Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Re: Nash Discussion: Nash Stash (192)

Postby Nashty Gal on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:46 pm

Hate the stash nash :disagree:

The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:20 pm

I'm gonna put the "please retire" stuff on hold for one night. That was a great game for Nash, he looked like his old self, had some nice passes and was our leading scorer. He gave full effort out there tonight, and it was great to watch, good for him.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:22 pm

Yeah man, he looked great out there.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:01 pm

karacha wrote:Yeah man, he looked great out there.

but for how long..............................................
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:06 pm

Nash took me down memory lane tonight. Let's see if he can continue this the rest of the season.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:18 pm

that boy can play! Damn he looked pretty damn good tonight. Happy BDay
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:09 am

So everyone set down their hatorade for a second and answer honestly. Just for how Nash has played for the Lakers in his injury riddled short career……do you think this short sample of 2 games has him playing at a level now the Lakers haven't seen yet? I know I know I know he could go down tomorrow. But pretty damn impressive with the skills to play the game he still is bringing when healthy. Hey maybe he becomes a trade asset.

:man1:
LTLakerFan

Postby West's Formula 44 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:05 am

(Clears throat...).
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Vince Lombardi
West's Formula 44

Postby Showtime.Revival.05 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:41 am

LTLakerFan wrote:So everyone set down their hatorade for a second and answer honestly. Just for how Nash has played for the Lakers in his injury riddled short career……do you think this short sample of 2 games has him playing at a level now the Lakers haven't seen yet? I know I know I know he could go down tomorrow. But pretty damn impressive with the skills to play the game he still is bringing when healthy. Hey maybe he becomes a trade asset.

he's old, banged up, and costs too much money. but steve nash is still steve nash. there's a reason he won back to back mvp's, and it wasn't because he was young and athletic. if he's healthy enough, he's still a very decent player

don't really think we can get much for him in a trade though..
Showtime.Revival.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby raviator on Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:58 am

Gotta admit, dude played pretty well for a 40 year old. It actually gives me hope that a certain other former MVP can come back and play at a pretty decent level.
raviator

Postby Helljumper on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:18 am

LTLakerFan wrote:So everyone set down their hatorade for a second and answer honestly. Just for how Nash has played for the Lakers in his injury riddled short career……do you think this short sample of 2 games has him playing at a level now the Lakers haven't seen yet? I know I know I know he could go down tomorrow. But pretty damn impressive with the skills to play the game he still is bringing when healthy. Hey maybe he becomes a trade asset.

Playing at a level the Lakers haven't seen yet? Not at all. It seems that people have been so frustrated with his injuries that they forget how well he was playing for us last year. 13 points, 7 assists, 50, 40, 90.
Helljumper

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:50 am

^Actually, he had games last year (See Brooklyn game last year) where he looking like 'vintage' Nash; However, those were few and far between...he has never been the same after the broken leg in Portland last year. While those stats you post are very good, it wasn't the Nash we were all accustomed to seeing in Phoenix. He was relegated to a spot-up shooter and was very good at it for a period of time.

When we faced the more athletic teams, that's where it seemed that Nash could be exploited, though; it's also the reason why I am happy for him having a very nice game, I don't forget it's against the 76ers. The teams that pressure Nash on ball or 'blitz' him give him a lot of trouble. I believe it's a combination of suffering that broken leg and the league just getting more quicker & athletic at the position. Defensively, when defense starts at the point of attack, PG's can blow by Nash with relative ease; remember, we didn't face the Westbrook, Parker, Curry's of the world yesterday...I would love Nash to come back into form; as he said 'he was able to move better' which is an encouraging sign. So, let's hope to more productive games out of Nashty...
lukewaltonsdad

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:13 am

That was a fantastic game from Nash honestly. But even so he looked the part of a 40 year old man most of the time. Slow, not much explosion. I'd be shocked if he didn't feel incredible pain this morning in his body.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:23 am

lukewaltonsdad wrote:^Actually, he had games last year (See Brooklyn game last year) where he looking like 'vintage' Nash; However, those were few and far between...he has never been the same after the broken leg in Portland last year. While those stats you post are very good, it wasn't the Nash we were all accustomed to seeing in Phoenix. He was relegated to a spot-up shooter and was very good at it for a period of time.

When we faced the more athletic teams, that's where it seemed that Nash could be exploited, though; it's also the reason why I am happy for him having a very nice game, I don't forget it's against the 76ers. The teams that pressure Nash on ball or 'blitz' him give him a lot of trouble. I believe it's a combination of suffering that broken leg and the league just getting more quicker & athletic at the position. Defensively, when defense starts at the point of attack, PG's can blow by Nash with relative ease; remember, we didn't face the Westbrook, Parker, Curry's of the world yesterday...I would love Nash to come back into form; as he said 'he was able to move better' which is an encouraging sign. So, let's hope to more productive games out of Nashty...

I agree with you. That's my point. I think it's a discredit to Nash to act like last night's game was the only good performance we've seen from him in a Lakers jersey. We've seen glimpses of vintage Nash as a Laker before. But like you said, they were few and far between, and he's just too old to be effective against athletic defenses that put a lot of pressure on him. I wouldn't expect that to be any different this year.
Helljumper

Postby karacha on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:22 am

therealdeal wrote:That was a fantastic game from Nash honestly. But even so he looked the part of a 40 year old man most of the time. Slow, not much explosion. I'd be shocked if he didn't feel incredible pain this morning in his body.

That just happens when you're 40. Even if you keep your body in shape and you're a professional athlete. Nothing can be done about it. A 40 year old man is young, but a 40 year old athlete is ancient, if that makes sense.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Uncle Drew on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:07 pm

I'm so happy for Nash, love watching him, putting Evan Turner on skates on that behind the back dribble at 40 :bow: :bow: i reacted just like Nick Young at 3AM :man10:
KobeBryant
#vamos #juntos #lakercorazon #vino
Uncle Drew

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:09 pm

(wipes eyes....)
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:46 pm

karacha wrote:
therealdeal wrote:That was a fantastic game from Nash honestly. But even so he looked the part of a 40 year old man most of the time. Slow, not much explosion. I'd be shocked if he didn't feel incredible pain this morning in his body.

That just happens when you're 40. Even if you keep your body in shape and you're a professional athlete. Nothing can be done about it. A 40 year old man is young, but a 40 year old athlete is ancient, if that makes sense.

I know. I'm just saying that those performances are going to be few and far between.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:09 pm

Imagine we winning the lottery Nash to Embiid!
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby karacha on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:15 pm

Oh, I agree, real. I bet Nash knows it as well. He just loves to play the game.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:53 pm

Which I absolutely appreciate. I just know how this story ends and I'd like to see it end differently for him. He's been decent these last two games, but it's not BECAUSE of him we're winning. It's because of Blake and because of Farmar. Nash right now isn't doing a whole lot more than Marshall could do.

I want him to end it now before he hurts himself again. End on a decent note. Why not come back to LA and play one more game, do your best, and leave it there? Before something bad happens?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:48 pm

If you guys caught any of his post game interviews with Trudell or Ireland you could definitely tell there was real, genuine love for the game on Nash's part and how well he knows it can end at any time. For anyone to ever think Nash is just trying to stick it to the Lakers one last time and not retire watch those interviews and you'll see the real answer. Watch both interviews I could tell just how thankful he was to at least be back on the court in some degree. Me trying to explain it doesn't do Nash justice in those clips.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Weezy on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:41 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:If you guys caught any of his post game interviews with Trudell or Ireland you could definitely tell there was real, genuine love for the game on Nash's part and how well he knows it can end at any time. For anyone to ever think Nash is just trying to stick it to the Lakers one last time and not retire watch those interviews and you'll see the real answer. Watch both interviews I could tell just how thankful he was to at least be back on the court in some degree. Me trying to explain it doesn't do Nash justice in those clips.

That's why I stopped yelling for him to retire. One because it doesn't seem likely now unless he gets injured in the next game, and two because I heard in his voice and saw on his face how bad he wants to just play. If he wants to and can play out the rest of this season, doesn't bother me anymore, we're lottery bound no matter what. He doesn't seem to be stopping Marshall from still doing his thing either, and Blake has looked fine at SG so far.

Hearing all his teammates talk about how hard he's been working to get back, and hearing what he was really doing in Canada to get in shape, who am I to tell the man to just stop doing what he loves. He said he loves playing ball, loves playing with these guys, and loves playing with the Lakers, and I believe him. I just hope he goes out on his own terms this time, he's a classy guy and he deserves at least that.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:53 am

Lakers Rumors: Steve Nash planning to retire after this season?

Steve Nash made a triumphant return to the court earlier this week and celebrated his 40th birthday in style by becoming the first 40-year-old since Michael Jordan in 2003 to lead an NBA game in scoring.

However, despite the success the Canadian has seen so far – albeit only in two games – Nash may be planning to retire after this season is over.

According to Mitch Lawrence from the NY Daily News, Nash has been telling friends that “this is going to be it” despite there being one year left on his deal. Lawrence says that Nash missed the camaraderie of playing on a team and “wants to experience that for at least the last part of this season before he calls it a career.”

Nash is set to earn $9.7 million in the final year of his deal and how much the Lakers could owe him – and how much would count against their salary cap – would likely be determined by how and why Nash retires. For example, when Jason Kidd retired last year while having two seasons left on his contract with the New York Knicks, Kidd decided to forgo the remaining salary he was owed. This enabled the Knicks to wipe Kidd’s remaining salary off their books, according to The Knicks Blog.

It’s worth noting that there have already been whispers of Nash retiring in the past, though they didn’t amount to anything and the two-time MVP worked his way back into game shape in order to return to the court.

Still, it would make sense if Nash made this big push to finish this season at a high level in order to bow out of the game on his own terms. After all, coming back for another season as a soon-to-be 41-year-old could be risky to say the least.

It’s possible that Nash simply wants to go out on top, and I don’t think anyone would blame him for wanting to do that.

If true, would Nash pull a J.Kidd and help us out like that?

If so, Nash can do whatever he wants this season in my book.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:19 am

If he pulled a J. Kidd, that'd help immensely. Retire, knock his salary off the books, and we're looking at a LOT of room to maneuver.

If we trade Pau we don't even have his Cap hold.

Kobe- 23.5 million
Sacre- 900,000
Marshall- 900,000
Pick- 3 million

We're looking at roughly 32 million dollars to spend. That's crazy. We could literally sign a max FA AND Lance Stephenson. Bring the rest back from this season that we want and baby we got a stew going.

Marshall/Farmar
Stephenson/Henry
Kobe/Young
LeBron/Kelly
Embiid/Sacre

:man9:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion