Steve Nash Discussion: Retiring; Lakers Disabled Exception

Re: Nash Discussion: ESPN LA 710 radio interview (160)

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:32 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Why are we starting to assume a rolled ankle a couple of weeks ago and still bothering him some is because of his age? Happens to Steph Curry, Kobe, Matt Barnes and everyone in between age wise all the time. I can't believe it never ever happened to me playing. No one plays well with a really sore ankle. Except Kobe Bryant.

I'm assuming so because the dude is ancient and that's what happens when you get older.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Toklat on Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:59 pm

Did I see someone else say Farmar was going to be a key this year??..lol also I think keeping DJO would be a good idea. Works hard and isn't scared.. plus I like watching Sacre celebrate his dunks. His scowl is definitely NBA quality.
Toklat

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:12 pm

therealdeal wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:Why are we starting to assume a rolled ankle a couple of weeks ago and still bothering him some is because of his age? Happens to Steph Curry, Kobe, Matt Barnes and everyone in between age wise all the time. I can't believe it never ever happened to me playing. No one plays well with a really sore ankle. Except Kobe Bryant.

I'm assuming so because the dude is ancient and that's what happens when you get older.

OK :man10:

But no. It happens at any age. While I missed it in basketball I missed a half of a little league season in the 6th grade running across a friend's lawn in the dark and rolling my ankle in a sprinkler hole. Not sure you're not going for a little humor too which is always welcome.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:44 pm

No man I'm serious. :man10:

When you get older, your body breaks down and it happens more and more frequently. It becomes a trend. When you're younger, you shrug off those injuries pretty quickly and easily. See: Nick Young rolled his ankle two days before the first pre-season game and has played in every game this season so far.

Steve rolled his TWO WEEKS ago and is still feeling it. That's just age and time catching up with you. When I left football it was partly because I wasn't good enough to keep going :man10: , but I also blew out my ankle. I rolled it once and it kept rolling ever since. Kept me from going forward. When I was younger, that wouldn't have stopped me. As I got older I couldn't keep playing on it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:23 pm

What age was that you quit? I'm sure you weren't an old geezer like Nash. :man10: Of course, by the way, he won't recuperate as quickly...I get that, but a lot of young guys in the league are still "pusses" too after only a couple of weeks on a rolled ankle.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:12 pm

No I was much younger :man10: but that's the point though. The younger you are, the easier it is to recover from injuries. Now these days anything hurts for any reason.

At 40 you may feel 100%, but the next day your knee hurts and you can't figure out what the **** from. Then that feels better, but suddenly your shoulder is tight. It's just the way it goes. Now that his knee is alright, Nash is starting to feel some pain in his ankle. When that's fine, he'll start feeling tightness in his other leg. Then his hip.

It's just the natural procession of things.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:12 am

it's less about this one injury and more about the fact that he doesn't go three weeks without an injury. kobe's been the same for two years, and I think pau's there now, too.

now, Duncan was there a couple years go, but managed to be fairly healthy last year, so maybe there's hope. but I think he may be the exception that proves the rule.
abeer3

Postby Toklat on Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:37 am

We are much better equipped this year to absorb Nash having a few minor injuries. Plus he is still extremely valuable even playing sparse minutes and teaching the other point guards. I've seen Blake setting some Nash like screens in the offense. I just assume Kobe is coming back and going to be dominate fairly early in the season and Pau looks good, especially playing with Kaman. We can make the playoffs with Blake and Farmar playing the majority of point minutes. Nash keeps fairly sharp and healthy for the playoffs. There is always the chance he shakes this off and has a great relatively injury free season.
Toklat

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Man, Nash looks ineffective out there.

He's just too old, or he's just not in the right condition to play.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby XXIV on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:25 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:Man, Nash looks ineffective out there.

He's just too old, or he's just not in the right condition to play.

He's constantly battling minor injures. I don't think he'll ever be 100% healthy while playing this sport. If it's not his back it's his knee, or some days it's his ankle.
XXIV

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:49 am

He should play 10-15 mins a game with the 2nd unit... pb is Farmar will do a better job at running it .

Time to retire
wcsoldier81

Postby bnr034 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:25 am

Nash needs to get himself to Germany to get treatment or ask one of his Phoenix buddies to ship him couple bottle of those miracle water that they have other there
bnr034

Postby abeer3 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:45 am

I didn't see the second half, but I actually thought he looked better out there than in any other game this preseason. much more aggressive to the basket when they were crowding him.
abeer3

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:05 am

abeer3 wrote:I didn't see the second half, but I actually thought he looked better out there than in any other game this preseason. much more aggressive to the basket when they were crowding him.

he didnt play the second half. didnt even leave the locker room after halftime.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:04 am

Doesn't look good for Nash to play a whole lot this season. Not that he should anyway. I'm glad we got Farmar back!
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby lotus on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:11 am

He was too old last year, I hope no one thinks he is going to get better with age. He cannot be relied on, period. The point guard position will be dominated Blake and Farmar, until Blake gets packaged at the trade deadline. That's my guess.
lotus

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:37 am

He's on the books for over 9 million dollars this year; my guess is we use the 'stretch provision' on him next year. I think he'll help us; it will give us more financial flexibility heading into the summer...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:47 am

lotus wrote:He was too old last year, I hope no one thinks he is going to get better with age. He cannot be relied on, period. The point guard position will be dominated Blake and Farmar, until Blake gets packaged at the trade deadline. That's my guess.

Well, the year prior to him playing with us, he was pretty effective in Phoenix.

Then Blake came into the season injured and Nash had to log heavy minutes. He got injured and was never the same since.

He's still recovering some little injuries now.

He should sit out until he's 100%, he's in no position to force himself to play.

20mpg max for Nash.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:05 pm

I hate to say it but I hope Nash is traded somehow for an upgrade at PG.. I think we only have 2 chances at this.. Hopefully he wants to retire in Canada & play for his home country for what looks like his final season & the Raps knowing they can make a ton of cash by bringing him in might get us Lowry + filler.. Or he could be packaged with Pau's huge expiring to retire with the Suns who are notoriously cheap.. They could sell the fans on bringing Nash back, & Nash can avoid the LA child support/alimony drama that he should have seen coming. If Pau comes out playing like an allstar, could Pau + Nash net us Dragic + Gortat? That'd be amazing. It would surely mean eating some of the Suns bad contracts. They don't really have any super bad contracts left.. Probably Frye & 1 of their young guys. Yeah that makes no sense for Phx. We're stuck with Nash. I wouldn't mind it if we replaced Blake with an upgrade with Nash taking Meeks minutes & 3rd PG minutes. I hope we can solve the PG problem without dealing Pau unless it's for a Rondo/Wall/Lillard/Dragic.. I get iffy when we get to the guys like Kemba, Knight, Teague.. If there's more in the package for us maybe it could work out but I don't know.. Could we pry away a big like Monroe along with Stuckey for Pau & Nash? Pau would be a much better fit next to drummond & a pass first PG would give them some balance with Jennings.
LakersN4

Postby Weezy on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:21 pm

I actually think Nash looked good in limited time last night. He buried a couple of shots and made some pretty sweet passes, he's just old and overall not the same guy. I feel like he is going to miss a lot of time this season though, and he cannot be our PG next season, no way, he's too old and the PG position is about speed and athleticism now.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:22 pm

his health is gonna be key. hes obviously not trying very hard at all pre season. but he had some nice drives and spin moves in the paint then kick outs so that was good to see. would like to see him take more shots in the reg season
Ariza3

Postby Juronimo on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:24 pm

I think he's looked good in limited minutes, definitely better than he looked last season. I'm not expecting Nash from 2006 to come back, that player is long gone. If he can stay on the floor it's a big benefit for us.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:42 pm

He needs to retire. He looks fine playing 15 minutes a game, but is that really enough? If he doesn't retire at the end of this season I'll be tremendously disappointed in him.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:44 pm

Juronimo wrote:I think he's looked good in limited minutes, definitely better than he looked last season. I'm not expecting Nash from 2006 to come back, that player is long gone. If he can stay on the floor it's a big benefit for us.

Yeah, the brain for the game is still there but his body just can't sustain anything.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby karacha on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:07 pm

This year, he should play limited minutes and then he should retire and become assistant coach. He's a very intelligent player and he still has a great feel for the game, but he can't sustain it, obviously. I would welcome people like him and Fish in a coaching role though. They are true professionals.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion