Steve Nash Discussion: Retiring; Lakers Disabled Exception

Re: Steve Nash Discussion: passes Magic in all time assists

Postby gcclaker on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:07 pm

therealdeal wrote:There was a point yesterday when Steve took over the game. I want to say it was in the 3rd.

But I was watching him do his thing and I just couldn't help thinking "why the f*** are we fighting for the 8th seed?" :man10:

Were we THAT banged up?? Was our chemistry THAT awful?... Geez. We've got an amazing PG, the best C, and the best SG. What the hell?

Players missing chunks of time led to disjointed practices. Not having time to adjust to each other means to team chemistry on the floor. Right now, everything is on the fly.

Re: Nash... It really helps when he looks for his shot in open space rather than deferring. His timely outside shooting was instrumental in keeping pace yesterday. In the end though, he was smart enough to give it to 24 and let him go to work.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:46 pm

Chillbongo wrote:^ I wouldn't go that far. These last 3 wins were against an ECF 7th seed in Boston, a 10th seed in Portland, and an 11th seed in Dallas.

I like Pau but I am ready to move him as well, but I wouldn't say he is a luxury. He did play well in that OKC game we pulled out a few weeks back.

He's a very special luxury. :man10:

Look, if he could net us Danny Granger or Luol Deng or someone in that mold, you don't think that'd be more important than what he gives us off the bench?

That's what I mean by luxury.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:48 pm

gcclaker wrote:Players missing chunks of time led to disjointed practices. Not having time to adjust to each other means to team chemistry on the floor. Right now, everything is on the fly.

Re: Nash... It really helps when he looks for his shot in open space rather than deferring. His timely outside shooting was instrumental in keeping pace yesterday. In the end though, he was smart enough to give it to 24 and let him go to work.

I actually don't like that plan on most nights. I don't like the Kobe-iso from the 3 point line. I'd much rather see an action that gets Kobe at the block so he's not so far away. Then I'd like to see the guys moving more. Have Howard set a screen for Clark or something. Don't just stand there and look at Kobe do his thing. We get caught with our pants down more often than not that way.

I know people missed time and whatnot... I guess I'm just disappointed that it took this long for them to get comfortable on the floor. Steve Nash now compared to Steve Nash in November is a completely different guy.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:57 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:^ I wouldn't go that far. These last 3 wins were against an ECF 7th seed in Boston, a 10th seed in Portland, and an 11th seed in Dallas.

I like Pau but I am ready to move him as well, but I wouldn't say he is a luxury. He did play well in that OKC game we pulled out a few weeks back.

He's a very special luxury. :man10:

Look, if he could net us Danny Granger or Luol Deng or someone in that mold, you don't think that'd be more important than what he gives us off the bench?

That's what I mean by luxury.

No Deng, no deal!
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Right?

Imagine a lineup of:
Nash/Blake/min.
Bryant/Meeks/min.
Deng/Artest
Clark/Jamison/min.
Howard/Hill/Sacre

Isn't that nicer? Doesn't that seem to click better?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:08 pm

Hell yeah with the way Clark & Jamo have been playing. They fit great with Dwight and although Pau has great vision, he does make it more of a struggle for Dwight (though in my mind, they CAN co-exist).

Deng is extremely efficient from the field, is young, AND can guard Durant & LeBron.

At that point , we're better off moving MWP IMO. He's momentum player. And although his D has been fantastic and he has given us timely offensive boosts (albeit rare & ineffective for the most part)I think his game would drop off a bit. Just a thought, not like we haven't seen him do it before.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:19 pm

The problem is no one wants Metta World Peace the player. :man10:

Metta World Peace the player is a great one-on-one defender, but is slow, unathletic, an offensive liability from just about anywhere on the floor, an unwilling passer, and a poor decision maker.

Just about everybody wants this version of Gasol. No, he's not what he was, but he's still a skilled 7 footer who is versatile and a good passer. Not a shot blocker and not a good help defender, but not a bad post defender and still a good rebounder.

The value is in Pau, not Metta. Even though Metta as an 8 million expiring is still a nice contract.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:06 pm

Yes, Deng would be a great fit. Suddenly, with Deng/Clark/Dwight, you have a monstrous front court: Tall, long, athletic, all good defenders.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:20 pm

Why are we discussing MWP and Deng in the Steve Nash thread? :man3:
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:57 pm

You had to be there.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:57 am

Nash has definitely been playing a lot better of late. Looking like the old Nash. But his D still sucks but what do you expect with a slow, 39 year old anyways.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:21 am

WHere is the Nashty love? The dude has been a magician.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:27 am

With Dwight setting legitimate screens now, Nash has been popping off lately. :man10:

He's finding space EVERYWHERE to get his shot off. Teams will just continue to give Dwight all of their attention. I noticed in this Wolves game it seemed like at times Dwight would be double and triple teamed and Nash is just dribbling the ball WIDE open. I wanted Dwight to get more touches, but Nash made every right decision in the last game in pick and rolls with Dwight.

I can see him WANTING to give Dwight the ball, but teams are daring him to score. So score he shall. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:36 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:WHere is the Nashty love? The dude has been a magician.

I have much love for Nash! As I mentioned many times here already, I'm so stoked to have this guy on our team. And with Blake playing so much better we are really in good shape right now at PG.

The hard screens by Dwight have got Nash back in business. That pick and roll game is awesome. Dwight needs to work on rolling though. He dropped the slip screen which is fine because it wasn't working, but he still needs to figure out how to get open after he screens Nash's man.

But it's great stuff. Nash Howard P and R is developing now, and that was the main thing I wanted to see this year. So I'm very pleased about that. And of course, with that P and R, Nash looks like himself again. That's what I wanted. Not the Princeton.

Now if we can get some pick and pop with Pau and Nash when Gasol returns, that would just add to the mix. People need to remember, just as you said Puffy, that these guys simply have not had the time to work together yet because of all of the injuries. They are still a work in progress, but haven't even truly begun to work because Pau and Nash (each at different times of course) have been hurt for much of the year. That's not an excuse. That's just the truth of the matter.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Nikez on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:59 am

Freaking love this dude :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

Report: Steve Nash happy in L.A.
Updated: February 28, 2013, 1:08 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Steve Nash says he does not regret his decision to join the Los Angeles Lakers.

Nash acknowledged facing "challenges" in an interview Wednesday with USA Today Sports but also told the website that he does not regret the sign-and-trade deal that sent the two-time MVP from the Phoenix Suns to the Lakers.

"Ten out of 10 times, I make the same decision again," Nash told USA Today.

Nash opted to join the Lakers this past offseason instead of signing with the New York Knicks or Toronto Raptors, a pair of East Coast teams that reportedly pursued the 39-year-old point guard.

It'd be nice, in some ways, to have a bigger impact on the game. You have to balance it with all the guys, all their needs and personalities. I embrace it. I really appreciate it. I could still be in Phoenix and have the ball in my hands the majority of the time and probably be out of the playoffs again, so it's worthy of trying something new -- especially since the upside here is potentially great.

-- Steve Nash to USA Today Sports
Nash repeatedly has stated that playing in Los Angeles would allow him to more frequently see his children, who reside in the Phoenix area, and he reiterated those sentiments to USA Today.

"I've gotten to see my kids probably four times as much as I'd seen them if I'd have gone back East," Nash told the website. "That's first and foremost. Second of all, it's a great experience to play for the Lakers organization. ... I'm happy here.

"I'm beyond playing for the credit or the adulation. I feel secure in myself as a player. I just want to help this team, regardless of what it means for me personally."

The Lakers (28-30) trail the Houston Rockets by 2½ games for the eighth seed in the Western Conference and are in danger of missing the playoffs for the first time since the 2004-05 season.

Nash's agent, Bill Duffy, told the website that his client would have considered retiring if he had been unable to stay close to his family.

"If L.A. wouldn't have worked, I honestly think he would've considered retiring," Duffy told USA Today. "He said that three or four times from July 1 to July 5, and I was saying, 'If he wants to retire, I have to respect it, but let's piece this thing together so you can get what you want and continue to play.'"

The Herd with Colin Cowherd

ESPN NBA analyst Bruce Bowen dishes on Stephen Curry's 54-point output against the Knicks, the state of the Heat, whether the Lakers will reach the playoffs and more.

More Podcasts »
Nash also received rave reviews from Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak and coach Mike D'Antoni, who both told USA Today that they admire the eight-time All-Star's willingness to accept a lesser role on Los Angeles' star-studded roster.

"His desire to figure out a way to make it work is remarkable," Kupchak told the website. "He's always prodding, always making the sacrifice. Yet you have to catch yourself and say, 'This is a two-time MVP.' He could certainly say, 'No, I'm not changing. You've got to do it my way.' How many two-time MVPs are as accommodating as he is?"

Nash is averaging just 7.1 assists per game this season, his lowest mark since the 1999-2000 campaign as a member of the Dallas Mavericks.

Nash's current statistics pale in comparison to the numbers he put up in Phoenix, where he averaged at least 11 assists in five of his eight seasons while leading the NBA in assists six times.

D'Antoni, who coached Nash for four seasons in Phoenix, told USA Today that he wished more members of his current team made similar sacrifices.

"It's too bad not everybody is like that, because that would make my job and everybody's job ... a lot easier," he told the website. "It's not like that, but [Nash is] hard to put in words because he's the best you can be -- with his teammates, with his coaching staff. He's the best. It doesn't get any better than that."

Nash also admitted that adjusting to a lesser role has been difficult, but he told USA Today that he "embraces" playing with Lakers All-Stars Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard.

"It's been different. It's been an adjustment," he told the website. "But I want to embrace these challenges. I'm at a stage of my career with a new club where I'm playing with Kobe -- he's a great player -- and finding that balance and accepting and embracing that opportunity is key. It'd be nice, in some ways, to have a bigger impact on the game. You have to balance it with all the guys, all their needs and personalities. I embrace it.

"I really appreciate it. I could still be in Phoenix and have the ball in my hands the majority of the time and probably be out of the playoffs again, so it's worthy of trying something new -- especially since the upside here is potentially great."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... ing-report

I really hope we can win another championship next season or 2015. How sweet would it be to get kobe that 6th and have nash finally taste the glory. He's always been a player I could never hate and now that he's on our team it's impossible not to love this guy.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby karacha on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:05 pm

His shooting percentages:

51/44 (!)/90.

:man3:

That's uh... pretty decent.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:27 pm

Wow
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby KB24 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:45 am

Nash really is the first shooter than comes to the Lakers and actually shoots great.

He is just that good. Everytime he shoots, I expect it to go in. Probably the greatest shooter in NBA history. He also makes awkward shots, off of one leg, fallaways, off the dribble pull ups, stationary 3s, screen and pops..he really has every single trick in the shooting book.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:13 am

Everytime he's missing a shot , I'm like " c'mon Steve you can't miss that" ... that's how good of a shooter he is ... I don't think I've ever seen a player with little size and athleticism getting his own shot up so easily
wcsoldier81

Postby JSM on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:24 pm

^ Yep. Even when he goes up and under between 3 defenders all waiting to block his shot and is falling to the floor, I still expect him to make that shot. Crazy. I expect him to make some shots that I don't even expect Kobe to make.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby gcclaker on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:57 am

KB24 wrote:Nash really is the first shooter than comes to the Lakers and actually shoots great.

He is just that good. Everytime he shoots, I expect it to go in. Probably the greatest shooter in NBA history. He also makes awkward shots, off of one leg, fallaways, off the dribble pull ups, stationary 3s, screen and pops..he really has every single trick in the shooting book.

Solid focus plus textbook shooting form and follow through that he has not altered throughout his career. Every time Nash misses a shot, I am shocked. Hell, those two charity stripe misses in Detroit is a rarity.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:19 am

gcclaker wrote:
KB24 wrote:Nash really is the first shooter than comes to the Lakers and actually shoots great.

Solid focus plus textbook shooting form and follow through that he has not altered throughout his career. Every time Nash misses a shot, I am shocked. Hell, those two charity stripe misses in Detroit is a rarity.

So true! I'm much more surprised when he misses than he makes a shot. I love me some Nash! :bow:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:12 pm

During today's Thunder-Clipper game, they showed who was in the 50/40/90 season % list [FG/3PTSHOT/FT] and Nash was in there FOUR [count em FOUR!] times. That Bird guy did it twice.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:45 pm

gcclaker wrote:

Plus downright Kobe-esque footwork once he's picked up his dribble and is trapped between multiple defenders. Pivot planted, now you have me, now you don't step through and put up a decent shot. Very Kobe like in that regard. Especially for a short white guy that can't jump.
LTLakerFan

Postby Finwë on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:03 pm

I thought he was a little underutilized this game. We got the W, but I would like to see the ball in his hands a bit more to close games. He's still a clutch player, and we all know about his playmaking and shooting. It could make Kobe's job easier too, find him on the catch for a jumper, put him on the post, etc.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion