Steve Nash Discussion: Retiring; Lakers Disabled Exception

Re: Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. sigh (194)

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:47 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:What's the over/under in how many games it will take him to be hurt again?

2nd quarter on tuesday

lol looks like i was right

Mike Trudell wrote:Steve Nash is out for the second half with nerve root irritation, the same issue that's plagued him all season.

https://twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/433460100007600130
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby karacha on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Guess what happened today?

Nerve root irritation.

"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 pm

the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby karacha on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:50 pm

You think he'll get the message?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:00 pm

karacha wrote:You think he'll get the message?

I hope so, because all he is doing is taking minutes away from Marshall and his development. Nash goes out, Marshall starts the 2nd half and immediately starts rolling.

Time to go Nash. He gave it a go, it's not working,
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:00 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:
CaCHooKa Man wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:What's the over/under in how many games it will take him to be hurt again?

2nd quarter on tuesday

lol looks like i was right

Mike Trudell wrote:Steve Nash is out for the second half with nerve root irritation, the same issue that's plagued him all season.

https://twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/433460100007600130

I actually thought of your response as soon as he was hurt...you called it.
lukewaltonsdad

Re: Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:25 pm

LISTEN to your freakin body Nash. This nerve root irritation isn't going to get better with time, he took MONTHS off, just call it a career man, he tried, it didn't work.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:12 pm

Helljumper wrote:I'm gonna give Nash the benefit of the doubt. Everyone thought he was stupid for coming back at all, but he proved everyone wrong and has looked good in the games he's played so far. (Not good as in he's an elite player or anything, but he's at least competent, and to me that's a good enough reason for him to continue playing since it's clear he loves the game so much). Until I see otherwise, I'm going to assume that what happened in the last game was minor and he left the game for precautionary reasons. If he comes back and is significantly hampered in the next game or shows that he can't sustain playing in NBA games for much longer then I'll change my tune, but as of now, that's not the case. I get the frustration with the whole 10 game medical retirement rule, but the Nash hate on here is really unfair.

All right dude, just retire ...
Helljumper

Postby khmrP on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:19 pm

we should do him a solid and trade him back to Pho for the TPE again, no asset needed from Pho :man10: ...trade would be based on fact that Nash promise to retire as a Sun, sorta how we did to Fox when we traded him to Bos
khmrP

Postby earvinfr on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:36 pm

khmrP wrote:we should do him a solid and trade him back to Pho for the TPE again, no asset needed from Pho :man10: ...trade would be based on fact that Nash promise to retire as a Sun, sorta how we did to Fox when we traded him to Bos

Going back to Pheonix will allow him to play 5 more years and re-sign with the Lakers to end his career !
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:38 pm

So with Nash playing his 10th game, even if he qualifies for medical retirement from this point on & never plays again, his salary doesn't stop counting against the cap until 1 year from today, correct?
LakersN4

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:30 am

He played pretty good for all of what, five minutes tonight? Then he was just done. Please call it a career Nashy. It's ovah.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby NewDynasty on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:36 am

I really hate this guy at this point. Just take your money and retire :bang:
NewDynasty

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:51 am

LakersN4 wrote:So with Nash playing his 10th game, even if he qualifies for medical retirement from this point on & never plays again, his salary doesn't stop counting against the cap until 1 year from today, correct?

yeah robbery at its finest .... paying the tax and not delaying the repeater rate for this joke of a team and crappy Nash ... Lakers FO lacks vision to say the least
wcsoldier81

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:28 am

Giving a 3 year, 28 million dollar contract to this guy was so stupid. So stupid. :bang:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:04 am

Nash: "Well, I think exactly 10 games was enough to tell me that my body is done. I'll accept that medical retirement thingy.
Mitch: "Ya think......."
Nash: "Yup. BTW, how many games was it that allowed you guys to take my salary off the cap next year if I take the medical retirement....11, 12 games right?"
Mitch: "Nope......it was 10 games, Steve....10.
Nash: "Oh, my bad, lol."

fffffrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.........
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:28 am

At what point is this delusion?

I know there was a sentiment recently that we all felt bad for him. He's a good guy who has done this his whole life. He doesn't know what life is like without playing basketball at the highest level and he doesn't want it to end on a sour note. He wants to make Laker fans proud and he wants to earn the paycheck we gave him.

But when does all that stop being enough? When can we boo this guy for NOT being a team player? Isn't it time now for him to sit down and let the younger guys get some time? You know, the younger guys like... Steve Blake. Steve Blake who at nearly 7 years younger than Nash is ALSO falling apart physically? When does Nash see the light and realize that he's not just hurting our production on the court, he's hurting the development of Kendall Marshall, and now he's hurt the organization's bottom line?

Are you kidding me? How many times do you have to irritate your nerve damaged leg before you f***ing get it through your damn skull old man? It's over. You're done. And now you screwed the franchise out of 3 million dollars in space we could have used to sign someone who can actually help us. If he retires he still gets his money, so it's not about that. It's about his own damn ego.

Get out Nash. It's over.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:35 am

therealdeal wrote:At what point is this delusion?

I know there was a sentiment recently that we all felt bad for him. He's a good guy who has done this his whole life. He doesn't know what life is like without playing basketball at the highest level and he doesn't want it to end on a sour note. He wants to make Laker fans proud and he wants to earn the paycheck we gave him.

But when does all that stop being enough? When can we boo this guy for NOT being a team player? Isn't it time now for him to sit down and let the younger guys get some time? You know, the younger guys like... Steve Blake. Steve Blake who at nearly 7 years younger than Nash is ALSO falling apart physically? When does Nash see the light and realize that he's not just hurting our production on the court, he's hurting the development of Kendall Marshall, and now he's hurt the organization's bottom line?

Are you kidding me? How many times do you have to irritate your nerve damaged leg before you f***ing get it through your damn skull old man? It's over. You're done. And now you screwed the franchise out of 3 million dollars in space we could have used to sign someone who can actually help us. If he retires he still gets his money, so it's not about that. It's about his own damn ego.

Get out Nash. It's over.

:man10: The bolded had me laugh my head off...so true. Agreed entirely
lukewaltonsdad

Postby khmrP on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:36 am

dam so even medical retirement doesn't help us any? Man, just stretch provision his arse then or hope he does us a solid and goes the regular retirement route, but doubt it why give up $9mill when you dont have too :man6:
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:32 am

Laker Nation ‏@LakerNation 22m
According to @basketballtalk, Steve Nash (leg) is likely out until after the All-Star break.
Expand

Maybe if he starts rehab now, he can practice for 10 minutes to start training camp next year. :freak2:
Doc Brown

Postby Barnstable on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:37 am

Its sad that I'm glad he's out.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby West's Formula 44 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:43 am

Doesn't he have to prove to the insurance company he can't play in order to get paid? Or the team paid? I remember the Dodgers having a similar experience with Jason Schmidt.
Last edited by West's Formula 44 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Vince Lombardi
West's Formula 44

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:44 am

the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Weezy on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:47 am

I felt good for Nash for one game, on his birthday. Now I'm at the point where it's like really man, come on. I'm annoyed at him, I'm becoming less of a fan, and I'm losing respect for the guy. Is that a bit much, sure, but he's delusional right now if he thinks he can still play in the NBA, his body is not complying.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:50 am

Well, he is now over the 10 game-mark so cap-relief this offseason is out of the question. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him medically retire after this season is done. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the Lakers DO NOT stretch provision him. Unless LBJ is coming to town, it is actually better NOT to stretch him. Having Nash on the books for 9 million next year is better than sacrificing that 3 million in space for the next three seasons. Say we go after Stephenson for 11 million.

Kobe – 24
Stephenson – 11
Nash – 9
Rookie – 5

That’s 49 million. We get our mid-tier FA and our (hopefully) rookie stud and we toil in the 7-10 range for a season. Then in 2015 we have:

Kobe – 24
Stephenson – 12.5
Rookie – 5
Love – 17

That’s 59 million. If we stretch provision Nash, we’d be at 62 and dangerously close to the cap.
Savory Griddles

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion