#NBArank 6: Kobe Bryant

Re: #NBArank 6: Kobe Bryant

Postby thisbjgz on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:19 am

I don't know why some of you guys are upset. It's not disrespect IMO to rank Kobe at #6. He really isn't in his prime anymore. I'm a huge huge Kobe supporter but I do believe father time has arrived and while he still can play with some of the best today(Kd,Bron) he just isn't THE best. Without question in his prime Kobe would be ranked 1 with a huge gap from 2. No one on that list can touch Kobe's legacy. This was a poll on who are the best players today. And quite frankly those 5 players above him are players even some you Laker fans would start a franchise over a 34 year old Kobe
thisbjgz

Postby v1n5anity on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:21 am

lakersStan24 wrote:My Top 10 Are, 1. Kevin Durant 2. Lebron James 3. Kobe Bryant 4. Derrick Rose 5. Dwayne Wade 6. Dwight Howard 7. Carmelo Anthony 8. Chris Paul 9. Dirk Nowitzki 10. Blake Griffin

This list is so wrong I don't even know where to begin. First, LeBron is the best player in the game, no question. There's a considerable gap between him and anyone else in the league. It's not even debatable. Durant literally does nothing better than LeBron other than jumpshooting.

Kobe is not a top 3 player, that is just being completely bias.

How is Dwight not a top 5 player? :freak2: Only 1 player in the game dominates both ends of the floor more than Dwight and his name is LeBron.

Carmelo Anthony is NOT a top 10 player. He literally cannot do anything but score. And for him to score, he takes away from his teammates. He can't pass, he can't play D, he can't lead a team, etc. The guy is a loser and should be no where near top 10 in the game.

Paul is better than Wade/Kobe/Rose.

Blake Griffin should be no where near top 10. He's all form...no substance.
v1n5anity

Postby tttttada on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:22 am

V1n5anity wrote:
lakersStan24 wrote:My Top 10 Are, 1. Kevin Durant 2. Lebron James 3. Kobe Bryant 4. Derrick Rose 5. Dwayne Wade 6. Dwight Howard 7. Carmelo Anthony 8. Chris Paul 9. Dirk Nowitzki 10. Blake Griffin

This list is so wrong I don't even know where to begin. First, LeBron is the best player in the game, no question. There's a considerable gap between him and anyone else in the league. It's not even debatable. Durant literally does nothing better than LeBron other than jumpshooting.

Kobe is not a top 3 player, that is just being completely bias.

How is Dwight not a top 5 player? :freak2: Only 1 player in the game dominates both ends of the floor more than Dwight and his name is LeBron.

Carmelo Anthony is NOT a top 10 player. He literally cannot do anything but score. And for him to score, he takes away from his teammates. He can't pass, he can't play D, he can't lead a team, etc. The guy is a loser and should be no where near top 10 in the game.

Paul is better than Wade/Kobe/Rose.

Blake Griffin should be no where near top 10. He's all form...no substance.

I agree.

Lebron is best player in the league by a HUGE margin.

Durant is so overrated. He is a prolific scorer, probably the best in the league, but he still has some glaring weaknesses in other parts of his game. Dirk in his prime was a more complete player IMHO. Somehow Durant is given the pass on his weaknesses because "he is so humble" I don't get it.

2nd-4th best player in the league would probably be either Rose (uninjured, of course), CP3 or Howard. They are all exceptional players in their prime that play both ends of the floor.

5th-7th best players would be Wade, Kobe or Durant.

Kobe can still be great for one game, but has lost a considerable amount of athletism and stamina. He still has the greatest skillset and instincts in the game. I think he can still climb up this list if he can regain his shooting efficiency (especially midrange) and be more consistent on defense.
tttttada

Postby S.R.05 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:34 am

LOL wrote:i dont know if you guys watch football, but this guy is exactly like drogba. that aura, that clutchness, that stare he has in his eyes. ice run through their veins. they are feared and respected. they always perform when the team needs them. time and time again people will say some one is better, faster, stronger. but regardless of age they always come through to prove they are the best. not because of physicality, but mentality.

yeah except drogba is physically a beast as a striker. also kobe doesnt flop around like a fish out of water everytime someone touches him
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:11 am

I'm cool with this, Kobe didn't shoot his best last season despite leading the NBA in scoring, now if he wasn't in the top 10 at all then we'd have a problem. Hey at least they moved him up a spot lol.
Jazzygirl205

Postby JGC on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:25 am

thisbjgz wrote:I don't know why some of you guys are upset. It's not disrespect IMO to rank Kobe at #6. He really isn't in his prime anymore. I'm a huge huge Kobe supporter but I do believe father time has arrived and while he still can play with some of the best today(Kd,Bron) he just isn't THE best. Without question in his prime Kobe would be ranked 1 with a huge gap from 2. No one on that list can touch Kobe's legacy. This was a poll on who are the best players today. And quite frankly those 5 players above him are players even some you Laker fans would start a franchise over a 34 year old Kobe

Because for the most part (not entirely), but for the most part, we, like fans of any other team, are a bunch of whiners who think the media, the league, etc are against us.

The best part is how people say things like "OMG LULZ, Kobe at 6?! He should be at 5. BSPN SUCKS and got it totally wrong."

The same people who get pumped when Kobe wins Western Conference player of the week, are the same people who downplay the accolade as meaningless when he doesn't win it. No one would say BSPN sucks if they put Kobe at #1 and Lebron at #6. I've never seen people complain about ESPN or any other media outlet ranking Kobe too high. Haha.

It is still hard to comprehend at times, but it's like mothers who TRULY believe their children are the best looking, smartest and more valuable children in the world. Sometimes, and even I'm still learning this, you gotta just sit back and chuckle because they aren't going to be able to objectively discuss with you.
JGC

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:35 am

:man10:

The majority of posters in here are fine with a 6 rating. Most who argue he is in the top five only say so because 2 of the 5 people ahead of him didn't even finish last season so who's to say they come back better and more effective than Kobe? But if/when they come back, those same people will say "well Derrick and Dwight are exactly what they were before so they deserve their rankings".

Not many people are saying "Oh WAT? KOBE SHOULD BE #1!" Most of us are being quite rational.

But yeah, it's hilarious that some people in here simply don't understand the sweet learned life of us people right?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:12 pm

JGC you don't like Kobe do you :man10:...
Jazzygirl205

Postby The Original 81 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Yeah I haven't read one complaint about his ranking, some even pointed out the fact that he moved up from last year and had a bad year.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby JGC on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Jazzygirl205 wrote:JGC you don't like Kobe do you :man10:...

I love Kobe. He's my favorite Laker and by a long shot. But he is far from flawless (even if he might be the closest thing to it). He has a LOT of flaws. Most people don't see them, or don't want to see them.

I think one could make an argument he is a couple of spots above 6. Some could make an argument he is lower than 6. I don't see anything egregious about being ranked 6th.
JGC

Postby venky on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:58 pm

Dwight Howard is NOT better than Kobe Bryant. I am so tired of the disrespect towards Kobe.
venky

Postby JGC on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:14 pm

The Original 81 wrote:Yeah I haven't read one complaint about his ranking, some even pointed out the fact that he moved up from last year and had a bad year.

Are you saying you didn't read the second post on the first page, or are you saying you don't consider it a complaint?

Rose over Kobe after the season he had makes absolutely no sense ..

Not an easy thing to rank all players regardless of their positions but ESPN one is horrible.
JGC

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:23 pm

Again, Rose was, and is, out for how long? He's trying to recover from ANOTHER major injury, this one to his knee on a ligament that is VITAL to the explosiveness and elusiveness he's shown.

Who knows if he's going to be back at that level ever again. But if and when he comes back at least as good as he was before the injury, then sure, he's better than Kobe.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:25 pm

venky wrote:Dwight Howard is NOT better than Kobe Bryant. I am so tired of the disrespect towards Kobe.

At this point? It's definitely arguable that Howard is better. I know I said Kobe was the best player on our team, but I think that's more of an argument for who's most important to the team. I was wrong, I should have said Dwight. If we're discussing who is more vital to the team, it's Kobe because he is the one that will lead the team to/in the Finals, not Dwight.

But Dwight is the better player at this point in their careers. Dwight impacts the game in more ways than Kobe these days. Just the way it is.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:35 pm

therealdeal wrote:Again, Rose was, and is, out for how long? He's trying to recover from ANOTHER major injury, this one to his knee on a ligament that is VITAL to the explosiveness and elusiveness he's shown.

Who knows if he's going to be back at that level ever again. But if and when he comes back at least as good as he was before the injury, then sure, he's better than Kobe.

I mean you can argue it both ways. Kobe is already really old. And now he's another year older. I still like Kobe over Derrick Rose even when DRose is healthy personally. But I don't think any ranking that put a healthy Derrick over Kobe is necessarily faulty either.

Either way, this is all moot. I was responding to the poster who read through 3 pages of whining and said he did not see a single complaint about the ranking. LOL!
JGC

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:46 pm

JGC wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Again, Rose was, and is, out for how long? He's trying to recover from ANOTHER major injury, this one to his knee on a ligament that is VITAL to the explosiveness and elusiveness he's shown.

I mean you can argue it both ways. Kobe is already really old. And now he's another year older. I still like Kobe over Derrick Rose even when DRose is healthy personally. But I don't think any ranking that put a healthy Derrick over Kobe is necessarily faulty either.

Either way, this is all moot. I was responding to the poster who read through 3 pages of whining and said he did not see a single complaint about the ranking. LOL!

Rose healthy... I'd say he's probably better than Kobe, but not by much. He's just a more willing passer and he can create easier scoring opportunities for himself than Kobe does (not that Kobe can't, but he doesn't usually). He's not a great defender and that's him trying hard. Kobe is a good defender that seriously doesn't care about defense 85% of the time.

Rose by a nose.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Murdock on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:55 pm

better then I expect from ESPN ... anyway it is pretty much interchangeable from 3rd place till 6th anyway ... I think you just have to distance LeBron and Durant at this point IMO
Murdock

Postby Frank Dux on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:59 pm

venky wrote:Dwight Howard is NOT better than Kobe Bryant. I am so tired of the disrespect towards Kobe.

At this point in his career, yes he is. I don't know why some of you are having such a hard time with Kobe's obvious decline. When healthy, Dwight has arguably the biggest impact in the NBA.

At this point you can really only argue that Lebron James, and Kevin Durant are better. If i'm starting a team from scratch, i'm probably picking Dwight over both of them, building an elite defense, and to have a nightly mismatch at the center position on both ends of the floor.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:31 pm

venky wrote:Dwight Howard is NOT better than Kobe Bryant.

Why not? There is only one player in the NBA that has more impact then Dwight on both ends on the floor, and his name is LeBron James. Dwight is clearly a #3 player in the league right now, and with some work (hint: Kareem) he could be better then Durant. Although he's older then KD, so I would not count on it.

Now, if the question is: does he have a better skill set then Bryant? -- the answer is obviously no. No one does. But, using that logic, Duncan would still be a top 5 player in the league, because his skill set is amazing. Unfortunately, people get older, so they slow down considerably and lose some explosiveness. That's really not a knock on Kobe... I love the guy, and it's amazing to be a top 5-6 player in the league after playing so many minutes, having multiple surgeries and so on. It's a testament to Kobe's work ethics more then anything else.

But yes, Dwight should be ranked higher at this point in their careers. And the same thing, arguably, goes for Chris Paul. I don't think Rose should be ranked higher then Kobe, because we don't know if he can even come back 100% healthy. Unlike Dwight, who is obviously getting back to his top form.

Therefore, this kind of ranking:

Bron
Durant
Dwight
Paul
Kobe

for the top 5 NBA players looks about right.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby v1n5anity on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:35 pm

therealdeal wrote:

At this point? It's definitely arguable that Howard is better. I know I said Kobe was the best player on our team, but I think that's more of an argument for who's most important to the team. I was wrong, I should have said Dwight. If we're discussing who is more vital to the team, it's Kobe because he is the one that will lead the team to/in the Finals, not Dwight.

But Dwight is the better player at this point in their careers. Dwight impacts the game in more ways than Kobe these days. Just the way it is.

Thank you! I have been stressing this for so long! Dwight is our best player.
v1n5anity

Postby venky on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:05 pm

This team goes as Kobe goes. He is our first option and our closer and he, not Dwight at this point, can be counted to lead the team to the promised land.

I haven't forgotten all the hate Kobe got for not being the first option or the man when Shaq was here and I'm not about to stop.

The haters reap what they sow. They can't discredit Kobe for not being the man and then turn around and discredit him when he is currently the man.

Also, I'm not talking about Lakers fans. Talking about the haters out there.
venky

Postby karacha on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:15 pm

venky wrote:This team goes as Kobe goes. He is our first option and our closer and he, not Dwight at this point, can be counted to lead the team to the promised land.

Now, this is correct. But it doesn't really have anything to do with the rankings. Kobe is still our #1 guy. Basically, I agree with therealdeal's post.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby venky on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:19 pm

Meh, I'm just keeping consistent with the hater logic that if you aren't the man, you aren't the better player.
venky

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:47 pm

venky wrote:Meh, I'm just keeping consistent with the hater logic that if you aren't the man, you aren't the better player.

Kobe wasn't really the better play back then though anyway. For a good 4 year stretch (99-03) Shaq was the most dominant force the League has seen in the new era. He was unstoppable. Kobe ranked a close second. Maybe 2002 Kobe pulled up even i think. But who cares what haters say? Kobe has the rings.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:55 pm

venky wrote:This team goes as Kobe goes. He is our first option and our closer and he, not Dwight at this point, can be counted to lead the team to the promised land. .

What does this even mean?

I see zero argument for Kobe over Dwight. If you are a Kobe-fan first and want to believe he is still is the best then man up and admit it instead pretending like you are a fan of the team and not the player.

1. LeBron
2. Dwight
3. Paul
4. Durant
5. Wade
6. Nowitzki
7. Rose
8. Love
9. Westbrook
10. Kobe

That's about where I would rank Kobe with Aldridge right on his tail.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion