Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Re: Nash Discussion: ESPN LA 710 radio interview (160)

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:37 am

He's on the books for over 9 million dollars this year; my guess is we use the 'stretch provision' on him next year. I think he'll help us; it will give us more financial flexibility heading into the summer...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:47 am

lotus wrote:He was too old last year, I hope no one thinks he is going to get better with age. He cannot be relied on, period. The point guard position will be dominated Blake and Farmar, until Blake gets packaged at the trade deadline. That's my guess.

Well, the year prior to him playing with us, he was pretty effective in Phoenix.

Then Blake came into the season injured and Nash had to log heavy minutes. He got injured and was never the same since.

He's still recovering some little injuries now.

He should sit out until he's 100%, he's in no position to force himself to play.

20mpg max for Nash.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:05 pm

I hate to say it but I hope Nash is traded somehow for an upgrade at PG.. I think we only have 2 chances at this.. Hopefully he wants to retire in Canada & play for his home country for what looks like his final season & the Raps knowing they can make a ton of cash by bringing him in might get us Lowry + filler.. Or he could be packaged with Pau's huge expiring to retire with the Suns who are notoriously cheap.. They could sell the fans on bringing Nash back, & Nash can avoid the LA child support/alimony drama that he should have seen coming. If Pau comes out playing like an allstar, could Pau + Nash net us Dragic + Gortat? That'd be amazing. It would surely mean eating some of the Suns bad contracts. They don't really have any super bad contracts left.. Probably Frye & 1 of their young guys. Yeah that makes no sense for Phx. We're stuck with Nash. I wouldn't mind it if we replaced Blake with an upgrade with Nash taking Meeks minutes & 3rd PG minutes. I hope we can solve the PG problem without dealing Pau unless it's for a Rondo/Wall/Lillard/Dragic.. I get iffy when we get to the guys like Kemba, Knight, Teague.. If there's more in the package for us maybe it could work out but I don't know.. Could we pry away a big like Monroe along with Stuckey for Pau & Nash? Pau would be a much better fit next to drummond & a pass first PG would give them some balance with Jennings.
LakersN4

Postby Weezy on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:21 pm

I actually think Nash looked good in limited time last night. He buried a couple of shots and made some pretty sweet passes, he's just old and overall not the same guy. I feel like he is going to miss a lot of time this season though, and he cannot be our PG next season, no way, he's too old and the PG position is about speed and athleticism now.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:22 pm

his health is gonna be key. hes obviously not trying very hard at all pre season. but he had some nice drives and spin moves in the paint then kick outs so that was good to see. would like to see him take more shots in the reg season
Ariza3

Postby Juronimo on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:24 pm

I think he's looked good in limited minutes, definitely better than he looked last season. I'm not expecting Nash from 2006 to come back, that player is long gone. If he can stay on the floor it's a big benefit for us.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:42 pm

He needs to retire. He looks fine playing 15 minutes a game, but is that really enough? If he doesn't retire at the end of this season I'll be tremendously disappointed in him.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:44 pm

Juronimo wrote:I think he's looked good in limited minutes, definitely better than he looked last season. I'm not expecting Nash from 2006 to come back, that player is long gone. If he can stay on the floor it's a big benefit for us.

Yeah, the brain for the game is still there but his body just can't sustain anything.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby karacha on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:07 pm

This year, he should play limited minutes and then he should retire and become assistant coach. He's a very intelligent player and he still has a great feel for the game, but he can't sustain it, obviously. I would welcome people like him and Fish in a coaching role though. They are true professionals.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:42 pm

I honestly think Nash might retire after this season if not next season for sure, it's a shame that this fantastic 4 experiment didn't work out because Nash's window was only for that amount of time.

He can still contribute & dish, but at this point it's not much...

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:50 am

Perhaps no other player enjoyed the Lakers’ day off Wednesday more than Nash.

The 39-year-old point guard sat out of the entire second half of the Lakers’ preseason win Tuesday over Utah both for health and fatigue concerns.

“He had a little neck (issue),” D’Antoni said. “He said he felt pretty good. But he thought he’d push it if he went on.”

Nash has stayed limited in training camp in hopes of avoiding last season’s nightmare. Then, he missed a combined 32 games because of a fractured left leg and back and hamstring issues.

He has since healed those injuries. But Nash missed the majority of a preseason game two weeks ago because of a sore left ankle. He has averaged 3.5 points on 42.9 percent shooting and 3.71 assists in 16.7 minutes through six preseason games.

“Steve hasn’t been able to compete much in practice yet,” Gasol said. “That’s a big issue. I’m a little bit concerned.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

I'd trade him ASAP to any team that wanted him.

He came into camp healthy and has already had ankle, back and now neck issues and he hasn't even played that much to get these injuries.

He's got to go and for sure by the start of next year.

Sorry Nash, great player, but at this point it's a burden more than a benefit.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:55 am

He's an old man and Father Time has betrayed him. It's time to go.

He ought to retire as soon as he can. I'd honor his desire to be in LA and his desire to come here and give us what he could, but I'd tell him it's in his best interest to retire. He came here for a chance to win, it didn't work out that way, but if he really wanted to help the team NOW... he'd retire.

If part of that retirement was finishing his career in Toronto or something, I'd try to make that happen... Otherwise, it's time for him to hang it up.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:58 am

Nash really needs to sit until he's 100%. There's no need for him to force himself out there playing injured.

This season is pretty much as wash anyway, although I'd love to believe otherwise.

Get healthy, and come back strong Steve. Farmar and Blake would do just fine.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:15 am

He's not going to get healthy.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:49 am

Bad signs for Nash. Anyone expecting Nash to have a super productive, fully healthy season after seeing him get those two epidurals just to hobble through the playoffs last year was probably having very wishful thinking.

But I have to say, it seemed like he was relatively healthy coming into camp. As everyone is saying, Father Time seems to have won again.

Even if Nash can go for much of this season, and that doesn't look highly likely, I think he truly needs to hang 'em up at the end of this year.
Lakerjones

Postby lotus on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:31 am

When this relationship is over, I believe my end thoughts on Nash as an L.A. Laker is that he really got over on the Lakers. This deal was more help for him and his bank account and to accommodate his family issues. But, this has been a bust for the Lakers.
lotus

Postby Weezy on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:55 pm

@LakersReporter: Kobe said Nash’s injury issues concern him “a little bit.” He credited Nash for trying to battle, but has a ways to go.

@LakersReporter: Nash: he could have played in second halves of preseason games, but he doesn’t want to push too far. Said he remains optimistic/determined.

@LakersReporter: Nash said it remains a possibility to sit out some back to backs. Farmar’s emergence gives that plan wings, but Nash not conceding it yet.

Looks like Nash is gonna go down fighting, or perhaps kicking and screaming. Shame, looks like he stayed 2 years too long in the league, probably should have retired before he came here.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:17 pm

Weezy wrote:
@LakersReporter: Kobe said Nash’s injury issues concern him “a little bit.” He credited Nash for trying to battle, but has a ways to go.

@LakersReporter: Nash: he could have played in second halves of preseason games, but he doesn’t want to push too far. Said he remains optimistic/determined.

@LakersReporter: Nash said it remains a possibility to sit out some back to backs. Farmar’s emergence gives that plan wings, but Nash not conceding it yet.

Looks like Nash is gonna go down fighting, or perhaps kicking and screaming. Shame, looks like he stayed 2 years too long in the league, probably should have retired before he came here.

Of course looking back you can say that, but his last year in PHX he was still a very good player. It's fair to see why he wanted to continue playing, it's just too bad it hasn't worked out for either party.
XXIV

Postby Weezy on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:56 pm

Oh I know, it's all hindsight, that's why I said it looks like he stayed 2 years too long, only now do we see it. Me saying he should have retired is me saying I wish he'd retired. Would have spared hon looking so mortal and given us time to find a future PG, which we still lack.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Dratini927 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:39 pm

@SerenaWinters
"The neck hurt to start the game but I felt like I needed the min.s - I'd sacrifice the neck tonight to try to get some playing time" - Nash

@SerenaWinters: "The neck is a nightmare right now." - Not exactly what we want to hear from Steve Nash.

https://twitter.com/SerenaWinters/statu ... 8167281664 October 26, 2013

Not what we need to hear. :scurred:
Last edited by Dratini927 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt the Drat

Dratini927

Postby HighlyFavored on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:44 pm

I wish we were allowed to amnesty Nash. SMH! :bang: :mad1:
HighlyFavored

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:52 am

therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Uncle Drew on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:17 am

I don't know about his injuries, but he didn't look bad at all, moved pretty well and had a few nice cuts to the rim and that one beautiful assist to Shawne no look over the shoulder.
Play him around 25 to 28 minutes and that is fine, we can rely on Farmar because he is looking awesome out there, i'm not worried at all, but his 9$m contract is hurting.
KobeBryant
#vamos #juntos #lakercorazon #vino
Uncle Drew

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:01 am

I can't see him having much success in chasing Redick around ...
wcsoldier81

Postby 432J on Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:53 am

he needs to retire ASAP

i cringe everytime i see him out there because it feels like he's just one ankle twist away from breaking down for good. it's sad because he has one of the highest basketball IQ's in recent history but his body just can't handle this high level anymore. and honestly, i highly doubt he'll be effective at all when in the limited minutes he does play
432J

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion