Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby nthydro on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:19 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter

No breaking news here, but Nash hasn't missed a FT yet this week. Just dropped 25 straight to be the first off the court.

:man10: :man10: Game set match to this argument....perfect timing :bow:

Yeah cuz we all know making free throws in practice is the same as in a clutch situation :man3:
nthydro

Postby nthydro on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:21 pm

FREE THROWS?! We talkin about FREE THROWS?! :man10:

Man, I can't wait for the season to start. Maybe then we can argue bout something worthwhile.
nthydro

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:35 pm

kobe_mamba wrote:I know why Steve Nash is so good.....he's not human, he's i-robot....!? :man12:

:man10:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:23 pm

:man10:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby ladam24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:31 pm

:man10: :man10: :man10:
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:30 am

Mike Trudell of Lakers.com wrote:Repeated information from the same source can take its toll, be it from a coach, a parent, a teammate or a sibling.

"Get back on D!" and "Do your laundry!" on repeat can lose its luster. Some fresh perspective is uplifting in most life scenarios, as the Lakers are already finding in the presence of Steve Nash.

When L.A. beat Boston in the 2010 Finals, the team's core group of players had made three consecutive trips to the big stage, totaling 313 games (67 playoffs) played together. That's a lot bus rides, flights, practices, ice bags and showers for a bunch of alpha males.

It's now 2012, and while only three players remain from the 2010 roster — Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol and Metta World Peace — each is a critical part of the starting line up. Enter Dwight Howard and Steve Nash, boasting hungry new blood built through All-Star careers sans championships. Can that provide L.A. an inspiring new perspective?

"It can, absolutely," said Bryant. "We're all determined to get there, but sure, the hunger from Dwight and Steve can definitely help our energy."

The energy boost from Howard will be a tangible improvement from that of Andrew Bynum, who had an All-Star season but himself acknowledged that he doesn't yet have the consistent motor of the pivot who has been a staple of the All-NBA First Team since 2008.

Energy is one thing, but the type of leadership Nash is already bringing as a positive complement to Bryant's self-described bad cop routine may be the most important thing L.A. gained when the Canadian arrived in Los Angeles. From that perspective, there's nobody better in the NBA.

"He brings a lot of things into the table, (and) team building and team chemistry is definitely one of them," said Gasol. "He's a player that's extremely unselfish, to me the most unselfish player in the NBA, and I'm glad that he's with us. It's still hard to believe that he's our point guard, and I know we're all going to benefit from having him on board."

Nash provides a calming influence on a locker room, an assurance that he's going to take care of things once the game tips off. His vibe is positive, but controlled.

Head coach Mike Brown loves what he sees, if only three days into training camp.

He’s a natural leader," said Brown after Thursday's practice. "But he’s more of a quiet leader than loud and ra-ra type leader. You can tell everybody respects him and he definitely has a great feel of the game. He understands how much he needs to learn, too, or he knows how much he needs to listen just as much as he knows how to teach.”

The "everybody respects him" part of Brown's statement is critical, and can be pervasive in the locker room. So few NBA players can immediately come into a veteran team and command such attention, particularly in a place Bryant has reigned for so long.

"(Nash is) very observant, he watches what's going on out there during the course of the game and takes command of the offense and puts guys in position to be successful," said No. 24. "He’s obviously very patient and he works through things. Most of the time I don’t have to say anything. He’s already seeing what I’m seeing."

The latter part of that Kobe quote came after only one day of practice. If chemistry can be instantaneous, the two guys drafted only one spot apart from one another in 1996* seem to have it.
Kobe was taken at No. 13 and Nash No. 15.

Nash may already be in sync with Bryant, but Brown also noted his impact on the coaching staff.

“It helps tremendously," he explained. "You feel like there’s an extension of yourself out on the floor. You add him to the mix of Kobe, Dwight, Pau and Metta (World Peace), that’s a pretty high IQ group that knows how to play. So you’re excited about having him on the floor and being able to orchestrate what you have or what you have in the game plan for the group.”

As such, Nash's impact on a team is felt even without mention of some of his particular skills, from his mastery of the pick and roll to his unmatched shooting.

"He's a great shooter, with great balance all the time, great follow through," Bryant offered. "There aren't too many shooters that come along like that. He's one of the greatest shooters our game has ever seen. Nobody in the league has a shooter at that position like that."

That's all well and good for the Lakers, but before Nash ever takes a shot that counts for the Lakers, he'll have already made an impact on the locker room.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby kenzo on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:46 am

JSM wrote:
Mike Trudell of Lakers.com wrote:Repeated information from the same source can take its toll, be it from a coach, a parent, a teammate or a sibling.

"Get back on D!" and "Do your laundry!" on repeat can lose its luster. Some fresh perspective is uplifting in most life scenarios, as the Lakers are already finding in the presence of Steve Nash.

When L.A. beat Boston in the 2010 Finals, the team's core group of players had made three consecutive trips to the big stage, totaling 313 games (67 playoffs) played together. That's a lot bus rides, flights, practices, ice bags and showers for a bunch of alpha males.

It's now 2012, and while only three players remain from the 2010 roster — Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol and Metta World Peace — each is a critical part of the starting line up. Enter Dwight Howard and Steve Nash, boasting hungry new blood built through All-Star careers sans championships. Can that provide L.A. an inspiring new perspective?

"It can, absolutely," said Bryant. "We're all determined to get there, but sure, the hunger from Dwight and Steve can definitely help our energy."

The energy boost from Howard will be a tangible improvement from that of Andrew Bynum, who had an All-Star season but himself acknowledged that he doesn't yet have the consistent motor of the pivot who has been a staple of the All-NBA First Team since 2008.

Energy is one thing, but the type of leadership Nash is already bringing as a positive complement to Bryant's self-described bad cop routine may be the most important thing L.A. gained when the Canadian arrived in Los Angeles. From that perspective, there's nobody better in the NBA.

"He brings a lot of things into the table, (and) team building and team chemistry is definitely one of them," said Gasol. "He's a player that's extremely unselfish, to me the most unselfish player in the NBA, and I'm glad that he's with us. It's still hard to believe that he's our point guard, and I know we're all going to benefit from having him on board."

Nash provides a calming influence on a locker room, an assurance that he's going to take care of things once the game tips off. His vibe is positive, but controlled.

Head coach Mike Brown loves what he sees, if only three days into training camp.

He’s a natural leader," said Brown after Thursday's practice. "But he’s more of a quiet leader than loud and ra-ra type leader. You can tell everybody respects him and he definitely has a great feel of the game. He understands how much he needs to learn, too, or he knows how much he needs to listen just as much as he knows how to teach.”

The "everybody respects him" part of Brown's statement is critical, and can be pervasive in the locker room. So few NBA players can immediately come into a veteran team and command such attention, particularly in a place Bryant has reigned for so long.

"(Nash is) very observant, he watches what's going on out there during the course of the game and takes command of the offense and puts guys in position to be successful," said No. 24. "He’s obviously very patient and he works through things. Most of the time I don’t have to say anything. He’s already seeing what I’m seeing."

The latter part of that Kobe quote came after only one day of practice. If chemistry can be instantaneous, the two guys drafted only one spot apart from one another in 1996* seem to have it.
Kobe was taken at No. 13 and Nash No. 15.

Nash may already be in sync with Bryant, but Brown also noted his impact on the coaching staff.

“It helps tremendously," he explained. "You feel like there’s an extension of yourself out on the floor. You add him to the mix of Kobe, Dwight, Pau and Metta (World Peace), that’s a pretty high IQ group that knows how to play. So you’re excited about having him on the floor and being able to orchestrate what you have or what you have in the game plan for the group.”

As such, Nash's impact on a team is felt even without mention of some of his particular skills, from his mastery of the pick and roll to his unmatched shooting.

"He's a great shooter, with great balance all the time, great follow through," Bryant offered. "There aren't too many shooters that come along like that. He's one of the greatest shooters our game has ever seen. Nobody in the league has a shooter at that position like that."

That's all well and good for the Lakers, but before Nash ever takes a shot that counts for the Lakers, he'll have already made an impact on the locker room.

Stop laying Mike. We all know Steve>>>>>>>>>You :man9: I hope Steve plays the game his way, not Mike's :man12:
kenzo

Postby Finwë on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:55 pm

V1n5anity wrote:
nthydro wrote:Vinsanity,

Of course it's a debate. I wouldn't pose the question if it wasn't. But I'd still take Kobe because like I stated, I trust him more.

Trusting him more isn't really a valid argument. I even posted stats for you. It's really not that hard.

You're right I didn't watch Nash much since I don't have league pass. And that's why I've never SEEN him make clutch free throws.

That's why they have stats.

I'm not the type who goes by percentages or reputation when I analyze a player.

I'm not big on numbers either, but here they are applicable in the Nash vs. Kobe debate.

I'm not discounting percentages completely, but theres many other variables to consider.

All variables considered, Nash is the better option.

I have to see it to believe it.

The numbers don't lie.

Your argument was that if a player shoots a higher overall percentage then that automatically means he's a better clutch free throw shooter

I never said that. I asked why you would want a worse FT shooter (Kobe) shooting free throws over the better FT shooter (Nash)? And like I've said before, I'm not basing this just off stats. I've seen Steve in the clutch and he has ice in his veins.

I know that just because you have a higher FT percentage than Kobe, it doesn't automatically mean you are a better crunch time option. I wasn't arguing that. I am simply arguing why Nash is unquestionably the better free throw shooter in crunch time.

That's simply not true. If you were to show me their clutch free throw stats like you did then your argument would've been more convincing.

That's not my argument. I showed you the clutch stats for Nash. How are you still arguing? The numbers do not lie.

Theres no question in mind Nash is better free throw shooter in normal game situation.

He's a better FT shooter in ALL situations.

But the fact that I never seen him shoot clutch free throws, I'd rather take Kobe who I've witness with my own eyes. It's that simple.

I understand it's simple. It's just wrong. You are biased and the numbers clearly prove that. The last 4-5 seasons, Nash has shot significantly better on crunch time free throws compared to Kobe. And he shoots a fair amount of them. There's nothing to argue. Once again, this is not to say Kobe isn't a great FT shooter, but Nash is simply on another level. It's like Dirk. I'd want Dirk shooting FTs over Kobe anyday and everyday.

Okay using Steve Blake was too dramatic of an example. If you're down by 3, who would you rather have take the shot, Kobe or Nash (who obviously has the better %)?

The question you asked was who I'd want to take the OPEN 3 pointer. There's no question I'd want Nash shooting an open 3 over Kobe. There's absolutely nothing to argue there.

Now it be crazy for anyone to say that Kobe is a better overall 3 point shooter cause he's not.

Agree.

Nash has proven to be one of the greatest pure shooters in history.

And he's currently tied as the best free throw shooter of all time. Which is another reason this shouldn't even be a debate.

But I'd still take Kobe in that situation.

And this is you being biased again. Why on earth would you want Kobe shooting an OPEN 3 over one of the best shooters of all time? I'd want guys like Dirk/Nash taking open 3s in crunch time over Kobe anyday. Are you seriously kidding me here? Do you really think that this "clutch" thing makes Kobe unstoppable or something? Again, I'm not comparing anyone but Kobe and Nash (and I guess Dirk), but how on earth can you say Kobe > Nash at an OPEN potential game-winning three? Nash is clutch. He makes clutch 3s at a much more efficient rate than Kobe in crunch time. This is getting ridiculous.

And based on past surveys I'm sure many GMs would agree with me.

No. They wouldn't. If you asked which player you'd want shooting the OPEN potential game-winning 3, there's no doubt the unanimous pick would be Nash (in a Nash vs. Kobe debate).

GMs vote Kobe as the best last-shot player because he has the ability to get off any shot, from anywhere. He can have three guys on him but still get off a decent shot. That's why GMs pick him to take the last shot, not because he's the best open shooter in the NBA. If that were the question, Kobe wouldn't even be considered.

Settled:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter
Nash. With Kobe's backing. RT @crglizist: @LakersReporter Who shoots the technicals for the Lakers next year? #2ppgoffkobesaverage
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby JLaker17 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:03 pm

With all the Howard talk and such watching practice videos I almost forget about Nash until I see him kicking around the ball, then I realize how amazing it is to see Kobe/Nash/Howard/Gasol on the court at the same time. :man4:
JLaker17

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:41 pm

Steve Nash ‏@SteveNash

Fresno......what up doe?!

Great! Even Stevie is up to date with CL lingo. :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby silver0187 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:01 pm

what's doe?
silver0187

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:58 am

Go to the Chris Douglas Roberts thread... all will be explained........ or not :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:54 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
Steve Nash ‏@SteveNash

Fresno......what up doe?!

Great! Even Stevie is up to date with CL lingo. :man10:

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that too :man10:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby easyguy on Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:31 pm

I like Nash's new Hollywood hair style. :jam2:
easyguy

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:38 pm

this guys great

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:24 pm

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Finwë on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:25 pm

Always been among my favorite players to watch, seeing him running P&R weaing a Lakers' jersey is a dream come true. It continiously hits me, "WE have NASH". He's gonna do WONDERS for this team and it's players. Just seeing him now I think he'll make us a top 5 offense in the L.
Those plays were SICK
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby GoldenKnight on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:33 pm

This guy is amazing and we only saw 2 quarters if this in the 1st pre-season game without Dwight....

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby The Rock on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:57 pm

Kobe's gonna get wide open 3 point looks, Mamba better knock em down!

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:26 pm

This guy is so freakin good, he was running the show for a brand new team from the opening tip, he made Robert Sacre look like an NBA player. :man10: Some players are just special, they're born to play the game, and Nash is one.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:02 am

The Rock wrote:Kobe's gonna get wide open 3 point looks, Mamba better knock em down!

Or just take the open lane, forcing Dwight or Pau's mans to rotate...easy dunk.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Magic Skywalker on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:24 am

This guy is pretty good.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:39 am

Steve Nash is freaking awesome. Glad to have him. :jam2:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:07 am

I keep watching that Jarrett Jack little ankle breaker and thinking "how does a man his age do something like that to someone almost 10 years younger?"

I think a lot of it comes down to fear and expectations. Steve has built a career by just picking teams apart and making defenses run in circles. When a guy like Jack is defending him, he's going to remember all of those things he's done and he's going to be afraid. Then Steve just gets to do something simple like step back and Jack goes flying because he's expecting everything else.

That was a pretty play. And when he stepped into that 3 I knew it was going down.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:14 am

It was amazing how many WIDE open looks our starters got with Nash. How many times was Kobe, of all people, left wide open last night? Add in D12 and Nash could seriously get any person on the court an open shot.

He needs to be the only one who pounds the rock when he is on the court. Period.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion