Steve Nash Discussion: Retiring; Lakers Disabled Exception

Re: Nash Discussion: Forced to Consid- oh nevermind (180)

Postby trodgers on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:57 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
trodgers wrote:Nash won't take a career ending injury this season. He's getting paid and might wonder if he can come back...so it makes no sense. "Pushing" a player to do that would probably be illegal.

He would still get paid ... this money wouldn't count towards the salary cap though

He's done playing pro Ball so yeah it makes sense ... "try to convince" him if you prefer ...

I totes misunderstood you. Trying to convince someone to take a medical retirement is definitely different from forcing someone to retire. My bad.

BTW, didn't Cuttino Mobley sue a team for "trying to convince" him to take a Medical Retirement? It's still risky business.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Savory Griddles on Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:33 pm

trodgers wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:
trodgers wrote:Nash won't take a career ending injury this season. He's getting paid and might wonder if he can come back...so it makes no sense. "Pushing" a player to do that would probably be illegal.

He would still get paid ... this money wouldn't count towards the salary cap though

He's done playing pro Ball so yeah it makes sense ... "try to convince" him if you prefer ...

I totes misunderstood you. Trying to convince someone to take a medical retirement is definitely different from forcing someone to retire. My bad.

BTW, didn't Cuttino Mobley sue a team for "trying to convince" him to take a Medical Retirement? It's still risky business.

I honestly don't think they'd ever ask him to. I think Nash, if he couldn't make it back, would do it voluntarily. He's a stand up guy and it doesn't cost him anything.
Savory Griddles

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:01 pm

Plan B is still the stretch provision, but I agree with the Doc on this one. We're at 6 games...

It was a great career, but its time to call it, Steve.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:08 pm

Can any player be more useless? I can't remember a Laker in the past decade stealing money like Nash. Not even Luke or Gump were this garbage. I don't even care about him at this point. He is a waste of time and oxygen at this point. Just go away asap.

He is like our Divac signing or McKie...just garbage but he gets paid a lot more.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Helljumper on Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:20 pm

Damn, you guys are harsh ...

Dude's hurt and trying to fight back because he loves playing the game. He's a consummate professional and he's always laid everything on the line for his franchise. Yes, in this case, he's done and it would probably be best for us if he retired. But when you're one of the greatest to ever play the game, it's difficult to look at the situation objectively and realize that. In Nash's eyes, retiring now would be quitting on his team. He still thinks he can contribute if he can just figure out a way to get healthy. (And although you guys have a weird memory about this, he WAS able to contribute when he was healthy last year. He was shooting efficiently and able to be an effective playmaker ... until he was neutered because Coward didn't wanna play P&R.) Now we all know that realistically he won't be able to find a clean bill of health again. If you've listened to his recent interviews, you'd know that Nash is slowly coming to terms with that fact as well. I'm confident he'll help the franchise out and retire at the end of the season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no extra benefit for our cap situation if he retires now or waits till the seasons over. You guys are just being impatient and letting your frustration with this mess of a season boil over into hatred for one of the classiest guys in the NBA.
Helljumper

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Just in case any members here didnt know but if we do use the stretch provision Nash's salary would be $3 million on our books next year instead of $9 million.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:10 am

Helljumper wrote:Damn, you guys are harsh ...

Dude's hurt and trying to fight back because he loves playing the game. He's a consummate professional and he's always laid everything on the line for his franchise. Yes, in this case, he's done and it would probably be best for us if he retired. But when you're one of the greatest to ever play the game, it's difficult to look at the situation objectively and realize that. In Nash's eyes, retiring now would be quitting on his team. He still thinks he can contribute if he can just figure out a way to get healthy. (And although you guys have a weird memory about this, he WAS able to contribute when he was healthy last year. He was shooting efficiently and able to be an effective playmaker ... until he was neutered because Coward didn't wanna play P&R.) Now we all know that realistically he won't be able to find a clean bill of health again. If you've listened to his recent interviews, you'd know that Nash is slowly coming to terms with that fact as well. I'm confident he'll help the franchise out and retire at the end of the season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no extra benefit for our cap situation if he retires now or waits till the seasons over. You guys are just being impatient and letting your frustration with this mess of a season boil over into hatred for one of the classiest guys in the NBA.

Of course , there is ... his salary wouldn't count towards the cap if he retires for a "ending career injury" reason during the season... if he waits until the regular season is over , his salary would count ...

Unloading Pau or Nash , the two main ways we have to go under the tax apron ... which is key for the mid-term future ( I explained it in the Pau thread).

As for Nash contribution to our franchise , the negative outweighs the positive by a good margin ...

I root for the team , not for players ... the goal is to win , not to avoid hurting players feelings
wcsoldier81

Postby earvinfr on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:19 am

If Nash retires on career ending injury, does he still get his money through insurance ? If so, I really don't understand why he's still trying to come back !!
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:05 am

Helljumper wrote:Damn, you guys are harsh ...

If he just retires at the end of the season that 9 million he is owed is still on the books. If he plays over 10 games this season we can't get a medical retirement for him and his money is still on the books.

If Nash wasn't making 9 million dollars + and Kobe didn't sign for 23.5 million next season it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I want the Lakers to rebuild and contend as fast as possible, preferably before Kobe retires. Nash is a HUGE hindrance to that if he doesn't take a medical retirement. I want to win, more than I care about Nash coming back and seeing him play.

Nash might be a consummate pro and all that, but he's not a Laker to me, he's been here for less than 2 years and has given us nothing but frustration. I can respect that he's working hard and wants to see his last days as a pro out and on the court, but when it comes to his contract roadblocking the team from being able to assemble a winner.....

It's time to go. If medical retirement is a way to get out of that, so be it. I want rings, not farewell tours for players that made a living killing the Lakers during their career and came here in their twilight years and are struggling to hang on at that expense of the Lakers moving forward and building a winner.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby trodgers on Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:12 am

It's not like Steve Nash is bed-ridden. He's making $9M to try to heal so he can play his 18th season as a professional athlete. He can still live a fantastically fulfilling life. I support him, and I'd like to see him come back healthy and play at a high level, but I think he will be unable to do so.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Azndude2190 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:25 am

He'll return in February, only to play 2 or 3 games at most, before his body breaks down again. After that, he's gonna retire.

Well at least that's my prediction.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:26 pm

Laker Nation ‏@LakerNation 1h
Steve Nash ran through some deliberate dribbling drills at Lakers shoot-around in Dallas. Aiming for early February return, via @bill_oram.
Expand Reply Retweet

He can dribble!!!!
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:07 pm

Awesome! Maybe he can sustain 10 minutes of dribbling now!
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Frank Dux on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:13 pm

ten bucks says he makes it to 10-11 games this season then gets injured again.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:18 pm

Responses here are hilarious...wow. All he is going to is come back long enough making himself ineligible for medical retirement. W
lukewaltonsdad

Postby Weezy on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:21 pm

I don't care how mean it sounds, I dread Nash updates, I don't want him to play another game as a Laker.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:54 pm

Vlade, Theo, Nash.....all old all a waste of money of a signing.
khmrP

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:57 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Laker Nation ‏@LakerNation 1h
Steve Nash ran through some deliberate dribbling drills at Lakers shoot-around in Dallas. Aiming for early February return, via @bill_oram.
Expand Reply Retweet

He can dribble!!!!

He can dribble...DELIBERATELY!!!
Savory Griddles

Postby LakerFan1980 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:06 pm

We'll the Lakers are looking to trade Nash to Toronto.

http://fansided.com/2013/11/04/nba-trad ... rm=content
WE PAY CASH FOR HOUSES
424-216-8525
LakerFan1980

Postby Frank Dux on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:10 pm

^That article is from November...

Masai is no dummy. He's not touching Nash.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:58 pm

Nash is a great player and in a limited player can still be effective. He just has to be healthy and I doubt he will be this year for more than a few games
Ariza3

Postby Azndude2190 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:15 pm

Ariza3 wrote:Nash is a great player and in a limited player can still be effective. He just has to be healthy and I doubt he will be this year for more than a few games

I doubt he can even play in limited minutes, plus any minutes given to him, is minutes taken away from Marshall.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:43 pm

Please retire.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby lotus on Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:08 pm

Please, please, please!!!
lotus

Postby SK8 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:05 pm

Nash hasn't been able to sprint/go full speed (back/nerve issues) but it's sure fun to watch him shoot.

https://vine.co/v/h3MqExnnIlm

kevinding
60 minutes ago
Been watching Steve Nash shoot threes, free throws and pull-up elbow jumpers for three minutes. He hasn't missed.

Off dribble, fading, pull-up...Nash never misses. Such a shame he hasn't been able to get healthy for game action.

https://vine.co/v/h3M53tZh50V
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion