Steve Nash Discussion: Retiring; Lakers Disabled Exception

Re: Nash Discussion: ESPN LA 710 radio interview (160)

Postby SK8 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:29 pm

hmmm....

Nash said his ankle has been bothering him for a bit now, but he feels “fairly confident” if will be OK moving forward.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Safe to say it's going to be 2012-2013 all over again for Nash health wise .

Hopefully it will be a injury free season for Farmar , I can't watch a game with Meeks playing PG minutes
wcsoldier81

Postby GoldenKnight on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Nash's body is breaking down no matter how healthy & well he says he feels. Same old story as last year...it's a shame too because I was just saying how he was moving a little quicker than usual in the minutes he played.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:28 pm

Blake is moving faster with the ball too it seems to me this year. He really pushes it and zips around at times. For having that kind of speed available it's odd to me he seems to have next to no hops. He gets to the basket and then can't do anything but pass or run it back outside.
LTLakerFan

Postby HighlyFavored on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:58 pm

Nash is such a huge bust! Even when he is playing he has minimal impact on the game, and he is no better than Steve Blake!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bang: Cant wait until he is gone! :mad1:
HighlyFavored

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:50 am

LTLakerFan wrote:Blake is moving faster with the ball too it seems to me this year. He really pushes it and zips around at times. For having that kind of speed available it's odd to me he seems to have next to no hops. He gets to the basket and then can't do anything but pass or run it back outside.

Actually I heard a couple years ago that Blake is a pretty solid dunker. He just can't do it in games I think where people are, you know... in the way.

As for Nash it certainly smells to me like old-man-syndrome. It's how it works. Your knee feels better, but your ankle hurts. Your back feels alright, but your shoulder is killing you. It never ends. That's why guys like Nash have to retire, not because they're not still effective when they play.

Farmar is going to be key this season, along with Blake.

Maybe now they keep DJO around? It was something I flirted with instead of Landry.

Nash/Farmar/DJO
Bryant/Blake/Meeks
Johnson/Young/Henry
Williams/Hill/Harris
Gasol/Kaman/Sacre

I doubt it happens, but it might be prudent.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:23 am

For what it's worth, Cuban thought Nash was getting old when he let him go. Then he had 2 MVP seasons.

Perhaps the Lakers medical staff simply doesn't know how to work with him the way the Phoenix medical staff does.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:28 am

revgen wrote:For what it's worth, Cuban thought Nash was getting old when he let him go. Then he had 2 MVP seasons.

Perhaps the Lakers medical staff simply doesn't know how to work with him the way the Phoenix medical staff does.

^^ No doubt that Phoenix med staff is unbelievable. Look at what they did for Grant Hill, Shaq and Nash. Incredible.

But yeah, doesn't sound great for Nash. We'll see. Was hoping he would be right in terms of health this year, but that 39 year old body is beaten up.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:22 pm

Why are we starting to assume a rolled ankle a couple of weeks ago and still bothering him some is because of his age? Happens to Steph Curry, Kobe, Matt Barnes and everyone in between age wise all the time. I can't believe it never ever happened to me playing. No one plays well with a really sore ankle. Except Kobe Bryant.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:32 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Why are we starting to assume a rolled ankle a couple of weeks ago and still bothering him some is because of his age? Happens to Steph Curry, Kobe, Matt Barnes and everyone in between age wise all the time. I can't believe it never ever happened to me playing. No one plays well with a really sore ankle. Except Kobe Bryant.

I'm assuming so because the dude is ancient and that's what happens when you get older.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Toklat on Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:59 pm

Did I see someone else say Farmar was going to be a key this year??..lol also I think keeping DJO would be a good idea. Works hard and isn't scared.. plus I like watching Sacre celebrate his dunks. His scowl is definitely NBA quality.
Toklat

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:12 pm

therealdeal wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:Why are we starting to assume a rolled ankle a couple of weeks ago and still bothering him some is because of his age? Happens to Steph Curry, Kobe, Matt Barnes and everyone in between age wise all the time. I can't believe it never ever happened to me playing. No one plays well with a really sore ankle. Except Kobe Bryant.

I'm assuming so because the dude is ancient and that's what happens when you get older.

OK :man10:

But no. It happens at any age. While I missed it in basketball I missed a half of a little league season in the 6th grade running across a friend's lawn in the dark and rolling my ankle in a sprinkler hole. Not sure you're not going for a little humor too which is always welcome.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:44 pm

No man I'm serious. :man10:

When you get older, your body breaks down and it happens more and more frequently. It becomes a trend. When you're younger, you shrug off those injuries pretty quickly and easily. See: Nick Young rolled his ankle two days before the first pre-season game and has played in every game this season so far.

Steve rolled his TWO WEEKS ago and is still feeling it. That's just age and time catching up with you. When I left football it was partly because I wasn't good enough to keep going :man10: , but I also blew out my ankle. I rolled it once and it kept rolling ever since. Kept me from going forward. When I was younger, that wouldn't have stopped me. As I got older I couldn't keep playing on it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:23 pm

What age was that you quit? I'm sure you weren't an old geezer like Nash. :man10: Of course, by the way, he won't recuperate as quickly...I get that, but a lot of young guys in the league are still "pusses" too after only a couple of weeks on a rolled ankle.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:12 pm

No I was much younger :man10: but that's the point though. The younger you are, the easier it is to recover from injuries. Now these days anything hurts for any reason.

At 40 you may feel 100%, but the next day your knee hurts and you can't figure out what the **** from. Then that feels better, but suddenly your shoulder is tight. It's just the way it goes. Now that his knee is alright, Nash is starting to feel some pain in his ankle. When that's fine, he'll start feeling tightness in his other leg. Then his hip.

It's just the natural procession of things.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:12 am

it's less about this one injury and more about the fact that he doesn't go three weeks without an injury. kobe's been the same for two years, and I think pau's there now, too.

now, Duncan was there a couple years go, but managed to be fairly healthy last year, so maybe there's hope. but I think he may be the exception that proves the rule.
abeer3

Postby Toklat on Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:37 am

We are much better equipped this year to absorb Nash having a few minor injuries. Plus he is still extremely valuable even playing sparse minutes and teaching the other point guards. I've seen Blake setting some Nash like screens in the offense. I just assume Kobe is coming back and going to be dominate fairly early in the season and Pau looks good, especially playing with Kaman. We can make the playoffs with Blake and Farmar playing the majority of point minutes. Nash keeps fairly sharp and healthy for the playoffs. There is always the chance he shakes this off and has a great relatively injury free season.
Toklat

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Man, Nash looks ineffective out there.

He's just too old, or he's just not in the right condition to play.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby XXIV on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:25 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:Man, Nash looks ineffective out there.

He's just too old, or he's just not in the right condition to play.

He's constantly battling minor injures. I don't think he'll ever be 100% healthy while playing this sport. If it's not his back it's his knee, or some days it's his ankle.
XXIV

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:49 am

He should play 10-15 mins a game with the 2nd unit... pb is Farmar will do a better job at running it .

Time to retire
wcsoldier81

Postby bnr034 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:25 am

Nash needs to get himself to Germany to get treatment or ask one of his Phoenix buddies to ship him couple bottle of those miracle water that they have other there
bnr034

Postby abeer3 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:45 am

I didn't see the second half, but I actually thought he looked better out there than in any other game this preseason. much more aggressive to the basket when they were crowding him.
abeer3

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:05 am

abeer3 wrote:I didn't see the second half, but I actually thought he looked better out there than in any other game this preseason. much more aggressive to the basket when they were crowding him.

he didnt play the second half. didnt even leave the locker room after halftime.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:04 am

Doesn't look good for Nash to play a whole lot this season. Not that he should anyway. I'm glad we got Farmar back!
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby lotus on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:11 am

He was too old last year, I hope no one thinks he is going to get better with age. He cannot be relied on, period. The point guard position will be dominated Blake and Farmar, until Blake gets packaged at the trade deadline. That's my guess.
lotus

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion