Steve Nash Discussion: Retiring; Lakers Disabled Exception

Re: Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:28 am

At what point is this delusion?

I know there was a sentiment recently that we all felt bad for him. He's a good guy who has done this his whole life. He doesn't know what life is like without playing basketball at the highest level and he doesn't want it to end on a sour note. He wants to make Laker fans proud and he wants to earn the paycheck we gave him.

But when does all that stop being enough? When can we boo this guy for NOT being a team player? Isn't it time now for him to sit down and let the younger guys get some time? You know, the younger guys like... Steve Blake. Steve Blake who at nearly 7 years younger than Nash is ALSO falling apart physically? When does Nash see the light and realize that he's not just hurting our production on the court, he's hurting the development of Kendall Marshall, and now he's hurt the organization's bottom line?

Are you kidding me? How many times do you have to irritate your nerve damaged leg before you f***ing get it through your damn skull old man? It's over. You're done. And now you screwed the franchise out of 3 million dollars in space we could have used to sign someone who can actually help us. If he retires he still gets his money, so it's not about that. It's about his own damn ego.

Get out Nash. It's over.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:35 am

therealdeal wrote:At what point is this delusion?

I know there was a sentiment recently that we all felt bad for him. He's a good guy who has done this his whole life. He doesn't know what life is like without playing basketball at the highest level and he doesn't want it to end on a sour note. He wants to make Laker fans proud and he wants to earn the paycheck we gave him.

But when does all that stop being enough? When can we boo this guy for NOT being a team player? Isn't it time now for him to sit down and let the younger guys get some time? You know, the younger guys like... Steve Blake. Steve Blake who at nearly 7 years younger than Nash is ALSO falling apart physically? When does Nash see the light and realize that he's not just hurting our production on the court, he's hurting the development of Kendall Marshall, and now he's hurt the organization's bottom line?

Are you kidding me? How many times do you have to irritate your nerve damaged leg before you f***ing get it through your damn skull old man? It's over. You're done. And now you screwed the franchise out of 3 million dollars in space we could have used to sign someone who can actually help us. If he retires he still gets his money, so it's not about that. It's about his own damn ego.

Get out Nash. It's over.

:man10: The bolded had me laugh my head off...so true. Agreed entirely
lukewaltonsdad

Postby khmrP on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:36 am

dam so even medical retirement doesn't help us any? Man, just stretch provision his arse then or hope he does us a solid and goes the regular retirement route, but doubt it why give up $9mill when you dont have too :man6:
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:32 am

Laker Nation ‏@LakerNation 22m
According to @basketballtalk, Steve Nash (leg) is likely out until after the All-Star break.
Expand

Maybe if he starts rehab now, he can practice for 10 minutes to start training camp next year. :freak2:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Barnstable on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:37 am

Its sad that I'm glad he's out.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby West's Formula 44 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:43 am

Doesn't he have to prove to the insurance company he can't play in order to get paid? Or the team paid? I remember the Dodgers having a similar experience with Jason Schmidt.
Last edited by West's Formula 44 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Vince Lombardi
West's Formula 44

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:44 am

the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Weezy on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:47 am

I felt good for Nash for one game, on his birthday. Now I'm at the point where it's like really man, come on. I'm annoyed at him, I'm becoming less of a fan, and I'm losing respect for the guy. Is that a bit much, sure, but he's delusional right now if he thinks he can still play in the NBA, his body is not complying.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:50 am

Well, he is now over the 10 game-mark so cap-relief this offseason is out of the question. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him medically retire after this season is done. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the Lakers DO NOT stretch provision him. Unless LBJ is coming to town, it is actually better NOT to stretch him. Having Nash on the books for 9 million next year is better than sacrificing that 3 million in space for the next three seasons. Say we go after Stephenson for 11 million.

Kobe – 24
Stephenson – 11
Nash – 9
Rookie – 5

That’s 49 million. We get our mid-tier FA and our (hopefully) rookie stud and we toil in the 7-10 range for a season. Then in 2015 we have:

Kobe – 24
Stephenson – 12.5
Rookie – 5
Love – 17

That’s 59 million. If we stretch provision Nash, we’d be at 62 and dangerously close to the cap.
Savory Griddles

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:51 am

Weezy wrote:I felt good for Nash for one game, on his birthday. Now I'm at the point where it's like really man, come on. I'm annoyed at him, I'm becoming less of a fan, and I'm losing respect for the guy. Is that a bit much, sure, but he's delusional right now if he thinks he can still play in the NBA, his body is not complying.

me too man..this is beyond stubborn...he needs to let it go
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:11 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:Well, he is now over the 10 game-mark so cap-relief this offseason is out of the question. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him medically retire after this season is done. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the Lakers DO NOT stretch provision him. Unless LBJ is coming to town, it is actually better NOT to stretch him. Having Nash on the books for 9 million next year is better than sacrificing that 3 million in space for the next three seasons. Say we go after Stephenson for 11 million.

Kobe – 24
Stephenson – 11
Nash – 9
Rookie – 5

That’s 49 million. We get our mid-tier FA and our (hopefully) rookie stud and we toil in the 7-10 range for a season. Then in 2015 we have:

Kobe – 24
Stephenson – 12.5
Rookie – 5
Love – 17

That’s 59 million. If we stretch provision Nash, we’d be at 62 and dangerously close to the cap.

Well said.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:34 pm

IMO if Nash can let it be known pre-trade he'll retire after the season is over a team would be willing to give up some assets like picks to dump a half decent player on a bad contract, maybe a year or two remaining. Maybe say Boozer/Cha pick for Nash or something. Just wishful thinking but thats something that would benefit both team.
khmrP

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:39 pm

khmrP wrote:IMO if Nash can let it be known pre-trade he'll retire after the season is over a team would be willing to give up some assets like picks to dump a half decent player on a bad contract, maybe a year or two remaining. Maybe say Boozer/Cha pick for Nash or something. Just wishful thinking but thats something that would benefit both team.

Nash won't retire outright and forgo his salary. Would you? He has played over 10 games so the medical retirement situation and cap relief THIS offseason is off the table for us or anyone who trades for him. So essentially someone would be getting a 9 million dollar cap number for next season. No team wants that, and we certainly aren't going to take on a long term deal to get rid of him. Nash is stuck in LA for the remainder of his career, however long that may be.
Savory Griddles

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:19 pm

I think he retires after the season. 30 games left, we're not going anywhere, he'll stick it out for essentially 2 more month then decide to retire, IMO.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby TSpence26 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:31 pm

IF he decides to retire, do we still owe him his 9 million next year even though he is retired?
TSpence26

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:35 pm

If he retires voluntarily I believe the cash is gone completely. Not just from our pay roll, but he doesn't get any of it either.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:18 pm

TSpence26 wrote:IF he decides to retire, do we still owe him his 9 million next year even though he is retired?

If it's a medical retirement, yes. If not, then no. That's why there's a chance we watch Nash try to do this same thing next year.
Savory Griddles

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:22 pm

The ultimate thing for Nash to do would be to give the Lakers FO and team he's traded to a wink/nod that he'll convince doctors to approve medical retirement at the end of the year, so he'll be a 9 mil expiring trade piece as khmrP alluded.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:48 pm

Punk-101 wrote:The ultimate thing for Nash to do would be to give the Lakers FO and team he's traded to a wink/nod that he'll convince doctors to approve medical retirement at the end of the year, so he'll be a 9 mil expiring trade piece as khmrP alluded.

The number will still count against their cap next year. That's why it was such a big deal when he played in his 10th game because it eliminated the chance that we could get cap relief THIS summer with a medical retirement. He will still be an expiring contract next season for whoever we traded him to, but I'm not sure how much value those have. It would probably require Nash and whoever we pick in the draft to get an impact player.
Savory Griddles

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:02 pm

I can't post links on this phone, but Nash has an interview with CBS 2 tonight and says he plans on continuning to play next year. If anyone could post it, please do.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby karacha on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:59 pm

Of course he does.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:14 pm

If Nash doesn't retire, plays next year, 'Antoni is still our coach, and we don't make some major strides this offseason, I'm not sure I have the stomach to watch next season. I mean get freaking real, Nash has played in parts of all of 10 games this season, is currently hurt again, but plans to play next season? F*** that, I'm starting to reach the levels of dislike I had back when he beat us as a Sun in the playoffs and stole an MVP award from Kobe.

Also, this quote Nash gave back during 2012 free agency is proving true

Nash also said, "For me, it would be hard to put on a Lakers jersey.

It is hard for him to put on a Lakers jersey when he's in a suit most of the time.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:26 pm

Weezy wrote:If Nash doesn't retire, plays next year, 'Antoni is still our coach, and we don't make some major strides this offseason, I'm not sure I have the stomach to watch next season.

Somehow I feel like this is gonna happen. Oh well, you could always wander over to Chavez Ravine. :jam2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby revgen on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:41 pm

Steve Nash finally made it back to the Lakers and has told a few friends this is going to be it, even though he has one season to go on his contract, at $9.7 million. Nash, who turned 40 Friday, doesn’t expect to help much, but that’s been the story of his injury-plagued Laker career. He really missed the camaraderie with his teammates when he was out for three months with a nerve injury in his back, and says he wants to experience that for at least the last part of this season before he calls it a career.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/lawrence-all-star-weekend-players-fight-tennessee-tax-article-1.1607126

If true, then not acquiring the Medical Retirement doesn't bother me too much.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:47 pm

revgen wrote:
Steve Nash finally made it back to the Lakers and has told a few friends this is going to be it, even though he has one season to go on his contract, at $9.7 million. Nash, who turned 40 Friday, doesn’t expect to help much, but that’s been the story of his injury-plagued Laker career. He really missed the camaraderie with his teammates when he was out for three months with a nerve injury in his back, and says he wants to experience that for at least the last part of this season before he calls it a career.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/lawrence-all-star-weekend-players-fight-tennessee-tax-article-1.1607126

If true, then not acquiring the Medical Retirement doesn't bother me too much.

This is sort of old news, Nash and his representatives have already shot down this report and said it isn't true.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion