Steve Nash Discussion: Retiring; Lakers Disabled Exception

Re: Steve Nash Discussion (Still in pain, but hopeful for Fri)

Postby kray28 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:45 pm

Triangle has won, and the Princeton is a similar philosophy...another "every player is the point guard" type offense.

Nevertheless, running the Princeton begs the question, "Why did you go out and get Nash if you were going to run an offense that didn't need a point guard?"

We could be running the Triangle and have the same problem.
kray28

Postby The Original 81 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:57 pm

kray28 wrote:Triangle has won, and the Princeton is a similar philosophy...another "every player is the point guard" type offense.

Nevertheless, running the Princeton begs the question, "Why did you go out and get Nash if you were going to run an offense that didn't need a point guard?"

I had the same thought as well. I guess they felt that Steve Nash's intelligence allows him to be effective in any system, and they are plan using his strengths within the Princeton.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:14 am

kray28 wrote:Triangle has won, and the Princeton is a similar philosophy...another "every player is the point guard" type offense.

agreed. if this is, by and large, the offense we can expect...there was absolutely no reason to bring a pg like nash on board. what a waste. i hope he gets loose before it's too late (attitudes soured, relationships degraded etc)
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby revgen on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:02 am

kray28 wrote:Nevertheless, running the Princeton begs the question, "Why did you go out and get Nash if you were going to run an offense that didn't need a point guard?"

1) Princeton and Triangle require high IQ players. Even moreso since we have to figure it out in 1 year. Nash qualifies.

2) We need players who can shoot the ball to provide the spacing that the Princeton requires. Nash qualifies.

3) We need players who can read the defense and make the proper pass. Nash qualifies.

4) We need players who have the ability to make a play for others or themselves on the fly in case the Princeton breaks down. Nash qualifies.

5) Nash at this point in his career wants to play off the ball more. Running P&R on every play is not what he wants to do anymore. We'll run P&R at times, but if we want him on the floor for 35 minutes a night, we can't have him doing everything like he was doing in Phoenix.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:08 am

^ That.

And while it's easy to say that the Princeton doesn't maximize Nash, what about Nash dominating the ball maximizes our other talents? If Nash dominates the ball, is that maximizing Kobe? Or Pau? Or Dwight?

Not at all. Just because they end up scoring on a Nash assist doesn't mean we're maximizing the team potential.

And we're not JUST running the Princeton. Nash is allowed to pick and roll whenever he feels it.

Last point, Nash is a safety valve. When all else fails, we have one of the league's greatest ever PGs to think on the fly and get something going offensively. He'll win us games later in the season when the Princeton breaks down and we need to go in another direction. But to keep him fresh and to keep everyone involved, we need a system that allows him to not tire himself out all game.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:05 am

revgen wrote:
kray28 wrote:Nevertheless, running the Princeton begs the question, "Why did you go out and get Nash if you were going to run an offense that didn't need a point guard?"

1) Princeton and Triangle require high IQ players. Even moreso since we have to figure it out in 1 year. Nash qualifies.

2) We need players who can shoot the ball to provide the spacing that the Princeton requires. Nash qualifies.

3) We need players who can read the defense and make the proper pass. Nash qualifies.

4) We need players who have the ability to make a play for others or themselves on the fly in case the Princeton breaks down. Nash qualifies.

5) Nash at this point in his career wants to play off the ball more. Running P&R on every play is not what he wants to do anymore. We'll run P&R at times, but if we want him on the floor for 35 minutes a night, we can't have him doing everything like he was doing in Phoenix.

Great post. However, even with Nash not doing all of those things, I still don't want him on the floor 35 minutes a game.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby GoldenKnight on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:00 pm

This offense is making Nash look old & washed up, which I know is not the case, but it sure looks exactly like it.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Tragic on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:53 pm

He's out tonight
Tragic

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:55 pm

Mike Trudell @LakersReporter
Just confirmed: @Steve Nash (lower left leg contusion) will not play tonight against the Clippers. This was to be expected.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Re: Steve Nash Discussion (Out for Clipper game)

Postby noobiew on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:23 pm

Steve Nash sitting and thinking in the sideline while watching the Lakers vs Clippers game : " Did I really and why am I signed with this team "
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Finwë on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:28 pm

Come back sunday please. I couldn't survive another minute of watching Morris play.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:39 am

Surprised it hasn't been posted yet

Mike Trudell@LakersReporter03 Nov

Steve Nash suffered a small non-displaced fracture in the head of his fibula (leg): on.nba.com/SEQP33 Out at least 1 week.

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/tag/los_an ... z2BGj7iyGP
wcsoldier81

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:43 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Surprised it hasn't been posted yet

Mike Trudell@LakersReporter03 Nov

Steve Nash suffered a small non-displaced fracture in the head of his fibula (leg): on.nba.com/SEQP33 Out at least 1 week.

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/tag/los_an ... z2BGj7iyGP

^^ Yep, saw it on LG while CL was down. Not sure if this is going to give Mike Brown more excuses or if this is a wake up call to the FO to get him out of here and also make a move for a backup PG.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:07 am

It's the non weight bearing bone, the fracture is small and the bone is still in anatomical position where the fracture is. He will be fine, but I do think he will be out longer than 1 week, maybe 2.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Re: Steve Nash Discussion (Out 1 maybe 2 weeks)

Postby Finwë on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan
Steve Nash could miss up to four weeks with the small fracture in his left leg, a Lakers source said. #BadLakerNews

Please don't be true
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:52 pm

ugh.......
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Re: Steve Nash Discussion (Could miss up to 4 weeks)

Postby borri on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:55 pm

So which means.....Morris getting 15 + mins a game. Nice.............. :man2:
borri

Postby karacha on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:55 pm

"Up to four weeks" really means four weeks. If we're lucky and there are no complications. It has always been true for this team.

Fortunately for us, this is already week 1.

That, and we have Morris.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:58 pm

Get Delonte West......no we have Morris nevermind. :bang:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Balance&Options24 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:01 pm

Yay a four week excuse for Mike Brown.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Wow. This could not be going worse. And Brown will have an excuse too.

West, Livingston and Flynn are available. All better than Morris and Duhon, and West better than Blake.

Waive Morris or DJO. That simple. They need help now. Esp with Kobe hurting. Sigh
tigerjeterkobe

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:12 pm

Will wait for another source ... this reporter isn't the most reliable AND is always negative in his tweets
wcsoldier81

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:17 pm

It will likely be 5 weeks if not 6. Our medical staff is garbage
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby noobiew on Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:17 pm

Finwë wrote:
Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan
Steve Nash could miss up to four weeks with the small fracture in his left leg, a Lakers source said. #BadLakerNews

Please don't be true

If this was true then things juts keep on getting worst for this team, we couldn't catch a break man, this sucks !
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby DarthRekal on Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:19 pm

whats up with all the LA teams having the worse luck..?? we musta sold our souls for the Kings :man5:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion