is working on timing and making the right plays.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:17 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
abeer3 wrote:I hope he was just holding back a little due to preseason because the nuggets played him for the pass every trip down, daring him to score, and he didn't. you can't have that from the pg position in the nba now.

you really think that Nash can't score at will? Nash is one of the most pure shooting PGs to play the game. If a team took his passing away he could score easily. Preseason he is working on timing and making the right plays.

I think more importantly he's working on getting guys into the offense and getting them comfortable with where to be.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby SK8 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:26 pm

@SteveNash puts in extra work after practice.

http://instagram.com/p/fQlSBsy7_d/

:jam2:
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:39 pm

^^^ clank clank clank :man10: :jam2:
LTLakerFan

Postby dj vitus on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:10 pm

nthydro wrote:Anyone else see the irony in our PG situation?

When we had Farmar we all complained about him.

We were happy when we got rid of Farmar and replaced him with Blake.

We got tired of Blake and was happy to get Nash.

After last season, a lot of people complained about Nash and wanted him gone.

And now...all three of them are playing together :man10:

And we're happy to have all three it seems. :man10:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:24 pm

Kobe is still lobbying for Fish to come back next year..... that's loyalty and respect I guess. If he honestly thought his chances of winning big games were less because of where Fish is now, I think Kobe would not do that. "Winning" over friendship with him I would think. Whatever that's worth. He'd tea bag his mom on the court if not doing so meant losing an important game.

Well maybe it was just a quote and not lobbying. A reporter asked him who his favorite teammate was and he said Fish and wanted him back to finish their careers together.
LTLakerFan

Postby karacha on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:39 pm

Fish should be an assistant coach. He can't contribute as a player anymore, I just don't see it. And if you need a positive guy to influence young players, let him coach; he has potential to be a good coach, IMO.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:42 pm

Beto Duran ‏@DuranSports 1h
Steve Nash on #Lakers training camp "chemistry & attitude has been fantastic. As we all know that can have a huge role on a team"
Expand

Nobody likes you Dwight.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:05 pm

Nope, nobody likes him.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:29 pm

I'm so digging the atmosphere of this team.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby SK8 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:29 pm

hmmm....

Nash said his ankle has been bothering him for a bit now, but he feels “fairly confident” if will be OK moving forward.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Safe to say it's going to be 2012-2013 all over again for Nash health wise .

Hopefully it will be a injury free season for Farmar , I can't watch a game with Meeks playing PG minutes
wcsoldier81

Postby GoldenKnight on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Nash's body is breaking down no matter how healthy & well he says he feels. Same old story as last year...it's a shame too because I was just saying how he was moving a little quicker than usual in the minutes he played.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:28 pm

Blake is moving faster with the ball too it seems to me this year. He really pushes it and zips around at times. For having that kind of speed available it's odd to me he seems to have next to no hops. He gets to the basket and then can't do anything but pass or run it back outside.
LTLakerFan

Postby HighlyFavored on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:58 pm

Nash is such a huge bust! Even when he is playing he has minimal impact on the game, and he is no better than Steve Blake!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bang: Cant wait until he is gone! :mad1:
HighlyFavored

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:50 am

LTLakerFan wrote:Blake is moving faster with the ball too it seems to me this year. He really pushes it and zips around at times. For having that kind of speed available it's odd to me he seems to have next to no hops. He gets to the basket and then can't do anything but pass or run it back outside.

Actually I heard a couple years ago that Blake is a pretty solid dunker. He just can't do it in games I think where people are, you know... in the way.

As for Nash it certainly smells to me like old-man-syndrome. It's how it works. Your knee feels better, but your ankle hurts. Your back feels alright, but your shoulder is killing you. It never ends. That's why guys like Nash have to retire, not because they're not still effective when they play.

Farmar is going to be key this season, along with Blake.

Maybe now they keep DJO around? It was something I flirted with instead of Landry.

Nash/Farmar/DJO
Bryant/Blake/Meeks
Johnson/Young/Henry
Williams/Hill/Harris
Gasol/Kaman/Sacre

I doubt it happens, but it might be prudent.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:23 am

For what it's worth, Cuban thought Nash was getting old when he let him go. Then he had 2 MVP seasons.

Perhaps the Lakers medical staff simply doesn't know how to work with him the way the Phoenix medical staff does.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:28 am

revgen wrote:For what it's worth, Cuban thought Nash was getting old when he let him go. Then he had 2 MVP seasons.

Perhaps the Lakers medical staff simply doesn't know how to work with him the way the Phoenix medical staff does.

^^ No doubt that Phoenix med staff is unbelievable. Look at what they did for Grant Hill, Shaq and Nash. Incredible.

But yeah, doesn't sound great for Nash. We'll see. Was hoping he would be right in terms of health this year, but that 39 year old body is beaten up.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:22 pm

Why are we starting to assume a rolled ankle a couple of weeks ago and still bothering him some is because of his age? Happens to Steph Curry, Kobe, Matt Barnes and everyone in between age wise all the time. I can't believe it never ever happened to me playing. No one plays well with a really sore ankle. Except Kobe Bryant.
LTLakerFan

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion