"New Knee" Kobe - "Indiana" Ron - "Young Gun" Morris

"New Knee" Kobe - "Indiana" Ron - "Young Gun" Morris

Postby revgen on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:31 pm

Ever since Mike Brown left, IMO this trio has emerged as one of the better defensive perimeter trios in the NBA. All are roughly similar height-wise, but with different length, strength, and speed ratios, which allows for switching on each other's man.

Kobe's healthy knees and his focus on being an efficient scorer rather than a volume scorer this season has allowed him to invest more energy on defense than what I saw from him last season. He's moving his feet better laterally and committing himself more on that end of the floor.

Despite the hype, Metta World Peace isn't quite "Indiana Ron", but closer to what he was in Houston and his last season wtih the Kings, which is still pretty damn good. And with our focus on turnover defense to get out in transition rather than lockdown defense, Metta has done a great job of getting his quick hands on the ball and forcing transition opportunities in addition to his traditionally lockdown defense. We haven't seen that from him much during his tenure with the Lakers due to Phil and Brown's philosophies.

Morris' defense has been very good so far. His combination of length, strength (due to work in the offseason) and young legs allows him to be a thorn in the side of opposing PG's. He also does a great job of coming from the helpside and distracting opposing players from behind and boxing out players bigger than him to keep them off the glass.

This will definitely change once Nash returns, but I'm hoping that D'Antoni doesn't replace Morris with Blake when he's comes back despite Morris' deficiencies as a playmaker. The perimeter defense is primarily responsible for us bringing "Showtime" back.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Re: "New Knee" Kobe - "Indiana" Ron - "Young Gun" Darius Morris

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:33 pm

^^ Great points, Revgen.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Re: "New Knee" Kobe - "Indiana" Ron - "Young Gun" Morris

Postby Murdock on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:58 pm

I would still prefer if Kobe didn't roam that much and close up more on his guy ... but he is putting in more effort then in seasons past
Murdock

Postby quartzcharm on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:04 pm

I have to respectfully disagree about Kobe being solid on the defensive end. To me, he's looked awful at times on the defensive end this year.
quartzcharm

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:07 pm

I think Kobe's D has been the same as its been in recent years. On ball, guarding his man, he does a great job. He's still a good on ball defender. His problem is that he roams and gambles too much leaving open 3 pt shots and/or us having to rotate to cover his man.

Morris' D has been a pleasant surprise.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Armani on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:17 pm

Kobe is mediocre at best on D. He coasts too much and leaves his man open... Kobe hasn't played good D for years, now. I haven't noticed MWP on defense much this year... but at least his O looks better.

I like Morris on D, though. Don't know how long it has been since we had a good defensive PG starting for this team... too damned long, actually.
Armani

Postby King of Clutch on Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:07 pm

yea kobe has been mediocre so far on d. But can still defend well when he's engaged, like yesterday. Completely shut down mayo and made him a non factor. him n ron
King of Clutch

Postby last stand on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:50 pm

Armani wrote:Kobe is mediocre at best on D. He coasts too much and leaves his man open... Kobe hasn't played good D for years, now. I haven't noticed MWP on defense much this year... but at least his O looks better.

I like Morris on D, though. Don't know how long it has been since we had a good defensive PG starting for this team... too damned long, actually.

kobe is averaging his best defensive numbers in years, averaging better defensive numbers than last seasons lebron james

kobe is holding opposing players to 44% Fg and under 10 per

lets not talk out of our behinds
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:18 am

Morris : solid on ball D , uses his length well to create Tos ... still try to cheat at times by going under the screen and it resulted in 3pts baskets ... overall I'm impressed with his D

Metta has been his usual self ... his only struggle is he can't chase players through screens (not quick enough but nothing new here)

Kobe has been terrible on D ( was better against the Mavs though) ... he's just leaving his man after 5 seconds into the possession for no reason , playing rookie D i.e trying to reach from behind , bad gambles ect ... he's the main pb of our D with Pau
wcsoldier81

Postby Finwë on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:15 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Morris : solid on ball D , uses his length well to create Tos ... still try to cheat at times by going under the screen and it resulted in 3pts baskets ... overall I'm impressed with his D

Metta has been his usual self ... his only struggle is he can't chase players through screens (not quick enough but nothing new here)

Kobe has been terrible on D ( was better against the Mavs though) ... he's just leaving his man after 5 seconds into the possession for no reason , playing rookie D i.e trying to reach from behind , bad gambles ect ... he's the main pb of our D with Pau

C'mon, Kobe's been nowhere near as bad as Pau on D.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:20 am

Finwë wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:Morris : solid on ball D , uses his length well to create Tos ... still try to cheat at times by going under the screen and it resulted in 3pts baskets ... overall I'm impressed with his D

it's not as visible as he plays on the perimeter but yes he's been terrible ...he just got a pass from fans as he has been outstanding on offense
wcsoldier81

Postby purp n gold on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:32 am

I liked the way you outlined that Rev. We have lapses, but we have some tools to be good defensively
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Murdock on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:24 am

last stand wrote:
Armani wrote:Kobe is mediocre at best on D. He coasts too much and leaves his man open... Kobe hasn't played good D for years, now. I haven't noticed MWP on defense much this year... but at least his O looks better.

kobe is averaging his best defensive numbers in years, averaging better defensive numbers than last seasons lebron james

kobe is holding opposing players to 44% Fg and under 10 per

lets not talk out of our behinds

oposing players or SG? most of those are defended by RonRon
Murdock

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:57 am

Kobe's defensive activity is based on who he's guarding. If it's a shooter, he'll leave him open, if it's not a shooter, he'll leave him open.

If it's someone trying to show him up, well, goodnight for you sir.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Lakeshow24 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:38 pm

Finwë wrote:

AGREED. Pau has been terrible on D the past few years, but especially this year. At least on the ball. I'm sure James Worthy could come out of retirement and beat him with the first step... everybody gets around Pau to get a good look at the hoop.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby LakRfAn on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:40 pm

interesting that d12 is not on the list of good defenders

hope it's just the slow road back from injury, but he's playing the worst defense of his career
LakRfAn
Resident Hoops Junkie

Postby XXIV on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:46 pm

I haven't been impressed with Kobe's defense, he leaves shooters open way too often and roams too much for my liking. Another thing that really bugs me is when he turns the ball over and then stops to complain to the ref instead of running back on D.
XXIV

Postby quartzcharm on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Kobe complained a lot during that Memphis game.
quartzcharm

Return to Lakers Discussion