Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Re: Nash Discussion: ESPN LA 710 radio interview (160)

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:09 pm

You could watch Blake play and see him emulate Nash's moves pretty well with good success. I full expect Farmar to do the same with an athletic stronger twist on it. A full training camp will really help especially if Nash is healthy going in
Ariza3

Postby nthydro on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:32 pm

Anyone else see the irony in our PG situation?

When we had Farmar we all complained about him.

We were happy when we got rid of Farmar and replaced him with Blake.

We got tired of Blake and was happy to get Nash.

After last season, a lot of people complained about Nash and wanted him gone.

And now...all three of them are playing together :man10:
nthydro

Postby karacha on Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:15 pm

Yes, but Blake is playing really well for MDA. Not the best coach in the world, but he has a way of making certain players better. Blake is a good example of that.

Farmar is a different player now. Plays under control, shoots extremely well and is more mature.

Nash is a beast, plain and simple. He still is, when healthy. His D sucks, but he still has surprising speed and quickness for a 39/40 year old, and his body control and shooting technique are second to none.

His problem is health, nothing else. Most of us here like Nash... when he can play. :man10:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Dave McMenamin of ESPN wrote:Steve Nash recently received a memo from the NBA that served as both an honor and a reminder of the challenge he'll face as starting point guard for the Los Angeles Lakers: Nash, who will turn 40 in February, is officially the oldest player on a league roster as the 2013-14 season opens.

While the two-time MVP and eight-time All-Star isn't about to succumb to Father Time just yet as he prepares for his 18th season, his team is planning on cutting back his playing time to save him for the long haul.

According to Nash, Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni is considering adopting a model similar to how San Antonio's Gregg Popovich manages Tim Duncan by giving him games off to rest throughout the season even when healthy.

"Mike mentioned it to me," Nash told ESPNLosAngeles.com on Friday during a sit-down interview on the eve of the first day of Lakers training camp. "I'm open to it. Obviously I'm not the type of guy that's going to look at the schedule and see which games I can miss -- that's never occurred to me -- but if there's a way that we can make the season better by missing a game here and there, I'm open to it."

The Lakers play 19 sets of back-to-back games this season, including four in March, when the dog days of the season can wear on players' bodies. D'Antoni told Nash that those could be opportunities to give him a night off.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak also said this week that Nash's playing time should be cut back on a night-to-night basis this season.

"We're not expecting 35 minutes a game from Steve," Kupchak said, adding that the offseason acquisition of Jordan Farmar should give L.A. options when Nash is out.

"With Steve Blake and Jordan and Steve Nash, we're hoping that the combination will give Steve Nash some rest where we won't have to rely on him 100 percent," Kupchak said. "He's 39 years old. You can't play a guy like that 35, 40 minutes a game. I don't know what the number is. I don't know if it's 25, 28, 31 [minutes], but I think we have some players we can go to and give him a rest."

Nash was wary about placing an arbitrary cap on his playing time before any games have been played.

"I think 30 minutes and above is kind of similar territory," Nash said. "I mean, what's the difference between 30 and 34 and 32 [minutes]? I think that stuff's hard to accomplish anyways.

"It's a hard one. Mike [D'Antoni has] always said that. When we try to limit the minutes, he's the first to say, 'I can't do it. I'm trying to win.' So, we'll see how it goes."

Indeed, at D'Antoni's introductory news conference after joining the Lakers, the coach said, "I'm going to say that we got to take care of [Nash], cut his minutes down, him and Kobe [Bryant's], and every time we want to win, they're going to play a lot. That's just the way it is. If I want to win, he's going to play."

Nash played 32.5 minutes per game last season, averaging 12.7 points and 6.7 assists. But he missed 32 games because a broken left leg and nerve damage to his hip and hamstring that stemmed from the leg injury.

He received three epidurals to try to quell the nerve discomfort before having to shut down his season prematurely before the Lakers were swept out of the playoffs by the Spurs. The injury continued to linger so long that Nash said he was worried about his NBA future during the early part of the summer, but he has since made a full recovery. The veteran guard said he has been "100 percent" for the past three weeks and even played full-court five-on-five scrimmages at the Lakers' practice facility a handful of times during that span.

"I feel good," Nash said. "I don't want to discount that age is a factor, but I also don't want to overindulge in it. I take care of myself, I work hard, I prepare and I feel great, so I'm sure it is a factor in some capacity, but at the same time, I don't want it to have to be limiting if it doesn't have to be. I think the only way to find out is to prepare and play and see what happens."

Nash said the Lakers' fate this season remains undecided.

"I think the thing about our team, there's just so many question marks," Nash said. "Health: me, Pau [Gasol], Kobe. All these kind of role players, how's the chemistry going to stack up? Like, what do they really got? Because none of them are guaranteed entities where people were seeking them out for multiyear deals. So it's like, what can they really provide?"

Nash was unsure when Bryant would return -- "It sounds like it could be any time from the start of the season to Thanksgiving or Christmas," he said -- but had full confidence in the shooting guard's chances of recovery from a torn Achilles.

"I'm sure he'll do everything possible to come back, and if I had to put my money on it, I'd say he'll exceed expectations," Nash said.

Staying optimistic, Nash said one thing the Lakers already have going for them is an early camaraderie from most of the team participating in voluntary workouts together during the past month.

"There's some nice little chemistry forming, I think. That's potentially an upgrade from last year in that department, so that's nice," Nash said. "We got to play well, have a good year, and we got to find a chemistry. Chemistry has got to be a real strong suit for us. We got to find a real rhythm together."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:17 pm

He doesn't sound very confident in us. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:20 am

therealdeal wrote:He doesn't sound very confident in us. :man10:

No, but to be fair, this isn't exactly what he signed up for with us. He was hoping to win a championship at long last. He knows as well as anyone else that this is not a contender. He's one hell of a competitor, though. He'll give it the best he can. I just think the cold, hard reality is hitting him that he may not ever get that chip. That window is closing rapidly and the current squad does not have the personnel to get there.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:50 am

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:He doesn't sound very confident in us. :man10:

No, but to be fair, this isn't exactly what he signed up for with us. He was hoping to win a championship at long last. He knows as well as anyone else that this is not a contender. He's one hell of a competitor, though. He'll give it the best he can. I just think the cold, hard reality is hitting him that he may not ever get that chip. That window is closing rapidly and the current squad does not have the personnel to get there.

Maybe. But heck, this isn't what the Lakers signed up for either. If he wants out, I'm sure the Lakers would find a partner for him. He doesn't owe us anything. I wouldn't have any grudge if he requested a trade.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:27 am

Steve Nash wrote:"There's some nice little chemistry forming, I think. That's potentially an upgrade from last year in that department, so that's nice," Nash said. "We got to play well, have a good year, and we got to find a chemistry. Chemistry has got to be a real strong suit for us. We got to find a real rhythm together."

This is going to be the most important thing, right there. I will not hold it against them if they are not one of the best teams in the west. But I want to be entertained, and with good chemistry... we'll see some fun basketball this season. Of that, I am sure.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Toklat on Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:10 am

He is just trying to hold down optimism... he knows with farmar on the team we have a good shot...lol seriously though, he knows we could be much better than advertised. A lot of these young guys are going to feel like they just got off the winding mountain road and hit the flats...
Toklat

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:18 pm

The Los Angeles Lakers have three future Hall of Famers on their roster in Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash and Pau Gasol, but none of them will be in the lineup in the team's exhibition opener Saturday against the Golden State Warriors. Bryant being a scratch, of course, is no surprise. He is in Germany for a knee procedure until early next week and also continues to rehab the Achilles in his left leg. ESPN.com
Ariza3

Postby GoldenKnight on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:55 pm

Well he's definitely aging...

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby bnr034 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:17 am

GoldenKnight wrote:Well he's definitely aging...

I reckon hes just rusty... him and Pau havent really played much ball over the summer.
bnr034

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:51 am

nthydro wrote:Anyone else see the irony in our PG situation?

Farmar and Phil always had a somewhat awkward relationship. Phil wanted Farmar to follow the triangle, while Farmar's instincts were more of a traditional PG.

So Farmar was a misfit on offense and his so-so defense didn't help either so he'd be up and down from night to night. But his "up" nights were way better than anything Blake gave us.

In D'Antoni's system, Farmar can fit in on offense more easily despite his so-so defense, so he'll hopefully have more good nights than bad.

Blake is a somewhat different case due to all the injuries he's had. Blake also had to go through 3 different coaching/system changes during his 3 year tenure here, something Farmar didn't have to deal with. Blake seemed to find a groove last season despite going through another coaching/system change and missing half the season. Whether that had to do with D'Antoni's system or Blake just becoming more comfortable in LA, I'm really not sure. Whatever it is, he looks less awkward on the court than he was his first 2 seasons here.

Nash is old and he needs help in the backcourt to keep his minutes down. That's the main complaint against him. Hopefully, with Blake and Farmar playing decently under D'Antoni, we can cut his minutes during the regular season so he can be fresh for the postseason.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:51 am

Nash looked good in the limited time out there. We should see some more Steve Nashyness this season than last.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:54 am

I hope he was just holding back a little due to preseason because the nuggets played him for the pass every trip down, daring him to score, and he didn't. you can't have that from the pg position in the nba now.
abeer3

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:19 am

abeer3 wrote:I hope he was just holding back a little due to preseason because the nuggets played him for the pass every trip down, daring him to score, and he didn't. you can't have that from the pg position in the nba now.

you really think that Nash can't score at will? Nash is one of the most pure shooting PGs to play the game. If a team took his passing away he could score easily. Preseason he is working on timing and making the right plays.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:17 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
abeer3 wrote:I hope he was just holding back a little due to preseason because the nuggets played him for the pass every trip down, daring him to score, and he didn't. you can't have that from the pg position in the nba now.

you really think that Nash can't score at will? Nash is one of the most pure shooting PGs to play the game. If a team took his passing away he could score easily. Preseason he is working on timing and making the right plays.

I think more importantly he's working on getting guys into the offense and getting them comfortable with where to be.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby SK8 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:26 pm

@SteveNash puts in extra work after practice.

http://instagram.com/p/fQlSBsy7_d/

:jam2:
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:39 pm

^^^ clank clank clank :man10: :jam2:
LTLakerFan

Postby dj vitus on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:10 pm

nthydro wrote:Anyone else see the irony in our PG situation?

And we're happy to have all three it seems. :man10:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:24 pm

Kobe is still lobbying for Fish to come back next year..... that's loyalty and respect I guess. If he honestly thought his chances of winning big games were less because of where Fish is now, I think Kobe would not do that. "Winning" over friendship with him I would think. Whatever that's worth. He'd tea bag his mom on the court if not doing so meant losing an important game.

Well maybe it was just a quote and not lobbying. A reporter asked him who his favorite teammate was and he said Fish and wanted him back to finish their careers together.
LTLakerFan

Postby karacha on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:39 pm

Fish should be an assistant coach. He can't contribute as a player anymore, I just don't see it. And if you need a positive guy to influence young players, let him coach; he has potential to be a good coach, IMO.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:42 pm

Beto Duran ‏@DuranSports 1h
Steve Nash on #Lakers training camp "chemistry & attitude has been fantastic. As we all know that can have a huge role on a team"
Expand

Nobody likes you Dwight.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:05 pm

Nope, nobody likes him.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:29 pm

I'm so digging the atmosphere of this team.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion