Steve Nash Discussion: Retiring; Lakers Disabled Exception

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:27 am

The only bad contracts the Raptors have are Landry Fields and Novak.

Fields at 6.5 million next year
Novak at 3.5 million for the next two - Or the same cost to stretch Nash's contract if we went that route

Otherwise if they want to give up Lowry, Gay, Derozan, Johnson , Ill take those guys in a heartbeat over Nash. We should send them Pau as well and try to get as much young talent from the Raps to be honest.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19446
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:01 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 2m
Steve Nash is another vet who may be traded this year. I've heard Toronto as a possible landing spot for Nash from multiple league sources.
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand


Please let this happen.

I'd only do it with Steve's blessing. If that's something he would be willing to do for us and for himself, then I'd do it.

Call me naive, but I've got a real sense of honor about these things. Steve came here for us so he could contribute to a championship team. He wanted to help us so badly. Things didn't work out that way, but I'd like to honor him the way he honored us by asking to come here.

That being said... it's not working out. I'd definitely ask him if he'd be willing or if that's something he wants to do. I know that he also wanted to play in Toronto for his country. We could make that happen and that could be his contribution here. We'd still appreciate his effort and heart here.

I wouldn't trade him though without his input.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby Weezy on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:07 am

I think Nash would be fine with ending his career in Canada. Neither team is winning a title, but they have players that could help us, and Nash would get to finish his career where fans would probably be happy just having him on the team even if he's not what he was. I do agree the Lakers would need to clear it with Nash first though, you gotta treat an all time great with class and respect or it's a really bad look.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50866
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:08 am

therealdeal wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 2m
Steve Nash is another vet who may be traded this year. I've heard Toronto as a possible landing spot for Nash from multiple league sources.
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand


Please let this happen.

I'd only do it with Steve's blessing. If that's something he would be willing to do for us and for himself, then I'd do it.

Call me naive, but I've got a real sense of honor about these things. Steve came here for us so he could contribute to a championship team. He wanted to help us so badly. Things didn't work out that way, but I'd like to honor him the way he honored us by asking to come here.

That being said... it's not working out. I'd definitely ask him if he'd be willing or if that's something he wants to do. I know that he also wanted to play in Toronto for his country. We could make that happen and that could be his contribution here. We'd still appreciate his effort and heart here.

I wouldn't trade him though without his input.


+1 on this. Lakers should be classy and of course check with him. But I'm also down for this move. Nash may be open to it because he had talked with Toronto before he signed with us. Of course now his family is in LA so it may be a no go.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15212
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:14 am

^ Precisely... It's the family issue. Half the reason he came here was for his kids and now we might be banishing him to Toronto? Seems harsh. That's why I'd ask for his thoughts first. It'd be for half a season basically and we'd hopefully get some young piece(s) back for him...

What would you guys say to a Derozan/Nash swap? I'm not super high on the kid and I know he's got a long contract now, but that's something I think they'd consider. He's a young guy with high upside who's kind of hit a lull but they can get out of that contract. We get a young guy with high upside...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:33 am

If we could get a 18-20 ppg young player making 9.5 million for Steve Nash who is retiring in the immediate future. You take it and you run.

We would be paying 13-15 million for a 24 year old that does what Demar does. It's a steal.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19446
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:35 am

Doc Brown wrote:If we could get a 18-20 ppg young player making 9.5 million for Steve Nash who is retiring in the immediate future. You take it and you run.

We would be paying 13-15 million for a 24 year old that does what Demar does. It's a steal.

Demar is not so dissimilar from Gay though. He does a lot on the court, but he's also pretty inefficient because they count on him to put up points...

He's a younger, slightly smaller version of Gay.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:38 am

Where else do we upgrade then? FA is banking on pipe dreams to come true and even then we are going to be paying premium for those players.

If you can get a player like that for Nash, you have to do it.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19446
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:42 am

True. I'm not arguing against it at all, just playing devil's advocate. I don't want Gay anymore so getting a player so similar to him would be strange, but he's also much cheaper and younger to boot.

I'd make that move.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:36 pm

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Steve Nash is still dealing with nerve damage stemming from the fractured left leg that sabotaged his first season with the Los Angeles Lakers, the 39-year-old point guard told reporters Monday.

"I'm still extremely optimistic," Nash said, coming off a win against the Atlanta Hawks in which he contributed 13 points, 6 assists and 0 turnovers in 29 minutes. "I just think maybe the level of health is different. It is going to be a day to day struggle for me and that's something I'm up for though, and I'm optimistic that if I don't have any freak situations again I can try to get on top on all of these things.

"Really, I'm still fighting things that happened because of the broken leg, with all of the nerve issues. So, it is what it is. I'm optimistic still that I can get to the highest level I can get at this stage. I think if [Sunday] night is an indication if I can get up another level or two, I'm going to be pretty effective."

When asked if the nerves cause him to feel "tingling" or "hurt," Nash said "both, in different scenarios."

Nash missed 32 games during the regular season last year and had to sit out the final two games of the Lakers' first-round sweep against the San Antonio Spurs after receiving several epidurals as a last-ditch effort to try to alleviate some of the pain in his hip and groin, stemming from the leg injury, that prevented him to even be able to sprint last spring.

"I still feel that almost every day all over," Nash said of the nerve discomfort. "It's not just in that spot [in his left leg]. It's like the nerve system and nerve roots are on guard. So the whole system in a way is different now. It's just a little more sensitive and you face different things because of it. So, freaky, freaky thing, but I can't complain. I'm still playing basketball and I'm still effective and I can get better physically and my game will come around the more I play."

Nash was limited by a sore left ankle and stiff neck during the preseason, averaging 4.0 points and 3.6 assists against 1.7 turnovers in 18.4 minutes per game while shooting 42.3 percent from the field.

He has improved slightly in the regular season, averaging 7.0 points and 5.3 assists against 1.7 turnovers in 24.3 minutes per game, but he is shooting just 29.2 percent overall. He also only played in three of the Lakers' four games so far, with coach Mike D'Antoni choosing to sit him out when the team played the second night of a back-to-back against the Golden State Warriors.

The 18-year veteran said he is working daily with Judy Seto, the Lakers' head physical therapist, in order to try to get his body right for the long haul.

"She's tremendous," Nash said. "She relieves as much of the issues I'm facing as [she] can and the rest is just recovery time and doing everything I can to prepare to do the best I can."


http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... rve-damage
dwighthowardsdad

 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:31 am

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby Sirron on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:42 pm

white guys and their excessive whining

don't ever hear Kobe whine

suck it up
User avatar
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld
 
Posts: 17974
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:32 pm

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:36 pm

Doc Brown wrote:The only bad contracts the Raptors have are Landry Fields and Novak.

Fields at 6.5 million next year
Novak at 3.5 million for the next two - Or the same cost to stretch Nash's contract if we went that route

Otherwise if they want to give up Lowry, Gay, Derozan, Johnson , Ill take those guys in a heartbeat over Nash. We should send them Pau as well and try to get as much young talent from the Raps to be honest.

Agreed completely.. I just don't see why they'd trade for Nash without value added to him. I don't think they're taking on Nash unless they can unload Gay.. & if they get rid of Gay I would assume they'll hold onto Derozan & Ross.. Leaves us with Lowry & Amir as attractive pieces to get thrown in with Rudy.. I think I'd have to give up Pau & Nash for Rudy/Lowry/Amir. We become better on both sides of the ball. Love to see Denver get involved.. They have a bunch of good players but need a 1A or B to go with Lawson.. Get them to take on Rudy & send Gallo or Chandler to Toronto to get us Derozan & Faried. Lowry/DeRozan/24/Faried/Kaveman with Young/X/Farmar/Hill/Williams off the bench.. Right back in the hunt.
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby Barnstable on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 2m
Steve Nash is another vet who may be traded this year. I've heard Toronto as a possible landing spot for Nash from multiple league sources.
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand


Please let this happen.

I'd only do it with Steve's blessing. If that's something he would be willing to do for us and for himself, then I'd do it.

Call me naive, but I've got a real sense of honor about these things. Steve came here for us so he could contribute to a championship team. He wanted to help us so badly. Things didn't work out that way, but I'd like to honor him the way he honored us by asking to come here.

That being said... it's not working out. I'd definitely ask him if he'd be willing or if that's something he wants to do. I know that he also wanted to play in Toronto for his country. We could make that happen and that could be his contribution here. We'd still appreciate his effort and heart here.

I wouldn't trade him though without his input.


+1 on this. Lakers should be classy and of course check with him. But I'm also down for this move. Nash may be open to it because he had talked with Toronto before he signed with us. Of course now his family is in LA so it may be a no go.


You're remembering that glorious time. The pre-Jimmy years of legend, where we had a man at the helm that respected the game and made solid decisions.

Nowadays, I would be surprised... but not too surprised... if Nash got done like Caron Butler and he hears he got traded through Sports Center.

But +2 for doing the right thing by Nash, and respecting the wishes of an all time great.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
User avatar
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 14305
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:01 pm
Location: Queens NY

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby jlkr on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:19 pm

Really think it's pipe to trade two old farts for a bunch of young guns, even they are flawed in their own way. What the heck would Leiweke be thinking of Ujiri if Ujiri took that trade? Remember Leiweke's been around the Lakers and Mitch...
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
User avatar
jlkr

 
Posts: 4197
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: your friendly neighborhood bar

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby Juronimo on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:05 pm

Sirron wrote:white guys and their excessive whining

don't ever hear Kobe whine

suck it up


dude really? :man3:
not funny.
Image

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
User avatar
Juronimo

 
Posts: 6598
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:20 pm
Location: Fist in the air on a quest for justice

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby NewDynasty on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:50 am

Sirron wrote:white guys and their excessive whining

don't ever hear Kobe whine

suck it up

Derrick rose and wade are early white. Good point!

To compare anyone to Kobe in current NBA regarding playing through injures is a travesty
NewDynasty

 
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:41 am

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby DuddlyDoRight on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:23 am

Juronimo wrote:
Sirron wrote:white guys and their excessive whining

don't ever hear Kobe whine

suck it up


dude really? :man3:
not funny.


Lighten up,

besides, at the rec, the black guys are the ones who always cry foul when they are losing :)
NO EXCUSES FOR DWIGHT "I WHINE AND MOAN ALL THE TIME" HOWARD
User avatar
DuddlyDoRight

 
Posts: 671
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:23 pm

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby Magic Skywalker on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:29 am

This thread is racist!
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
User avatar
Magic Skywalker

 
Posts: 1227
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby therealdeal on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:45 am

Yeah... let's cool it with that guys.

Thanks.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby XXIV on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:48 pm

Magic Skywalker wrote:This thread is racist!


Image

Sorry real, just had to throw this in here.
XXIV

 
Posts: 6386
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:13 am

0-15 from mid-range ... TERRIBLE whether the floor is white or black
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6420
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby hollywood swinger on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:03 am

Image
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
User avatar
hollywood swinger

 
Posts: 3149
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:43 pm

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby raviator on Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:57 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:0-15 from mid-range


I think it's time for him to either sit for a spell or just come off the bench in favor of younger more energetic legs. I was hoping a summer of rest would work. I'm no doctor but if he's still suffering from nerve damage, then that sounds like something that's not going to go away anytime soon. I respect Nash, always have always will, but it's been stated again and again, father time is undefeated and Nash is loosing this battle badly.
User avatar
raviator

 
Posts: 514
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:00 am
Location: East Coast

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby therealdeal on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:12 am

Free up Jordan Farmar for time and development.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Nash Discussion: Is he forked? (167)

Postby Juronimo on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:23 am

Free up Jordan Farmar for time and development.


I agree with therealdeal.

It might be time to sit him down for a while. We're not going anywhere anyway and it's painfully obvious he can't even come close to doing what he was able to do in the past. Start Jordan and make Blake the backup 2.
Image

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
User avatar
Juronimo

 
Posts: 6598
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:20 pm
Location: Fist in the air on a quest for justice

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.