Re: Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Postby therealdeal on Fri May 16, 2014 9:35 pm

:man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:08 pm

Steve Nash reports feeling “great right now” but unsure how he will hold up next season
Posted on June 23, 2014 by Mark Medina
Steve Nash talks about the disappointing season and his future following his Lakers exit interview at their training facility in El Segundo, CA on Thursday, April 17, 2014. (Photo by Scott Varley, Daily Breeze)
Steve Nash talks about the disappointing season and his future following his Lakers exit interview at their training facility in El Segundo, CA on Thursday, April 17, 2014. (Photo by Scott Varley, Daily Breeze)

Two months has passed ever since the most frustrating season of Steve Nash’s 18-year career ended. Three more months await for the 40-year-old point guard to heal the persistent nerve damage in his back and hamstrings that kept him out last season for all but 15 games.

So how has his health held up thus far?

“I feel great right now. I’ve been able to be pretty much go without limitations as far as my training,” Nash said on Monday. “I’m obviously not trying to overdo it so I can allow that nerve to settle down perhaps and be less irritating. It has worked so far, but I would hate to say this is where it will be like once I join the rigors of an NBA schedule.”

Nash spoke those words on a conference call to promote the seventh annual “Steve Nash Foundation Showdown,” an organized pick-up soccer game taking place this Wednesday at Sara D. Roosevelt Park in New York City that will feature a handful of NBA stars (Dallas forward Dirk Nowitzki, Cleveland guard Kyrie Irving).

Nash will also play albeit with cautiousness surrounding his rehab. But he downplayed whether that could provide any indicator on how his health could play out long-term. Nash remains under contract with the Lakers for the 2014-15 season worth $9.8 million. Though the Lakers could waive him via the so-called stretch provision by July 31, the Lakers will more likely keep him so his entire salary comes off the books by the 2015 offseason. The Lakers may look to upgrade at point guard, such as drafting Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart, and have Nash provide a mentorship role off the bench in limited minutes.

“It’s way too early,” Nash said. “I’m not really sure I will know that until camp. But I’ll do everything I can to prepare myself for that environment.”

The next coach better keep his a** on the bench.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby unpossibl1 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:13 pm

So what is preventing us from offering Nash 10 million to become a "shooting coach" or something? There is no limit to what you can pay coaches and they don't count against the cap. It might be bending the rules a bit and I'm sure the NBA would try to do something to close that loophole in the future but right now we need every advantage we can get after Stern screwed us over with CP3.

Or is Nash that dead set on killing the Lakers that he wouldn't do it? He said he wants to get paid but did everything possible to avoid medical retirement last year even though he would have still been paid that way and the Lakers would have received cap space.
unpossibl1

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:57 pm

^ I think if he goes through that process the insurance company probably keeps him from getting his full salary somehow. That's got to be the only reason he'd be limping through this ridiculous farce. Well okay, he's a future Hall of Fame player so he probably wants to retire with a little positive mojo, but still... It's ridiculous.

I'd draft Smart, start him between Nash and Kobe, and then at the 11 minute mark of the 1st, sit Nash and let him coach Smart the rest of the game.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby davriver290 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:06 pm

I'd trade him. It's over. He's over.

He'll likely retire if we trade him. Or the coaches at the trading team can just bench him and isn't there some insurance policy that if he doesn't play certain amount of games the team only has to pay half or something?
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:30 am

Should the Lakers look to trade Steve Nash before his final season of a three-year, $27-million contract, the veteran point guard would receive a 15% trade bonus.

Nash is set to earn $9.7 million for the 2014-15 season — a trade would land him an additional $1.5 million ($11.2 million in total salary).

It would be the Lakers' responsibility to pay the 40-year old guard's bonus, not Nash's new team.

What the hell else did we give him? This might be the worst contract the Lakers have ever dished out.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby TIME on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:37 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Should the Lakers look to trade Steve Nash before his final season of a three-year, $27-million contract, the veteran point guard would receive a 15% trade bonus.

Nash is set to earn $9.7 million for the 2014-15 season — a trade would land him an additional $1.5 million ($11.2 million in total salary).

It would be the Lakers' responsibility to pay the 40-year old guard's bonus, not Nash's new team.

What the hell else did we give him? This might be the worst contract the Lakers have ever dished out.

Luke Walton and Devean George want equal time.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:42 am

Yeah I think George and especially Walton are still worse, but this one rates pretty high up there. We got caught in a bidding war for a 40 year old PG and it bit him us in the ***.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:44 am

Doc Brown wrote:

Does that extra money hit our cap though?
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:20 am

I don't think it does Barns.

In regards to Luke and George, at least with Luke we remained competitive and got the guys we wanted regardless of his contract. Nash on the other hand is a huge thorn in our side right now. If there was ever a chance to get Melo/Bron here, we would have to give our 7th pick up just to get rid of Nash.
Doc Brown

Postby Punk-101 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:38 am

Tommyboy456 wrote:
Eric Pincus @EricPincus · 1m

If a team were to trade for Steve Nash - their cap hit = $11.2 mil for coming season -but Lakers pay $1.5 mil of that http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la ... story.html …
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby khmrP on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:52 am

can't we do some sort of shady back door deal, like Nash retires but we promise to hire him as some coach or upper mgmt and pay him the same salary for a couple of years? :man1:
khmrP

Postby lotus on Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:10 pm

OMG! When will this nightmare end?!!!
lotus

Postby Frank Dux on Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:25 pm

^if the FO decides to stretch him, we might still be dealing with him in 3 years...
Frank Dux

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:49 pm

Not that it means much, but...

Marc Berman ‏@NYPost_Berman 2h

Nash looked excellent on soccer field tonight for his charity event on Lower East Side. Great vision. Looked healthy.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Barnstable on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:58 pm

JSM wrote:Not that it means much, but...

Nash looked excellent on soccer field tonight for his charity event on Lower East Side. Great vision. Looked healthy. Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:03 pm

^^^ :man10: And no, it doesn't mean much, it means almost nothing.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:05 pm

Barnstable wrote:

Nash looked excellent on soccer field tonight for his charity event on Lower East Side. Great vision. Looked healthy. Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get.

:man10:
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby 432J on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:06 pm

yeah steve just keep playing soccer!

that way you don't have to play for the lakers anymore!
432J

Postby southbaylakers72 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:07 pm

Steve: you recouped your divorce money, the kids have grown a couple of years older, you got a new haircut, don't you think it's time?
Make each day a masterpiece.
southbaylakers72

Postby khmrP on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:05 pm

Nash looked excellent on soccer field tonight for his charity event on Lower East Side. Great vision. Looked healthy.

hopefully nobody sneezes on his knees, who knows how many nerve it'll irritate
khmrP

Postby Frank Dux on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:48 pm

Steve can barely play 10% of his contract with the Lakers but he hasn't seemed to have any problems on the soccer field over the last few years.
Frank Dux

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:45 pm

Frank Dux wrote:Steve can barely play 10% of his contract with the Lakers but he hasn't seemed to have any problems on the soccer field over the last few years.

To be fair, he only plays like 1 soccer game per year. By comparison he gave the Lakers like 15 TIMES that last season. :man11:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Psychobroker on Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:04 am

Weezy wrote:
Frank Dux wrote:Steve can barely play 10% of his contract with the Lakers but he hasn't seemed to have any problems on the soccer field over the last few years.

To be fair, he only plays like 1 soccer game per year. By comparison he gave the Lakers like 15 TIMES that last season. :man11:

:man1: :man10:

Seriously though, this has got to be the 2nd worst contract in Lakers' history... right behind Luke's..
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:28 pm

Psychobroker wrote:
Weezy wrote:

:man1: :man10:

Seriously though, this has got to be the 2nd worst contract in Lakers' history... right behind Luke's..

I gotta disagree. Nash is the worst because Luke didn't really prevent us from doing anything in free agency since we were never below the cap. And Nash makes twice as much. With no Nash we don't have to entertain the idea of giving up our 7th pick. We could be offering Stephenson and Lowry market value deals and still keep the draft pick as well as still having enough for a max slot NEXT offseason. Nash's contract is debilitating as it pertains to our rebuild.
Savory Griddles

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion