Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby thkthebest on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:18 pm

Steve Nash (last season):

74.3% at rim
51.0% from 3-9 feet
50.0% from 10-15 feet
54.0% from 16-23 feet
58.5% from 3pt

He's the only person to hit 50+% from everywhere. Nobody else came remotely close to doing that.
thkthebest

Postby XXIV on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:27 pm

That injury scared me, and you could see how worried Kobe was when Nash fell. It's great news that he's going to be fine and it's nothing more than a minor tweak.
XXIV

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:28 pm

I was actually a little worried when all I heard about Nash coming here was how much he'd create for others. Im hoping that that doesn't go to his (or Mike Brown's) head and he ends up being too passive. Like thkthebest pointed out, the guy is a lethal shooter, and I hope they take advantage of that.

That's one of the things I like about the Princeton. It may take away from his ability to create sometimes, but it should get him more scoring opportunities as well. I dont think it's possible for him to shoot too much given his ability to knock them down at a high rate, and even if it was possible, its not really his nature to commit the offense.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:46 pm

^ Well in earlier games we saw him coming off of screens and whatnot. Fading to the corner or getting that wide open curl shot at the free throw line. I loved that play. It was very Ray Allen-esque.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:59 pm

I don't want to sound over-concerned, but is it possible that not having the ball in his hands nearly as much as he's used to is also affecting his shooting?
I know he's an automatic mechanical shooter, but we all know shooters need rythm, and have different ways of finding it.. What if this transition towards playing more off-ball than he's used to is negatively affecting Nash's shooting?
He missed a couple of easy ones yesterday, especially that floater that would've put us up by one with like 30 seconds to go.. It could've just been a miscalculation, but I'm kinda worried there's a little more to it than that..
I'm probably reaching, but still, what do you guys think ?
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby nthydro on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:36 pm

thkthebest wrote:Steve Nash (last season):

74.3% at rim
51.0% from 3-9 feet
50.0% from 10-15 feet
54.0% from 16-23 feet
58.5% from 3pt

He's the only person to hit 50+% from everywhere. Nobody else came remotely close to doing that.

58.5% from 3? Must be a mistake. :man3:
nthydro

Postby nthydro on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:43 pm

Finwë wrote:I don't want to sound over-concerned, but is it possible that not having the ball in his hands nearly as much as he's used to is also affecting his shooting?
I know he's an automatic mechanical shooter, but we all know shooters need rythm, and have different ways of finding it.. What if this transition towards playing more off-ball than he's used to is negatively affecting Nash's shooting?
He missed a couple of easy ones yesterday, especially that floater that would've put us up by one with like 30 seconds to go.. It could've just been a miscalculation, but I'm kinda worried there's a little more to it than that..

I don't think he's the type of guy who need balls in his hand.

Not sure how many shots he averaged last season but I'm guessing not many since he only scored 12pts on high percentage shooting. I don't think touches are the issues. Probably more to do with learning and executing a new offense, finding his open spots, ect.
nthydro

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Finwë wrote:I don't want to sound over-concerned, but is it possible that not having the ball in his hands nearly as much as he's used to is also affecting his shooting?

Yeah, it'll be an adjustment, but I'm not all that worried. His negative shooting last night was probably more due to his ankle than anything else.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:26 pm

It was more of the flow of the offense than anything.

If you think about it, it was their first real time together against an opponent other than their bench.

Nash has so many options, he doesn't know what to do with himself.

Lob to Dwight? Find Kobe open? Pau on top of the key? Metta in the corner? Or take it himself.

That last shot he probably had 300 passes he wanted to make, thats just his nature, but he had that shot, and just left it a little short.That's what we're going through preseason for. To see what options Nash has. Take it to the rim? No one guarding me? I got that floater now.

No worries on Nash. These guys are still figuring out how much firepower they have.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby XXIV on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:37 pm

Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers
RT @DuranSports: Steve Nash on the ankle he rolled last night "pretty good. Cant complain. Kinda scary moment but its not too bad

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter
Nash said his ankle is fine. Guys like him & Kobe have rolled both of them so many times that it's hard to do any more damage.
XXIV

Postby thkthebest on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:35 pm

nthydro wrote:
thkthebest wrote:Steve Nash (last season):

74.3% at rim
51.0% from 3-9 feet
50.0% from 10-15 feet
54.0% from 16-23 feet
58.5% from 3pt

58.5% from 3? Must be a mistake. :man3:

Sorry, I meant eFG% for 3pters. :)
thkthebest

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:15 am

Nash might not lead the NBA in assists this season, but I am pretty sure he'll lead in the NBA in hockey assists. With Nash and Pau engaged in the offense, the ball moves so well and so fluidly (even with some of the 1st game confusion and kinks). Dwight is either going to get the dunk or MWP the 3...oh yeah and if those two options don't work, there's Kobe.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:54 am

^ That opening play for Howard's first basket? Gorgeous.

The best part is, that play was simple pick and roll with great spacing and perfect ball movement. Teams are really going to have a hard time defending that play because if you don't leave Gasol to help on Howard, he's got a wide open free throw line jumper. Just easy as pie.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:11 am

JSM wrote:Nash might not lead the NBA in assists this season, but I am pretty sure he'll lead in the NBA in hockey assists. With Nash and Pau engaged in the offense, the ball moves so well and so fluidly (even with some of the 1st game confusion and kinks). Dwight is either going to get the dunk or MWP the 3...oh yeah and if those two options don't work, there's Kobe.

Instead of settling for the jumper though, I'd much rather have Gasol take it off the dribble like he did in a later play, and go aggressive.

Pau's shot isn't as reliable as it was when he first joined us, and I really want Pau to start going to the that left baseline hook again, it's unguardable.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby lakersStan24 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:02 pm

XXIV wrote:That injury scared me, and you could see how worried Kobe was when Nash fell. It's great news that he's going to be fine and it's nothing more than a minor tweak.

Kobe Felt Bad Cause of the sloppy Pass thats why KB Was Looking Like that But Thankfully Steve's Ok
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:40 pm

I actually think that Nash's assists will be quite lower this year than most people think. It doesn't mean he isn't doing his thing or being affect out on the court, but just his mere presence and "hockey assists" will really make our offense run that much smoother.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby jayy_zee on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:22 am

Am I the only one who has been disappointed with what they've seen of Nash so far this preseason? He's missing alot of these same shots he was making consistently with the suns. Even some of his passes have been bad. I'm seeing shades of the 2004 season all over again...
jayy_zee

Postby thisbjgz on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:36 am

jayy_zee wrote:Am I the only one who has been disappointed with what they've seen of Nash so far this preseason? He's missing alot of these same shots he was making consistently with the suns. Even some of his passes have been bad. I'm seeing shades of the 2004 season all over again...

Chill Debbie downer
thisbjgz

Postby Snake Eyes on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:39 am

jayy_zee wrote:Am I the only one who has been disappointed with what they've seen of Nash so far this preseason? He's missing alot of these same shots he was making consistently with the suns. Even some of his passes have been bad. I'm seeing shades of the 2004 season all over again...

I have seen parts of games via stream but tonight was the first time I really got to sit down and watch a game. I noticed Nash did not play well, but he still had a somewhat positive stat line: 7 assists, 4 points (only took four shots) and 3 turnovers. Not a great game by any means, but I think he just needs to adjust to the Lakers offense. Nash has always been a great competitor with an incredible drive. I still have full confidence that he will put things together and be a fantastic point guard for us.
Snake Eyes

Postby GoldenKnight on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:59 am

Nash hasn't been playing like Steve Nash too often in the pre-season, flashes here & there but nothing consistent yet. The 1st game we saw more control of the offense by Nash instead of running the team offense and I myself thought he looked good in that game. Recently too much swinging the ball around with the whole team and by the time Nash gets it back he doesn't have too much time to operate. Hope this isn't the Ramon Sessions effect all over again, a player excels running the floor when he has complete control to the offense....until Mike Brown says no. They need to let Nash handle the ball more, nothing can go wrong when you let him do so.

Steve will find a way to be effective though, remember...he is the one that has to figure out everyone's sweet spots & know their timing. I am not worried about Nash, this is only the pre-season..we have 82 games to get it together as long as injuries don't play a factor during the season.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby dj vitus on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:49 pm

If it makes anyone feel better, he shot 2/17 in threes the last two pre-seasons combined, and he averaged only 6 to 7 assists.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby MambaFromDownUnder on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:06 pm

Nash and Jamison will be the ones who will come out of their shell when the games start having value.
MambaFromDownUnder

Postby Finwë on Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:00 pm

"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:06 pm

:man13: (no homo) :jam2:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:28 pm

Where's that pic from?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion