Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Re: Steve Nash Discussion: hopes to play in Playoffs (149)

Postby Weezy on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:51 pm

He's old. Can't shoot (for this game anyway), can't really run, can't seem to pass anything like he used to, defense is at an all time worst level, I don't know old man, retirement might be wise.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:52 pm

It's going to be a rough next two years if he's our starting PG. 10 million to be put on a minute limitation under 30 minutes is just the wrong way to go about spending money and taking up capspace.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:54 pm

retirement time.

it's not even the production alone. i always saw this dude as a guy who galvanizes others around him and leads. doesn't shy away from big moments. i saw nothing of that this year. maybe a glimmer...once.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby hollywood swinger on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:59 pm

Nash = done & done. Where are all the klowns bashing me all season when i said he is finished & not a starting pg in this league anymore?
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby therealdeal on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:00 pm

Doc Brown wrote:It's going to be a rough next two years if he's our starting PG. 10 million to be put on a minute limitation under 30 minutes is just the wrong way to go about spending money and taking up capspace.

This.

It's time to let go for Steve Nash.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:02 pm

Shoot better.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:12 pm

I wasn't really expecting much, I assumed he'd be kinda rusty and not really effective.
I liked that he was agressive looking for his shot to start, but unfortunately it just wasn't falling, uncharacteristically so.

I don't think we should be talking retirement yet. His contract is kinda ridiculous, yet, but when healthy the guy is still a very good PG.
The problem is staying healthy, and his back does concern me, but we can't say his first injury was an age-related thing or something like that, it was just a freak injury. We can't know what we would've looked like if he hadn't been sidelined for that much time to start the season. It's likely that his chemistry with others and leadership (something lakersyunowin was talking about) would've been much better and effective, not to mention that his own individual production would've probably been better too.
The personnel doesn't really suit him, we lack shooters, we clog the lane, we play a slow pace..
Maybe we should trade him, but I don't think he should retire, and I'd bet in a team with personnel more suited to his skillset (like his previous one) he'd look a lot more like the Steve Nash we all are familiar with.
He said himself that aside from the injuries and their unfortunate consequences he's actually felt very well, and that adapting to the team was the bigger struggle.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby borri on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:16 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:It's going to be a rough next two years if he's our starting PG. 10 million to be put on a minute limitation under 30 minutes is just the wrong way to go about spending money and taking up capspace.

This.

Yeah, I'd be pretty happy if Nash decides to retire this offseason. Beyond wishful thinking.
borri

Postby The Rock on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:21 pm

Or make him join the team midway through the season? I dont think he can get through an 82 game season anymore he couldn't even get through tonight's game

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:21 pm

lakersyunowin wrote:retirement time.

it's not even the production alone. i always saw this dude as a guy who galvanizes others around him and leads. doesn't shy away from big moments. i saw nothing of that this year. maybe a glimmer...once.

It's crazy isn't it? What happened to the firey old gamer Nash? Directing the offense, leading his guys, making brilliant passes making the game easy for everyone, playing with his fire in his eyes and blood gushing from his nose? Of course he's older now, but man it's like he's not even the same person, like he's just trying to blend in and be a shooter. I don't expect him to be that same old guy exactly at 39, but not even a little bit of that guy?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby hollywood swinger on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:22 pm

borri wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

This.

Yeah, I'd be pretty happy if Nash decides to retire this offseason. Beyond wishful thinking.

just a question. were any of you 3 bashing me for saying nash was done earlier in season and not a starter in league anymore ?
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby The Rock on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:34 pm

^ he was playing well before the recent injury in March. Nobody thought he'd be impacted this much by injuries.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:34 pm

hollywood swinger wrote:
borri wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

This.

just a question. were any of you 3 bashing me for saying nash was done earlier in season and not a starter in league anymore ?

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Weezy wrote:
lakersyunowin wrote:retirement time.

It's crazy isn't it? What happened to the firey old gamer Nash? Directing the offense, leading his guys, making brilliant passes making the game easy for everyone, playing with his fire in his eyes and blood gushing from his nose? Of course he's older now, but man it's like he's not even the same person, like he's just trying to blend in and be a shooter. I don't expect him to be that same old guy exactly at 39, but not even a little bit of that guy?

maybe the lifestyle got to him. sporting that stylish haircut, wearing those suits. he didn't seem to care about that in phoenix, that's for sure.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby BuzzerBeater on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:44 pm

Finwë wrote:I wasn't really expecting much, I assumed he'd be kinda rusty and not really effective.
I liked that he was agressive looking for his shot to start, but unfortunately it just wasn't falling, uncharacteristically so.

I don't think we should be talking retirement yet. His contract is kinda ridiculous, yet, but when healthy the guy is still a very good PG.
The problem is staying healthy, and his back does concern me, but we can't say his first injury was an age-related thing or something like that, it was just a freak injury. We can't know what we would've looked like if he hadn't been sidelined for that much time to start the season. It's likely that his chemistry with others and leadership (something lakersyunowin was talking about) would've been much better and effective, not to mention that his own individual production would've probably been better too.
The personnel doesn't really suit him, we lack shooters, we clog the lane, we play a slow pace..
Maybe we should trade him, but I don't think he should retire, and I'd bet in a team with personnel more suited to his skillset (like his previous one) he'd look a lot more like the Steve Nash we all are familiar with.
He said himself that aside from the injuries and their unfortunate consequences he's actually felt very well, and that adapting to the team was the bigger struggle.

What would happen this season if we kept Bynum? :man13:
BuzzerBeater

Postby Nashty Gal on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:45 pm

I still believe in Nashty
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby Armani on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:51 pm

Meh... mostly overreaction from an injury game. He might not play well this series, but should be fine and healthy next year. Limiting minutes won't be a challenge, if Blake plays the way he did this year. Limit Nash to 25 mins in the regular season, and move it up in the postseason.
Armani

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:55 pm

Rooscooter wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote::man10: @ people who thinks Nash makes us worse

Yet you're the one that thinks Kobe makes us worse....

Keep trying..... :man10:

How obtuse do you have to be to repeatedly ignore my posts explaining that I do NOT think we're better without Kobe, but that we're better defensively. It seems most of your posts hinge on fabricating a bunch of non sense just so you have something to say.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby BuzzerBeater on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:56 pm

Armani wrote:Meh... mostly overreaction from an injury game. He might not play well this series, but should be fine and healthy next year. Limiting minutes won't be a challenge, if Blake plays the way he did this year. Limit Nash to 25 mins in the regular season, and move it up in the postseason.

+1

We have problems at SG (without Kobe), SF and PF.
BuzzerBeater

Postby Weezy on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:58 pm

Armani wrote:Meh... mostly overreaction from an injury game. He might not play well this series, but should be fine and healthy next year. Limiting minutes won't be a challenge, if Blake plays the way he did this year. Limit Nash to 25 mins in the regular season, and move it up in the postseason.

It's not overreaction, he hasn't been fine and healthy half of this season. Even when he's played most of the time he hasn't looked like himself. He had some great games this season, he had some good ones, some ok ones, and some really, really bad ones. I see nothing based on his play and health this season that leads me to believe he will be fine and healthy next season, when he's even OLDER. And we're talking about 'Antoni as coach here, he's not going to play Nash 25 mpg, he's just not. I'm not counting on Blake next season either, we need to get a starting guard and make Nash a backup, get a better quality young backup that CAN allow Nash to play much fewer minutes, or Nash needs to really think about calling it a career. Now I see why Kobe says he doesn't want to play as a diminished, aging role player, it's sad to see once great players go out like this.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:02 pm

hollywood swinger wrote:
borri wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

This.

If you want, i can start bashing you now. :man12:
borri

Postby BuzzerBeater on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Weezy wrote:

It's not overreaction, he hasn't been fine and healthy half of this season. Even when he's played most of the time he hasn't looked like himself. He had some great games this season, he had some good ones, some ok ones, and some really, really bad ones. I see nothing based on his play and health this season that leads me to believe he will be fine and healthy next season, when he's even OLDER. And we're talking about 'Antoni as coach here, he's not going to play Nash 25 mpg, he's just not. I'm not counting on Blake next season either, we need to get a starting guard and make Nash a backup, get a better quality young backup that CAN allow Nash to play much fewer minutes, or Nash needs to really think about calling it a career. Now I see why Kobe says he doesn't want to play as a diminished, aging role player, it's sad to see once great players go out like this.

Gimme names...Vasquez? Rubio? Holiday? Lawson? maybe Calderon? i wish we could hire Curry.
BuzzerBeater

Postby SpencerHarrison on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:13 pm

Another game of bad shooting, and ugly weird looking half court play. He had a couple of decent passes sprinkled in, but Nash just hasn't played winning basketball for the Lakers all season long. I'm sick of hearing announcers talk about how legendary Nash's shooting is. Fine, great. Then hit a shot.

I would rather see Morris on D at the point, and Nash sitting. He's playing losing basketball, end of story.
SpencerHarrison

Postby Weezy on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:17 pm

BuzzerBeater wrote:
Weezy wrote:

Gimme names...Vasquez? Rubio? Holiday? Lawson? maybe Calderon? i wish we could hire Curry.

At the moment, I can't, because the playoffs still have to play out, we have to see who does what, and who becomes available because of it, and what teams would be willing to take Pau, what free agent backup PG's would be willing to take whatever MLE we have, mini, part of full, or full.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Armani on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Weezy wrote:

Age does matter, but Kobe this year was better than he had been in the past two. I distinctly remember Nash schooling guys like Deron midway through the season, too. I didn't really envision him being his all star Phoenix self. I mean... this guy was really only required to be our 3rd or 4th best player - and he's played that way when healthy. Just move back a few pages in the thread, and you'll just see praises about his money shot/decision making.

As far as D'Antoni controlling minutes or not... out of our control, but he's generally made adjustments this year when he felt something was working. I would love to have him off the bench next season, in any case. Sort of like Andre Miller is with the Nuggets, ya know? I can totally see Nash filling in that role.
Armani

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion