Nash needs to stop trying to be perfect teammate

Nash needs to stop trying to be perfect teammate

Postby hollywood swinger on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:18 pm

This guy needs to shoot more & be more aggressive. It's obvious 24 needs more support because D12 & pau both stink at scoring in the post. Gatsby needs to get more selfish & try to score 20pts a night. The assist will come when he is more aggressive & will help D12 get easy buckets.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Re: Nash needs to stop trying to be perfect teammate

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:23 pm

i would agree he needs to be more of a scoring presence on offense, but i worry about the extra exertion with his mileage.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby lotus on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:25 pm

He's 39yrs old and not what he used to be.
lotus

Postby Weezy on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:33 pm

At the very least he needs to take some shots in the 4th in crunch time, he needs to be a little selfish.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Armani on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:39 pm

What Nash was doing on offense was working tonight, honestly. Pau was horrible... there's not much we can do about that. Between Nash and Kobe's offense, this game was a win.
Armani

Postby Finwë on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:49 pm

I did think he was too passive this game. Forget about passing it to Kobe all the time, he was constantly giving up the ball to the likes of Meeks & MWP who were utter garbage out there... Also kept feeding Howard who look very resource-less out there.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Maluco Beleza on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:50 pm

shoot the damn ball... is all he do is pass??????
Maluco Beleza

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:52 pm

He's a little older so setting up and doing all the damage with the passing, then playing defense on the other team's best p.g. and then getting his own shots would just put so much wear and tear on him and if we made the postseason he'd be spent. I do want to see the Nash that was on the Suns, he was the main focus when it came to making plays but he also hit shots in key situations.
Jazzygirl205

Postby DHL on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:53 pm

at least we don't have darius morris playing big minutes
Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby phoenixrisingla on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:54 pm

Please stop dribbling up the court and immediatly passing to kobe.

Is this what we brought STEVE NASH here to do??
phoenixrisingla

Postby noobiew on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:58 pm

Agree Nash does need to be more aggressive though
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby RayDog5393 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:00 am

When do you guys think he is going to shoot more? Better yet, what do you think its going to take for him to realize this? That is the question....
RayDog5393

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:01 am

If you want to save Kobe energy at the beginning of the game ... I'd like to see Nash agressive on the PNR ... don't go to Kwame Brown in the post
wcsoldier81

Postby hollywood swinger on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:52 am

RayDog5393 wrote:
When do you guys think he is going to shoot more?
Better yet, what do you think its going to take for him to realize this? That is the question....

when we are 40 games below .500
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:20 am

he didnt shoot until it was too late it felt like. hes not defending cp3 so i think he can get in the lane and shoot some. he shot the 3 very well and his first 3 was the first aggressive thing he did after that nothing really scoring wise. it was all open jumpers he had to shoot. that first 3 was an aggressive move bc they were in kind of a zone.

i would like 9 shots a game making 4-5 safe to say and not including FT's
Ariza3

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:54 am

Nash definitely needs to be more selfish. He was 3-4 from the 3 and had 12 pts on just 4 shots.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Phil XI on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:44 pm

phoenixrisingla wrote:Please stop dribbling up the court and immediatly passing to kobe.

This. Run the O first and Kobe will get some. Then second, if the clock is winding down, go to Kobe to create.
Not the other way around.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby magicman32 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:31 pm

How come even last year when we played Nash, even though he was 37-38 with the Suns last year, it always seemed like we ended up with Bynum or Gasol guarding Nash because of the pick and roll??

He used to always come down, like CP3 does, and run the pick and roll and end up with a 7 footer guarding him. Then he would just drive by or take a jumper over the big guy.

He never does that anymore.
magicman32

Postby LakerBoyz24 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:59 pm

phoenixrisingla wrote:Please stop dribbling up the court and immediatly passing to kobe.

This is the team makeup we get with Kobe. It's not Nash's fault, but the team(or Kobe) insists to be built on the foundation of Kobe as the sole #1 option. The formula for success with Kobe ball is good versatile role players and a dominant top 5 C/PF who can share the #1/#2 options with Kobe(like the Paul Gasol/ Kobe Era where we won rings). In this system, Kobe would be taking the most shots with the top5 C/PF taking much of the rest and the role players getting their touches when available.

Sadly, a Gasol like player who is versatile but thrives while playing the C position more than the PF position who is top5 in this position does not exist to us atm. Instead we have Dwight Howard and Paul Gasol who cannot coexist since they operate in the same paint area and they clutter the paint. So that limits Gasol to a jump shooting stretch 4, making him mostly useless, not to mention he's not in his prime anymore. We have a SF who is inconsistent and is basically a spot up 3 point shooter, unlike Odom in his glorious run with the Lakers. We have an aging 40 year old PG who made his career running pick-n-rolls with other players, only to be limited by Kobe's abundant need for shots.

That's why Derick Fisher and Rick Fox and other spot up shooting PG's worked in Kobeball systems. There is no actual need for a real PG in a Kobeball system, just one who can occasionally bring up the ball and hit the 3 when needed, and maybe run a play or two and hit a layup.

Ironically, Mario Chalmers would be the ultimate Kobeball PG; he's basically an upgraded Derrick Fisher on steroids. :man4: He can finish well and create for himself when needed to, does not need the ball most of the time/off the ball player, knows his own role, he's still young, he can take over games and is "clutch" and can hit that 3 when needed to, and Chalmers is a great defensive player. Basically, he does everything Derrick Fisher did, but at a (much) higher level, and some more. Chalmers performs his role most of the time, but he has the uncanny ability to be BIG in important games and take over games by himself(yes, remember some of his 20-30 point games in the playoffs. When Chalmers is on like that, the big 3 can be mediocre/playing bad and the Heat will still be unstoppable).
LakerBoyz24

Postby borri on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:15 pm

LOL you all are way over-analyzing things. We've lost 3 games since Nash came back and won 3.

In those 3 losses the same damn thing has occurred.....Didn't play a lick of D. 2 of 3, PHI and LAC, not only did we not play a lick of D, we couldn't shoot.

Not gonna win too many damn games failing on BOTH ends of the court.

Nash, being the wily vet that he is, should have recognized the "flow" of the game and shoot the ball more. We would have won both games if Nash put up 10-15 shots. Kobe recognized it, and shot us withing whiskers of 2 wins. He needs a little help. And when you've got one of the BEST shooters in the history of the game, not shooting enough.....well that's an issue that needs to be fixed.

How do we fix the horrible D....benching Pau and starting Hill would be a good start.
borri

Postby ElginTheGreat on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:26 pm

I agree with the OP and made a similar point in a different thread. I think Nash should look to shoot more to take the scoring load off of a Kobe a bit and to force opposing guards to have to spend more energy defending him.
ElginTheGreat

Postby Armani on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:37 pm

borri wrote:LOL you all are way over-analyzing things. We've lost 3 games since Nash came back and won 3.

In those 3 losses the same damn thing has occurred.....Didn't play a lick of D. 2 of 3, PHI and LAC, not only did we not play a lick of D, we couldn't shoot.

Not gonna win too many damn games failing on BOTH ends of the court.

Nash, being the wily vet that he is, should have recognized the "flow" of the game and shoot the ball more. We would have won both games if Nash put up 10-15 shots. Kobe recognized it, and shot us withing whiskers of 2 wins. He needs a little help. And when you've got one of the BEST shooters in the history of the game, not shooting enough.....well that's an issue that needs to be fixed.

How do we fix the horrible D....benching Pau and starting Hill would be a good start.

Lakers had an Offensive rating of 111 in the Clipper game. That's Miami's average offensive rating for the season, and they're a Top 3 offensive team. Even with Pau being bad, the Lakers are ELITE on offense. It's the defense that's the main problem.
Armani

Postby JGC on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Lakers are not elite just because of the ORTG. The ORTG is just a reflection of stats produced, it doesn't tell you HOW those stats are produced. Anyone watching these games should clearly see we're still not in sync offensively (nor defensively for that matter).

Do you really watch the games and come to the conclusion that the Lakers offensively, are a well oiled machine?

I guess we're better without Dwight Howard offensively then since our ORTG with him OFF the court is better than with him ON the court.
JGC

Postby trodgers on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:25 pm

JGC wrote:Lakers are not elite just because of the ORTG. The ORTG is just a reflection of stats produced, it doesn't tell you HOW those stats are produced. Anyone watching these games should clearly see we're still not in sync offensively (nor defensively for that matter).

Do you really watch the games and come to the conclusion that the Lakers offensively, are a well oiled machine?

I guess we're better without Dwight Howard offensively then since our ORTG with him OFF the court is better than with him ON the court.

I think we are better with Dwight off the court.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby JGC on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:29 pm

trodgers wrote:
JGC wrote:Lakers are not elite just because of the ORTG. The ORTG is just a reflection of stats produced, it doesn't tell you HOW those stats are produced. Anyone watching these games should clearly see we're still not in sync offensively (nor defensively for that matter).

I think we are better with Dwight off the court.

And better defensively too?

You honestly think we would have been better off with Bynum then? Sure, Bynum wouldn't be playing now, but then, we'd be better than we are now anyway with Bynum on the way back.
JGC

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion