Steve Nash Discussion: Retiring; Lakers Disabled Exception

Re: Nash Discussion: Forced to Consid- oh nevermind (180)

Postby LOSLAKERS on Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:53 pm

I still think Nash will prove helpful this year.
LOSLAKERS

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:04 pm

I just do not see where Nash fits on this team this year. Sorry. He needs to hang it up for his own good and for ours.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:07 pm

LOSLAKERS wrote:I still think Nash will prove helpful this year.

Yes, in a way... he can prove to be very helpful. :man1:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:10 pm

I feel for Nash, I really do, but he's a hindrance right now. Him playing every other game doesn't help us, it doesn't help build chemistry and rhythm for us to have a different starting PG every few games. It also doesn't help because he's a liability on the court, he can't play defense, and on offense he's not making plays and for the first time in his career he's not making shots, his percentages are terrible, we are clearly better without him. Him playing also pushes Blake to the 2 spot where he's wasted, and it messes with the rotation in other ways, a domino effect. I get that he wants to go out on his own terms, he has pride, his career is coming to an end, I have no hate for him at all. I feel like he's a little bit in denial though, and I do wish he'd call it a career for the sake of this franchise.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:13 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:I really don't get all the hate for Nash on this board. The guy is trying to hold on to what he loves to do. The majority of us would do the same thing. Is he holding on to a dying career? Yes. Can we really blame him for tyring? No. It would be nice if he retired as it would help the Lakers overall but we signed him and he has the right to play. I hope he doesn't try to hold on too long for his sake. If he tries to play then I'll support him like I always do. I believe he will have to retire though.

He's trying at the detriment of the team though... there is now way he's going to be more valuable than Blake and Farmar this season .
wcsoldier81

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:28 pm

Weezy wrote:I feel for Nash, I really do, but he's a hindrance right now. Him playing every other game doesn't help us, it doesn't help build chemistry and rhythm for us to have a different starting PG every few games. It also doesn't help because he's a liability on the court, he can't play defense, and on offense he's not making plays and for the first time in his career he's not making shots, his percentages are terrible, we are clearly better without him. Him playing also pushes Blake to the 2 spot where he's wasted, and it messes with the rotation in other ways, a domino effect. I get that he wants to go out on his own terms, he has pride, his career is coming to an end, I have no hate for him at all. I feel like he's a little bit in denial though, and I do wish he'd call it a career for the sake of this franchise.

^^ This, exactly. No hate for Nash. Love the guy and said so. But let's call it a career already.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Frank Dux on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:31 pm

Weezy wrote:I feel for Nash, I really do, but he's a hindrance right now. Him playing every other game doesn't help us, it doesn't help build chemistry and rhythm for us to have a different starting PG every few games. It also doesn't help because he's a liability on the court, he can't play defense, and on offense he's not making plays and for the first time in his career he's not making shots, his percentages are terrible, we are clearly better without him. Him playing also pushes Blake to the 2 spot where he's wasted, and it messes with the rotation in other ways, a domino effect. I get that he wants to go out on his own terms, he has pride, his career is coming to an end, I have no hate for him at all. I feel like he's a little bit in denial though, and I do wish he'd call it a career for the sake of this franchise.

Yeah the playing every other day thing really irks me. This isn't a well oiled team like the Spurs, where Pop can just insert whatever player he wants into his system and thrive- Systematically giving his vets rest... This is a young team, a team of nobodies, and failures trying to make a name for themselves. This isn't a contending team, and I want to see us use this year as a "try out" for next year, where the young ones can prove they belong, and also further develop their skills. We don't need Nash hanging around taking every other night off, ruining the chemistry and rhythm of our every day guys.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby 432J on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:47 pm

poor steve came to LA to win a ring and now he has a million different injuries and the lakers are pretty much in a rebuild

just retire already
432J

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:47 am

I don't want him playing at all; Farmar is starting to find his groove and Blake is playing exceptionally well...we don't need him.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby jlkr on Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Lots of players dream of going out on their terms. Very few actually do it.

Baylor retired just ahead of the Lakers first title season in LA due to chronic knee injury issues.
West would have played longer but struggling with chronic groin muscle issues forced him out.
English was very effective at 35 and likely could have played until 40, but the knee injury forced him out.
Jabbar hung on about 2 years too long. Was agonizing at times to watch him during his last season.
Bird's back issues forced him out at 35.
Isaiah Thomas ruptured his ACL and lost his motivation for playing the game. At 32.
Worthy suffered chronic tendinitis in his knees during the last 3 seasons of his career. That last season was painful to watch. I'll bet the knees still bother him some days.

Father Time always wins, that is the one constant in every sport.
At least Kobe seems to understand this.
Gasol probably gets it too.

Nash is in firm denial. Gonna be painful watching this play out.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby CarFlagChris on Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:08 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:I really don't get all the hate for Nash on this board. The guy is trying to hold on to what he loves to do. The majority of us would do the same thing. Is he holding on to a dying career? Yes. Can we really blame him for tyring? No. It would be nice if he retired as it would help the Lakers overall but we signed him and he has the right to play. I hope he doesn't try to hold on too long for his sake. If he tries to play then I'll support him like I always do. I believe he will have to retire though.

He's trying at the detriment of the team though... there is now way he's going to be more valuable than Blake and Farmar this season .

Agreed. It would have been different if (a) he were healthy, (b) there was a half-court offense featuring Dwightmare Howard or (c) the Lakers didn't have any other guards who could play.

Time to find a way to make it a "Steve Nash" night, with him in street clothes, and make him an assistant coach.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Hopefully management takes any opportunity they get to make sure he isn't on the cap next summer. I hope he comes back & plays his best ball as a Laker so we can dump him. Blake & Farmar aren't guys who should be starting at PG but they're both so much better than Nash at this point. & more importantly they actually play defense.. GS would have gotten away with Iggy at PG last night if we had old man Nash on him for 30 minutes.
LakersN4

Postby MISSINGNO on Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:29 pm

He's not going to retire. I'm sure he'll rest a lot more but he can coach from the bench. I think he's our new Fisher, as in teaching and motivating the team. The team seems to love him.
MISSINGNO

Postby CarFlagChris on Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:14 pm

MISSINGNO wrote:He's not going to retire. I'm sure he'll rest a lot more but he can coach from the bench. I think he's our new Fisher, as in teaching and motivating the team. The team seems to love him.

Isn't his 10 million annual salary approximately 20% of the $58 million salary cap?
http://www.nba.com/media/CBA101_9.12.pdf

The new CBA is too punitive to allow a Steve Nash to remain on the rooster for $10 mil, unfortunately.
But, can the Lakers kick him off to free up space?
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:22 pm

tinfoil hat: maybe he's just sandbagging til the lakers have a good free agency offseason. (even i don't believe this :man10: )
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby LakersN4 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:03 pm

CarFlagChris wrote:
MISSINGNO wrote:He's not going to retire. I'm sure he'll rest a lot more but he can coach from the bench. I think he's our new Fisher, as in teaching and motivating the team. The team seems to love him.

Isn't his 10 million annual salary approximately 20% of the $58 million salary cap?
http://www.nba.com/media/CBA101_9.12.pdf

The new CBA is too punitive to allow a Steve Nash to remain on the rooster for $10 mil, unfortunately.
But, can the Lakers kick him off to free up space?

They can use the stretch exception on him.. that would allow us to spread his cap hit over 3 seasons instead of 1 I believe.. There's always the small chance he wants to retire where he played the best basketball of his career & agrees to a buyout to sign with Phx & hang em up.
LakersN4

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:25 am

With Kobe signing his new deal, this guy needs to go now. Get all his salary off the books.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:28 am

Doc Brown wrote:With Kobe signing his new deal, this guy needs to go now. Get all his salary off the books.

Bingo.

Also, if he's really as hell bent on actually playing out this contract then the Lakers should move him anyway. It's not fair to us to have to deal with that.

If Nash is still saying these same things going into the trade deadline I wouldn't be surprised if Mitch tried to move him.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:36 am

^^ Yep. Come on Nash, shut it down already.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Re: Nash Discussion: Forced to Consider Med. Retirement (178)

Postby dj vitus on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:47 am

MusixFinest wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:Melo is uni-dimensional i.e just a scorer and does not perform well in the playoffs ... Melo can score but isn't a complete player nor possesses the intangibles to have a championship level impact on a team.

Kobe/Melo would be a terrible fit

Plus I don't know how a team with two starters not playing any kind of the D would win a title

Umm...Chris Bosh is pretty uni-dimensional and with the Raptors, did not perform well in the playoffs. In fact, he kinda disappeared in the Finals last year. Yet, he's a vital part of that Big 3. You're telling me, Melo can't have the same kinda impact here that Chris does in Miami???

Bosh may not even sniff the Hall of Fame, but he's still a much better defender than Melo, and made the blazing hot Danny Green his little female dog in the Finals. Tipped the scale for the Heat.

I don't remember the last championship team where the top two guys didn't play defense. Kobe/Melo I don't think would ever work unless we surround them with NBA All-Defensive players or something.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby kenzo on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:49 am

Doc Brown wrote:With Kobe signing his new deal, this guy needs to go now. Get all his salary off the books.

Why? Kobe being greedy is not Steve's fault :man12: :man9:.
kenzo

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:52 am

100%.. trade him for the best role player on an expiring contract we're offered.. Can't hold out for picks etc.. With Kobe's deal we can't even have him on the books for what he would cost if we use the stretch provision..
LakersN4

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:53 am

kenzo wrote:

Why? Kobe being greedy is not Steve's fault :man12: :man9:.

Steve hanging on to collect a check is his fault.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:41 pm

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 3m
Nash: "I have no doubt that I'll get back on the court ... w/ all the issues w/ my spine ... it’s a matter of how sustainable is it"
Expand

Cool story bro.

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 18m
Pau Gasol said Kobe looked "really good" at practice. How about Nash? Pau: "I can't say he looked as good as Kobe"
Expand

:man10:
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:45 pm

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing 37m
After training in Vancouver, Nash feels better but said his goal is to get out of this "tenuous" stage and to where he can sustain things.
Expand

So much for that 2 week injury.

Mark Medina ‏@MarkG_Medina 49m
Steve Nash said it's "very unlikely" he will play Fri vs. Sac. Nash practiced for 10 minutes today, plans to practice 15 tomorrow
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

Can't even practice 15 minutes yet?

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 51m
In short, Nash’s back - among other ailments - is susceptible to further damage if he doesn’t get it to a certain point of strength.
Expand

That's not going to happen with his chronic back history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion