Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Re: Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Postby Weezy on Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:23 am

I don't like that example either. Yeah it's the FO's fault for giving him the contract and wanting to get out of it, but Nash is no better than they are. He played his 10 games this season so he couldn't be forced to medically retire. He's talked about in these Grantland videos the doubt he has if he can still compete in the NBA. He knows damn well after killing himself to make it though 10 games this season that next season won't be any better and he won't offer any real on court contributions. He's hanging on to get paid and screwing us in the process. It's not about the team, it's not about his teammates who are out there playing hard on the court, it's not about this franchise or love of the game, it's about the money, he said it himself.

Would everyone do the same thing in his shoes like he says, I don't know, it's possible. Unless I'm mistaken though, medical retirement still would have gotten him his money without screwing us, so I'm not sure most people wouldn't have done that. He's getting paid $9 mil to most likely not play next season, he's taking up a roster spot from someone who could actually deserve it, the whole thing is incredibly selfish to me, no matter how honest he was. And I disagree, Nash isn't injured, he's ancient, and he's done, his body can't do it anymore.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Magic Skywalker on Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:56 am

The part that really bothers me it's what's on the second paragraph Weezy wrote. As a guy who's actually pretty much studied the CBA, I can assure you that he would still get his money if the Lakers had applied for a medical retirement for 10 or fewer games. So no, you're most definitely not mistaken.

Nash is just being stubborn as hell, trying to extend his career when it's definitely over (and he pretty much knows this). Of course, in his impossible task he's completely screwing the Lakers, and honestly, he's probably screwing himself also.

I know I would certainy want those $9.7M. We made a mistake there, but he has a right to that money, and I can't blame him for wanting it. I won't be the false guy who says "I shouldn't take it because he's earned a lot of money and he doesn't deserve those $10M". I'm sorry but no. That's a lot of money of anyone.

But trying to deny the fact that he just can't compete on NBA level anymore, and stepping on a whole team (and a VERY large fanbase) that's another story. That's what makes me angry about this guy. And it's a shame, cause I did respect him. Now I really regret to have bought a Nash jersey... that's really sad I think.

I was never a complete Nash fan in terms of game. I always thought he was kinda overrated as a point guard. I always rather had Billups, Kidd or even Marbury, back in the day. Of course, I didn't like that his Suns eliminated us two years, but this went from way back. Even before he won his MVPs. I do think he's one of the best passers this league has ever seen... just not that great of a point guard (its totally different being a great passer from being a great point guard. A great example of excellent passer and not-so-good point guard would be Jason Williams). But that said, I did respect the guy and I did have fun watching him play. So for me, his career couldn't end on a worse note.

Right now, while I think it's probably not the best choice, I almost want the team to stretch him, just because that implies waiving him and getting him out of the Lakers.

In his 10th game, it was ridiculous, it was clear the guy was in no condition to play. It was plain obvious. I hate that.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby Helljumper on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:17 am

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is excluded from team salary. This is when a player suffers a career-ending injury or illness. The team must waive the player, and can apply for this salary exclusion following a waiting period. Only the player's team at the time the injury or illness was discovered (or reasonably should have been discovered) can apply for this salary exclusion.

The waiting period depends on the number games in which the player played in the season:

If the player played 10 or more games in a season, the team can apply on the one-year anniversary of the player's last game.
If the player played fewer than 10 in a season, the team can apply 60 days after his last game, or the one-year anniversary of his last game in the previous season, whichever is later.

The determination as to whether an injury or illness is career ending is made by a physician jointly selected by the league and players association. The determination is based on whether the injury or illness will prevent the player from playing for the remainder of his career, or if it is severe enough that continuing to play constitutes a medically unacceptable risk.

This is arguable. It's not clear that Nash would have been eligible for medical retirement.
Helljumper

Postby Magic Skywalker on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:34 am

No, it's certainly not. But I'd rather have him take those exams. I don't think he's in any condition to play at a professional level anymore. He had a hard time surviving through 10 games, and I believe he injured himself in at least half of those ten games.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby Savory Griddles on Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:22 pm

Amazing. Thanks D'Antoni for making this possible. He probably knows he's going to be fired so he told Nash to play just 5 minutes in one more game to f over the Lakers.
Savory Griddles

Postby John3:16 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:01 pm

As a fan, I'm highly disappointed, but can any of us say we wouldn't do the same thing?
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:09 pm

John3:16 wrote:As a fan, I'm highly disappointed, but can any of us say we wouldn't do the same thing?

No. I'd take the medical retirement. I'd still get paid.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby charvin on Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:08 pm

revgen wrote:
John3:16 wrote:As a fan, I'm highly disappointed, but can any of us say we wouldn't do the same thing?

No. I'd take the medical retirement. I'd still get paid.

Exactly. Why is it such a hard concept to grasp that, if cleared for medical retirement by the league, you get paid as well for retiring? You get your money if you retire, not sure if Nash knows that though.
charvin

Postby John3:16 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:22 pm

Nash might wanna continue playing. He might believe he can get healthy and contribute.
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:28 pm

If he does he's delusional. He did everything possible this past offseason, everything possible during the season, and he played 10 games, and not even 10 full games. The back issues he's had and the nerve root thing now, are not going to get better with time and with age, he is DONE. He might play 4 games here, 2 games there, but that's it. We don't need that because he still is delusional that he can play, we need players that actually CAN be on the court. That's the selfish part to me, even if I'm wrong, this is all about him and what he wants, the money, playing a game here and there, to still be known as an NBA player. Not what's good for the team, good for how teammates, only him.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:46 pm

Weezy wrote:This is all about him and what he wants, the money, playing a game here and there, to still be known as an NBA player. Not what's good for the team, good for how teammates, only him.

I agree. I'm upset he didn't retire and I don't like his comment. But, trying to look at it from his perspective -- 2 time MVP, multiple ASG, future HoF... I'm sure he thinks he feels entitled to do as he pleases, based on the body of his career. I don't agree with him, but I also blame Laker brass. Shoulda sat him down.
CL Global Moderator

Postby WilliamHaven on Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:49 am

This may have been brought up, but in the interview with Simmons he says there are a bunch of tests to qualify for medical retirement, and he wouldn't have qualified, etc. etc. Who knows if that's accurate.

That being said, what I don't like is him taking this opportunity to fine tune his future film making endeavors by essentially making a documentary about never playing again (but trying so hard to!!). So we have to be constantly reminded of him as each episode comes out.
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 am

Maybe by some strange twist we can get immediate help (from the draft, you never know) and contend. Maybe Nash can be healthy all season long. Stranger things have happened.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:51 am

John3:16 wrote:Nash might wanna continue playing. He might believe he can get healthy and contribute.

He might, but that's delusional. I can't believe he has no one in his life right now telling him that it'd be better for him to retire. Yes it sucks that this is the way your career ends, but it happens sometimes. As you get older, injuries compound. Just like in life when you get sick in old age, illnesses compound.

As a person he's entitled to his money, sure. I'm all for that... But as a fan I'm wondering why he wouldn't accept retirement (the Lakers I'm sure would pay a lot of his salary, we've shown nothing but financial support to our players) and simply let the team that gave him nearly 30 million dollars move forward. Instead he's purposefully handicapping us and keeping us in a compromised position.

The team keeps saying "we couldn't ethically ask him to retire" but that just tells me they're begging him to do it passive aggressively.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:33 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Maybe by some strange twist we can get immediate help (from the draft, you never know) and contend. Maybe Nash can be healthy all season long. Stranger things have happened.

Jesus walked on water and turned water into wine. So yeah, I suppose Nash could be healthy all season long.
Savory Griddles

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:19 am

John3:16 wrote:Nash might wanna continue playing. He might believe he can get healthy and contribute.

sent him to the D-Fenders if he wants to play...
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:28 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 5m
Nash told me on Friday in OKC that he's continuing to work to stay in game shape, and could potentially be available. Stay tuned.
Expand

Just go away dude seriously. :bang:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lotus on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:13 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 5m
Nash told me on Friday in OKC that he's continuing to work to stay in game shape, and could potentially be available. Stay tuned.
Expand

Just go away dude seriously. :bang:

I honestly don't see the point of reporters giving this update. It has failed everytime. And even more importantly, I don't know why Nash would think Lakers fans care at this point. Seriously. This has to be one of the most snake bitten acquisitions in Lakers history.
lotus

Postby 432J on Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:34 pm

he's done one hell of a job in screwing the lakers over since he arrived
432J

Postby unpossibl1 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:18 am

If Nash were to come back would he be booed at home games? I think that would really show how intelligent the fan base is if they boo him for refusing to retire or medically retire thereby tying up cap space.
unpossibl1

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:01 pm

unpossibl1 wrote:If Nash were to come back would he be booed at home games? I think that would really show how intelligent the fan base is if they boo him for refusing to retire or medically retire thereby tying up cap space.

No, and if fans did I would be extremely embarrased. We as Lakers fans can be upset and frustrated at what has happened but he does deserve respect for the type of career he has had even if he should have called it quits before this year. Its not the fans right to make that decision. Like it or not our FO was the ones who gave him the 3 year deal and signed up for that.

We have ourselves to blame if anything.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:07 pm

After five weeks on the sidelines, Los Angeles Lakers guard Steve Nash is planning a return to the lineup on Friday night, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

The Lakers, left with only one healthy point guard, are planning to use Nash as a backup to Kendall Marshall against the Washington Wizards at Staples Center.

Nash, a two-time NBA MVP, participated in a full practice session with the Lakers on Thursday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steve-nash-planning-to-return-to-lakers-on-friday-030146565.html

Over/under 3 games played?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:13 pm

he'll be out by halftime again
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Weezy on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:20 pm

I'll go under, I can see him playing this full game, then maybe part of the next, and being out again. 1 1/2 to 2 games played. I might say over if 'Antoni would seriously limit his minutes, but we all know 'Antoni, he's incapable of doing that.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:58 pm

3 games max. Then maybe, just maybe, he'll do us all a favor and retire.

Okay, that's just wishful thinking.
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion